Our power was out the past week

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Pablo
Pablo's picture
Hat Tips: 1053
Our power was out the past week

Thought I would share with you how thanks to Turd Ferguson we survived a tornado in style.

Internet was down, storm damage, everything kaput for a week. But everything here is safe and sound and the power is back on, only minor damage to our place. I guess I need to add gas generator to my disaster preps. Was trying to avoid  spending the $$$ on that. Believe it or not this prep stuff works for tornados too, we were living high on the hog - wife was cooking everything in the freezer for the neighbors, I was running around with my Big F*#ing Flashlight and orange safety vest, we had plent of food/water/first aid it was a great dry run.

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 05:06
thecoloredsky
thecoloredsky's picture
Hat Tips: 1331
Glad everything is ok Pablo.

Glad everything is ok Pablo. This reminds me of when a tornado blasted through here in NC only a few months ago. Almost made it seem there are two degrees of preparation. First one is full blown out disaster, like a nuclear plant meltdown or a hurricane wiping out your city and you have to get out of dodge quick. The other is a temporary (and isolated) emergency where you know the power will come back  on in a few days. I found myself ill-prepared for the second one... having a bug out bag with survival necessities including a sleeping bag, tent, tools and knives, water purification, the whole she-bang. That stuff is useful, but not as much when experiencing a temporary power outage. My neighbor had a generator and he was living it up for the few days, kept on doing his thing while I had to go to Walmart and load up on candles and oil lanterns. Suffice to say, now I have those temporary preps. A generator is key or at least some sort of solar charging panels to keep rechargeable batteries going. Not sure if you read ferfal's take on the Argentinean collapse back in 2001, but he highly recommends a generator. This might be my next big purchase as well.

Pablo
Pablo's picture
Hat Tips: 1053
Yes I agree with you, we

Yes I agree with you, we definitely need: generator, solar charger, extension cords, and gas.

Our buckets of rice and beans didn't really help during this situation :)

valleygirl
valleygirl's picture
Hat Tips: 303
Thanks, good points here.

Thanks, good points here. Made me think how, in summer, even just having enough juice to power a couple of fans would be a huge blessing (and a way to start drying things out in the house after a heavy rainstorm).

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Our power was out the past week"