Tracking sales price of physical silver (and gold) on ebay

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
bern
bern's picture
Hat Tips: 1221
Tracking sales price of physical silver (and gold) on ebay

I'm building a charting tool for a website to track sales of Silver Eagles, Gold Eagles and Krugerrands on ebay.  I'm hoping to have a tool that's useful for comparing the average sale price against spot.  Question for you Turdites - what would you find more useful/interesting - previous day sales only or a moving average over 3 or 7 days or so?  Also, is there another coin (Maples?) or product (that can be found via searches with a high degree of false positives) that you would like to see in such a chart?

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:08

Liberty Library ~ PM Bug

bern
bern's picture
That should say "reporting"

That should say "reporting" tool, not "charting" tool.  It will report a table, not a historical graph.

Liberty Library ~ PM Bug

dabblingman
dabblingman's picture
Hat Tips: 138
I think I've.....

already seen one of these online. Can't remember who built it - but definitely saw it before.

Dr Durden
Dr Durden's picture
Hat Tips: 5371
dabblingman wrote:already

dabblingman wrote:

already seen one of these online. Can't remember who built it - but definitely saw it before.

24hgold.com

What I'd personally like to see in a tracker is what the premium over spot was compared to the last time spot was at that price. For ex, when spot was $1800 and a 1 oz Eagle went for $1900 and then again for $1888 two weeks later when gold hit $1800 again. Probably too complicated, but it would be interesting to see how premium and sentiment are correlated. 

Got GIABO?

"It's called the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." ~George Carlin

exiledbear
exiledbear's picture
Hat Tips: 3694
Yeah, me too

What I'd personally like to see in a tracker is what the premium over spot was compared to the last time spot was at that price. For ex, when spot was $1800 and a 1 oz Eagle went for $1900 and then again for $1888 two weeks later when gold hit $1800 again. Probably too complicated, but it would be interesting to see how premium and sentiment are correlated. 

​Ex-KITCO, I'm not sure where you'd go to get spot quotes though. If there was a place that furnished the spot gold feed for free, I'd be pretty darn motivated to integrate it into what I've built already. I too want to know if the spread between physical and paper is widening.

BTW, I still maintain and update my Ebay Gold Bullion Ticker (EGBTicker) - http://sourceforge.net/p/egbticker/home/Home/

I don't do builds of it, but if you have VS 2010 installed, it is confirmed buildable by someone other than I. I run it most of the time on my own desktop, so I'm eating the dogfood, as they say.

http://exiledbear.wordpress.com

theworldhaschanged
theworldhaschanged's picture
Hat Tips: 99
A proxy for 90% silver

A proxy for 90% silver pricing would br good. Consider 1964 Half Dollars.

bern
bern's picture
Dr Durden wrote:... What I'd

Dr Durden wrote:

eBay doesn't offer that fine a detail of their sales history.  They are not reporting the exact time that individual sales are completed (auctions ending), so there is no opportunity to match the sale data against the spot price at the time of sale.  I suppose it would be possible to compare the avg. daily price versus the avg. spot price for a day, but since it appears that the volume of sales is too low (at least when considering single day data), I wouldn't have confidence that it would be providing a valid comparison. 

For example, if only 3 gold eagles were sold in a day, and the spot price for gold had traded over a $30 range throughout the day, the avg. sales price vs. avg. spot price likely wouldn't show a true picture of the premium people were willing to pay.  You really need to know when in the day the auction/sale was concluded.

Given this, the analysis between what the avg. sales price means versus the spot trading charts is really left to an individual to interpret whatever meaning they can glean from it.  Hence my initial question - which data set would provide a more meaningful point of reference for this sloppy comparison - single day sales or a moving average of a few days or a week or a month?  Given the limitations in comparing to the spot charts, I think this data is more useful for gauging trends that performing finer analysis.

The table I'm building is similar to what 24hgold has, but slightly different.  Mine will also be showing volume - the number of sales reported.

Liberty Library ~ PM Bug

bern
bern's picture
theworldhaschanged wrote:A

theworldhaschanged wrote:
A proxy for 90% silver pricing would br good. Consider 1964 Half Dollars.

Let me see what I can do. 

Liberty Library ~ PM Bug

PastTense
PastTense's picture
Hat Tips: 25
Why can't you get the spot

Why can't you get the spot prices the same place this spreadsheet does?

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AsAy8x4Mq0aSdEsyeFFUTERtY2JHZ05uRU5PV21KZkE&hl=en&authkey=CPmaiOsH#gid=1

bern
bern's picture
Spot prices can be found in

Spot prices can be found in many places.  That's a measure of the futures (paper) market price.  I wanted (and now have) a measure of the price of bullion in the physical market.  It's not an exact science, but useful information to gauge the premium over spot. 

Liberty Library ~ PM Bug

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Tracking sales price of physical silver (and gold) on ebay"