Welcome to the updated TF Metals Report! We hope you enjoy the new experience.

We've changed payment processors, so any existing renewals will need to be re-subscribed after expiration. You will receive an email when this happens. If you have any questions, send a message through the Contact page.

45 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Tue, Jun 14, 2011 - 5:32pm
Guyver
Offline
-
Netherlands
Joined: Jun 14, 2011
11
21

Copper

I was thinking about acquiring copper bullion. However there don't seem to be many bullion dealers, dealing in copper bullion. However after some search I find a private mint in the USA. It is called Provident Metals. Unfortunately they don't shop outside the US or Canada yet. But for those interested, go ahead. Just give me a HAT's up.

Edited by: Guyver on Nov 8, 2014 - 5:11am
Tue, Jun 14, 2011 - 8:10pm
PastTense
Offline
Joined: Jun 14, 2011
19
25

It is regularly sold on

It is regularly sold on eBay:

https://coins.shop.ebay.com/Copper-/166678/i.html?_catref=1&_fln=1&_trks...

However I have a very negative view of investing in copper bullion: there is no established secondary market other than eBay--and you are going to have a very high buy/sell spread.

Tue, Jun 14, 2011 - 8:20pm
Moiliili Quarry
Offline
-
Honolulu, HI
Joined: Jun 14, 2011
25
191

Nay on copper bullion

Copper is roughly $4/lb but the bullion bars/coins out there are going for more than 2x that. Ridiculous. 

Wed, Jun 15, 2011 - 9:38am
Vypuero
Offline
-
Philadephia, PA
Joined: Jun 14, 2011
1111
3999

forget about copper bullion

forget about copper - it will never be worth enough to hold physical. However, it is worth trading futures in. It seems to be trading in a range of close to $4 up to teens/low 20's so whenever it gets down to the bottom I buy and I sell somewhere in the middle. I am out of it now though. A 10 cent move can make (or lose) you $2,500. In the interest of disclosure I have lost more than I made on copper, but mostly because I bought it as my first few trades and had no idea what I was doing.

Wed, Jun 15, 2011 - 10:43am
Seacap81
Offline
-
Folsom, LA
Joined: Jun 14, 2011
70
512

If you want to invest in

If you want to invest in copper may I highly suggest you consider buying Kennedy Clads. Kennedy Clad half dollars were minted from 1965-1969 and consist of 40% silver and 60% copper. It is a beautiful way to invest in copper as you have the added protection of a silver investment in each clad. Other than that, I'd stay away from pure copper speculation in coinage.

Wed, Jun 15, 2011 - 10:45am
nevadan
Offline
-
Reno, NV
Joined: Jun 15, 2011
8
14

copper and nickel

Here is a link to a place that I found for copper and nickel. I haven't dealt with them personally.

https://www.portlandmint.com/

Wed, Jun 15, 2011 - 8:05pm (Reply to #4)
Mudsharkbytes
Offline
-
Kansas City, MO
Joined: Jun 14, 2011
920
8519

I don't know about "never"

It is both cheap and easy to invest in pre 1983 pennies which are 95% copper. I have one of those inexpensive sorters readily available on eBay and once or twice a month feed a 25$ brinks box of pennies through it. I recover approx 4.5 pounds (about $6 face value) every time. I've refilled many of those brinks boxes With 95% copper for way less than spot. In my opinion it's a mistake to assume that copper will just remain flat when gold and silver finally explode, and as long as it's still easy to find in circulation it makes good sense to me to be stacking it too - especially when it can be had in the form of "ugly Abes" for around $1.50 a pound.

Wed, Jun 15, 2011 - 8:14pm (Reply to #3)
Mudsharkbytes
Offline
-
Kansas City, MO
Joined: Jun 14, 2011
920
8519

Jerome Arizona

Moiliili Quarry wrote:

Copper is roughly $4/lb but the bullion bars/coins out there are going for more than 2x that. Ridiculous. 

Was recently in Jerome AZ, an old town that used to be the hub of a copper mine. In point of fact, there is a store there that specializes in pure copper items - antiques, coins, nuggets you name it. I brought this up with the owner and found out that, just like silver, there is a significant disconnect between the paper price of $4 a pound and the physical price which is more than double the spot price. Essentially, the only copper that can be had for spot is paper copper, not physical.
Wed, Jun 15, 2011 - 9:38pm (Reply to #5)
silversalmon
Offline
-
Greenland
Joined: Jun 15, 2011
73
743

40% clads for copper value

Interesting, do you really buy 40% clads for their copper value. Is it worth it? Who melts them down for the copper content as opposed to the silver content?

Thu, Jun 16, 2011 - 12:59am
wackzingo
Offline
-
WA
Joined: Jun 14, 2011
37
443

It is a waste to invest in

It is a waste to invest in pre-1983 Lincoln Cents for the copper bullion. They are not copper as many penny hoarders believe, they are red brass.

Thu, Jun 16, 2011 - 2:32am (Reply to #10)
Prize Fighter
Offline
-
FL
Joined: Jun 14, 2011
631
3350

subect field

wackzingo wrote:

It is a waste to invest in pre-1983 Lincoln Cents for the copper bullion. They are not copper as many penny hoarders believe, they are red brass.

Care to elaborate? Even if pre-83 pennies were red brass, that is 85% copper. However, pre-83 pennies are 95% copper. You say different?

Thu, Jun 16, 2011 - 10:37am
tmosley
Offline
-
Lubbock, TX
Joined: Jun 14, 2011
1892
14945

Yup, pre 1982 pennies are

Yup, pre 1982 pennies are definitely 95% copper, not brass. 1982 pennies have some that are copper, some that are zinc. Unless you have a detector, it's not really worth it to sort these.

If you want to invest in physical copper, the only way to really make money is to own a scrap yard. Not exactly something you can run out of the house. Not really worth it. Delivery costs are just too high to do it any other way.

Thu, Jun 16, 2011 - 11:30am (Reply to #9)
Seacap81
Offline
-
Folsom, LA
Joined: Jun 14, 2011
70
512

No, I buy clads for their

No, I buy clads for their silver content, Period. It was only a suggestion to someone who wanted to find a way to invest in Copper. Incidentally, when a person buys Kennedy Clads you are only paying for the Silver Content - you get the Copper Free! So why waste money on copper bullion when you can get it free. Same with 90% junk silver, the balance 10% of copper is free. I know we are talking very small sums of money in copper, but if someone thinks copper is headed much higher than this is the perfect way to invest in it absolutely FREE. 

Thu, Jun 16, 2011 - 2:51pm (Reply to #10)
Mudsharkbytes
Offline
-
Kansas City, MO
Joined: Jun 14, 2011
920
8519

Not Copper? Then what about junk silver?

wackzingo wrote:

It is a waste to invest in pre-1983 Lincoln Cents for the copper bullion. They are not copper as many penny hoarders believe, they are red brass.

They are 95% copper and 5% zinc. Though 'technically' brass, this percentage is referred to as "gilding brass". The copper content is still there.

By the same logic, pre 1964 dimes which are 90% silver and 10% copper (also known as "coin silver") are not really silver at all and not worth collecting.

Bottom line - when copper starts hitting levels like $20 a pound - you better believe pre 1984 copper pennies will have long ago disappeared from circulation and will ​be valued accordingly, which will be a lot more than the face value you pay for them today.

Thu, Jun 16, 2011 - 3:05pm
Cucamonga
Offline
-
Under A Rock
XX
Joined: Jun 14, 2011
54
581

Craigslist - MN

(500) LBS 95% U.S. Copper Pennies(1982-older) Spot/Metal Value $2055 - $1275 (Rochester, Mn

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/clt/2441102473.html 

That works out to 73K pennys. 

Thu, Jun 16, 2011 - 6:22pm
Woody Mornings
Offline
Joined: Jun 15, 2011
70
302

Copper Sense

If copper interests you pick up a ryedale ($500) and get sorting. I used to process $700 worth of pennies a week. Now I sort about $100 worth. For me its a fun hobby + each copper cent is worth 271.78% of face value with no downside risk.......a cent will always be worth a cent. I recouped my $500 investment selling them on ebay. Now I just add to my hoard. Once I run out of space I'll start selling them again.

Thu, Jun 16, 2011 - 6:48pm (Reply to #16)
stalking wolf
Offline
Joined: Jun 15, 2011
103
580

pennies

I heard pennies are 5% zinc. If so, are the pennies still useful? Can the zinc be extracted from the pennies? I heard the nickel in nickels makes it pointless to worry about then copper in them. What do you think?

"A building's form should follow it's function", Howard Roarke.
Thu, Jun 16, 2011 - 10:31pm (Reply to #16)
Mudsharkbytes
Offline
-
Kansas City, MO
Joined: Jun 14, 2011
920
8519

Brinks $25 boxes

Woody Mornings wrote:

If copper interests you pick up a ryedale ($500) and get sorting. I used to process $700 worth of pennies a week. Now I sort about $100 worth. For me its a fun hobby + each copper cent is worth 271.78% of face value with no downside risk.......a cent will always be worth a cent. I recouped my $500 investment selling them on ebay. Now I just add to my hoard. Once I run out of space I'll start selling them again.

Did you have any problems taking 28+ boxes of pennies out of your bank weekly? What about returning the zinc crap? My bank has a free coinstar machine for their customers so returning the refuse has not been an issue for me.
Fri, Jun 17, 2011 - 12:21am (Reply to #17)
Mudsharkbytes
Offline
-
Kansas City, MO
Joined: Jun 14, 2011
920
8519

Still useful

stalking wolf wrote:

I heard pennies are 5% zinc. If so, are the pennies still useful? Can the zinc be extracted from the pennies? I heard the nickel in nickels makes it pointless to worry about then copper in them. What do you think?

So called "Junk" silver is 10% copper yet you do not hear anybody wondering whether or not the silver content in them is still useful.

The zinc in pennies can be extracted if necessary, but that does not change the fact that pre 1983 pennies contain 2.95 grams of copper in them alongside the 0.16 grams of zinc.

The copper content in junk silver does not seem to debase the value of the silver in those coins, so why should the smaller percentage-wise content of zinc in pre 1983 pennies debase the value of the copper in them?

Fri, Jun 17, 2011 - 1:45am
PastTense
Offline
Joined: Jun 14, 2011
19
25

Mudsharkbytes: Why? Because

Mudsharkbytes:

Why? Because of the high cost of refining. Over the years I have heard many people talk about collecting pennies for their copper content--but I have heard of none who have actually had these refined into pure copper. Have you?

Fri, Jun 17, 2011 - 2:09am
Captain Silver
Offline
-
East Jesus, FL
Joined: Jun 14, 2011
156
755

Copper rod/bus bar

Found a local machine shop that makes copper bus bars and copper rods for a local automated controls company. They will sell the cut scrap by the pound for pretty much whatever they can get. It's all what they call 99.97% low oxygen Cu stock. Check local shops, maybe you'll get lucky. I have just been stacking the scraps for some time. One day I'll either pour bars or take it to the mint. For common industrial metals like copper, someone will always have scrap to sell. Don't pay the bullion premiums!!! They're ridiculous!

Our monetary system has been hijacked by morons! Abandon ship!!!!

Notice: If you do not see your new comment immediately, do not be alarmed. We are currently refreshing new comments approximately every 2 minutes to better manage performance while working on other issues. Thank you for your patience.

Become a gold member and subscribe to Turd's Vault

Contribute

Donate  Shop

The TFMR Silver Round
Buying Gold

Recent Comments

CaptK ...
by phil288, 6 min 40 sec ago
by Solsson, 42 min 31 sec ago
by Solsson, 1 hour 6 min ago
by Turd Ferguson, 1 hour 58 min ago
randomness