My prediction: $800 per ounce before 2020. Yours?

38 posts / 0 new
Last post
silvernomics
silvernomics's picture
Hat Tips: 1270
My prediction: $800 per ounce before 2020. Yours?

Well, it would be nice.

My thinking is $12,500 gold (a la Sinclair, Armstrong, Field, Rickards) and the GSR @ 15:1

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 05:10
Mudsharkbytes
Mudsharkbytes's picture
Hat Tips: 8519
I would hope way ​before

I would hope way ​before 2020!  

2012 would be even nicer!

silvernomics
silvernomics's picture
Hat Tips: 1270
I guess I was being

I guess I was being conservative.

2015 seems to be the date du jour. Sinclair and others keep referencing it.

1913's picture
Hat Tips: 24
Put me on the FOFOA plan -

Put me on the FOFOA plan - gold will be hoarded and untraded (~$40k in today's dollars) while silver will be somewhere in the $500 range, but freely used to barter.  The GSR will be long because everyone will be storing their gold as wealth, while using their silver as currency.

If it happens in 2012, I would be afraid that there would be much suffering for all of us.

jackmeoff
jackmeoff's picture
Hat Tips: 689
Looking at it the wrong way.

All these posts of 500,1000, 5000 silver are pointless. If silver is 500 bucks its for a reason. If that were the case gas will be 20+ dollars a gallon and it will balance out. The only way silver at 500 would mean anything is if everything else staid the same which is nothing more than a pipe dream. Don't get me wrong I love gold and silver but thinking you are going to get rich off of it is almost a joke because by the time you have xxx of dollars per oz the xxx wont be worth what it is now. Also if it gets to that point I am almost certain that we will have confiscation. You may be safe if you buy gold or silver eagles as they are classified as numismatic under gold act of 1985 but that is not saying they cant change the rules as we all know too well. Gold and silver are a way to hedge against dollar depreciation and while you may come out ahead if you buy early enough chances are you wont get that far ahead. I can see silver at 100-150 at most. By that point there will be a new currency. I know that inflation adjusted numbers are higher but when have you ever seen the avg person come out ahead. Banks and government wont allow it.

caramel
caramel's picture
Hat Tips: 320
i'm still uncertain whether

i'm still uncertain whether silver will be viewed as a currency, commodity or both.  Talks of Mexico backing their currency with silver.  From a commodity perspective, its needed no doubt, mostly in very tiny quantities for various products, so its possible producers could handle a much higher priced commodity silver price.  We've all heard of various price targets, GSR's, etc., but who knows?  

I don't see the 'reset', whatever this means, until at least 2015, unless the gov'ts and centrals banks around the world lose control earlier.  Hanging out to physical gold for wealth preservation, silver to be used as spending, if necessary.  

RickR
RickR's picture
Hat Tips: 9
Exactly, there is hardly a

Exactly, there is hardly a point in predicting future movements like that. No one knows what tomorrow brings, learn to read the charts for what they are telling you right now and the near future. Most importantly, the more bias you have, the harder it will be to profit from what the market is telling you.

Ollywood
Ollywood's picture
Hat Tips: 27
What if you're trying to pay

What if you're trying to pay off a mortgage? Investing in silver looks like it makes sense in that scenario right?

thecoloredsky
thecoloredsky's picture
Hat Tips: 1331
Silver gained something like

Silver gained something like 82% last year. Are things getting better? No. So, I posture that a 100% gain is not out of the question which brings us to around $61-62. Trying to stay realistic but no one can predict manipulation!

Dr G
Dr G's picture
Hat Tips: 17985
+1

+1. Love the thought process. I think $500 is probably unrealistic, but $60-$100 in the next 2-3 year is quite possible.

thecoloredsky wrote:

Silver gained something like 82% last year. Are things getting better? No. So, I posture that a 100% gain is not out of the question which brings us to around $61-62. Trying to stay realistic but no one can predict manipulation!

DrScrubb
DrScrubb's picture
At the end of the social

At the end of the social experiment,

Dow/Gold ratio = 1.0 so anywhere between $10000 and $15000

GSR= 40: 1 so anywhere between $250 and $375

wackzingo
wackzingo's picture
Hat Tips: 443
A different perspective

I believe the U.S. Dollar is on a long-term downtrend but I have a lot of doubt about a sudden collapse of the currency. I tend to believe that as the dollar continues to loose value other currencies will start to become accepted alternatives. I believe this will take place on a larger scale such as purchasing oil from from the Middle East or other commodities from foreign governments and business. I believe the USD will remain the common place currency for day-to-day purchases by consumers alongside things such as precious metals. In other words, I believe it will be more of a "fizzle out" type of situation instead of a sudden collapse. I strongly believe there will be some kind of one world currency but I can't offer any other thoughts as I don't like conspiracy theories would rather leave that up to everyone else to discuss. 

As for the price of Silver...I can't see it ever rising above $100 for any extended period of time. As I posted on the blog under the name "Sombody" about the historical Gold/Silver ratio, the average price of silver in the 1800 adjusted for inflation would be $34-$35 today. During the Civil War the price essentially doubled to an inflation adjusted price of $68 before quickly returning to the average. I predict that with the increase of silver in industrial use and the uncertainty in the economy that silver will rise to an average price of $35-$45 with the chance of a possible spike to around $100-$120 before this is all over. A lot of people often look at the price of Gold and believe Silver needs to rise but they rarely think that maybe Gold is overpriced and needs to fall. I think it's probably a little of both. 

TheGoodDoctor
TheGoodDoctor's picture
Hat Tips: 11941
RE: i'm still uncertain whether

caramel wrote:

i'm still uncertain whether silver will be viewed as a currency, commodity or both.  Talks of Mexico backing their currency with silver.  From a commodity perspective, its needed no doubt, mostly in very tiny quantities for various products, so its possible producers could handle a much higher priced commodity silver price.  We've all heard of various price targets, GSR's, etc., but who knows?  

I don't see the 'reset', whatever this means, until at least 2015, unless the gov'ts and centrals banks around the world lose control earlier.  Hanging out to physical gold for wealth preservation, silver to be used as spending, if necessary.  

I have to say it certainly would be interesting if China and or Mexico went to a silver backed currency. Would there be enough?

“Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves.” Norm Franz

beatlebum19
beatlebum19's picture
Hat Tips: 89
The past will repeat itself again.....

There have been massive wealth transfers in the past in this exact situation. Greece, Rome to name a few. It can happen and has happened. History repeats itself over and over. Plus the new currency to get support would almost certainly be backed up by Gold and Silv again, and then down the road after more than a few generations the people will forget Gold and Silv will come back down the standard will be taken off and fiat will go into another battle it cant  win.... AGAIN.

Get your hands off my stack.

TheGoodDoctor
TheGoodDoctor's picture
Please read Ted Butler and

Please read Ted Butler and Izzy Friedman. I really think many of these price predictions for silver are understating the value in the future. Izzy Friedman thinks that parity will happen with silver and gold and that silver will eventually be five times the price of gold. The articles are out there.

The USGS has stated that silver will be the first element on the periodic table to go extinct. When? 2020.

Mike Maloney and Robert Kyosaki both say that silver will be the biggest wealth creator in our lifetimes.

“Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves.” Norm Franz

TheGoodDoctor
TheGoodDoctor's picture
RE: The past will repeat itself again.....

beatlebum19 wrote:

There have been massive wealth transfers in the past in this exact situation. Greece, Rome to name a few. It can happen and has happened. History repeats itself over and over. Plus the new currency to get support would almost certainly be backed up by Gold and Silv again, and then down the road after more than a few generations the people will forget Gold and Silv will come back down the standard will be taken off and fiat will go into another battle it cant  win.... AGAIN.

Amen brother.

California Lawyer
California Lawyer's picture
Hat Tips: 22025
Mexico Backing Peso with Silver

Great point, you sparked some curiosity.

So if Mexico does end up backing their Peso with silver, that is, actual physical silver which one can trade one's Peso's for, then would it not be a great US Dollar hedge to open a savings account denominated in Pesos?  I'm thinking that if TSHTF here in So Cal., then it seems to be a dual benefit.  

I'm thinking something like this: Travel across the International Border at San Ysidro.  Exchange some FRN's, either from an ATM, or from actual FRN's, for Peso's.  Come on back to US with the Pesos.  Hold the Peso's in the safe  rather than the FRN's. When TSHTF, cross border back to Mexico and exchange Peso's for physical silver.  Paper would be easier to transport across the border than silver, plus it seems that there is no requirement to declare possession of Peso's vs. FRN's.  Am I just being looney on this?

"To save yourself from all this that has happened and will continue to happen requires commitment and courage. You have it or you do not. Admit who you are and act accordingly."
Jim Sinclair, December 18, 2012.

Mike
Mike's picture
Hat Tips: 234
Sounds nice

Lets hope it goes faster.

A prudent man foresees the difficulties ahead and prepares for them; the simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences. Proverbs 22:3

Dutch Silver
Dutch Silver's picture
Hope you are right

I really hope you are right that the price will rise to $500...unfortunately I don't think it will hit that in short time.

$43 in July and maybe  around $60 in October, from that point it will slowly climb to $75 at the end of 2011/begin 2012

Hope I'm wrong.........

caramel
caramel's picture
Hat Tips: 320
doesn't seem to be with all

doesn't seem to be with all the 'shortages' but who knows what the real figures are.  We do know some influential in mexico have been pushing for a silver backed currency; perhaps nationalization would be a gov'ts next step if they went the silver route.

Still hold physical silver but not betting the farm on it.  

UGrev
UGrev's picture
Hat Tips: 884
I've been hard pressed to

I've been hard pressed to find any legal documents stating that numismatics can't be confiscated. There was a propossed law that I keep running into but it was never adopted. Can you cite any current law on the books that states numismatics can't be confiscated? 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "My prediction: $800 per ounce before 2020. Yours?"