Great Panther (GPR.TO, GPL)

155 posts / 0 new
Last post
Sat, Jul 16, 2011 - 3:30pm turdfan
Icarus

Great Panther underperformance this week

turdfan wrote:

strange that gpr didn't move much Thu/Fri...

GPR came out with a production report on Tuesday. Guanauato mine production was down, costs were up, and they are having problems selling concentrate to one of their contracted smelters. Not a disaster, but not a great report by any stretch.

Regards,

Icarus

Mon, Jul 18, 2011 - 10:04am
Kegfreak
-
Draper, UT

New Aquisitions!

I was glad to see that Great Panther bought up some new mining concessions today! This type of pro-growth activity steels my nerves when investing in junior miners.

GREAT PANTHER SILVER LIMITED (TSX:GPR)(NYSE Amex:GPL) (the "Company") is pleased to announce the acquisition of four mining concessions, totaling 1,514 hectares, approximately 10-15 kilometres northeast of Guanajuato, Mexico (see maps on Great Panther Silver's website). The claims are located on the north-west extension of a system of multiple northwest-southeastern trending parallel structures that could be part of the "La Sierra" vein system. The La Sierra system is the most easterly of the three structural systems in the prolific Guanajuato district along with the main Veta Madre and the La Luz trends. Presently the Company is mining on the Veta Madre system at its Guanajuato Mine and exploring on the westerly La Luz system at the San Ignacio project.

Mon, Jul 18, 2011 - 2:03pm Kegfreak
TheGoodDoctor
-
WI

This is handy for

This is handy for conversions. I use it all the time. Mostly for those not on the metric system. LOL.

https://www.metric-conversions.org/area/hectares-to-square-miles.htm

PS Me likey the presser!

“Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves.” Norm Franz
Fri, Aug 12, 2011 - 12:34pm
PaPaSpeed
-
Fredrock, MD

I'm a buyer today of GPL. I

I'm a buyer today of GPL. I think the price action is just a little head fake. I have confidence in the CEO. Here's what he had to say.

"Following the strong financial performance we delivered in the first quarter, it is unfortunate that the delays in shipments of concentrate from our Guanajuato operation have impacted our revenue in the second quarter. However, we believe that the agreements we now have in place to secure future sales will remedy the situation and that the backlog of concentrate will be sold over the balance of the year at potentially higher metal prices," said Robert Archer, President & CEO. "We have a strong balance sheet, our operations are more profitable than ever, and we are moving ahead with all of our expansion plans as previously outlined."

I'm willing to see what happens over the next quarter,

Good luck to all.

Fri, Aug 12, 2011 - 6:24pm PaPaSpeed
Icarus

"I'm willing to see what happens over the next quarter,"

Although not unexpected, their results were a disappointment. I think that many investors will have the same inclination you do,

'I'm willing to see what happens over the next quarter,'

Hence I think this one is a dead fish until Archer PROVES we are back on track.

First time in four years that the company failed to meet their goals...... Oh well, it's still a good long term investment if silver continues it's rise.

Icarus

Fri, Aug 12, 2011 - 6:27pm Icarus
TheGoodDoctor
-
WI

The resources are there. I am

The resources are there. I am hoping they have a secondary option to take the concentrate off their hands for the future.

“Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves.” Norm Franz
Fri, Aug 12, 2011 - 9:52pm TheGoodDoctor
PaPaSpeed
-
Fredrock, MD

TheGoodDoctor wrote: The

TheGoodDoctor wrote:

The resources are there. I am hoping they have a secondary option to take the concentrate off their hands for the future.

For sure Doc, let's hope a smelter is a huge priority. As Mr. Archer said:

But, Archer said, Great Panther had reached new agreements for silver sales which should clear up the backlog over the course of the year.

The silver lining in the delayed sales was "potentially higher metal prices" it might fetch for the concentrates, Archer noted.

Well that's good enough for me.

And as Mr. Turk recently stated:

A resident of London, Spain and New Hampshire, Mr. Turk adds, “Because silver is still mainly seen around the world as an industrial metal and not as money (i.e., again this is stage one thinking), silver has been hit. So don't be misled by the weakness the last few days, even as gold rallied. Silver won't be far behind gold's advance I expect.”

As for my personal choices, I own and am continually purchasing more physical silver and gold, as well as Central Fund of Canada (AMEX: CEF andTSX: T.CEF.A, Stock Forum) as a proxy.

Among silver equities, my million-dollar quartet, to borrow the title of the ripping musical I attended in London with Golden Valley Mines’ (TSX: V.GZZ,Stock Forum) Glenn Mullan, his friend, Jackie, and one other, are the same I have researched and bought these past three and one-half years.

Bob Archer’s Great Panther Silver (AMEX: GPL and TSX: T.GPR, Stock Forum) will continue to make more people more money with its producing silver and polymetallic mines in Mexico than almost any other small producer in the world. Mr. Archer attended the GATA gathering and was seen interacting with several silver investors of note.

https://www.stockhouse.com/Columnists/2011/August/10/Silver-mining-stock...

Good Luck.

Fri, Aug 12, 2011 - 11:54pm PaPaSpeed
Super_Douche
-
2920 S Jebel Way, CO

I'm not scared

GPL has made me a bunch of money in the past and I expect it will make me a lot more in the future. It's currently my largest holding. I'm not adding yet, because I think this bad news will pull the stock down even further. However, I think this gives us a great buying opportunity. As long as they can unload the backlog during the 3rd and 4 Q's we should see very nice earnings. I assume silver prices will be higher in the coming months too, which will definitely help.

We will just have to exercise patience. I don't think we will see much positive movement until next Q. I plan on making my move to buy more when we are weeks out from earnings. I would move sooner though if there is a major sell off. Which is always possible with how crazy mining stocks can be. If you are willing to wait it out, you should be rewarded nicely.

"There is no inflation and unless we get some soon we will all be in trouble." -Paul Krugman
Sat, Aug 13, 2011 - 10:07am Super_Douche
PaPaSpeed
-
Fredrock, MD

Well Super, I'm willing to

Well Super, I'm willing to wait to out. Like the Good Doc says, "the resources are there". I think their property butts up to Endeavours, but I not certain. That's the main reason I love the miners, they actually have the silver. It's just a matter of bringing it to market.

Good luck!

Tue, Aug 16, 2011 - 9:42pm
Super_Douche
-
2920 S Jebel Way, CO

What do you guys think?

I need someone smarter than myself to look at this article. The author brings up some good points, and some things I have never heard. I just thought I would see what the consensus is among my fellow turdites.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/287591-great-panther-shares-likely-to-continue-limping-lower?source=yahoo

"There is no inflation and unless we get some soon we will all be in trouble." -Paul Krugman
Tue, Aug 16, 2011 - 9:53pm Super_Douche
Sterling
-
ISIS

See these additional links

Ian Bezek posts on Motley Fool under the handle "goldminingXpert" He's well known for bashing gold and silver miners.

See these links for additional context into his writing on GPL.

https://caps.fool.com/Blogs/mediocre-panther-gpl-fesses/628385

https://caps.fool.com/Blogs/a-must-read-setting-the/628845

https://caps.fool.com/Blogs/great-panther-shares-likely-to/629778

The last one is him linking from his Motley Fool blog to his Seeking Alpha blog

Can I offer you a drink? How about this expensive prostitute?
Tue, Aug 16, 2011 - 9:54pm Super_Douche
Sterling
-
ISIS

oh and for that smarter

oh and for that smarter person, see Christopher Barker's post - the middle link - for some insights

Tue, Aug 16, 2011 - 9:58pm
Irish-Mic

Re: "What do you guys think" - Seeking Alpha GPL article

What do I think? I think any 'ole kiddo barely out of diapers with no experience can publish articles on that site. Unbelievable: https://www.linkedin.com/in/ianbezek.

Tue, Aug 16, 2011 - 10:03pm Irish-Mic
Sterling
-
ISIS

Frickin lols

Frickin lols

Tue, Aug 16, 2011 - 10:34pm Sterling
TheGoodDoctor
-
WI

Man, I just started watching

Man, I just started watching Archer. I think I have like 6 eps left. Man is it funny shit!

Tue, Aug 16, 2011 - 10:40pm
Super_Douche
-
2920 S Jebel Way, CO

Thanks for the info Sterling!

Two hat tips for your Sir! The links were very insightful. I recommend to anyone that is concerned about Great Panthers price moves lately to read Christopher Barker's posts. He seems to really know what he is talking about. I think Chris has a much stronger case for GPL than Ian has against it.

Tue, Aug 16, 2011 - 11:06pm Irish-Mic
Super_Douche
-
2920 S Jebel Way, CO

You are correct Irish-Mic!

Haha "ole kiddo barely out of diapers with no experience"! Come on he has been in college since 2006! He has a B.A. in economics! With a background like that you don't need life experience. Obviously the silver bubble has popped and we are just bitter since we didn't get out at the top. Disclaimer: I hold many of shares of GPL and sarcasm was used during this post

Wed, Aug 17, 2011 - 7:58am
ARAMIS

GPR ARTICLE on SA - WOW That's All, just WOW

Wed, Aug 17, 2011 - 8:29am
johnboatcat

Read Christopher Barker's posts

Where? Thanks!

Wed, Aug 17, 2011 - 10:15am TheGoodDoctor
Sterling
-
ISIS

Nice - it is pretty funny

Nice - it is pretty funny shit!