Survival Guide

99 posts / 0 new
Last post
Thu, Jun 30, 2016 - 11:00pm (Reply to #81)
Wy So Lo
-
OZ SA
Australia

Hemi

Any improvement toward pro touring rig is good, unless of course you have a reason for pure restoration. The simple replacement of the 13" wheels to 14" radial ply wheels on an EH holden changes its personality like wow. To some that is not an option, because it deviates too far from standard spec.

Fri, Jul 1, 2016 - 4:34am
atarangi
-
christchurch
New Zealand

Nice to see the old horse avatar back on Ruffians post. Some times you just have to go with the flow.

I couldn't help noticing that Wy So Lo has yet to find a personalised avatar. Maybe one of these could foot the bill.

In high tide fish eat the ants, in low tide ants eat the fish. - Thai proverb
Fri, Jul 1, 2016 - 5:18am
Wy So Lo
-
OZ SA
Australia

They are all good

Too many choices though,. 

Fri, Jul 1, 2016 - 7:54am
atarangi
-
christchurch
New Zealand

FROG TALK

A grandson runs up to his grandfather and asks him if he can talk like a frog.

“Of course not,” says the grandfather. A few minutes later, his granddaughter asks him the same question.

“No, of course not. Why are you both asking me this?”

The granddaughter replies, “Dad said that when you croak, we can go to Disneyland.”

Sun, Jul 17, 2016 - 1:30am
Anonymous

Removed comment

Removed comment.

Fri, Jul 22, 2016 - 11:09pm
atarangi
-
christchurch
New Zealand

Ruff

I have designed and built two houses of the small self sufficiency type. My favourite claddings are corrugated iron (unpainted) and Canadian cedar. I use double glazed aluminium for windows and doors.

I pre - cut all timber framing, mark and assemble it all myself. It is not difficult to build a house if it is meticulously planned and simply designed.

If you can give me an idea of budget, size, features, building materials etc. I will have a look at it.

Are you going to build it yourself with help from a friend, hire a builder or maybe go for a kitset barn type house?

Sun, Jul 24, 2016 - 1:23am
atarangi
-
christchurch
New Zealand

cedar, glass and iron

Mon, Jul 25, 2016 - 4:25am (Reply to #87)
Anonymous

Removed comment

Removed comment.

Tue, Jul 26, 2016 - 5:18am
Anonymous

Removed comment

Removed comment.

Tue, Jul 26, 2016 - 6:51am
atarangi
-
christchurch
New Zealand

Ruff

Wy So and myself have e-mail contact. If you want to kidnap him I can arrange it.

He said "that should be good but only if she wants me for my body".

Personally I would never trust an Aussie, but that's just my opinion.

I have been wrong before.

I am still backing Trump though, I think he really will make America great again.

Wed, Jul 27, 2016 - 10:09am (Reply to #91)
Anonymous

Removed comment

Removed comment.

Mon, Aug 1, 2016 - 11:24am
Anonymous

Removed comment

Removed comment.

Mon, Aug 1, 2016 - 11:57am
sierra skier
-
ID

Backup Power System

Power is one of the short comings we have at the new home and when I build the shop I would like to incorporate a stand alone solar system of sufficient size to run our refrigerator, freezer, some lighting and when necessary the geothermal heat pump heating/cooling system. Even if I had to disconnect the freezer and fridge for several hours at a time we would need the heating during the winter, but will have a wood burner and wood in the next year if not sooner.

Sat, Aug 6, 2016 - 10:44am
question
-
CA

@sierra skier, Ruffian

sierra skier, you've probably heard of these but if not they seem the best way to heat especially if they can be built in rather than retrofitted.

https://www.ernieanderica.info/rocketstoves

https://richsoil.com/rocket-stove-mass-heater.jsp

Ruffian; you got water you got it all; have fun with the dwelling adventure. Insulate well, back up w/solar, wind; keep us updated pls

Learn to behave
Sat, Aug 6, 2016 - 11:10am
sierra skier
-
ID

Thanks question, I will

Thanks question, I will definitely study these links up better when I have the time. It would be easy to build one into the new shop from the looks of them.

Sun, Aug 7, 2016 - 2:52am
Magpie

@Ruffian

One thing you may want to take into consideration with your structure...the cheapest build will be achieved with a square footprint. It will take less linear footage of foundation and siding than a rectangle. 28' x 28' will put you just a bit over your 750 square feet. Those dimensions work well with 4' sheathing....no waste. A hip roof is more complicated to construct, but it's the best choice for extreme weather...it's the strongest roof you can build. 

Your winter weather sounds fairly severe, which means a foundation will likely cost you a boatload....take a look at Insulated Concrete Forms (ICF foundations).

If you have a site selected you should find out which direction your solar south is located, and work with a design to maximize the exposure.

https://www.solar-noon.com/

ancaro imparo.
Tue, Aug 16, 2016 - 9:20pm
Anonymous

Removed comment

Removed comment.

Tue, Aug 16, 2016 - 9:49pm (Reply to #94)
Anonymous

Removed comment

Removed comment.

Notice: If you do not see your new comment immediately, do not be alarmed. We are currently refreshing new comments approximately every 2 minutes to better manage performance while working on other issues. Thank you for your patience.