Better than Food Storage: Wild Harvest

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
lottiedah
lottiedah's picture
Hat Tips: 3917
Better than Food Storage: Wild Harvest

So, what happens when my food storage runs out?   ...And, am I not helping the corporate corrupted by buying their products for my pantry?  Storing garden harvest by canning, curing and drying are great ideas,  however,  I'd like to introduce you to the world of WILD HARVEST. 

Many of the plants we consider weeds were actually used as food stuffs by the native peoples of this land or were brought from Europe or Asia as food stuff.  Learning what is edible and medicinal in our locales can go a long way to satisfy the nutritional needs of our families.  Plants like dandelion, curly dock, salsify, mallow, pursalane, red clover, wild mint, wild onion even thistle!  The list goes on and on!  Many of these plants grow where nothing else will.  Time for a paradigm shift!

Yesterday, I tried thistle for the first time.  The edible  part is the pith in the stalk.  Using gloves all the leaves and pricklies can be discarded.  It tasted like raw asparagas.   Heading to the desert next week for hiking.  I plan to add thistle to my curry dish as it will be a fresh veggie on the trail.  

Exercise your freedom, educate yourself.

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 05:06
stalking wolf
stalking wolf's picture
Hat Tips: 580
weed eating

It's nice to know there will be at least one other person to play chess with if TSHTF.  This is a no brainer If you don't have a through understanding of the woods including everything plants, animals, insects, ext, a gun really won't do much for ya.  Think about it you could try to sleep in your house bugged out about the hordes of retards out there, or you could chilax in a hole up on the hill, if no one can see you, a gun just becomes 10 pounds of dead weight.  Get Tom Brown Jrs Field Survival Guide he shows you how to become a native of this amazing continent.

"A building's form should follow it's function", Howard Roarke.

oldtimegal
oldtimegal's picture
Hat Tips: 181
Lottiedah, Very good topic.

Lottiedah,

Very good topic.  There are medicinal/wildcrafting workshops becoming more popular in some communities. About 7 years ago, I engaged in one which was 5 months long.  Our classroom was spent in the woods in various parks and out in some remote land.  Our class time was all day once a week.

Quite a few books on the shelves about this topic, but one needs to do their homework in re of who is putting out the book.  A hands-on workshop is the true treasure of learning about this.

I have learned how to make tinctures using plants and have a variety of them.  On the flip side, one needs to know which plants NOT to injest! 

There are national and state conventions in re of herbs/wildcrafting as well.  In NC, there are some excellent places to visit.  I suggest folks look into this.  

Paladex
Paladex's picture
Hat Tips: 2871
planting crops on public land

You guys might enjoy this letter by a guy who did an experiment: he planted potatoes, turnips and a bunch of other stuff on public land, and waited to see what  happened. Basically, it all grew beautifully and nobody screwed with it.

http://www.survivalblog.com/2011/06/letter_re_gardening_in_plain_s.html

“Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.”
― Mark Twain

ColonelCooper
ColonelCooper's picture
Hat Tips: 21
Foraging natural foods is a

Foraging natural foods is a great idea, fun to do, an interesting hobby, and an ideal way to get in touch with nature.  The scary part however, is the amount of space it takes to support one person hunting/gathering.  If TSHTF in a serious way, the foraging scenario will be little different than the hunting and fishing one, except you and I won't eat plants that make us sick before it all runs out.

The sad part, is that in order to live in a world like many of us would like to, we're gonna have to be able to survive off of storage, small agriculture, and domesticated meat/fisheries long enough to ride out the mass die off that would accompany TSHTF. 

The only reason most of us can enjoy a semblance of nature now is because 98% of the people on the planet don't want anything to do with it.  When the sewers back up, and the store shelves are empty, the sheeple and the mobs will overrun all but our last wild places, and leave them as barren as a strip mall parking lot.

Tom Brown Jr.'s books are great.  They actually helped me to regain a connection with the woods that I had kind of walked away from a long time ago.   His books however, are not meant as prep for TEOTWAKI, although they may give you a decided advantage if you actually practice what he teaches.  His books are trying to keep knowledge alive, and spread teachings about the way to live in harmony with nature.  Nowhere in his books does he plan for tens of millions leaving the cities, trampling the forests, destroying what you've worked so hard to get to know. 

Unless you EXIST that way right now, putting all of your eggs in Grandfather's basket is little more preparation than the urbanite who has a couple of Datrek bars and a gold coin in a rucksack.  If we are talking about preparing for a shitstorm, we need to transition (ASAP) to living as self sustaining of a lifestyle as possible, in conjunction with like minded people, in as rural of an area as possible.  In my opinion, "chilaxing" in a hole, and snaring a deer might get you by for a while, but it ain't gonna last if TSHTF, especially if you are trying to keep a family alive.

I'll hang on to my extra 10 pounds of dead weight.

lottiedah
lottiedah's picture
how to book

Stalking wolf, 

I'll have to pack a book on how to play chess!  hahaha

Thanks for this recommendation:  Tom Brown 'Jrs Field Survival Guide'

I'd also add:  'Stalking the Goodlife', Yule Gibbons

as well as 'Little Herb Encyclopedia'

Those who are new to this idea, be sure to choose plants from an area that has not been sprayed with herbicides or pesticides.  Also, try (at first) a small amount of any plant to make sure you do not have a bad reaction.  We are all different and our responses to our environment will be as individual as we are.

lottiedah
lottiedah's picture
good info

Good info, thanks for sharing!

lottiedah
lottiedah's picture
Garden Harvest is Wise

ColonelCooper

You make some good points.  I am an advocate of garden harvest and storage, as well, however feel no need to "weed" what is already growing in my gardens. 

I don't see millions of people escaping the cities in a bad scenerio. I think there would be much violence and many would "cling" to whatever they 'have' that offers them "comfort".  It is just the nature of the deluded beast.  We see people fleeing war zones, but many stay to 'defend' their stuff.   Many do not realize that clinging is death already.

Think zombie.

ColonelCooper
ColonelCooper's picture
Lottie--- I don't disagree

Lottie--- I don't disagree with anything you say, or are doing, as my family has also made an effort in the last couple of years to add wild forage to our diet.  I just see it as a small piece of a big pie. 

Whether or not the hills become overrun with a zombie horde is really dependant (IMHO) on what type of collapse/decline we go through.  I think it would take some kind of an EMP type of event to really send the hordes over the hills.  Even lacking an apocalyptic style event, I do know that just the people in a rural community will deplenish the levels of wild game very rapidly if not managed.  We can slow slide ourselves right into that scenario pretty rapidly.   My local area averages 22 deer per square mile.  When the locals take 1-3 a year, we maintain.  If we all started to take 6-7??? 

I don't think it would take a zombie invasion to have locals trampling the wild berry patches that so few frequent now.  I also know that the amount of space it takes to sustain a person in a hunt/gather diet is huge, and the amount of energy required to do so is high.  I don't plan for a large percentage of my calories to come from wild forage.  I just don't believe there will be enough left if things head into a new greatest depression.

My response was more aimed at Stalking Wolf, who while I respect his point of view, has seemed to take the "chilax" approach, and quote Tom Brown in nearly every post.  Unless he has actually been under Tom's personal training, I remain skeptical of his snaring a deer and finding it hanging in the air at the fork of the trail.  I've taken dozens and dozens of deer in my life, both with firearms and a bow.  It ain't as easy as it sounds on paper.  I've studied a lot of Mr. Brown's teachings, and tried to apply them in my woods time, but I have my doubts about Stalking Wolf's approach to preparedness as being successful in today's world, at least by itself.  We just have a couple of hundred million too many people.  There's a reason Mr. Brown has had to work so hard to keep his knowledge alive.  We have all but destroyed the world he teaches about, and that's when we have Walmart, Dasani bottled water, and take out food.  Get rid of the comforts, and IMO it's game over.

I garden, raise rabbits, butcher my own meat bought "on the hoof", hunt, fish, forage, can, smoke, dry, pickle and ferment.  I live as closely to the land as just about anyone can and still have a full time job.  Admittedly, my above post was a bit apocalyptic, but my stance on preparedness, which I take very seriously, includes the possibility.   In addition to being an active participant in aquiring most of my food, I have an additional year + of food storage.  Some is long term and remains untouched, some is rotated stock.  It's all part of having one's preparedness be well rounded and adaptable.  I don't see myself as clinging to anything in particular, if the lights went out tomorrow, I wouldn't live all that much differently than I do now, I would just have a lot less complications. 

If my first post seemed to disparage your OP, it wasn't meant to.  The idea is not only sound, it's an important part of preparedness, being a part of nature, and even if nothing else, an interesting and healthy hobby.

Good luck.

lottiedah
lottiedah's picture
Big Pie

ColonelCooper, 

Sounds like we have similar lifestyles, growing most all we eat.  Adding wild harvest to the pie is something I am doing.  I am enjoying the abundance of something that is usually discarded.  The big pie idea is good to keep in mind.  Meaning, remaining open and flexible to new ideas and ways of solving issues that come up.

I took no offense to your post.  wink

May we all find ways to live better for ourselves, community and planet.

Be Blessed.

stalking wolf
stalking wolf's picture
@colonelcooper

Colonel, I agree with storing food and have nothing against firearms.  What I am trying to say is we should also store knowledge as well as bullion.  In a SHTF scenario most will parish depending on the season within 3 hours to 3 days and the last wave ending on the 30th day.  Why? nobody understands the 4 truths of survival and the rule of 3's.  One will die in 3 min. without air, one will die in 3 hours without shelter, one will die in 3 days without water, one will die in 3 weeks without food.  So in order of importance, Shelter, water, fire, food.  If one breaks this order they are asking to be kicked in the ass.  Your average person from the city would run around like a chicken who's head has been chopped off or demand food from the national guard trying to maintain order.  So, I would say more then 30 to 50 miles outside of any major populated zone would be safe from zombies.  You have to know how to walk in a straight line if you intend on getting somewhere, most do not.  Not to mention most people live in some fake made up world of tv diners and dancing with the stars, if this world crumbles, they would panic.  In the words of the real Stalking Wolf, " nature will never hurt you, as long as you don't panic".

stalking wolf
stalking wolf's picture
Land Shrimp @colonelcooper

Colonel the reason I'm so Acouna Matada about things is because I have no problem catching land shrimp(bugs) for sustenance. You can chilax almost anywhere on this planet and find creepy crawly things to eat.  Fish? Hunt? Way to much work.  Trapping is the only reliable way for food.  You can walk in your local parks and see for yourself, animals are just as habitual as humans,"If you wear your trail down without any variation, eventually the trail becomes a trench, and the walls of the trench will blind you of any alternative route",  words of the real Stalking Wolf.

Dr G
Dr G's picture
Hat Tips: 17985
Great thread. I live in

Great thread. I live in Arizona and all of the vegetation and uses of the natural habitat never cease to amaze me. I don't know enough yet, but I'm learning for sure.

lottiedah
lottiedah's picture
Creepy Crawlies: Wid Harvest?

Stalking Wolf, 

I'd like to know more about the creepy crawly harvest.  Enlighten us, please!

ColonelCooper
ColonelCooper's picture
@stalking wolf

Cool.  Perhaps I owe you an apology for rushing to judgement.  As someone who works outdoors, and spends nearly all of my awake free time outdoors in one pursuit or another, I find that most people don't have the foggiest idea what outdoors really is.  Perhaps we could play chess if the SHTF.

You can come to my shack though, I'll at least have a fire going in the cookstove, and with a bit of luck may be able to do a bit better than land shrimp.  Course, if you bring them with you, I'll try them ;)

stalking wolf
stalking wolf's picture
@lottida and colonel cooper

Lets get something straight hear, do I eat bugs on the regular? Hell no, Im straight RAW, butter and Bee Pollen, milk and wildflower honey, but hunger is the best flavor with an open mind, and nature always provides something.  Off the top of my head most moths, grubs, ants, termites, larva, eggs, grass hoppers, crickets, earth worms, hell I've read there is a bug in California that shits some kind of sugar on whats left of the reed grass.  While we are on the wild food topic, let me enlighten you guys to the meaning of the Mohawk word Adirondacks, which is land of the tree eaters.

lottiedah
lottiedah's picture
Chess and Mess at the cave!

I, too, am a purest when it comes to my food.  Nice to know I'm in good company! Especially when we get together for chess when the fit hits the shan!  Looking forward to it wolf and cooper! haha

I am curious now, though.  I will be looking into the creepy crawly stuff.  Once I  had caramelized grasshoppers in Japan. I'll have to find the sugar shitter to see if I can recreate the masterpiece in the wild! haha cheeky

stalking wolf
stalking wolf's picture
Yes Chess

maybe lotti, colonel, turd and I could play some 2 headed giant chess after the grit tits the band:)  I'll start thinking of a way to make a caveman clock, chess is a game, speed chess is a sport.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Better than Food Storage: Wild Harvest"