US Mint: First Spouse 1/2 oz vs American Gold Eagles 1 oz

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Moiliili Quarry
Moiliili Quarry's picture
Hat Tips: 191
US Mint: First Spouse 1/2 oz vs American Gold Eagles 1 oz

For the guys with some numismatic experience ... 

I'm debating whether to acquire some First Spouse 1/2 oz gold coin today from the US Mint. Today, they began selling Julia Grant gold coinage. I prefer the proof, never owned one before. But at $929 for the half-ouncer, that's roughly $170 over spot (per oz). I don't mind paying premium for the 5-oz America The Beautiful silver coinage, but the First Spouse gold? It's a tough call, especially when American Gold Eagles are available much cheaper. There's a side of me that is practical and has remained sealed to lower bullion prices. But a small part of me is digging the numismatic flavor of coins. Tough call. In addition, a new ATB is out next Wednesday, and on Thursday, new American Silver Eagle proofs go on sale. (I've been also buying junk silver, and silver and gold at lower prices.) 

Did some checking on eBay regarding the First Spouse coins. There have been previous series (2007, '08, '09) of First Spouse half-ounce gold coins, and some of them are selling below spot. They include a half-ounce Dolley Madison ('07) currently going for $676 (with 2 days left).

This site lists the Dolley Madison mintages at 18,355 for proof, 12,541 for uncirculated. I think that Dolley coin will get much higher before the deadline.

Paying $170 over spot for a new Julia Dent proof or even a Mary Todd Lincoln proof doesn't make sense, especially with the possibility of Spot Gold prices dropping this summer. 

Leaning toward waiting a day, a week or longer. If spot prices tank again tomorrow, I'll avoid premium prices; US Mint's prices are locked and will not adjust to the spot. In that case, I'm better off waiting and getting American Gold Eagles elsewhere at "only" $100 over spot. If I wait, I may miss out on the First Spouses, but I like my chances by being patient. 

Input welcome :)
Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 05:31
No1Hunter
No1Hunter's picture
Hat Tips: 1324
Wrong on one point

"US Mint's prices are locked and will not adjust to the spot."

They will not adjust TO spot but they do adjust the price of gold and platinum (not silver) coins depending on what the spot price is.

http://catalog.usmint.gov/wcsstore/ConsumerDirect/images/catalog/en_US/GoldCoinGrid.pdf

Moiliili Quarry
Up up and away

US Mint upped the price of the First Spouse proof 1/2 oz proof from $929 to $954 ... then again up to $979 recently. 

https://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=16286&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=49004

$979 for a half-oz gold coin. I can't dig it. 

No1Hunter
No1Hunter's picture
Hat Tips: 1324
Mint Gold Price increase

If you are going to buy, you should buy today as you can expect an increase in the Mint prices by at least $50 tomorrow based upon the current spot price for the last week..

Silver bear of ...
Silver bear of very little brain's picture
Hat Tips: 293
What is this First Spouse

What is this First Spouse nonsense? Are you going to have a second wive's club issue?  If you are going down this route think of the ramifications of finding a coin capable of fitting Michelle's............. Oh never mind!

I like my honey solid and golden

Dr Durden
Dr Durden's picture
Hat Tips: 5371
I bought an NGC slabbed Abby

I bought an NGC slabbed Abby Adams about a month ago and I paid under spot net on eBay for it. I buy numi's if I can find them for the same price as those out of tubes. So far, I've found quite a few...so i'd say look around before paying out your ass on the premium. 

Got GIABO?

"It's called the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." ~George Carlin

Moiliili Quarry
Yes!

Will do Doc! I'm not paying that premium. Can't do it. But I'll shop like you advised. 

Cccmachine
Cccmachine's picture
Hat Tips: 2
I ordered a 1 oz gold eagle

I ordered a 1 oz gold eagle for $1787 right before this big run up.The mint keeps pushing back the shipping date on my order. Has anyone else had this problem? What are the chances of me getting my coin?

Cccmachine
Cccmachine's picture
Hat Tips: 2
I ordered a 1 oz gold eagle

I ordered a 1 oz gold eagle for $1787 right before this big run up.The mint keeps pushing back the shipping date on my order. Has anyone else had this problem? What are the chances of me getting my coin?

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "US Mint: First Spouse 1/2 oz vs American Gold Eagles 1 oz"