'Silver - The Long Con' Any thoughts for a silver acolyte?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Sat, May 23, 2020 - 11:51am
GoldVapour

'Silver - The Long Con' Any thoughts for a silver acolyte?

Hi guys i am new here (and to PM's generally), thanks to Turd for hosting such an informative place.

I'm learning a lot and appreciating all the articles & threads.

This one crossed my path from Twitter however and I wondered if people with a deeper understanding of the sector had read it, the summary of his points are

- Silver is only a good form of money if gold is the only reserve currency.

- The GSR, or gold/silver ratio, is the original Nigerian e-mail scam.

- Silver, like money, is fundamentally more akin to a cryptocurrency than it is to gold.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4349639-silver-long-con

I've just taken what i envisage to be a decade+ long position in SLV and reading this has rustled my jimmies.....perhaps he is trying to shake out the weak hands?

Any thoughts much appreciated, thank you.

Sun, May 24, 2020 - 7:33am

I read the article.

But see no analysis.

Supply and demand are not dated for timeliness.

What about support and resistance? No parameters are discussed for the short, medium and long term trading range price limits for either metal.

It's rhetoric about sentiment. Could be considered from a contrarian point of view, except there is debate in the comments, and general resistance to his thesis. That suggests that silver is not at the edge of one of it's ranges at least.

Get a ruler out and start drawing lines and counting years.

argentus maximus

Rhythm and Price http://www.greenhobbymodel.com/rhythmnprice.html

This analyst - global markets

Sun, May 24, 2020 - 12:05pm
zman

Silver and Deflation

Silver is a great investment when there's economic growth and business inflation, but that's not what we have today. The CRB commodity index is near 30 year lows, that is screaming deflation. The bond market is also screaming deflation.

The velocity of money is crashing even lower today, again more signs of deflation.

For some strange reason, some investors think that bailing out companies (QE) is bullish for silver, obviously it isn't. Do you what's bullish for silver, more money in the hands of the working class. That's not likely to happen in our lifetimes.

Mon, May 25, 2020 - 2:41am argentus maximus
GoldVapour

argentus maximus wrote:

argentus maximus wrote:

But see no analysis.

Supply and demand are not dated for timeliness.

What about support and resistance? No parameters are discussed for the short, medium and long term trading range price limits for either metal.

It's rhetoric about sentiment. Could be considered from a contrarian point of view, except there is debate in the comments, and general resistance to his thesis. That suggests that silver is not at the edge of one of it's ranges at least.

Get a ruler out and start drawing lines and counting years.

Thanks for responding, it felt like an interesting article to post having just joined up to a PM's forum.

I enjoyed reading the comments and the pushback against his thesis indeed, made me feel a bit better about my position ;)

Checking out your Rhythm & Price links now, thank you

Mon, May 25, 2020 - 2:43am zman
GoldVapour

zman wrote:

zman wrote:

Silver is a great investment when there's economic growth and business inflation, but that's not what we have today. The CRB commodity index is near 30 year lows, that is screaming deflation. The bond market is also screaming deflation.

The velocity of money is crashing even lower today, again more signs of deflation.

For some strange reason, some investors think that bailing out companies (QE) is bullish for silver, obviously it isn't. Do you what's bullish for silver, more money in the hands of the working class. That's not likely to happen in our lifetimes.

Thanks for responding, interesting idea, and there is def no money going to the working class unfortunately, i get the feeling the middle will be struggling as well!

Mon, May 25, 2020 - 4:04am
11IMIX
-
Chicago, IL

Deflation?

Sure on some things but other necessities are inflating. What is bullish for silver is the preservation of purchasing power in a world where faith is being lost in its reserve currency. There are only so many places to run to when trying to avoid the transfer of wealth in an economic implosion of biblical proportions. Silver/gold should be high on the list. Silver is not an investment in my opinion but a preservation vehicle. Another nice vehicle is a mid 40's Willy's Jeep. Fun to drive and the chicks dig it.

I miss my old dog.

Sat, Jun 6, 2020 - 2:44pm
Mark1

Advice me please

Hi, I'm new here! I'll try not to go off topic. Be patient.

I am interested in silver since in Euro (my currency) it is performing very well and I've read very good things about it. At the moment I hold an ETC, a popular one but holding physical silver I guess would be better. I've checked popular online reviews on Bullionvault like revenueland and similar blogs and I've found out that the storage price for silver is much higher than for gold. Gold storage is about 4USD per month but silver is 8USD. Any help is welcome.

randomness