Politcs : The Decline and Fall of Western Civilization....By Design

185 posts / 0 new
Last post
ChaCha Mars
ChaCha Mars's picture
Hat Tips: 960
@Joseph Warren

Thank you, JW, for what you did as a volunteer!  Hope you'll find time again soon to reach out one-on-one again.  Even a half hour a week; our local public schools welcome adults on campus to read with problem readers on a drop-in basis.  

Imagine how wonderful things would be if we all reached out one-on-one! 

Somebody posted on the main site about "greed & gluttony."  We volunteers struggle to help these children while our retired teacher friends -- the ones with the skills who are collecting generous teacher retirement checks -- won't give up their play dates; most say they won't give away for free what they used to get paid for.   

For Boomers who still have time, energy and smarts to not step in now and do something as volunteers is at the crux of the issue.  Sad part is, the do-nothings are a pretty unhappy lot.  Giving of ourselves really is the way to happiness.  

Blessings to you and to all here trying to make things better.

benque
benque's picture
Hat Tips: 10719
Buy low, sell high

I'm thinkin of moving to Syria soon.  Just as soon as I see any signs of the chaos ending.  Pick up vast tracts of "once developed" urban rubble for a song, then sit back and watch land prices rise.

Plan B?  Oh yes, I'll bring my water wings so I can swim over to Greece if things don't pan out.  Grow a "jihad beard", and claim refugee status in Canada or USA.  Free food, medical, house.  Have a job handed to me.  Hey, whats not to like about either scenario?

NW VIEW
NW VIEW's picture
Hat Tips: 14583
Thinking to small benque?

Well, it is written that Damascus will be a pile of rubble and that place will never be rebuilt. A better plan is : We two buy an island in the Southern Pacific.  Declare it a nation and declare a war against the United States.  We will say we have nukes.  We then negotiate a peace treaty and begin receiving billions of tax free income from the US government.  We then begin to buy up all available gold and store it in our lake.   Now that is a plan.

NW VIEW

benque
benque's picture
Hat Tips: 10719
OK NW VIEW

Sounds like a plan!  I'm in.  Maybe we can just SAY we have an island, and have Uncle Sam send the money right to our "Embassys" (home addresses).

Another way would be to convince a few army guys to say we captured them, then get a few bil in ransom.

AlienEyes
AlienEyes's picture
Hat Tips: 23399
benque

"Hey, what's not to like about either scenario?"

Ahhh, being beheaded ?  surprise

sierra skier
sierra skier's picture
Hat Tips: 2534
ChaCha Mars wrote: Thank you,

ChaCha Mars wrote:

Thank you, JW, for what you did as a volunteer!  Hope you'll find time again soon to reach out one-on-one again.  Even a half hour a week; our local public schools welcome adults on campus to read with problem readers on a drop-in basis.  

Imagine how wonderful things would be if we all reached out one-on-one! 

Somebody posted on the main site about "greed & gluttony."  We volunteers struggle to help these children while our retired teacher friends -- the ones with the skills who are collecting generous teacher retirement checks -- won't give up their play dates; most say they won't give away for free what they used to get paid for.   

For Boomers who still have time, energy and smarts to not step in now and do something as volunteers is at the crux of the issue.  Sad part is, the do-nothings are a pretty unhappy lot.  Giving of ourselves really is the way to happiness.  

Blessings to you and to all here trying to make things better.

Give away for free what they used to get paid for????? They are still getting paid and with a likely 'very healthy retirement'. Why should they bother to try and fix what they created through their Common Core and previous dumbed down teaching guidelines. It is truly a shame our kids do not receive a true education but rather a PC pile of mind numbing trash.

We spent time (especially me) prepping our son for his Chico State education, warning him to listen to the lesson teachings but being aware of the liberal bend that would be pushed sid by side with the classroom learning within his Major. Due to my diligence he fared quite well and maintained his solid conservative upbringing and thanked us both for showing him the truth and giving him such a solid upbringing in such a wonderful neighborhood as the Eastern Sierra wonder land he was raised in.

Joseph Warren
Joseph Warren's picture
Hat Tips: 14328
@sierra skier

It sounds like you did a great job preparing your son.

I have a nephew who is in an Environmental Studies program. Yeah - I know - beware of any programs that have the word 'Studies' in the title. He enrolled in a program in a very liberal school (translation = 'Marxist'). But the kid has a good head on his shoulders & can think for himself. (Yes, I'm happy to have played some part in guiding him with that over the years.)  He took a year off from school and worked three jobs so he could earn enough to travel/live/work in central & south America completely on his own. He's far more mature than his peers. -  -

He's written papers and gotten a C, when other students did far less work and got As. The prof down graded him because he expressed conservative and libertarian ideas rather than parrot the leftist propaganda. My nephew went to the prof's office and asked him a number of questions on the reasoning behind the C. (This was done in a respectful but firm manner.)  Of course, the prof squirmed. The motivation was completely political & that was obvious. My nephew's grade was changed to an A.

sierra skier
sierra skier's picture
Thanks, we likely could have

Thanks, we likely could have done better when looking back but the compliments we get from friends about his courtesy and direction more than make up for any of my perceived shortcomings in doing things well. He continues to give us pride in the job we did and his interaction within the community we brought him up in. He was stoked when he got a Helicopter ride in and out with his last SAR call out and he is bow hunting deer right now.

He has solid values and was nearly trouble free during his upbringing. Heck, I'll bet he and Ruffian are close in age.

Joseph Warren
Joseph Warren's picture
@sierra skier

Well if your boy is in SAR and a bowhunter there's a couple more pluses in his favor !

I'm involved in both of those activities my self   wink

heyJoe
heyJoe's picture
Hat Tips: 1574
Illannoy, a Bellwether State

AE was correct regarding the majority of dumb ass people that live in this state.  The percentage gets larger because thousands have left and more are leaving everyday.  One benefit I have living here is getting an early view of what will happen nationally.  Illannoy does not have a currency printing press; and as of now, cannot prevent residents from leaving.  The fed has both, which allows them to continue to kick the can down the road.

We have all heard about the national pension problem we have (defined benefit plans).  Back in the 80s, our state leader decided to guarantee all state public pension plans.  Recently, the courts affirmed this guarantee.  One of these plans, the Teachers Retirement System (TRS), was in the news and is a perfect example of why these plans are in trouble.

The TRS pension is currently funded at 40%.  Part of the problems is the overstate assumed rate of return for this plan.  The current rate is 7.5%. (Note: In 2015,  I helped a company set up a DB plan and we used an assumed rate of 3%).  The TRS board decided to cut the rate to 7%.  The governor (GOP) and legislators (majority DEM) screamed bloody murder because it would have an impact on the budget.  That's very funny because we haven't had a budget in 2 years.  That tiny cut, which isn't close to what it should actually be, will immediately cost the state $500M.  Now these scumbags have 2 options, raise taxes or cut services.  Which one will they do?  Also, isn't there some other interest rate thing going on about some .25% rate increase that everyone is concerned about?

If the last paragraph isn't crazy enough for you, let's look at the benefits these retired teachers and administrators get.  Thousands of TRS retirees get annual 6 figure pensions.  A few years ago, I read a teachers' pension analysis for Illannoy and its adjoining states (WI, IA, MO, KY, IN).  In all those other states there was only ONE retiree getting over $100,000).  Let's take a look how the system is rigged to pay these higher benefits in Illannoy.

I have a childhood friend and his wife who both retired in their late 50's from the same high school.  Their current combined annual retirement income is $182,000 per year, with COLA.  This income is close to what their salaries were before they announced their retirement.  Well how how could that be?  When you decide to retire, you announce this 3-4 years before your actual retirement date.  As part of your union contract,  your salary starts increasing 15-20% per year until  your actual retirement.   Then the pension benefit is calculated as a percentage of the average salary for the last 3 years.  I asked my friends if they were concerned about the plan being underfunded and they told me it was guaranteed.  Again I asked what if the state goes bankrupt, and again they told me their benefits are guaranteed.  Again, cognitive dissonance (one of my favorite terms).

These types of scams go on in all the public pension plans and I am sure it is not unique to Illannoy.  The cancer in this state is just at a more advanced level.

Well, that felt good.  As I stated earlier,  I don't talk to anyone about this stuff anymore; however, it still pisses me off.  I read once that writing about items that bother you can be very therapeutic.  Living in this state and this being a political forum, I hope to offer myself a lot of therapy.

Finally, I have this framed and sitting on my kitchen counter so I see it everyday:

The Serenity Prayer

'Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.'

Ruffian
Ruffian's picture
Hat Tips: 11719
@SS

Wow a new thread while I was out. Coolies!!!! I'll have to catch up a bit later. 

No worries SS patience, persistence, positive reenforcement and kindness always produce good results. You are a gentleman and I have no doubt the apple is too! 

Btw I growed up on here hehehe. I'm 29 now. Few more years and I can quit lying about my age. I'm catching up to how old I told folks I was. I've been 34 for like 10 yrs now. 

Dr Jerome
Dr Jerome's picture
Hat Tips: 44106
real estate tax

Wow! those Illinois taxes are incredibly high. I'll stop complaining about $200 per month.  It sure makes RV life look more attractive. We are currently watching for a few acres with surface water, that we can build an RV garage, drill a well and install a septic. We have our eye on 160 acres with a large pond. Annual property tax is $90.  No improvements on it. Not quite ready to pull the trigger yet. We are currently trying to sell our remaining three rental properties, but if the market turns down this fall, perhaps the mortgage cash-out plan would be our last hope to keep our equity.

AlienEyes
AlienEyes's picture
German Bank's Refusal To Return Depositor's Gold

Note :

This is a repost of a piece I posted on the main page and am now having doubts about it being there for long.

A 'golden' opportunity ?

1) Take the cash and demand payment in USDs....with no currency conversion fees. After all, it is the bank's fault for refusing to return your gold. If they try and force you to take euros, they are exposing you to what will happen when the next EU member takes a hike.

2) Drive to Switzerland and purchase gold OTC while the price is down. Wait for a further rise in the USD against the euro before doing so. This will happen shortly because it is just one more way to suppress gold in USD terms.

3) Sue the German bank for any conversion fees incurred because they arbitrarily caused your financial loss through their own incompetence and willful breech of contract. In addition, they forced you to convert a 'hard' asset to a fiat asset, thereby negating your reason for investing in gold, against your will. Even if you lose, you can 'black their eye' in terms of PR and confidence in the bank....which they can ill afford considering their own financial condition. If allowed, ask the court to order the bank to purchase gold and return your property in kind. If available, ask for punitive damages. They have de facto destroyed your legal financial strategy and penalized you for having it in the first place.  

4) After you buy physical gold in Switzerland, leave it there in a safe deposit box or in a private storage facility.

Even if the law is on their side, they may well agree to a 'settlement' to avoid the 'bright light on a cockroach' situation they created with no concern to the investor/client. Said settlement would no doubt include a 'non-disclosure' clause for the banks protection.

Find 'PM friendly' websites in Germany, Europe and worldwide to present your case as a "this happened to me" example of you enemies' actions and why you no longer trust them to handle you banking needs. And above all, keep it absolutely factual.

Frankly, the euro is no more than a new German mark with a sheet over its head. Stay clear of it as much as possible. It is even sicker than the POS USD.

AE

(If deemed 'political' in nature and unsuitable for front page threads, please delete. I must admit, I am experiencing great difficulty as to whether this post is 'political', 'financial' or 'PM related' since it contains elements of all three. This is further exacerbated by my sincere belief that our number one problem is debt and I think we all know who is responsible for that even if some will deny it.)

DAMN I have a headache from hell. I hope it's not a Tooomor. sad

AlienEyes
AlienEyes's picture
Ruffian

Welcome !  smiley

I hope you will feel free to visit here often.

Your inclination to call a duck, a duck is most redressing and welcome here.  yes

AE

Joseph Warren
Joseph Warren's picture
Govt Salaries & Pensions

A few years back I went to the high school graduation ceremony of a young relative. There were speeches given by the h.s. principal and various school district officials. Each official was introduced with a brief bio mentioning their advanced 'Education' degrees. I wasn't impressed. I saw how poorly educated were the students from that school - - touted as 'one of the top ten rated public high schools in the state'.  Any brief web search of worldwide student performance will discover how poorly American kids do in comparison to children in other industrialized nations. This includes students from 'good' American schools.

The principal in that high school was paid a little more than $150,000 plus very generous benefits. This was several multiples of the average salary of people in the district. A huge rip off to that community that is repeated across the country.

Why would this be the case ?  For at least a couple of reasons IMO.  Teachers & other government workers provide a large voting block that support the current system out of self interest. Secondly, teachers fill a vital role for the establishment. They dumb down the next generation and propagandize them.  For this they are generously encouraged and rewarded.

I have recommended (and even given) John Taylor Gatto's book 'Underground History of American Education' to numerous public school teachers through the years. The book outlines how education was targeted and taken over by powerful, monied interests more than a century ago. Not a single one of the teachers read it. They all made various excuses about being "too busy". (While on their 3 month summer break!)

"It's difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on him not understanding it."  - Upton Sinclair

Include 'self image, comfort, and sense of security' to 'salary' in the above quote - and you have a good explanation for why America is in its current state. Many would rather be told lies than face an uncomfortable truth. The price Will be paid for such cowardice.

Here's another quote by Upton Sinclair -

" I know that our liberties were not won without suffering, and may be lost again through our cowardice. "

LostMind
LostMind's picture
Hat Tips: 7745
The BITCH lies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! great video summary

sierra skier
sierra skier's picture
Ruffian wrote:Wow a new

Ruffian wrote:

Wow a new thread while I was out. Coolies!!!! I'll have to catch up a bit later. 

No worries SS patience, persistence, positive reenforcement and kindness always produce good results. You are a gentleman and I have no doubt the apple is too! 

Btw I growed up on here hehehe. I'm 29 now. Few more years and I can quit lying about my age. I'm catching up to how old I told folks I was. I've been 34 for like 10 yrs now. 

Thank you for the compliment.

You're getting younger all the time. (to the Beatles tune melody) You have my son beat by about a year.

I could always blame his result on my better half. I see ya had a snake,,, I found one right outside of he house a couple days ago. Not nearly as big though, a racer about 15" long and pencil size in diameter.

brokerk22
brokerk22's picture
Hat Tips: 4214
@Turd

If the BLSBS numbers come out to strong they will be looked at as a fraud.  Obviously the economy is in decline.  The miners are way oversold.  No way do I see gold and silver going sideways to down until September 21st (fed meeting).  With a manufactured good jobs number it would just make confidence erode even more.  Also the market or algos know there could be some very positive precious metal points out of the G 20 this weekend.  Maybe it gets smacked to $1260 or so (doubt it) but it aint staying there and we certainly arent treading water if the number is good for most of Septemeber.   I graciously disagree with your scenarios.

Ruffian
Ruffian's picture
@AE

Awww THX .... I shall and ur pretty cool too! :) 

AE a bad headache is more a sign of a stroke than a lump..... Get it looked at please if it continues. 

Ruffian
Ruffian's picture
@ss

That was the truth not a compliment! Well it was both really! 

Snakes are all over here but this year I've never seen so many! 

There is a cache of eastern copperheads in the bottom of an old sheep barn right at the end of my driveway. I leave them be and they leave me be. But I do warn people they have a strong odor of cucumbers - very strong. I smell that I start looking and every time there is one sunning on a rock. No, I'll not try to remove them that their barn now. 

I getting older,  but more childish too is all..... Hehehe 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Syndicate contentComments for "Politcs : The Decline and Fall of Western Civilization....By Design"