Survival Guide

99 posts / 0 new
Last post
Wy So Lo
Wy So Lo's picture
Hat Tips: 1808
Hemi

Any improvement toward pro touring rig is good, unless of course you have a reason for pure restoration. The simple replacement of the 13" wheels to 14" radial ply wheels on an EH holden changes its personality like wow. To some that is not an option, because it deviates too far from standard spec.

atarangi
atarangi's picture
Hat Tips: 22503

Nice to see the old horse avatar back on Ruffians post. Some times you just have to go with the flow.

I couldn't help noticing that Wy So Lo has yet to find a personalised avatar. Maybe one of these could foot the bill.

50bcd846afa96f5abe000963.gif?w=550&h=309Best-Dance-Ever-Arms.gif1n8zR.gifhover_hand_best_ever.gif

In high tide fish eat the ants, in low tide ants eat the fish. - Thai proverb

Wy So Lo
Wy So Lo's picture
Hat Tips: 1808
They are all good

Too many choices though,. 

atarangi
atarangi's picture
FROG TALK

A grandson runs up to his grandfather and asks him if he can talk like a frog.

“Of course not,” says the grandfather. A few minutes later, his granddaughter asks him the same question.

“No, of course not. Why are you both asking me this?”

The granddaughter replies, “Dad said that when you croak, we can go to Disneyland.”

Ruffian
Ruffian's picture
Hat Tips: 18227
Ok folks effecting the source

Time to stop thinking and talking and start doing.

im going to go ahead and build a prototype home and I need some great plans. I'm asking ya'll to help with idea and make a final choice. From my research it appears u kiwis and ozzies are light years ahead with original ideas and designs. So I'm asking if u have any more detailed sites or people I can contact. 

The one good thing I have going for me is the EPA can't fuck with me cuz I own the water source. It originates on my land. I've hired an engineer to select sites for that water delivery without effecting the source or divert the natural flow and create a swamp. 

Im sure mistakes will be made and things forgot but I gotta start if I'm going to get anywhere. Keep in mind this isn't an enviromental project. However, some of their ideas are solid but my purpose remains self sufficiency as much as possible,,, 

so idea folks plz 

atarangi
atarangi's picture
Ruff

I have designed and built two houses of the small self sufficiency type. My favourite claddings are corrugated iron (unpainted) and Canadian cedar. I use double glazed aluminium for windows and doors.

I pre - cut all timber framing, mark and assemble it all myself. It is not difficult to build a house if it is meticulously planned and simply designed.

If you can give me an idea of budget, size, features, building materials etc. I will have a look at it.

Are you going to build it yourself with help from a friend, hire a builder or maybe go for a kitset barn type house?

atarangi
atarangi's picture
cedar, glass and iron

X2431-1024x682-1-750x625.jpg

Ruffian
Ruffian's picture
@atarangicompletely.

very impressive! 

I don't know where to begin to be honest.  As for materials I'm struggling with that as well as there are some synthetics on the market that appear to be quite remarkable. 

I was thinking corrugated steel as the weather here is extreme. The summers are brutally hot and humid, as like today with violent storms. The winters are the opposite with temps often below zero, constant snowfall along with major accumulations of several feet that can occur at anytime. I've noticed we seem to have lost spring and fall almost completely. 

I do want these on the smaller side, maximum of about 75o sq feet or smaller. While budget isn't a main concern. I'd certainly like to keep it cheap as its an experiment.  I kinda envision having to redo it and would like to recycle the materials if another attempt is needed. 

Labour will be as needed. I can do a lot of stuff. I can rip boards and I learned after shooting myself with a nail gun to be cautious with them, I'm comfortable using one now. Even so subcontracted out the majority of labour would be wiser and quicker. 

Im not against kits either. The good thing is I'm close with a local logger who runs his own mill. I ran his boom truck that can work like a crane. Although he expressly forbid taking me logging no matter matter how much I pled. He said its very dangerous, so I never went logging actually. I put up the majority of fencing from timber sawed at his mill. It's mainly, oak, poplar,maple and hickory locally, locust has been blighted for decades. 

I did build on to my barn years ago but that was easy cuz I knew exactly how it needed to be with ventilation i.e. Cupola .... That turned out fantastic. Sliding doors on the inside and swinging ones on outside. 

As you can see I have no efffn idea what I'm doing but doing nothing isn't an option. 

Ruffian
Ruffian's picture
Ata

One more thing... One of my biggest expenses is going to be hardware, as I plan on using a many pulleys and levers to change sections easily to open and close areas for multipurpose. I'm going green not cuz I'm a greenie but cuz my major fear has always been loss of power. I find that modern conveniences being a necessity not a luxury. i.e. Conditioning not a roomba. Plenty of ways to generate heat. 

Also working with metals condensation is always a problem. Especially here cuz once completed I'm going to at least partially bury this sucker if possible.  Then ideally I'd like to connect one  structure to another via walkways most likely glass to use the ambient light which is precious in winter months. 

Yeah, yeah, I know I'm a nutter. I shoulda kidnapped why so lo. I'm worried about him 

atarangi
atarangi's picture
Ruff

Wy So and myself have e-mail contact. If you want to kidnap him I can arrange it.

He said "that should be good but only if she wants me for my body".

Personally I would never trust an Aussie, but that's just my opinion.

I have been wrong before.

I am still backing Trump though, I think he really will make America great again.

Ruffian
Ruffian's picture
Ata

I'm pleased to know he has left a life line. 

Of course I want his body. If he can still swing a hammer ask him to send GPS coordinates!!!!

edit: one of the most remarkable things about Arabs was that their hatred used to be directed toward our goverment. They understood we were as helpless against our goverment as they were theirs, they hated ours cuz it supported and propped up theirs. 

Everyday Americans make America great as every day kiwis make NZ great. We just had a big bonus of being the children of men of great vision and wisdom who valued Liberty above all else. 

Ruffian
Ruffian's picture
13 hours without power

nightmare! 

I have two generators and it was still awful. It's always been my biggest fear but I'm glad it happened cuz it certainly showed me how inadequately I'm prepared. 

No internet was the least of my difficulties. However, I did notice we need to be prepared for an 11% rate increase very soon. That's a nice chunk of change for someone like me who uses a lot of it. Troubling is for folks on fixed or low incomes barely making it now.  

Fuck Obama and the elitist cabal .... This is their doing 

sierra skier
sierra skier's picture
Hat Tips: 3019
Backup Power System

Power is one of the short comings we have at the new home and when I build the shop I would like to incorporate a stand alone solar system of sufficient size to run our refrigerator, freezer, some lighting and when necessary the geothermal heat pump heating/cooling system. Even if I had to disconnect the freezer and fridge for several hours at a time we would need the heating during the winter, but will have a wood burner and wood in the next year if not sooner.

question
question's picture
Hat Tips: 3403
@sierra skier, Ruffian

sierra skier, you've probably heard of these but if not they seem the best way to heat especially if they can be built in rather than retrofitted.

http://www.ernieanderica.info/rocketstoves

https://richsoil.com/rocket-stove-mass-heater.jsp

Ruffian; you got water you got it all; have fun with the dwelling adventure. Insulate well, back up w/solar, wind; keep us updated pls

Learn to behave

sierra skier
sierra skier's picture
Hat Tips: 3019
Thanks question, I will

Thanks question, I will definitely study these links up better when I have the time. It would be easy to build one into the new shop from the looks of them.

Magpie
Magpie's picture
Hat Tips: 12114
@Ruffian

One thing you may want to take into consideration with your structure...the cheapest build will be achieved with a square footprint.  It will take less linear footage of foundation and siding than a rectangle.  28' x 28' will put you just a bit over your 750 square feet.  Those dimensions work well with 4' sheathing....no waste.  A hip roof is more complicated to construct, but it's the best choice for extreme weather...it's the strongest roof you can build. 

Your winter weather sounds fairly severe, which means a foundation will likely cost you a boatload....take a look at Insulated Concrete Forms (ICF foundations).

If you have a site selected you should find out which direction your  solar south is located, and work with a design to maximize the exposure.

http://www.solar-noon.com/

ancaro imparo.

Ruffian
Ruffian's picture
Thx everyone!

Excellent comments and ideas.... 

Magpie for this build I'm using concrete n rebar pylons sorta like they do for bridges...drilling right into the bedrock. If I fail I'll convert it into another outbuilding/barn so it's not completely waisted. 

my house is built on angle with most the Windows on one side. It drove me nuts cuz it looks so weird.  The brilliance and forethought the original builders put into it is remarkable. The Windows are the original solar power. Even the ventilation design was brilliant. They knew exactly what they were doing in selecting the site and angles. 

Ruffian
Ruffian's picture
SS & Q

heating is very little concern to me. I've an abundance of heavily woods and better yet... Coal....literally hundreds of abandoned mines in these parts. 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Syndicate contentComments for "Survival Guide"