IEA Announces Emergency Oil Stockpile Release; Oil Prices Drop

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Violent Rhetoric
Violent Rhetoric's picture
Hat Tips: 475
IEA Announces Emergency Oil Stockpile Release; Oil Prices Drop

From Bloomberg. So... what's the emergency? These guys long DUG and  DTO?

By Tara Patel and Grant Smith
     June 23 (Bloomberg) -- The International Energy Agency
announced that it will release 60 million barrels of oil from
emergency stockpiles.
     The IEA has coordinated the use of emergency stockpiles
twice since the agency was founded in 1974. The first occasion
was during the 1991 Persian Gulf War, and the second when
Hurricane Katrina damaged oil rigs and refineries in the Gulf of
Mexico in 2005.
Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 05:06

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as “bad luck.”
~ Robert Heinlein

Sterling
Sterling's picture
Hat Tips: 2826
That'll last us what? a

That'll last us what? a week?  maybe less?

Can I offer you a drink? How about this expensive prostitute?

HappyNow
HappyNow's picture
Hat Tips: 2386
Maybe they know

That Libya is going to <cough> capitulate <cough>

Swing trade indexed ETFs. Long physical gold, silver, and 1 miner.

bigmark99
bigmark99's picture
Hat Tips: 548
Damn Foolish

This is damn foolish, Barry looks desperate.

This is why business will not reinvest, they don't know what the Gov't will do next. no plan at all.

CYM
CYM's picture
Hat Tips: 1630
That's 1.5 days of US

That's 1.5 days of US consumption.

Worthy
Worthy's picture
Hat Tips: 3
... but don't you know how

... but don't you know how NEWS is made ... perception is reality -- even if the FACTS contradict what the reality SHOULD BE!

In a few days, this will be a non issue and 96 will be the resistance level that you have to watch -- will it be breached?

CYM
CYM's picture
Hat Tips: 1630
But, but... I thought Saudi

But, but... I thought Saudi Arabia had the spare capacity to cover this! :rolls eyes:

Marblesonac
Marblesonac's picture
Hat Tips: 2808
this sucks

Is this how they will fund our government?

humahuaca
humahuaca's picture
Hat Tips: 1030
it's 30 days of Libyan production

So my guess is they will draw down an equal amount each month until Libya is sorted out, or until oil reaches the $70-$80 range the Saudis said they are comfy with.

I still bought some oil here, as I don't think it will be a one way street, and might backfire if it doesn't have a lasting effect.

Violent Rhetoric
Violent Rhetoric's picture
Hat Tips: 475
They would never do this for

They would never do this for political reasons... would they? 

High oil prices and the resulting increase in the cost of gasoline have contributed to an economic slowdown and have put increased political pressure on Obama.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/obama-ready-to-release-oil-from-petroleum-reserve-to-offset-mideast-turmoil-high-energy-use/2011/06/23/AGvFEJhH_story.html

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as “bad luck.”
~ Robert Heinlein

UGrev
UGrev's picture
Hat Tips: 884
Yeah, that's is Bobo..

Yeah, that's is Bobo..  deplete our Reserves when it's not needed. This is not dire.. it's more in the "Really Really sucks" phase and 30mil will last us 1.5 days as we use 20mil a day. 1.5 days .. what an asshat this president is. 

We'd be wiser to stockpile more oil instead of hit the reserves.. 

No1Hunter
No1Hunter's picture
Hat Tips: 1324
So Obama shoots the US in its Foot

I was going to start a new thread on this but then found this one.  So, here is what I have to say:

Obama is at it again, rewarding the people who don’t save, who don’t have retirement plans, who don’t buy precious metals just to jump start his campaign.

As you are aware, all precious metals are taking a dump, along with the stock market and the price of oil.  Why, some may ask.  Well, in case you haven’t heard, he has announced they plan on releasing 60 million barrels of oil from the Strategic Reserves.  Why do it now when oil prices have been decreasing?  Well, it might drop the price of gas a little but it is sticking it to anyone who has money in the stock market, PM’s or 401k’s.  But the guy living off the Government will be able to drive around more.

Another great idea from Obama.  Destroy the productive and the saving people lives to help you make headlines like you are a Savior or something.  Like this is really good for the American people?  I hope we survive until 2012!

Here the rest of the story:

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-ticker/straight-jacket-time-dow-crude-tumble-obama-releases-163156859.html?sec=topStories&pos=main&asset=&ccode=

SushiSioux
SushiSioux's picture
Hat Tips: 2064
They have no freaking clue what they hell they are doing. Just

http://www.zerohedge.com/article/mike-krieger-widespread-panic

More than sad; however, this move makes me much more bullish on oil over the next two years than I was before.  First of all, the Saudi’s just said that they would increase production to 10 million barrels of day on their own (from 9.3 million b/d), effectively ending OPEC as an organization.  Because this didn’t do what the petulant children in charge wanted they resorted to this tactic.  First it was speculators.  Now it is supply and demand.  What is it really?  I’ll tell you what it is.  They have no freaking clue what they hell they are doing.  Just like The Bernank.

No1Hunter
No1Hunter's picture
Hat Tips: 1324
You guessed it!

"I’ll tell you what it is.  They have no freaking clue what they hell they are doing.  Just like The Bernank."

One hat to ya!!!

tmosley
tmosley's picture
Hat Tips: 14948
Hey, lower prices means you

Hey, lower prices means you can buy more with your paycheck.

Remember, this is all going...

I expected that something very similar to this would happen, and posted about it starting back in February.  Specifically, that we would soon enter a stage where volatility would increase, paper price would fall, and physical premiums would increase.  This has been accompanied by a decline in COMEX inventory and a rise in open interest.

This is literally a best case scenario for holders of physical.  

Don't get caught without it in the month of July.  There is a 50% chance of a COMEX implosion by the end of that month.  The chance increases with each passing delivery month after that.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "IEA Announces Emergency Oil Stockpile Release; Oil Prices Drop"