DIY SOLAR POWER SET UP INFO

29 posts / 0 new
Last post
Gramp
Gramp's picture
Hat Tips: 5289
DIY SOLAR POWER SET UP INFO

SOLAR POWER INFO FORUM

Started this forum because I have seen several members mention Basic SOLAR POWER setups.

I have little experience, so I have been doing some research. Recently purchased my first 50 watt panel.  Will be setting it up soon.

Anyone with good info about small/ medium scale solar power can post here!

- RENEWABLE ENERGY

-EMERGENCY POWER

-BATTERY OPTIONS

-GRID TIE INVERTERS

This Guy has some good info.

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:06

~ Even a dead Fish can go with the flow ~

Gramp
Gramp's picture
This Is a Do-able set up...

Grid Tie Inverter

Gramp
Gramp's picture
Off Grid Cabin

kjm
kjm's picture
Hat Tips: 879
Good stuff

Good stuff Gramp..........very interesting.

ata
ata's picture
Hat Tips: 19593
Best site for d.i.y.energy self sufficiency plans - -

http://www.builditsolar.com/index.htm  This site contains a huge volume of information re: all aspects of solar,wind etc.

In high tide fish eat the ants, in low tide ants eat the fish. - Thai proverb

ata
ata's picture
Thermosyphon water system - - -

http://homepower.com/view/?file=HP58_pg30_Bocci  My own main interest is in thermosyphon water heating systems. The link above is a good easy to build one. The thermosyphon system is so simple and reliable. The critical thing to remember is that the storage tank must be above the solar panel. This type of set up is ideal for anyone getting started because it will only take a couple of years to pay for itself.                                            

Gramp
Gramp's picture
Is the thermosyphon system

Is the thermosyphon system used as a sort of "pre heater" for the main home heating system, or independant?

ata
ata's picture
Go Gramps - - good on yer mate - - -

All solar systems can be used as a preheat system or as the main heating system.  It comes down to if your prepared to rough it, or prefer luxury on demand - i personally don't have a problem with roughing it. Knowing that you're pulling your own act together is in itself an act of cleanliness. Lets face it, by generating your own power you are not supporting a bunch of dodgy tax schemes                                                                       Thermosyphon is the mother of all simple systems -( Moass) - - no pumps or moving parts - - - just pure thermodynamics.                                                                                             Don't let the collectivist's cramp (gramp) your style. Energy is free.

Gramp
Gramp's picture
Learning all the time...

Learning all the time...

Mike7.62
Mike7.62's picture
Hat Tips: 1084
For all interested in AE...

...or any other type of Do It Yourself (DIY) power projects, this website and the man who runs it George, is top notch. He pulls no punches, and doesn't suffer fools who don't comprehend what a BTU is lightly. I have done business with him, and when he talks energy, I listen.

www.utterpower.com

Larry
Larry's picture
Hat Tips: 7685
Gramp, cool

A solar thread... every good blog should have one. Thanks all for the info, links and such. With so much to read it'll take a bit. BTW, I'm a half DIY'er. Blank out when it comes to solar construction and my eyes glaze over trying to decipher the guides and manuals for solar, geothermal, battery and motor configurations and all that. Can do some carpentry, general repair and the like, but other than hand and power an odd ceiling fan I don't try electrical... beyond toilet stoppers/floats/handles and basic sprinkler system pvc joining I don't do plumbing. Don't work on motors or engines of any kind. No roofing either. Oh, I can paint. :)

Man... that's a lot that I don't do. Wish I could. Not lazy or anything, just know my limitations and time is of the essence. And knowing my own threshold of pain, learning curve and necessary tedium. Plus, I'd like to have things accomplished before the SHTF. Note to self: better hurry along.

Now that I've explained how lazy and inept I am with most technical stuff, it'll be easier to describe my easy button approach. Did I say that I hate batteries? I do. They confound me.

Anyway, I firmly believe that one like myself should hire the experts with solar projects and let them do it all, from soup to nuts. Here's my ideal scenario: Gain general solar power understanding (done), find contractor (as close as possible) in the community (have had some good discussions but not there yet), get options, parameters and expectations of scope/scale/quality  along with corresponding turnkey estimates, sign the contract... then sit back and watch my new solar well being drilled and built out).

I'll be looking for the best, easiest way to accomplish this solar well without breaking a sweat. My sweat will continue to be given to all the other myriad projects, garden, landscaping, random repairs and honey-do's.  :)

In the meantime, I'll be reading the stuff you guys have linked and connecting any missing dots. Thanks again. I'll circle back soon.

Gramp
Gramp's picture
Larry

Sounds like the system u would be looking for will need to have a significant Battery Bank.

Well pump needs good amount of battery power. But a system like that should give good amount of power for lighting, refrigeration.

A conventional battery bank is most economical. But they would require a bit of routine up keep. I am still new to long term battery care. But it's not difficult, if the contractor walked you through the steps.

Unless you spent some Big $, and got AGM (advanced glass mat) Batteries. they are maintenance free i think.

murphy
murphy's picture
Hat Tips: 17168
http://www.tfmetalsreport.com/forum/2973/diy-solar-power-set-inf

Came across this company. Not diy but could be good resource.

ata
ata's picture
This house generates all it's own power - - -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6-p4znRU6fY

Ganja Jane
Ganja Jane's picture
Hat Tips: 553
I started looking into this

I started looking into this months ago.  It's nice to see a thread on it here.

http://www.rain.org/~philfear/how2solar.html

DIY.

"La cucaracha, la cucaracha, Ya no quieres caminar, Porque no tienes, Porque le falta, Marihuana que fumar."

Ganja Jane
Ganja Jane's picture
Hat Tips: 553
I started looking into this

I started looking into this months ago.  It's nice to see a thread on it here.

http://www.rain.org/~philfear/how2solar.html

DIY.

"La cucaracha, la cucaracha, Ya no quieres caminar, Porque no tienes, Porque le falta, Marihuana que fumar."

Gramp
Gramp's picture
Can't wait to get home from

Can't wait to get home from the in-laws to set up my 50 watt panels.  Found my batteries at a marine supply store. Have ordered a small Grid Tie Inverter. as well as a small DC to AC inverter.  It's a start, and much more easy to learn in the comfort of normalcy, rather than after the fact. I will make a quick vid of my setup once it comes together!

Homesteader
Homesteader's picture
Hat Tips: 166
I'm all for solar to power

I'm all for solar to power your home, BUT be aware it takes quite a bit of money to produce a SERIOUS amount of power.  I have a 6,000watt system that produces about 500-600kw/hrs of power per month.....about 3/4 of our monthly needs, and it was $30k.

Do NOT buy little "grid tie inverters" off Fleabay and plan on plugging them in the wall with the hopes of really cutting your dependence on the grid....not only are they dangerous, non-ultility approved, but all I've seen are Chinese junk.

Boardwalk
Boardwalk's picture
Hat Tips: 2613
Will Be Checking . . .

. . . in from time to time as a PV system for our homestead is slowly making its way to the top of the projects list.

"Be right and sit tight"

Gramp
Gramp's picture
Love to see some pics of your

Love to see some pics of the system you have Homesteader.

Sounds like you had it professionally installed.

Are you running any grid tie systems, or batt. bank?

I have no intention of leaving the grid tie connected  when i am not home. Have used inverters for DC to AC power at my cabin for years. That is safe and simple. I had to start somewhere, so adding a few panels to charge my batteries so i don't have to carry them home for charging will be a HUGE gain for me.

3/4 of your needed elec. sounds like a success!

Thanks for the "input" lol!

Homesteader
Homesteader's picture
Hat Tips: 166
Gramp, Self installed

Gramp,

Self installed system. 

It's grid tie with battery backup.  Inverters ( twin Outback 2500w  ) produce 240v the utility requires for connection, but when the grid is down, these inverters close a set of contacts to divert power where you direct.....a manual transfer switch in my case, then to a sub-panel of circuits I designated as "critical" ( fridge, freezers, lighting, etc ) so they always have power.  This is the least economical of the ways to grid tie, but does provide a backup in grid down situations.....which I was more interested in than a "payback".....everybody that looks at mine says "what do you figure the back pay period is"......and I reply "probably never......but if the grid goes down, I have a shot at living in the 20th century compared to all those previous ones... and I won't be thinking about payback then....."

Using inverters at your cabin is a cool thing ( I recently did a 1.5kw system totally off grid for a buddy's cabin ), I just wanted folks to be aware those "plug in the wall" inverters they can buy cheap from Fleabay are mostly junk, and maybe dangerous junk ( back feeding the line ) depending on how they are used.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "DIY SOLAR POWER SET UP INFO"