New design comments

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Mon, Oct 22, 2018 - 12:51pm
HappyNow
-
Canada

New design comments

I guess it’s the latest thing because I see other sites going to this design.

It must be good for mobile because it takes much away from the laptop experience.

And it takes away from the mobile experience as well. Mostly it takes away branding. These sites all look the same. When I am looking across my open tabs it was easy to see which board was which, for instance this one was predominantly yellow, another site a blue and another red and so on.

Now they are like a pile of loose papers. All white around the edges and with typefaces or fonts that are...not differentiating.

With regard to ease of reading, it’s a mixed bag. Maybe use some different fonts for different purposes so I can use other parts of my brain to navigate rather than having to read for comprehension and decide every time.

Looking forward to all the design types (folks with an understanding of design for ease of use) getting a handle on the new lowest common denominator and thinking about how people perceive and process information beyond words.

One thing I could use help with. When I opened the site up on my iPad I declined the cookies. I now understand that may affect my access to all the site has to offer. How can I change that? (Safari Browser)

Edited by: HappyNow on Oct 22, 2018 - 1:25pm
Swing trade indexed ETFs. Long physical gold, silver, and 1 miner.
Tue, Oct 23, 2018 - 6:14pm

I understand your thoughts,

I understand your thoughts, and I think Craig is going to be doing some adjustments in the coming days.

What exists here is pretty much as "baseline canvas" for Craig to adjust into what he would like it to be. Just about every area can be changed in color, and all the fonts modified.

I would say just have some patience while he has a chance to review and ask us questions, and I'm sure you'll see some changes coming.

Regarding cookies, hopefully this page will help give you some answers:

https://www.wikihow.com/Clear-Your-Browser's-Cookies

Tue, Oct 23, 2018 - 10:18pm
Fred Hayek

Sorry, I don't like it

The look of the site, all big pictures and visual features is the sort of style that, sorry, I associate with sites that are dumb and worthless.

I really don't like that the display of the threads is kind of messed up and that you no longer see when it was started etc.

Honestly, I don't see the point of the change. But that's just me.

Being a policeman is only easy in a police state -- Touch of Evil(1957)
Wed, Oct 24, 2018 - 1:39am

Fred, one thing to consider

Fred, one thing to consider with all the "big pictures" and such is how much of the site traffic comes from mobile.

Believe it or not, over 60% of all website visits are from people on phones and tablets. So that means everything to a certain degree needs to be "bigger" so it fills the area when someone is viewing on an iPhone or iPad. Having larger images makes it easier to click on things with your finger.

Also don't judge the site too much just yet. There are a *lot* of things that can be changed if Craig wishes. And we have a lot more updates in the next few weeks that will refine and improve.

So give us a little time, this isn't a final product.

Wed, Oct 24, 2018 - 9:53am
Whitecastle123
-
Minnetonka, MN

Bring the site back.

This is the strangest site I’ve ever been on. Period. Won’t accept my passwords, the public viewing seems to be shut down for 2-3 day old podcasts and comments. This place looks like a sterile clean room. It’s been over 5 years, see ya.

Wed, Oct 24, 2018 - 10:48am
Joseph Warren

My biggest issue is that I

My biggest issue is that I get 'snow blindness' if I read the new site very long. It's actually painful. Turning the brightness setting helps that a little bit. If there's a change in background color that may help, but sometimes I've found that more difficult to read too - (with screen page colors like pale tan or yellow and black print.)

I'm no graphic artist, but it might help if there was more variation of colors on the site. That seem to help relieve the eye strain of lots of white.

Wed, Oct 24, 2018 - 12:13pm
Robertoe
-
Norwich

I am happy to help

If you need any testers for new releases. I am happy to help out. You guys are on the right path and as the platform evolves from MVP in the forth coming weeks everyone will love it. Remember happy users don't bother to comment compared to those with a negative view point.

I do like to dodge bulls

Wed, Oct 24, 2018 - 12:57pm Whitecastle123

Whitecastle123 wrote:

Whitecastle123 wrote:

This is the strangest site I’ve ever been on. Period. Won’t accept my passwords, the public viewing seems to be shut down for 2-3 day old podcasts and comments. This place looks like a sterile clean room. It’s been over 5 years, see ya.

Ok, won't accept your passwords, but yet you are logged in and commenting? We were having issues with users and the cookie situation, so we disabled all of it to make sure everyone could log in. And here you are.

"Public viewing seems to be shut down for 2-3 day old podcasts and comments." ... We sent you an email on October 20, 2018 at 7:13pm Eastern. Your subscription has expired. As is mentioned right at the top of this page (and of every page on the site), we switched payment processors. The processor does not allow us to take billing information with us, because it is a financial compliance regulation. So, you have to visit the subscribe page to re-connect your account to have the right level of access:

https://www.tfmetalsreport.com/subscribe

Wed, Oct 24, 2018 - 1:03pm Joseph Warren

Joseph Warren wrote:

Joseph Warren wrote:

I'm no graphic artist, but it might help if there was more variation of colors on the site. That seem to help relieve the eye strain of lots of white.

Really should think of all of this as a "canvas" for Turd to paint on. By no means is this final and I fully expect he'll be making some changes as he gets more used to all of his options.

What he had before was the equivalent of a nice fireplace... throw logs in to keep it going and everyone stays warm. Now he has a nuclear power plant with all the controls that go with it.

Wed, Oct 24, 2018 - 1:09pm Robertoe

Thanks for the willingness to

Thanks for the willingness to help. Even just sharing comments and pointing out things that look broken or "a little funny" goes a long way to getting things improved.

I know there is a lot of consternation in some of the comments, but I have yet to hear anything that concerns me. Everything is doable or can be exposed in the back-end to allow Craig to change the settings. Whether or not Craig wants to make those changes is up to him.

We just need a bit of patience from everyone and we'll get there. And totally get the happy users versus vocal ones.

Wed, Oct 24, 2018 - 11:36pm
TomMack
-
midamerica

the new site looks great

the new site looks great

It is the BILL of RIGHTS not the BILL of NEEDS

Wed, Oct 24, 2018 - 11:50pm
Nick Elway

Where are the comments

I would catch up quickly by reading comments, newest first.

If a new forum is lively, I'd learn that quickly. I really, really miss the ability to catch up on the main threads AND the forums.

Am I missing a button somewhere?

Bummed, Nick Elway

Thu, Oct 25, 2018 - 12:08am

Thanks Tom, appreciate the

Thanks Tom, appreciate the feedback.

Nick, there is going to be some additional info added to the home page for main thread comments. If you read through TF's most recent blog posts over the last few days it has been discussed extensively.

As for the running list of comments across the site, at this point I'm not entirely sure. I discussed with Craig, and his first reaction was he didn't know it existed. He does not consider it a high priority, and I think if you're looking to see how active the forums are, there are some other ways we can accomplish that other than just a running list of comments.

We've got a list of things we'll be working on in the coming days, and items like this will certainly be open for further review.

Thanks for taking time to post.

Thu, Oct 25, 2018 - 10:53pm
HappyNow
-
Canada

I was talking to a designer

I was talking to a designer and apparently this is the style of the future. At least the near future.

Google has laid down some new rules, or should we call them ranking factors, whatever, for Search Engine Optimization. Serving mobile is preferred, but Accessibility is even bigger. This affects not only font and contrast but also navigation.

Google can and does influence website design by manipulating ranking factors.

Also thanks Ron for the cookie-clearing advice.

Fri, Oct 26, 2018 - 12:38am TF Metals Admin
Nick Elway

Missing Comments tab

Thanks for your response.

I was wondering how Katie Rose was doing, and what I missed from Mr. Fix and Argentus and Marchas in the days I was away. In the old "Comments" tab I could put something in the search box and get a nice time-ordered list of all posts by my favorite authors. The search box now seems to only have a sampling of results from 2013 through 2015, with no way of arranging the results newest first or scrolling through them with some idea(preview) of what the comment was.

I miss the Comments tab.

Perhaps having the site search search the site would help.

I understand you put a lot of work into this new configuration, sorry to be a thorn.

Nick

Fri, Oct 26, 2018 - 1:32am

HappyNow, you're quite

HappyNow, you're quite correct. The designer has given an accurate state of things. The old TFMR was penalized by Google just for existing as it did. We can work to improve this and meet everyone's needs, but the longer the old site stayed around, the bigger of an impact on Craig's business.

Fri, Oct 26, 2018 - 1:35am

Nick, I do understand your

Nick, I do understand your thoughts. Give us a little time to get things in order and we will look into it.

The site search at the moment is focused on Craig's posts and not comments. Comment searching has to be handled through a slightly different approach.

Tue, Nov 6, 2018 - 3:45am
ggslv58
-
Eagle Vale NSW
Australia

now i cant acces vault articles

i can log in but have no subscription ...is this the new site or another issue card details have been updated no response from contact page

keep stacking
Tue, Nov 6, 2018 - 6:17am

You need to re-subscribe.

You need to re-subscribe. Adding a new card is great, but it is necessary to connect the card to a subscription.

Go here, select your option, fill in the form and then you'll have access again:

https://www.tfmetalsreport.com/subscribe

Wed, Nov 7, 2018 - 9:06pm
HappyNow
-
Canada

Nice to see some colour

Nice to see some colour around the place

Thu, Nov 8, 2018 - 5:32pm HappyNow

HappyNow wrote:

HappyNow wrote:

Nice to see some colour around the place

Hey, as I said... the site is just a canvas and TF needs to decide how he wants to paint it.