Suggestion for the Forums

52 posts / 0 new
Last post
lilbromarky1
lilbromarky1's picture
Hat Tips: 2464
Suggestion for the Forums

Hello Designers, a few ideas for the forums. 

1.  Having trouble reading and skimming the topics.  The "new" out to the right of the new topics is a bit cluttered, should be a different color or maybe not there since 0 replies might also indicate new.

2.  The red text doesnt sit on the gold and silver background very well, although I understand that the gold and silver background was done on purpose.

3.  The font is a little thin for thread titles.  Try taking something a little bit more rounded, and adding bold tags to it.  This goes for inside the threads as well.  Need fatter font.  That's just me.  I dont have vision problems its just a convenience and easier on the eyes thing. 

That's it for now.  Love the site.  Want to see it become the best that it can be.  Thanks again Turd.

--Mark

Like my ideas? Check our blog at: http://backtobasicseconomics.blogspot.com/

Aronnax
Aronnax's picture
Hat Tips: 547
How to request a thread be made Sticky?

Is there a mechanism for suggesting/requesting permanent threads? Specifically, I am thinking of threads such as

Pailin's Trading Corner

in the forum

stephanie
stephanie's picture
Hat Tips: 9983
Thanks for the suggestions

Site designer here - Appreciate the suggestions, Mark, and definitely agree on having the "new" link stand out a bit more. We're working on site bugs and functionality at the moment, but in the least I'll take a look at the "new" link soon and consider the other feedback as well. 

padme
padme's picture
Hat Tips: 846
I have some difficulty too

This place get really big all of a sudden, it is difficult to find all the people and see what they have to say.

I sometimes goes to a Chinese forum, I am going to put a link here, see if there is anything we can learn from, or maybe I am just used to their format because I have been going there for a while now. Anyway, here is the link:

http://bbs.wenxuecity.com/finance/?goback

Too bad, It's in Chinese. Let me try to explain little bit:

The gray area with boxes are different forums you can go to.

Under that there is a green area, these are article that are popular, so when they page turns, these article will stay a little longer.

Beneath, the blue area, are current threads. The most current one on top, the older ones get pushed to next page.

The IDs off all the correspondent are shown, if I am interested in some ones opinion, I just click on his/her title statement, then the whole statement is shown.

Again, maybe I am just used to the format. I do not know if others would agree with me.

Wallyworld
Wallyworld's picture
Hat Tips: 90
Start threads with the latest post

Is it feasible to show the latest post in a thread when one opens a thread? All the threads open up on page one which means one has to search for the last page to see the newest post. This is starting to get cumbersome in popular threads.

Eric Original
Eric Original's picture
at the bottom of the thread

at the bottom of the thread you can pick your own preferences.  Newest first if you want.

This isn't a metals blog anymore. It's a right wing circle jerk, masquerading as a metals blog.

Daedalus Mugged
Daedalus Mugged's picture
Hat Tips: 851
Introductions?

I was a long time lurker at the old site, but for privacy reasons did not want to participate.  Willing to share enough with Turd, but not 3rd parties, so I am new to sharing.  I feel like I almost personally know a lot of the old timers, but they have no idea who I am.  Is there a place for people to introduce themselves?

Aronnax
Aronnax's picture
@Daedalus Mugged

Welcome aboard Daedalus -- perhaps you can try http://www.tfmetalsreport.com/forum/how-you-found-turd/247

Aronnax
Aronnax's picture
Hi Stephanie - site visibility suggestions

Big Thank You to Mark and yourself for an outstanding job on the site. A bit chaotic for now, but I  am sure it will only improve as people learn.

Just some ideas re: making the site more visible (and hopefully increasing the adspace premiums as well):

a) facebook / myspace pages for TF Metals? Minimalist, low-key with a brief description and status updates linking to Turd's posts, much like his twitter account?

b) www.alexa.com

www.quantcast.com

technorati.com

registering/collaborating with the above can at least allow people to start noticing the site when looking for PM-related data. Also, Turdites could go and write reviews 

c) cross-links to and from other, like-minded blogs and sites such as chrismartenson.com, jsmineset.com, http://www.oftwominds.com/blog.html -- I am sure you can come up with more, there are a bunch of others listed here that I am sure would be happy to post a link: http://www.tfmetalsreport.com/forum/favoritebest-alternative-information-sites/194

d) every once in a while encourage readers (as Turd did in the intro video) to re-tweet, 'Like' or simply drop links to posts/threads as they move about the interwebs - you'd be surprised at the aggregate impact.

e) consider guest posting on ZH again

f) unsavory though it may perhaps appear at first glance -- contact MarketWatch and/or Business Insider?

g) host xtranormal video contests on select themes, post results in a dedicated forum thread and may the highest # of hat tips win? quite cheesy, but crowd-sourced, freely produced YouTube ads for the site is not a bad thing, right?

Once again, thank you for all of your efforts and very impressive achievements thus far -- it's only going to get even better.

stephanie
stephanie's picture
Great Ideas!

Great ideas, CD! I especially love the xtranormal video contest. We'll put it in the suggestion "hat." :-)

PS I have bolded the "new" notification on the forum pages. Will be making other tweaks here and there.

Eric Original
Eric Original's picture
@Stephanie

Would it be possible to hat tip from the Recent Comments page?  I spend a fair amount of time there because I like to see all comments coming from everywhere at once, an approach that is most like the old blog.

If not, that's ok. I can click on a good comment, go to it's source, hat tip it, and then go back.  But that's a lot of extra clicks.

This isn't a metals blog anymore. It's a right wing circle jerk, masquerading as a metals blog.

stephanie
stephanie's picture
Noted

Eric Original wrote:

Would it be possible to hat tip from the Recent Comments page?  I spend a fair amount of time there because I like to see all comments coming from everywhere at once, an approach that is most like the old blog.

If not, that's ok. I can click on a good comment, go to it's source, hat tip it, and then go back.  But that's a lot of extra clicks.

Not a bad idea, will put it on the list of potential site enhancements. Thanks!

terri5125
terri5125's picture
Hat Tips: 698
site great BUT...

as I get to know the site more I do love it BUT...could you maybe consider changing the background color? After hours of reading it gets a little hard on the eyes...well actually "ALOT" hard. Blogspot was definitely easier on the eyes and the font used over there was easier on the eyes also.

Also someone else mentioned having a place where we can read straight through all the comments being made at the different forums all in one place like blogspot, that way if we just wanted to read through we could versus going to each forum. Some of us love to read each forum but it is hard sometimes to keep checking each place. I think it may also be easier for traders trying to keep watch on charts if they could see rolling comments as they were posted.  just a thought and thanks!!

Eric Original
Eric Original's picture
Thx Stephanie

Thx Stephanie                     

Prize Fighter
Prize Fighter's picture
Hat Tips: 3349
rolling comments

terri5125 wrote:

as I get to know the site more I do love it BUT...could you maybe consider changing the background color? After hours of reading it gets a little hard on the eyes...well actually "ALOT" hard. Blogspot was definitely easier on the eyes and the font used over there was easier on the eyes also.

Also someone else mentioned having a place where we can read straight through all the comments being made at the different forums all in one place like blogspot, that way if we just wanted to read through we could versus going to each forum. Some of us love to read each forum but it is hard sometimes to keep checking each place. I think it may also be easier for traders trying to keep watch on charts if they could see rolling comments as they were posted.  just a thought and thanks!!

The rolling comments already exist.  To the right of each page find the "Recent Comments" box and click "more" at the bottom to go to this page:

http://www.tfmetalsreport.com/comments/recent

Eric Original
Eric Original's picture
Terri5125

Go to that gray sidebar that says "Recent Comments", and click on the "more" at the bottom.  That shows all new comments from the blogs and the Forums all in one place as they roll in.  That's the one that I was asking Stephanie about enhancing so we can hat tip from it.

I agree, the stark white background is a bitch.

Eric Original
Eric Original's picture
Stephanie

I noticed that when I go to "my account" there's a tab there for Bookmark.  How do I bookmark something? I assume you are talking about bookmarking a comment somehow, as opposed to the normal bookmarking a website within my browser.

Eric Original
Eric Original's picture
Stephanie

The hat tip leaderboard does not appear to be updating.  SilverBleve is north of 150 already.

Jimbio
Jimbio's picture
Hat Tips: 243
Forum suggestion

While we're on the topic of Forums suggestions... How about sections of the forum dedicated to geographical locations? It's be a great way to chat and meet up with fellow turdites. It'd be quite easy to branch out from countries to cities etc.

Great design Steph, keep up the good word.

stephanie
stephanie's picture
Background

terri5125 wrote:

Hi Terri5125,

Thanks for your feedback. We are definitely open to hearing usability requests - unfortunately, you may have noticed, that while one or two people have requested a non-white background, we've also had one or two requests for less color and a more "Zero Hedge" style stark design - which is a site also on a white background. :-)

Some people prefer san-serif fonts, some like the serif font.

So you can see that it's going to be impossible to completely please everyone. Though we are doing our best!

May I suggest - and I actually do a lot of my online reading now on a tablet - especially if you are using a handheld device, sometimes the default brightness setting can be a bit high. I will actually lower my brightness setting when reading websites with my tablet - especially when it's later in the evening. You can also do this with any regular monitor. This may help with the eye strain.

This is not to say we're not open to adjusting the background - but right now my focus is a bit more on functional issues (like getting quotes working on the blog comments). Thank you!

stephanie
stephanie's picture
Bookmark feature

Eric Original wrote:

I noticed that when I go to "my account" there's a tab there for Bookmark.  How do I bookmark something? I assume you are talking about bookmarking a comment somehow, as opposed to the normal bookmarking a website within my browser.

Click "bookmark" on any blog post or forum topic, and you will find it in your "Bookmarks" tab under "My account" linked at the top. 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Syndicate contentComments for "Suggestion for the Forums"