Must-Read Essay on Surviving an Economic Collapse

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Paladex
Paladex's picture
Hat Tips: 2871
Must-Read Essay on Surviving an Economic Collapse

As many of you know, a number of other countries - Argentina, Russia, South Africa to name a few - have experienced "failed economies" and the resulting domino effect of TSHTF. Contrary to Hollywood fantasy, this does not mean that society instantly reverts to a "Mad Max" scenario.

For what it actually means, you MUST read this amazing essay by an American-educated Argentine who described exactly  what happened in his country before, during and since the economic collapse.

I'll take one insight from this Argentine about what DID happen over 100 speculative comments from Americans about what MIGHT happen.

http://ferfal.blogspot.com/2008/10/thoughts-on-urban-survival-2005.html

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 05:06

“Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.”
― Mark Twain

thecoloredsky
thecoloredsky's picture
Hat Tips: 1331
Thanks for the link.

Thanks for the link. I'd rather read about specific stories on how people act and behave in a currency collapse and this fits the bill perfectly.

Couple things that I took away as important:

• handgun is most important, especially a high capacity pistol (not revolver).
  • driving down streets is much more dangerous; utilize a 4x4 suv or truck if possible.
  • Pure 22k or 24k coins don't hold premiums. He says that junk gold will work just as well.
  • Do not live by yourself in the country, make sure there is a community or group.
  • Don't expect a rambo movie to unfold, people still want things to remain as civil as possible.

Thanks again, I'm going to check out his other posts.

tread_w_care
tread_w_care's picture
Hat Tips: 3061
His book is also highly

His book is also highly recommended, extended version of the blog somewhat:

http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Survival-Manual-Surviving-Economic/dp/9870563457/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=ITBANZFPP93N3&colid=2UUL2V79I9AJ

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it." - Frederic Bastiat http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Fr%C3%A9d%C3%A9ric_Bastiat

ginger
ginger's picture
Hat Tips: 2799
Excellent Link

Thank you for this. It's valuable information from an important perspective ...someone who has been there. I'm only down to Part II but am getting much from this. Again....thank you ...My hat tips to you.

LOL (in a very sad-scary-we-are-doomed way) about the guy who spends $500 monthly on beauty products.  surprise

Vypuero
Vypuero's picture
Hat Tips: 3999
I second FERFAL

Have been reading him for some time.

JoeyJoeJoe
JoeyJoeJoe's picture
Hat Tips: 682
Re: LOL

Ginger wrote:

...LOL (in a very sad-scary-we-are-doomed way) about the guy who spends $500 monthly on beauty products.  surprise

Well if you're going down, you want to go down looking good right?  LOL?

ginger
ginger's picture
Hat Tips: 2799
Hope those are beauty

Hope those are beauty products he can eat, JoeyJoeJoe.  indecision

Maybe expensive cucumber masks or the like. cheeky

Jasper Puddlemaker
Jasper Puddlemaker's picture
Hat Tips: 1879
His book...

tread_w_care wrote:

His book is also highly recommended, extended version of the blog somewhat:

I consider his book to be the "textbook" for learning how to prepare for and deal with economic collapse (or even other survival-related situations).   It is worth buying, and will easily pay for itself many times over. 

Aronnax
Aronnax's picture
Hat Tips: 547
Another viewpoint on collapse - US vs. USSR

Dmitry Orlov lived through the disintegration of the Soviet Union, and has an interesting perspective on the similarities and differences:

Essay

https://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dtxqwqr_20dc52sm

Presentation slides

http://www.energybulletin.net/node/23259

wasted youth crew
wasted youth crew's picture
Hat Tips: 153
here's a clip on the

here's a clip on the development of the alternative/barter economy after the argentinian collapse:

Paladex
Paladex's picture
CD wrote: Dmitry Orlov lived

CD wrote:

Dmitry Orlov lived through the disintegration of the Soviet Union, and has an interesting perspective on the similarities and differences:

Essay

https://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dtxqwqr_20dc52sm

Presentation slides

http://www.energybulletin.net/node/23259

Outstanding! I love it. This little nugget jumped out at me right away:

"When faced with a collapsing economy, one should stop thinking of wealth in terms of money. Access to actual physical resources and assets, as well as intangibles such as connections and relationships, quickly becomes much more valuable than mere cash. "

No, he's not talking about gold or silver; he's referring to (in that example, at least) vodka. The author was able to use any form of currency - foreign or domestic - to purchase gasoline, but he was easily able to trade one bottle of vodka for 10 liters of gas.

“Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.”
― Mark Twain

CYM
CYM's picture
Hat Tips: 1630
Orlov's book is an excellent

Orlov's book is an excellent read as well.

Titus Andronicus
Titus Andronicus's picture
Hat Tips: 4531
RE: Must-Read Essay on Surviving an Economic Collapse

Wow!  Great information.

Citizen621
Citizen621's picture
Hat Tips: 241
Situational Awareness must read on Ferfal's Blog

@Paladex - Great thread!

Ferfal didn't author it, but an article titled "Freedom From Fear: Spotting Trouble Before it Happens" is on the blog and is a great article on being aware of dangers in your surroundings.

Paladex
Paladex's picture
Orlov's insights

After reading and pondering Orlov's essay yesterday, a few key points stayed with me.

• Soviets lived in state-provided housing, so they did not have a foreclosure/eviction crisis like the USA does.

• Soviets culture is highly apathetic, so they didn't riot/loot like we can expect Americans to.

• Because Soviet agriculture & utilities were so horrible and unreliable, most Soviets already knew how to live without heat/electricity/manufactured food. We Americans are used to everything at our fingertips. 

Orlov advises that:

• Areas with a history of racial tension are going to be extremely dangerous.

• Small towns with large community gardens (approx. one acre per 30 people) will fare the best.

• Expect ex-military/police personnel to go into the "private security" (e.g. protection racket) business.

• The boom industry will be "asset stripping" (removing marketable components - windows, wire, etc. - from foreclosed properties)

My favorite bit was this: 

"People in the United States have a broadly similar attitude toward politics with people of the Soviet Union. In the U.S., this is often referred to as "voter apathy", but it might be more accurately described as non-voter indifference. The Soviet Union had a single, entrenched, systemically corrupt political party, which held a monopoly on power. The U.S. has two entrenched, systemically corrupt political parties, whose positions are often indistinguishable, and which together hold a monopoly on power. In either case, there is, or was, a single governing elite, but in the United States it organized itself into opposing teams to make its stranglehold on power seem more sportsmanlike.

Although people often bemoan political apathy as if it were a grave social ill, it seems to me that this is just as it should be. Why should essentially powerless people want to engage in a humiliating farce designed to demonstrate the legitimacy of those who wield the power? In Soviet-era Russia, intelligent people did their best to ignore the Communists: paying attention to them, whether through criticism or praise, would only serve to give them comfort and encouragement, making them feel as if they mattered. Why should Americans want to act any differently with regard to the Republicans and the Democrats? For love of donkeys and elephants?"

― Mark Twain

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Must-Read Essay on Surviving an Economic Collapse"