Pailin's Trading Corner

42673 posts / 0 new
Last post
Fri, Dec 14, 2012 - 4:08pm
Rico

I can see the Corner is not

I can see the Corner is not an AAPL enclave--that's cool.

Personally, I will never buy their competition again, and I am far from a first-adopter geek--way late to the party is more like it, when it comes to tech. There is a world of people just like me that is just getting a taste of this stuff.

If this was a $70 stock that had fallen to $50, nobody would be living this whole psychodrama. On the contrary--the sell side would be trotting out their stupid little "upgrades", and we'd be off and running. I remember a few years ago, when MCD was done, finished, was going to burn in a hell of lawsuits, and everybody was never going to eat fast-food again. Well, I bought that one, too. More recently, bought BAC, AIG, MGM, CY, etc., all of which I understand from the cognoscenti will be going out of business. Just dumb, I guess.

Oh, yeah--I forgot China, which Tyler Durden et al have been assuring me, for the best part of a year, will implode in the greatest economic catastrophe of all time. Unfortunately, I don't have that much time, so I bought that, too.

Fri, Dec 14, 2012 - 4:49pm
Deluxe186
-
NY

Just a quick thought on apple

So the best phone on the market is called oppo its a chinese phone coming to our market. It runs on snapdragon s4 which makes the processor in the iphone5 look like a dinosaur. Its the first phone with a 1080p camera 13.1 megapixels and a front facing one with a 1.9 megapixels. It has a full retina display 441 pixels per inch. It runs 4gsm not for glite. The price point is 250 dollars lower than an iphone5 at 500. https://boingboing.net/2012/12/13/super-high-end-5-android-pho.html.

Oppo Finder World's Thinnest Phone Used as Hammer

thing can be used as a hammer.

Apples days are number unless they come out with some stiff competition imho

Fri, Dec 14, 2012 - 5:09pm Rico
csquared13

Rico wrote: I can see the

Rico wrote:

I can see the Corner is not an AAPL enclave--that's cool.

Personally, I will never buy their competition again, and I am far from a first-adopter geek--way late to the party is more like it, when it comes to tech. There is a world of people just like me that is just getting a taste of this stuff.

If this was a $70 stock that had fallen to $50, nobody would be living this whole psychodrama. On the contrary--the sell side would be trotting out their stupid little "upgrades", and we'd be off and running. I remember a few years ago, when MCD was done, finished, was going to burn in a hell of lawsuits, and everybody was never going to eat fast-food again. Well, I bought that one, too. More recently, bought BAC, AIG, MGM, CY, etc., all of which I understand from the cognoscenti will be going out of business. Just dumb, I guess.

Oh, yeah--I forgot China, which Tyler Durden et al have been assuring me, for the best part of a year, will implode in the greatest economic catastrophe of all time. Unfortunately, I don't have that much time, so I bought that, too.

My main issue with apple is that their desktop's and laptop's are overpriced (in my opinion.)

Anyone who is adventurous enough can buy a cheap PC for $200-$400, install any version of Linux and tweak the interface to look and behave VERY similarly to Mac OS X. I understand that not most people are capable or adventurous enough to do this, but still..to me Mac OS is just a glorified version of Linux..and since Linux is free for non-commercial use, I'd rather go that route.

Last I checked, a Macbook Pro went for around $1,200. You can get a Dell or HP for $400, buy MS Office for $150 or so and you're still saving more than 50%. Sure, the kid expecting to see a Macbook Pro underneath the Christmas Tree this year will be disappointed when he tears apart the wrapping paper to see an HP or Dell logo, but how many of you had parents who could afford to get you a $1200 Christmas Gift?

While that doesn't bother me from a trading perspective, it does bother me from a longer-term investment perspective. I'd gladly get long now and sell for a profit next year, but not sure how comfortable I'd be holding this longer term in an IRA.

I could actually go on all day about my likes and dislikes regarding Apple, but I don't recall much discussion of it around here in that sense?

“Everybody gets what they want out of the market.” -Ed Seykota
Fri, Dec 14, 2012 - 5:27pm Rico
rtabit
-
Occoquan, VA

Rico wrote: Personally, I

Rico wrote:

Personally, I will never buy their competition again

Why? You can get products of similar or greater quality for less, although most products they sell now aren't really all that expensive I guess. Also government clients are starting to require applications work on AAPL products, that could be a big growth area. Also sucks for me, I've spent last year or so getting (currently still attempting to get) some application to work in IOS, Honeycomb (Android), and Windows 8, it makes stuff twice as hard and takes 10 times the time, pick a platform asshole. But at least they give me their products, AAPL is the only company that won't give me a product before it's released to test on, another reason I don't like them, all the tablets are pretty equal to me, but windows 8 is the best phone I've seen, Android sucks to write code for, that combined with fact they allow manufacturers/carriers to alter the OS (why your shitty Android crashes all the time) will be their downfall, if Windows Phone 8 can't get companies to write applications for specifically their phone that will be their downfall, Windows 8 (the tablet/computer not phone) should be OK because applications will be written in HTML5 (platform independent), phones because of their size and resources really need platform specific applications, as facebook learned. That's my technology update, I guess those are considered fundamentals, now go trade away on that crap, good luck, you're going to need it.

Fri, Dec 14, 2012 - 5:37pm Deluxe186
rtabit
-
Occoquan, VA

Deluxe186 wrote: So the best

Deluxe186 wrote:

So the best phone on the market is called oppo its a chinese phone coming to our market. It runs on snapdragon s4 which makes the processor in the iphone5 look like a dinosaur. Its the first phone with a 1080p camera 13.1 megapixels and a front facing one with a 1.9 megapixels. It has a full retina display 441 pixels per inch. It runs 4gsm not for glite. The price point is 250 dollars lower than an iphone5 at 500. https://boingboing.net/2012/12/13/super-high-end-5-android-pho.html.

thing can be used as a hammer.

Apples days are number unless they come out with some stiff competition imho

Anyone can make a phone with expensive nice hardware, the OS determines which phone is the best IMO. Android allows vendors to alter the OS, which fucks up every Android I've ever tested with, if you buy an Android get one with the base OS that the vendor hasn't modified.

Fri, Dec 14, 2012 - 6:25pm Rico
Canuck
-
Canada

Here Here

I agree with your comments Rico

Fri, Dec 14, 2012 - 6:51pm
Deluxe186
-
NY

idk I'm not a computer

idk I'm not a computer science guy but the oppo seems pretty bad ass personally. I think my friends would look down on me though because i can't imessage with them

Fri, Dec 14, 2012 - 10:57pm Lord Henry
redwood

Lord Henry

Much appreciate the prose of your posts. Delightful really. However I think it might be prudent to wait and see what happens in 2013. As I type the ES is not looking healthy and increasingly shows signs of descending into year end. This appears to auger poorly for tsx (yes miners comprise a good part of our stock exchange) but trying to anticipate the new year from the deathly dark slow pace of this December is a bit akin to wearing badly smudged bifocals. There are many that expect something quite different since historically Jan - March has been kind to metals and miners. Here's an eg.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/1064081-this-hedge-fund-is-all-in-for-t...

Not that it's worth much but I agree with the above and am looking forward to the new year. My stance is not that of a crazed bug bull, but rather from a well earned appreciation for the intense cyclicity of metals.

Sat, Dec 15, 2012 - 9:42am
redwood

gunman massacre

"No motive know in gunman massacre" reads the NYT. Well here's a clue. He shot his mother. Yeah you need multiple qualifications to figure that one out. I don't even know why I have a tab for MSM, I feel revulsion every time I read what once considered THE paper to read.

Sat, Dec 15, 2012 - 11:01am redwood
pailin

redwood wrote:"No motive

redwood wrote:

"No motive know in gunman massacre" reads the NYT.

Sad situation but I laughed out loud when a CNBC idiot said "Senseless killing". Wrong. Pissed at Mom. Shot her. Makes -extreme but- perfect sense.

Senseless to us. We didn't know him. We didn't know Mom. We didn't know their relationship. For all we know she's been diddling him since he was 2. And Dad watched. And videoed. And shared with kiddie-lovers around the world via password-protected VPN. For money. Now who's the victim?

Not senseless. Inexcusable. That works for me.

To the intelligent man or woman, life appears infinitely mysterious, but the stupid have an answer for everything. -Edward Abbey
Sat, Dec 15, 2012 - 11:22am pailin
redwood

Couldn't agree with you more,

Couldn't agree with you more, but to imply no motive as if the key relationship between him and his mother was non existent is insulting (as usual) to the readers. Oh yeah you can believe there is a horrific story there, but we are still accountable for our actions. If nothing else the law (what remains of it) says so.

Ok. My last word I hope on this. He shot his mother "in the face".

Sat, Dec 15, 2012 - 11:51am
SilverWealth
-
Rectal Springs, CA

aapl

I'm not up on any of this and don't even own a smart phone, never have. In the years to come there will be outbreaks of brain and other cancers from this ADHD gadgetry and they are just about the most anti-Zen products ever sold to anyone in human history. I doubt anyone agrees but thats my take. They do not connect anyone. On the contrary they disconnect people from reality and smother them in a world of suffocating gossip and advertisement.

That said AApl is close to rallying bigtime. The bounce will probably be a hard one. The equity markets are also in the window for a steady rally. If your tracking the noise you will not believe that but I would keep in mind what John Tudor Jones said once. That unlike the conventional wisdom he makes most of his money off the bottom and top turns, not in the middle of the action...

Regarding the mass killing. I try and take an historical perspective. This culture's heavily militarized consciousness has slaughtered over 3 million Vietnamese and Iraqi women and children in its most recent incarnation. None of this has been atoned for or even acknowledged. How is it that a blood thirsty society that owes its energy to resource theft and violence expect to remain safe,comfortable and happy at home? In the Buddhist perspective this is impossible. The society itself is doomed to repetitions of this pattern. On every level the media is obsessed with selling violence and militarism to the mass consumer. Football itself is little more than a game metaphor for military strategy,tactics and violence. Across the field of entertainment gross expressions of violence predominate. Violence fascinates the typical American. Its roots are in the Indian genocide and the enslavement of millions of Africans which formed the basis of our economy in its early growth' years. No reparations,atonement or acknowledgment of these heavy waves of our history has ever been seriously made. The well oiled wheel of Karma rolls on..

Sat, Dec 15, 2012 - 12:45pm
SilverWealth
-
Rectal Springs, CA

more b.s.

the cycle of the violence above I think will finally peak around 2040 with the great coming war between humans and androids. This is predicted by several sci fi writers of stature and it makes absolute sense. It also fits the context of causality. The tech and violence obsessed culture creates its ultimate Frankenstein which then turns on it and devours its core. Androids will be so sophisticated and lethal by then that their creators will lose control of the dynamic.

not very optimistic but this I believe is the endgame. Asimov, Arthur Clarke, even J. Cameron see this as quite possible. Makes sense to me and completes the cycle as well. Enjoy your life while you can, a new species will evolve soon enough and the human experiment may end as a mere phase in a greater super cycle.

Sat, Dec 15, 2012 - 1:04pm
SilverWealth
-
Rectal Springs, CA

furthermore

furthermore for those really bored this weekend I would say that what derails a coming confrontation between human and Android is a serious wave retracement of the human story via either massive bio terror or nuclear self-immolation. Bio terror gone out of control could cull world populations by 3 billion. Certainly because it is developed in the laboratories of violent and resource-pirating nations it could easily slip those constraints and turn on its creators. The nuclear endgame would definitely set progress back, kill off tens of millions and change for 100 years the geo-political balance of power. This happens easily if emotions get out of control and reactive around a Cuban Missle type event.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Sat, Dec 15, 2012 - 7:19pm
Lord Henry

froidian slips

Think it was Paul Tudor Jones said that, but I'm probably

getting muddled up with John Paul Sartre, who I think was

the stones lead singer before Johnny Rotten arrived. Dont

think my prose will ever approach delightfulness RW but kind

of you to say. Tried expanding my mind in other ways at school

but quite enjoy writing now, sadly. Think the TMX dropped

a huge clanger allowing short selling on the ventures. Doesnt

matter though. When the borg + vultures finally leave it alone, 20

and 30 baggers will be commonplace imo. Meanwhile focusing more

on the stronger Japanese 225 and weaker Yen, which might still have

a way to go. who knows ? Cant get no satisfaction from my leveraged

gold position at the mo', tho, I do know that , but trying to be patient : )

Wake me up at HUI 200. No, on 2nd thoughts, please dont bother.
Sat, Dec 15, 2012 - 8:51pm Lord Henry
redwood

froidian - that's delightful

froidian - that's delightful mon ami.

Sat, Dec 15, 2012 - 9:14pm Lord Henry
BagOfGold
-
The Universe
XX

Lord Henry...

Lord Henry wrote:

Think it was Paul Tudor Jones said that, but I'm probably

getting muddled up with John Paul Sartre, who I think was

the stones lead singer before Johnny Rotten arrived. Dont

think my prose will ever approach delightfulness RW but kind

of you to say. Tried expanding my mind in other ways at school

but quite enjoy writing now, sadly. Think the TMX dropped

a huge clanger allowing short selling on the ventures. Doesnt

matter though. When the borg + vultures finally leave it alone, 20

and 30 baggers will be commonplace imo. Meanwhile focusing more

on the stronger Japanese 225 and weaker Yen, which might still have

a way to go. who knows ? Cant get no satisfaction from my leveraged

gold position at the mo', tho, I do know that , but trying to be patient : )

Yes!...Yes!...Yes!!!...

Bag Of Gold

Sun, Dec 16, 2012 - 6:13pm
Bum in the library...

just sold my two positions I

just sold my two positions I picked up on Friday for a small profit. I'm afraid we could test the 100DMA and support down just under $32. If not at least I made a decent profit

Sun, Dec 16, 2012 - 6:23pm Bum in the library...
pailin

Good move. Sunday night pumps

Good move. Sunday night pumps rarely hold through to daylight.

To the intelligent man or woman, life appears infinitely mysterious, but the stupid have an answer for everything. -Edward Abbey
Sun, Dec 16, 2012 - 6:25pm
pailin

CT shooting

I consider all news BS (probably to my detriment), so I'm not keeping up with this CT shooting thing. But somebody that is...

Does this stuff hold any water? (If so, major snowjob then)

The Newtown Massacre…the MAJOR DISCREPANCIES LIST

1) As yet, we have not seen any concrete evidence that any child died.

2) As yet, parents have not been allowed to see their children. (Photoshopped pictures do not count.)

3) As of now, I have seen only one unambiguous statement from a grieving parent (Robbie Parker).

4) According to the official story, Adam Lanza was found with his older brother’s ID, and it was not stolen. However, older brother Ryan–who officials say is very cooperative–claims not to have even seen his brother since 2010. Where would Adam get this ID? And why does such use not qualify as a theft?

5) According to the official story, Adam Lanza was wearing a black outfit with a mask and bulletproof vest. Why would he want to hide his identity, and why would he wear a bulletproof vest, if he planned to kill himself?

6) The medical examiner asserts that all wounds were caused by a rifle or other long weapon, and police/FBI say that the school was littered with .223 (rifle) casings. But Adam Lanza was found dead in the school with only handguns–a rifle was found in the trunk of his car. But then he could not possibly have been firing the rifle, and could not have committed the murders. Who did?

7) According to the official story, the killing was tightly confined to two classrooms. But then why were so many children told to close their eyes while leaving the building?

8 ) Joanne Didonato, the principal’s secretary, called in sick on Friday–something she rarely does. So presumably, she must have been awfully ill. Yet she then felt well enough to give an interview. “Of all days,” she said, emphasizing the strange coincidence.

9) The hospital went into lockdown and cleared four trauma rooms, but received only three patients, two of them dead children (according to the official story) and one mildly wounded adult.

10) Why were there such persistent reports that Mrs. Lanza was a kindergarten teacher, and that she died at the school, when the new official story is that she was not connected to the school and was killed at home?

11) What happened to the report that Adam Lanza’s girlfriend and another friend were missing in New Jersey?

12) What happened to the woodsman in a black jacket and camo pants who was arrested and handcuffed outside the school? He actually shouted to parents, “It wasn’t me.” Who was he and what was he doing there?

13) What happened to the dark van or SUV that the police surrounded in the parking lot, or the maroon sedan with a blown-out back window they were on the lookout for?

14) The official story is that Nancy Lanza was a gun collector who obeyed the law. But since 20-year-olds are not permitted to buy guns or ammo or carry guns in Connecticut, why would she give her “autistic” son access to both guns and ammo?

15) Why were parents told on Friday that “if you haven’t been reunited with your child by now it’s already over”? Does anyone imagine that real parents of real children would simply say, “Okay, the show’s over, let’s go home now”?

16) Would real parents of real children really be satisfied with (possibly photoshopped) pictures of their children? Wouldn’t they demand to see their children one last time firsthand?

17) According to the official story, 28 people died but only 1 was wounded. The dead included 20 small, squirmy children–difficult targets even for professionals. How could Adam Lanza achieve such amazingly deadly accuracy, in such a short length of time?

etc etc...rest here - https://www.brotherjohnf.com/archives/108041

Contribute

Donate Shop

Recent Comments

by Island Teal, 52 min 30 sec ago
by AngryCitizen, 1 hour 16 min ago
by Wizdum, Sep 17, 2019 - 11:48pm
by happycamper515, Sep 17, 2019 - 11:42pm
by Alex777, Sep 17, 2019 - 11:36pm

Forum Discussion

by NW VIEW, Sep 17, 2019 - 10:39pm
by Boggs, Sep 17, 2019 - 10:26pm
by NW VIEW, Sep 17, 2019 - 7:06pm