Pailin's Trading Corner

42422 posts / 0 new
Last post
Fri, Aug 8, 2014 - 7:56pm (Reply to #39002)
RockerBoxer
-
Canada

Gold and silver art has

Gold and silver art has protection per square footage. Sucks when selling fire and water damaged oil paintings no?

Sat, Aug 9, 2014 - 5:07pm
Dagney Taggart
-
Canada

Beautiful Silver Art!

Video unavailable
-There is no difference between democracy and communism when the majority are unproductive.
Sat, Aug 9, 2014 - 6:38pm
Lord Henry

How to disappear completely

Good tip regarding fish, I dont want to start getting all mercurial.

Just down to basics now. Smoked salmon and fresh fruit. I never

really got beyond plump, but the more weight I lose, the more I

want to lose more. Just makes everything so effortless. Would like

to get back to being where I was at at eighteen (about 12 stone), and

have a very flat stomach again. If success in trading and investing are

eluding you (and you feel like me that Batman is a more likely saviour

than the metals, and also that the whole world of investing has gone

beyond being surreal) too, it's good to find another avenue to channel focus

and energy. The few grey hairs that arrived due to trading have since departed,

and people say I'm looking younger again. I feel that I have a lot of goals in

life that are unfulfilled, and perhaps my mind and body refuse to age because

of this. I can still carry gearboxes around that kids half my age struggle with,

which I find is amusing. One family not mentioned much around here is the

Indian Tata family - one of the worlds richest - and current owners of JLR (Jaguar

Land Rover). India's elite now aspire to owning these, and the company is becoming

stronger every day. From my perspective it's good too. A lot of Indian's reside in the

UK (and are mostly a strong positive force in the economy), and its now becoming quite

clear that they are beginning to underwrite the Jag classic market too. Its all good (until

it isnt). Sorry I missed replying to some PM's - haven't been around much lately. Miners

still hanging in, suspect there will be seasonal strength in the run up to Christmas, but- who

knows ?

Wake me up at HUI 200. No, on 2nd thoughts, please dont bother.
Sun, Aug 10, 2014 - 8:57pm
tonym9

just checkin in

seems things are way too quiet round here...for a number of reasons. i don't check in much here anymore, just aint the same.

some things are the still the same though....20 +/- a few. downtrend isn't broken and i'm still standing pat.

but have been busy refurbing a e250 based rv for the family, bought a few more Fords for future flips, harvested some veggies and planted some more.

glta all

"No! Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try." -Yoda Levitation will levitate until levitation doesn't levitate. Rates be the key matey.
Wed, Aug 13, 2014 - 10:50pm (Reply to #38912)
HappyNow
-
Canada

Nice Call BH

On June 19

BlackHawk wrote:

"Full stop $1335"

Swing trade indexed ETFs. Long physical gold, silver, and 1 miner.
Fri, Aug 15, 2014 - 8:05am
pailin

good grief

Wasn't today supposed to be our first taste of silver without the London Fix?

Yeah?

And smashed. Big surprise :)

To the intelligent man or woman, life appears infinitely mysterious, but the stupid have an answer for everything. -Edward Abbey
Fri, Aug 15, 2014 - 9:07am (Reply to #39006)
pailin

RockerBoxer wrote: Gold and

RockerBoxer wrote:

Gold and silver art has protection per square footage. Sucks when selling fire and water damaged oil paintings no?

Sure. But why should I think there will be a fire anytime soon? Or ever?

To the intelligent man or woman, life appears infinitely mysterious, but the stupid have an answer for everything. -Edward Abbey
Fri, Aug 15, 2014 - 2:06pm
csquared13

picked up another tranche of

picked up another tranche of UCO on yesterday's sell-off. lookin good today.

“Everybody gets what they want out of the market.” -Ed Seykota
Fri, Aug 15, 2014 - 8:14pm (Reply to #39010)
BlackHawk
-
Truman Lake, MO

Gold resistance level

Hello Happy - Thanks for remembering this post. Maybe this price cap warning has helped somebody. This chart might not have any merit to anyone with a little chart schooling in technical analysis. It is just me fooling around thinking that gold sure sticks to these lines over time. I have a small gold short positions based on this chart, ATM. So far so good, but it would be great to see a break out of this trading range, either way.

Could you post that bug out bag video again, Happy? I think that was you that posted it way back when. I need some cheering up and there's nothing like plenty of toilet paper in the woods to set a good mood.

Thinking about STL. Hope it is a quiet weekend there.

Video unavailable

EDIT: BTW, in an informal straw poll of the so-called neighborhood militia group, which is basically a ragtag bunch of racist, redneck gun nuts, they unanimously would chose sides with the STL blacks in a fight with the cops. Good thing we don't have to choose up sides at this point.

Enjoy your weekend and keep counting your blessings.

Sat, Aug 16, 2014 - 3:56am (Reply to #39014)
pailin

BlackHawk wrote: BTW, in an

BlackHawk wrote:

BTW, in an informal straw poll of the so-called neighborhood militia group, which is basically a ragtag bunch of racist, redneck gun nuts, they unanimously would chose sides with the STL blacks in a fight with the cops. Good thing we don't have to choose up sides at this point.

I love stuff like that (well, in the abstract anyway). Remember the big "conflict" of competing goals where The Left vigorously defended blacks making something of themselves, along with a liberal dose (heh) of free speech, a long period of let's say...openness?...if you were black, for a bit, you could do no wrong...but Lefty turned white (truly white, that is!) when more than one black man chose to turn his rapping to reducing women to pieces of meat to be turned out? I do believe that lesser of two evils situation remains unresolved :)

This one resolved a bit easier, eh? Shootin' cops trumps swinging blacks on rope every day of the week? Or maybe it's just easier to buy bulk swingin' rope when there's no lawmen left, merely a matter of priority setting?

And to imagine...some folks really want a fast collapse.

Sat, Aug 16, 2014 - 9:27am (Reply to #39014)
HappyNow
-
Canada

BlackHawk wrote:Hello Happy

BlackHawk wrote:

Hello Happy - Thanks for remembering this post. Maybe this price cap warning has helped somebody. This chart might not have any merit to anyone with a little chart schooling in technical analysis. It is just me fooling around thinking that gold sure sticks to these lines over time. I have a small gold short positions based on this chart, ATM. So far so good, but it would be great to see a break out of this trading range, either way.

Could you post that bug out bag video again, Happy? I think that was you that posted it way back when. I need some cheering up and there's nothing like plenty of toilet paper in the woods to set a good mood.

BH it was a nice piece of cold shower for anyone ready to 'ride the train'. Agree with you about breakout. I am sitting on my hands with what I have and it isn't much. Would like to see break to the low side so I can get in and wait till winter.

Sorry wasn't me with the bug out bag video. Although I have one but it mostly gets used as a long road trip bag.

On the lines of what you and Pailin are talking about. It is scary how some people think they want anarchy and that it would be a good thing. I suspect that what they really want isn't anarchy at all; they want the world their way and assume that out of the ashes their vision will be the one that rises. It's as likely to be Nazi as Fascist as far as history tells. Or factions from another country move in like happens in so much middle east or african government breakdown.

Swing trade indexed ETFs. Long physical gold, silver, and 1 miner.
Sat, Aug 16, 2014 - 11:42am
Lord Henry

Unfullfilled

By dieting alone, my trading time is increasingly being usurped

through engagement of battles of wits with unscrupulous Feebay buyers

around the globe. This weeks top sale went to a Frenchman, who,

being compelled to drive on the wrong side of the road to avoid

becoming Hollandaise, unfortunately allowed his Jag to get sauced

by an enormous oak tree in Surrey. The French are busily making such a

complete merde of everything, perhaps the day may finally come that

Gordon Brown loses his seemingly assured grip on the 'biggest donut in

history' competition. Meanwhile, with Chinese debt approaching $26 Trillion

(according to Ambrose in the Telegraph), is it likely that any of us will live

to experience any true 'fundamentals' for the remainder of our investing lifetimes ?

Feeder - Buck Rogers (LYRICS)
Wake me up at HUI 200. No, on 2nd thoughts, please dont bother.
Mon, Aug 18, 2014 - 7:10am
pailin

lately, gold is better than...

The day to day, who knows..? The monthly and yearly trends, who knows..?

China Contagion: Diamonds & Wine Plunge To 4-Year Lows

zerohedge.com / by Tyler Durden on 08/17/2014 19:04

As classic Ferraris break records on the shores at Pebble Beach, the “poor” rich-man’s (and girl’s) best friend (fine-wine and diamonds) has tumbled to 4-year lows. On the heels of a crackdown on corruption in China, as Bloomberg notes, Fine Wine prices have plunged over 30% from July 2011 highs and the end of the “show-off” era in Xi’s new normal has sent 1 carat dimaond prices also down over 30% from their highs. It would appear the world’s wealthiest are done with such small increments of wealth as fine wines and diamonds, preferring $100 million apartments and $38 million ferraris.

READ MORE

Haven't followed high-end Ferrari in fifteen, maybe twenty years now? But my recollection is that storied GTOs were $3-6m back then. Well here we are add an extra zero in 2014 :)

Panic Out Of Fiat Currencies Accelerating Around The World

kingworldnews.com / August 18, 2014

As the world continues to move into uncharted territory, today a 40-year market veteran sent King World News a tremendous piece which warns that the panic out of fiat currencies is now accelerating around the world. He also covers what investors can do to prepare themselves. This is a fascinating piece from Robert Fitzwilson, founder of The Portola Group. Below is what he had to say in this exclusive piece for King World News.

By Robert Fitzwilson of The Portola Group

August 18 (King World News) – Panic Out Of Fiat Currencies Accelerating Around The World

Well-heeled collectors and investors descended upon Monterey, California this past week for the annual Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance festivities and auctions. One of the cars that went up for auction was a very rare 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO seen below.

The “lucky” winner in the bidding for the car paid a staggering $38.115 million. Horse racing is not the only “game of kings”. The frenzied abandonment of fiat currency and conversion into real, although seemingly wildly overpriced, real assets continues for those attempting to preserve their capital….

READ MORE

I dunno. Is this "escape" from fiat or just consumption spending? FOFOA would tell you these trophies trade back and forth among ultra-wealthy as tokens but not as investments and certainly not as wealth-markers. They just "are". No different than significant properties, yachts, paintings, and for some even entire business units. Added and subtracted at whim, never greatly losing value, never greatly gaining value (relative to other 'hot' speculative vehicles). 10x ROI in twenty years (assuming that $3m buy and $30m sell) is...so-so (I personally beat this ROI all the time, in shorter timeframes too), and then there's the drag of upkeep, insurance, storage, curation (if you're paying somebody else to advise and manage your collection, etc). So who knows? Right??

Mon, Aug 18, 2014 - 10:35am
csquared13

stopped out of UCO. oh

stopped out of UCO. oh well..can't win 'em all.

Mon, Aug 18, 2014 - 10:50am (Reply to #39018)
csquared13

pailin wrote: I dunno. Is

pailin wrote:

I dunno. Is this "escape" from fiat or just consumption spending? FOFOA would tell you these trophies trade back and forth among ultra-wealthy as tokens but not as investments and certainly not as wealth-markers. They just "are". No different than significant properties, yachts, paintings, and for some even entire business units. Added and subtracted at whim, never greatly losing value, never greatly gaining value (relative to other 'hot' speculative vehicles). 10x ROI in twenty years (assuming that $3m buy and $30m sell) is...so-so (I personally beat this ROI all the time, in shorter timeframes too), and then there's the drag of upkeep, insurance, storage, curation (if you're paying somebody else to advise and manage your collection, etc). So who knows? Right??

Agree...once upon a time, I detailed cars for a few wealthy clients. (Think mansions in Bev Hills and Santa Monica Mountains)

One of them always had a collection of classic cars...they were just toys to him..playthings of the wealthy.

Tue, Aug 19, 2014 - 10:19am
Urban Roman
-
Jollyville

Aaaand it's gone

Not gone, exactly. Silver smashed. Because Tuesday.

My expectation of making anything trading it is gone.

My vault subscription has expired. Can I come hang out here?

Tue, Aug 19, 2014 - 10:23am (Reply to #39021)
pailin

Urban Roman wrote: Not gone,

Urban Roman wrote:

Not gone, exactly. Silver smashed. Because Tuesday.

My expectation of making anything trading it is gone.

My vault subscription has expired. Can I come hang out here?

Yes silver is pretty miserable as a bull trade...BUT...if we cross 18.20/18 to the downside, I think the short there will be worth $2-3 on a spike, if not sustained! I did that at 26 and cashed in at 20...no reason to think the same, 4th tap and fail, wouldn't produce the same sort of result :)

Sure you can hang here, as long as Turd lets us have this free space :) :)

Tue, Aug 19, 2014 - 11:21am (Reply to #39022)
Urban Roman
-
Jollyville

K. Beats the heck out of

K. Beats the heck out of waiting for 'HEH'.

Thu, Aug 21, 2014 - 10:54am
pailin

shorting silver

If you're playing the short side, daily bars gives a nice view of where to add to your short (pyramiding) or set your stop/loss. It's a beautiful downhill slope...wished I was into skiing :) :)

Fri, Aug 22, 2014 - 12:40pm
stackaloha
-
paia, HI

stopped out

of UWTI a few days ago. It seems silver is holding fairly well in this range. I bought more USLV toady at a lower tranche.

the caveat here is that I am trading less than 1k simply as a bit of gambling fun/educational experience. No big whoop... If I lose a bit, oh well, it won't be much

worthwhile education is rarely free at anyway.

Now back to your regularly scheduled real traders

The Right Honorable Lord Stack Esq. Ruler Of All Realms, Protector Of His Subjects, Defender Of The Faith and Supreme Imperial Regent.