Liquidate your metal

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Thu, Aug 13, 2020 - 1:35am
Tyrion

Liquidate your metal

Quick question to the experts here. If one needed to liquidate some precious metals to trade for fiat, how does the average Joe in an average American town typically do this since you can't just walk into the bank or grocery store and start spending. Note: I know this is trading in the wrong direction, but let's imagine you lost your job and need to pay mortgage or something similarly pressing.

Edited by: Tyrion on Aug 13, 2020 - 1:36am
Thu, Aug 13, 2020 - 2:36pm
11IMIX
-
Chicago, IL

options

Here are some ideas. List is probably far from complete but hopefully provides some help: 1) Know current price. Both the manipulated paper price and what the bigger on-line dealers are selling physical for. Look to see if there is a local coin dealer in the town or neighboring towns you reside in. Most local coin shops survive on foot traffic and need to replenish inventory. You would take your stack in he would do some general tests for purity or authenticity. They are in the business of making money so depending on what you have (eagles, rounds, bars etc...) his buying price may be different that what you expect. In a bull market with scarcity you should get over spot. You could put an ad on Craig's list and meet at a coffee shop if you are the trusting/daring type. Most on-line dealers have a policy on buying your metal. If you go to their site you can get info. Some jewelry stores may buy your metal. Call ahead so you don't waste either of your time. I personally did business with a larger local bullion deal and kept the packaging and receipts. He had a policy of buying back anything that he sold. So maybe something like that. Coin shows or collectable shows that roll through town may have a vender that will buy or you could get a booth yourself. I'm sure there are other ways but dealing with a reputable dealer that has a good history is a good choice.

I miss my old dog.

Thu, Aug 13, 2020 - 2:41pm
11IMIX
-
Chicago, IL

example

I miss my old dog.

Thu, Aug 13, 2020 - 2:50pm
11IMIX
-
Chicago, IL

Another idea..

There are several options available now that you can buy an $amt of gold and they give you a debit card worth the value. That way you technically own metal but you can swipe if you need to. I think Peter Schiff offers something like that.

I miss my old dog.

Thu, Aug 13, 2020 - 8:08pm 11IMIX
Tyrion

peter schiff account

yes, I remember Peter Schiff talking about having a checking account backed with real gold on one of his podcasts. I like that idea. Not sure if that's actually available yet or not.

Thu, Aug 13, 2020 - 10:52pm 11IMIX
dangerkitty

Debit card

Perpetual Assets offers a debit card that is backed by silver, I got one myself about 6 years ago. In short, fill an application, buy the metal on their site, they send a card, you're good to go and you can add metal at anytime. It spends like any other debit card, the merchant sees a regular payment, has no idea that there's silver in that account.

Perpetual Assets upgraded their site in the last month, you can check your balances, add metal, or what ever. There is a miniscule storage fee each month, so tiny that it's laughable.

I haven't used it yet, been saving it, for times of extreme duress.

randomness