Following Monday's podcast with Luke Gromen, I thought it would be fun to next visit with our old friend (and fellow Cornhusker), Brent Johnson. For this discussion, Brent and I cover several of the same topics as yesterday while incorporating Brent's unique perspective on the markets.
So for this podcast, Brent and I begin with the same Krugman tweet that Luke and I discussed yesterday:
Repeat after me: debt is money we owe to ourselves. It doesn't make the nation as a whole poorer. https://t.co/yyAkexUV0N— Paul Krugman (@paulkrugman) May 22, 2020
From there, we discuss:
- the liquidity-driven necessity of QE∞
- the impact of an official yuan devaluation
- global demand for dollars driving its relative value higher
- whether QE∞ will ultimately be inflationary
- the possibility of global stagflation
- and quite a bit in between
Many thanks to Brent for being so generous with his time. I think you'll find this podcast to be extremely interesting and thought-provoking.