Crazy Canucks

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Tube
Tube's picture
Hat Tips: 876
Crazy Canucks

How pathetically childish!  When society feels justified to act like this because of something so trivial as a hockey tournament the powers that be are surely rejoicing..."Now we've got them right where we want them!"

Any thoughts???

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 05:07
caramel
caramel's picture
Hat Tips: 320
pretty much my thoughts,

pretty much my thoughts, however non-factual.  Perhaps conditioning Canadians for what's to come?  Or in particular BC where house prices will likely fall the most, eventually.

Swampfox
Swampfox's picture
Hat Tips: 191
Embarassing

Some days I am embarrassed to be Canadian. Today is one of them. Ironically no one would give a damn if the government raised taxes higher and turned the country into more of a dictatorship. Our society is messed up. Head for the hills...

I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. -Robert Heilein-

caramel
caramel's picture
Hat Tips: 320
swampfox, 45% for highest

swampfox, 45% for highest income earners (albeit investing in RRSP's can reduce this), 13% HST, property taxes, etc.  More and more goes away from the man that ever before.  

Dr Durden
Dr Durden's picture
Hat Tips: 5371
Maybe if Luongo wasn't such a

Maybe if Luongo wasn't such a siv this wouldn't happen.

surprise

I kid.

Silly Canadians. Too mush Elsinore! 

Got GIABO?

"It's called the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." ~George Carlin

Tube
Tube's picture
Hat Tips: 876
LOL.  You're terrible! 

LOL.  You're terrible!  Ha-ha...

JoeyJoeJoe
JoeyJoeJoe's picture
Hat Tips: 682
Yeah...

Yeah Dr. Durden, too early for that one lol.

The rioting was definitely more disappointing than the game.  But don't brand the whole city with a select group of immature young adults.  There are people volunteering to clean up the city as we speak.  I wished people would show some of this hockey passion for politics + economics!  

Swampfox
Swampfox's picture
My Thoughts...

JoeyJoeJoe,

My thoughts exactly. Alas people are more interested in getting drunk, partying and generally escaping reality.

Thought this was funny though... check this footage out (sucks to be a rioter in the wrong place at the wrong time):

Cheers,

Swampfox.

I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. -Robert Heilein-

Fred Hayek
Fred Hayek's picture
Hat Tips: 10492
The same thing happened in '94 but the cops didn't prepare

Too bad he was busy celebrating or they could have sent Tim Thomas out there.   He stops everything.

Being a policeman is only easy in a police state -- Touch of Evil(1957)

JoeyJoeJoe
JoeyJoeJoe's picture
Hat Tips: 682
Re:

@ Fred & Swampfox:  ...LOL!

HappyNow
HappyNow's picture
Hat Tips: 2365
Ridiculous immaturity.Tip of

Ridiculous immaturity.

Tip of the hat to the riot squad who acted reasonably given the circumstances.

I really like that the public is posting pics on facebook to aid authorities.   The tools of the masses should be used for their protection whether it's authority or anarchy being held accountable.

@Swampfox and Fred.  Nicely done.

Swing trade indexed ETFs. Long physical gold, silver, and 1 miner.

ReachWest
ReachWest's picture
Hat Tips: 12992
Destruction vs Construction

This is a bit disjointed - but, here goes ...

There are two forces in the world - Construction and Destruction.

Construction or Project Creation is difficult - it requires effort - planning - organization - risk (capital) - perseverance - resources. The end result of construction is the pride of creating something and appreciation for others that have done the same.

Destruction is easy - it requires little more than immaturity and brute force.

What we saw in Vancouver yesterday was "Destruction" - those that participated do not understand and have never participated in Construction, for if they had, they would have respect for the property of others - they would understand that by destroying they are taking away from the efforts of others.

We need more constructors.

Swampfox
Swampfox's picture
Gross behaviour

My wife works in the school system and I am here to tell you that a very large % of parents nowadays are not raising their kids to be constructive. Too many of them are left to their own animal instincts and self gratification. They know only one thing - stimulation. And the easiest and quickest way to get stimulated is through self destructive and outwardly destructive behavior.

Our society is sick because of this...

John Galt
John Galt's picture
Hat Tips: 4906
The Reality Behind the Riots

You are not going to learn too much of the Truth from reading the headlines about the Vancouver riots.

A few of my friends were in the crowd in Vancouver and were privy to what unfolded. First of all the riots were caused mostly be a small handful of idiots. These idiots were going to riot regardless of whether they won the game or not. Early in the afternoon of the final game day there were "family friendly" zones set up outside the stadium, and a comprehensive police presence was there searching bags for alcohol, weapons etc. As the afternoon wore on a distinct "stand down" seemed to take place, and as the police presence dwindled an abundance of alcohol began to appear and backpacks filled with Molotov cocktails also began to show up. Booze and bombs are not a good combo. An ugly vibe began to take over and many parents with kids could sense what was coming and cleared out as quickly as possible.

To be fair over 99% of Vancouverites are/were not of this mindset, but it's the small percentage of those who are who got the headlines while the remaining 99% made up the army of volunteers who showed up the next day to clean up the mess.

In my opinion there was a conscious decision made higher up to allow this riot to happen, to generate public support for more policing and security in the future. Not unlike our American neighbors we Canadians are also getting duped into embracing a more restrictive police state for our "best interests".

For anyone interested in reading what happened, from a respected and award winning author who was there, here's a link to one of the stories. The publication is a small independent operation, as opposed to one of the large mass media outlets.

http://thetyee.ca/Opinion/2011/06/16/SocialMediaRiot/

"So you think that money is the root of all evil.
Have you ever asked what is the root of all money?"

Nigel Black
Nigel Black's picture
Hat Tips: 2103
John Galt is bang on in his

John Galt is bang on in his assessment. 

The same thing happened in Toronto during the G20 summit last year where we had a 1 billion dollar security bill paid by the Canadian taxpayer.  The police allowed the "anarchists" to trash the downtown area on the first day of the summit and did not stop them.  Then the next day, they decided they would arrest everyone and anyone, even if you were no where near the summit.

There were also "secret" laws passed by government to give the police special powers to arrest people.  Hello Canadians, welcome to your police state.

The current government has a "tough on crime agenda" to pass in parliament and the prime minister has even stated that these riots/anarchists are enough proof that we need to pass "new" crime laws and build more jails in Canada.  Also, check the national newspapers from a couple of weeks ago where the government is pondering creating a "High Treason Act".

My question is, "How are you going to be tougher on crime and what constitutes high treason?"

Canada will have the ultimate police state within 4 years.   Even Obama will be impressed.

John Galt
John Galt's picture
Hat Tips: 4906
Toronto G20

@Nigel

I'm glad you raised the point about the G20 in Toronto.

On the first day there were many peaceful protestors going about their business and everything would have unfolded very quietly and peacefully, until a small group managed to create some "havoc". To me the key moment was when the police cars got vandalized and torched, which then became the media focus for the rest of the event. I laughed when I saw that because I found it hard to believe that $1 billion worth of security expenditure was unable to prevent a couple guys with baseball bats and a Bic lighter from destroying those vehicles and setting them on fire. The provocateurs even had time to spray graffiti on the sides. What really shocked me we how fast those cars ignited. Did they get reupholstered in napalm before being left on the streets for the vandals?

The real story, of course, was what was happening inside the meetings, but as far as I'm concerned there were certain powers that did not wish to have the media spotlight shone there. (All the more reason for burning cars as a media sideshow, to give journalists an easy story to file before calling it a day).

During the G20 most people believe that there were 2 layers of security in place. The outer one (manned mostly by regular police) were the ones with the most face-to-face contact with the public. The inner layer was comprised of groups such as Mossad and Secret Service, who were there to protect heads of state etc. The untold story is that there was a 3rd level of security - one that was even higher than those protecting the likes of O'Bottom.

These 3rd-layer personnel were Blackwater types, and they had carte blanche clearance to move anywhere - unchecked. Think about it: if these guys were there to protect people more powerful than the US President, one has to question what was really going on behind the scenes and who is really running the show behind the global economic curtain.

"So you think that money is the root of all evil.
Have you ever asked what is the root of all money?"

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Crazy Canucks"