Pailin's Trading Corner

42422 posts / 0 new
Last post
Thu, Feb 14, 2019 - 9:52am (Reply to #42325)
Dorothy

Yeah it was new ESMA "margin" rules

Basically IG offers insurance, "guaranteed stops", which costs more in spreads and has a deeper minimum stop distance, but offers fixed risk, now that used to mean you were exempt from margin requirements, and what I used to do was move stops down on winning positions and multiply them...

The new rules not only increased margin requirements but required full margin on insured positions, so in order to do the same thing now you would need to have huge deposits.

As far as I understand they have been eliminating the margin difference between spreadbetting and futures, which has made it prohibitively expensive...

and crushed the UK spreadbetting industry

loads of articles about it on google

EDIT:

Prolly shouldn't say but... ICMarkets is Australian

(Sadly no insurance there though.)

Thu, Feb 14, 2019 - 10:08am
Dorothy

Added more SPX 2500 MARCH Puts

really cheap

Bon Jovi - Keep The Faith

GLTA!!!

Thu, Feb 14, 2019 - 11:37pm (Reply to #42327)
HappyNow
-
Canada

Dorothy wrote:

Dorothy wrote:

Basically IG offers insurance, "guaranteed stops", which costs more in spreads and has a deeper minimum stop distance, but offers fixed risk, now that used to mean you were exempt from margin requirements, and what I used to do was move stops down on winning positions and multiply them...

The new rules not only increased margin requirements but required full margin on insured positions, so in order to do the same thing now you would need to have huge deposits.

As far as I understand they have been eliminating the margin difference between spreadbetting and futures, which has made it prohibitively expensive...

and crushed the UK spreadbetting industry

loads of articles about it on google

EDIT:

Prolly shouldn't say but... ICMarkets is Australian

(Sadly no insurance there though.)

Thanks. I had finally figured out how to play along with all that, and was making good in 2017. Then all of a sudden 2018 and the silver action just wasn’t the same and I could have bought some mutual fund and done as well (that’s no fun though).

I’ll google it up.

I’m starting to get the hang of trading silver in the new world but it’s a PITA.

Sounds like you’ve figured out what works for you again. Good luck on your trades.

Swing trade indexed ETFs. Long physical gold, silver, and 1 miner.
Fri, Feb 15, 2019 - 10:45am
Dorothy

@Happy

Ta, you're welcome but I should say as a word of warning.... I keep blowing up after big wins, had no access at all after february, and bled out blind in the following months. Everything started working again before big moves down, which I paper traded using mt4 and ICMarkets demo accounts, to get the hang of margin trading, problem was every time I got an account up 300% I nuked it shortly afterwards, was doing it for a few months, did it several times... Decided 50:1 leverage is about where I wanted it but if I was trading shineys and fx, would need more, was mostly trading indices instead. Since I've had money again... yet to fund an account with £5k, which is realistically the minimum, for me at least, not missing the stress... Funny thing is, once you've traded with real money, paper trading is REALLY HELPFUL, since with real money you spend most of your time trying to convince yourself they're just numbers etc... Had so many muggle friends confused why I cared when it wasn't "real money" but I did. Also can do way more crazy shit paper trading that you would NEVER do with real money, and hopefully learn with an artificaly high risk tolerance, less instant sober puking etc Now with real money I'm being considerably more cautious, but some (MOST) of that is the margin restrictions on IG, the idea of trading uninsured is for now not something I want to try. But yeah, 5k account swings in minutes chasten even the most degenerate, lol. ICMarkets are good but... their hours are limited, unlike IG, so if you are a hair on fire guy that matters. If you are a sensible person or reasonably capitalised, restrictions shouldn't matter but gone are the days when you can play reminiscences out of London, with one notable exception.... VIX margin is a joke, lol GLTA!!!

EDIT:

If you've got the money use the ETFs, PERIOD.

Got a large options bill, not like old times but... would have been better to stick to ETFs.

...with an exit strategy.

(Greed/Impatience Kills)

Further to, high octane trading on short timeframes makes it impossible to partially close, you just crack.

The negative impact of trading 1m on your ability to manage an unlevered portfolio is unestimable...

No matter how small one is relative to the other, you CAN'T do both.

Try at your peryl, soz.

Kid Rock - Bawitdaba

Hate to echo SW but... Man had a point innit.

(Not pretty enough, lol;)

Fri, Feb 15, 2019 - 10:52am
Dorothy

Time for somebody bigger than me to call bullshit...?

https://t.co/o8sbyZKFxn

Kid Rock - Cowboy

I'm with Tyler

EDIT:

Dorothy is just a troll btw...

Deadnaming is fine lol

My pronouns are STILL he, his etc

FURTHER EDIT:

Will shut up if "somebody" stops fucking up Tidal!

These headphones are prescription

Fri, Feb 15, 2019 - 11:22am
Dorothy

Tempted to add more VIX here

but trying to be sensible

Fri, Feb 15, 2019 - 11:09pm
HappyNow
-
Canada

JAL. Thanks. Not every

JAL. Thanks. Not every trader will admit losses, but the real ones do.

I had to look up deadnaming. Yeah I knew who you were but maybe you had your reasons for change and didn't want to out you.

OK so 2018 sucked for both of us. Misery loves company so, cheers! And you're getting the hang of it again, and I'm getting the hang of it again. Good.

50:1 leverage I would just never do. I like gaining but I really hate getting totally wiped out. I trade a 2X ETF. No 3X ETF available here. I haven't used margin in the past 6 years and unlikely to do so again.

When I first started trading it was the parabolic bull but I thought I was a frikkin genius, more than tripled my money (which was large). Got busted out and gave it all back in the crash. Learned a lesson. A year or so later had to learn it again. Think I got it now. I don't swing for the fences (American baseball term) every time any more. If I can get anything over 50% gain in a year I'm happy so don't push myself as hard and avoid the gambler's curse of having to always make it big or lose and then have to make it back on the "next trade". Take some winnings off the table and buy myself or my wife something nice so no matter what happens we have something to show for it.

Look at you with a practise account after years of trading. Smart move by the sound of it you are learning a LOT for free.

One trick pony here. It's silver or nuthin. Your currency trades scare the crap out of me.

Good Luck!

Sun, Feb 17, 2019 - 4:14pm
Dorothy

Re Hordes Of Angry Bears...

Reviewing the Technicals, scotch in hand, and the not inconsiderable pool of my own blood, sharpening claws...devil

Considered lifting shorts and piling back in to gold stocks, still contemplating it, props to those who did, also looking at swapping ALL tradeable bullion from gold to silver, however have resolved to hold fast at least til morning.

XLF is still <200 though...

Monty Python and The Holy Grail - Black Knight HD

Pretty sure there be more sensible, patient folk, above...?

GLTA!!!

Sun, Feb 17, 2019 - 4:36pm
Dorothy

KISS...

When backed into a corner, potentially about to bleed out...

Slipknot - Wait And Bleed [OFFICIAL VIDEO]

Drink more, read less, zoom out...?

(Medical Grade Headphones help too, lol.)

EDIT:

You might say you would but...

WOULD BE LYING.

GLTA!!!

Not sure what my risk tolerance is but suspect I will soon find out...

Daft Punk - Human After All (Official audio)

Got supplies!

Sun, Feb 17, 2019 - 4:52pm
Dorothy

Dupe

Well rather than waste a post...

Fiio X5iii, Fiio A5, Tidal and Sennheiser HD600, that's how I roll!

'I FINK U FREEKY' by DIE ANTWOORD (Official)

TBQH... The A5 and HD600 bit may be excessive lol.

HD800's... not til I land a VERY big fish.

(Can't do caffeine... HAVS)

Sun, Feb 17, 2019 - 6:07pm
Dorothy

Entering negotiations with ICMarkets...

Told them they need to offer you guys something. Not just gonna shill, lol. They don't seem to understand what ESMA did... Offered me plenty under the table but fuck that. Will post a referral if they WTFU

EDIT:

Been chatting with a lovely girl/lady, hopefully I will get a referral link that is less one sided in the week.

Sun, Feb 17, 2019 - 6:22pm
Dorothy

OK fine...

MAY have used the phrase "1000 Share Lots...", we'll see how seriously the "partners"take that soon enough.

GLTA!!!

Mon, Feb 18, 2019 - 8:28pm (Reply to #42338)
HappyNow
-
Canada

Dorothy wrote:

Dorothy wrote:

MAY have used the phrase "1000 Share Lots...", we'll see how seriously the "partners"take that soon enough.

GLTA!!!

I think that’s fair, after all you plan to do that.....one day....

Tue, Feb 19, 2019 - 10:29am
Dorothy

Slashed non German ETF Shorts... Added lots of GDXJ

Not crazy enough for JNUG here

GLTA!!!

EDIT:

Yeah so... some arm chewing.

Decided against posting a referral link, don't want it on my conscience when somebody does the inevitable lol

Tue, Feb 19, 2019 - 11:00am
Dorothy

DXY HSS TOP 1H NECKLINE BREACH!!!

Can I have my charts back please?

Tue, Feb 19, 2019 - 11:16am
Dorothy

EURUSD IHSS BOTTOM 1H NECKLINE BREACH...

Tangling with the final horizontal, has printed higher high...

(NOT FUCKING ASKING)

Wed, Feb 20, 2019 - 7:34am
Dorothy

Sold 1000 shares of GE3S...

So there!

Nickelback - Rockstar (Lyrics, HD)

Incidentally, apparently it doesn't actually make any diference lol.

K... may have lost a bit....

GLTA FOOLS!;)

Wed, Feb 20, 2019 - 8:09am
Dorothy

Sold tradeable gold...

Gradually, incrementally, not sure about the silver bit yet but got til the fix to consider.

Tempted to add to oil shorts rather than gdxj but will wait and see...

EDIT:

Yeah... didn't realise GoldMoney only trades PM Fix...

Fri, Feb 22, 2019 - 9:30am
Dorothy

Swapped GDXJ for JNUG...

Could be very wrong...

(Bricking it, obvs.)

GO BUGS!!!

Fri, Feb 22, 2019 - 10:09am
Dorothy

Watching indices, oil closely...

dumping shorts for miners might sound crazy but...

intersting times?

GLTA!!!

EDIT:

In the end yesterday it all ended up in Shiny and GDXJ...

[Insane ramblings about lines and other unintelligable shit]