Brave browser, phone and tablet

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Tue, Oct 23, 2018 - 12:14am
boomer sooner
-
Norman, OK

Brave browser, phone and tablet

Didn't know whether to post on another or start new.

HTC 10 phone brave browser loads and plays todays podcast. But text is really small (to match Craig's chart width, guessing) and had to zoom, which ment side scrolling, portrait. When in landscape, the header takes up 1/3 of the upper portion, very few lines of text visible and 1/2 the chart.

The opening thread today (no player), text was easily legible.

Samsung 10 tablet brave browser error 100000 for podcast. Does not load podcast or play. Guessing I have something on/off on the tablet. Any ideas. Text is the same on both the main thread and podcast, very legible and no issue.

Tue, Oct 23, 2018 - 6:00pm
nixter
-
St Catharines,
Canada

Hey Turd

the new site is terribly difficult to navigate, last night (Monday) couldn't get site to open at all! Today (now) when I click on the arrow for todays podcast it takes me to a bunch of little banners for facebook, itunes, etc. ,where's the podcast. Maybe it's me, I've been playing with this for a 1/2 hour, that's enough, as you like to say "I'm outa here" /nick/

Tue, Oct 23, 2018 - 6:17pm

Thank you for letting us know

Thank you for letting us know about the text on HTC 10. We'll probably need to bump up the font for smaller devices a bit.

The header issue taking up too much room on a small device is something we know about and have on our list. I'm confident we'll be able to get that resolved and won't be an issue.

As for Samsung 10, have you tried with a different browser to see if it's different? Would be good if we can narrow down if it is an issue with a specific browser, or coming up with all browsers.

Also were cookies accepted on those devices prior to trying to load podcasts? Just want to make sure we understand the process. Thanks.

Tue, Oct 23, 2018 - 6:20pm (Reply to #2)

Nick, can you explain in a

Nick, can you explain in a bit more detail what you mean when you say it takes you to a bunch of little banners for facebook, itunes, etc? Are you referring to the links directly below the player to share the podcast with others?

When you click the arrow, it should take you to the page where the podcast and all the comments are listed, where you can click the player at the top. If you're not seeing the player, then I would ask if you accepted cookies by clicking the banner at the bottom of the page?

Tue, Oct 23, 2018 - 6:54pm (Reply to #4)
nixter
-
St Catharines,
Canada

Nick, can you explain in a

Nick, can you explain in a bit more detail what you mean when you say it takes you to a bunch of little banners for facebook, itunes, etc? Are you referring to the links directly below the player to share the podcast with others? (YES) and, yes, I accepted the cookies disclaimer. It's probably me. There is a "play" arrow in the centre of today's podcast, when I click on it, it takes me to these links to other sites. No luck yet!

Tue, Oct 23, 2018 - 7:49pm

Ok it definitely should not

Ok it definitely should not be doing that. I was having problems a little earlier accessing the podcast because Turd needed to wait a few so the file can be distributed around the world. But I'm now able to access it with no problem.

Can you tell me what device are you using (iPad, iPhone, laptop, something else) and what browser do you use (Chrome, Firefox, Safari, etc.). Thank you!

Tue, Oct 23, 2018 - 10:44pm (Reply to #6)
nixter
-
St Catharines,
Canada

I was originally working on..

my desktop Windows 10 Firefox browser, when that wasn't (and isn't) working I tried on my

MacBook Air (Safari) podcast wouldn't open

Then i tried my phone (iPhone 7) Safari = nothing there either!! this is really getting frustrating! (probably is for you too)

Tue, Oct 23, 2018 - 11:10pm

I think I figured out your

I think I figured out your issue, since we just had someone else with the same problem.

You may want to check your email. We sent you a message at 11:42am Eastern on October 22 (yesterday). Hopefully you received it.

We mentioned in the email and in a message on the top of the site (see the blue box above on this page) that we have switched payment processors. With the switch, they do not allow us to transfer billing information due to financial compliance regulations.

So what this means for you and everyone else is your subscription ends at the last date (for you it was October 22 at 11:42am), and you need to reconnect by visiting the subscribe page, selecting what you want and adding new billing information:

https://www.tfmetalsreport.com/subscribe

That should give you access once again. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Wed, Oct 24, 2018 - 11:31pm
boomer sooner
-
Norman, OK

Brave Browser on Samsung 10

It is the browser. Opened in Chrome and played fine, just the dreaded ads and popups.

Now to figure out why not on brave.

The HTC seems to fit the text to the chart and player width, the text is way to small to read. Serious zoom needed, then probably 20 characters are off screen. On the Samsung 10 tablet, the text is the same width as the charts/player, but the larger screen of the tablet makes it legible.

Thu, Oct 25, 2018 - 12:18am (Reply to #9)

That's interesting. So the

That's interesting. So the text on a Samsung Galaxy and iPhone are fairly reasonable size to read even in portrait layout. We could potentially go a little bigger so that it works better on HTCs without it being too big for Galaxy's and iPhones. Hopefully we can find a sweet spot because at a certain point if there are only 2 words per line on an iPhone, it's not going to work.

This is the dilemma of no standardizations existing between mobile devices. Everyone builds their own thing at their own resolutions, and then it's impossible to build a site that works perfectly well for everyone.

We have different font sizes for different screen dimensions.... so a monitor might be at one size, while a tablet in landscape view is another, and in portrait view is a third, and so on. The problem though is devices render based on the resolution, so it can look completely different from one to the next even though it's technically the exact same size.

Were you able to get the podcast player working, or still having issues with that?

Sat, Jan 19, 2019 - 2:02pm
boomer sooner
-
Norman, OK

Admin Help!

I did as you suggested and cleared history and cookie stored in Brave Browser to reset the updates here on the site. Now when I go to login, I am stuck in a perpetual loop on the login page. I am typing this in Chrome.

What the heck did I do? I hate chrome.

Tue, Jan 22, 2019 - 10:05pm
boomer sooner
-
Norman, OK

Figured it out

I disabled cookies to be read. Authorized cookie reading, and wala. Back in through Brave. Don't know why it worked in chrome.

Tue, Jan 22, 2019 - 10:18pm

Hey @boomer, so you had to

Hey @boomer, so you had to disable and re-enable to get it to work? I have a clean Brave install on my iPad and haven't had any issues. Maybe needed old cookies to be cleared out of the browser?

Edit: Just re-reading your previous comment... wondering if there is something unique about Brave where clearing out the cookies doesn't fully clear out old content? Haven't run into the problem you had, but will keep in mind about the disable approach if we see it come up again.