Survival Guide

99 posts / 0 new
Last post
atarangi
atarangi's picture
Hat Tips: 22593
Bag of gold

Image result for bag of gold tf metals images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSi9DNpAb9VypcM1H6N__H For our dear friend Bag of Gold. 'long may she be with us'.EHlV0TP.png

In high tide fish eat the ants, in low tide ants eat the fish. - Thai proverb

Ruffian
Ruffian's picture
Hat Tips: 19119
Ata

That's fantastic cuz it's as illegal as hell over here. I pick mine up at an off the main road petrol station that looks like it's from the 50s in Kentucky. I fill up and put my order in and pick it up on the way back. Drinking it straight is the only way to enjoy it. And I must say KY has some of the finest. I'm sure the commericial distillers have everything to do with it being illegal. 

Ruffian
Ruffian's picture
Magpie

Your a gem. 

Ruffian
Ruffian's picture
Ata

That's exactly what I look like when 1200lbs of horse flesh steps on my toes. 

atarangi
atarangi's picture
Ruff's horse riding basics

Rule no.1

Don't stand on a bucket when mounting the horse -

funny fail gif getting on a horse

Ruffian
Ruffian's picture
@atarangi

lmao that's not a horse it's a pony.. Impossible that's a native kiwi doing something so comical and stupid!!! 

And  just FYI I have used a bucket just like that before;  to get into a jacked up suspension pickup for mudding without a step.  I can jump up on one that small. most the ones I ride I can barely see over their backs ... I'll take a leg up. 

That was a good one hehe

just till ya see what I've been working on for over ten years..., closer to completion..every week... 

sierra skier
sierra skier's picture
Hat Tips: 3169
Can't wait to see it. My wife

Can't wait to see it. My wife needs a leg up on hers as well and would have it no other way.

Ruffian
Ruffian's picture
@ss

Approx 425 horses right now. My dad got this I reckon early 70s for pennies on the dollar and the oil embargo hit. So it was parked in a barn for decades where all kinds of rodents ate the wiring harnesses... Amoung other things

Then me and a few of my best pals decided to rip it down completely and actually it's taken about 13 years of swap meets, eBay, junk yards, trades etc to get it back to this point. But when engine came back and started for the first time in 40 years it was like a new Baby being born.

When it's done I'll return the original hurst shifter and horn to it. I've been using on other vehicles over the years.... MOPAR baby! Almost all original with two after market quarter panels.

Wy So Lo
Wy So Lo's picture
Hat Tips: 1808
Sweet. I have a soft spot for big hemi's never owned any.

I parked up my HR Premier for almost exactly ten years. Fuelled it up, give it a few cranks to get the fuel through the lines and it hit all six almost instantly. i was very surprised. 

sierra skier
sierra skier's picture
My wife's dad was always a

My wife's dad was always a hot rodder and had a 1964 426 Plymouth Sport Fury that the kids used to hot rod on the strip (Hollywood) when they were growing up.They were fun cars. We had a 1964 1/2 Mustang convertible with a factory high performance 289 with 235 horsepower which I took my driver license test in.

Those were great days for sure.

Ruffian
Ruffian's picture
Ways so lo & SS

Actually it was mad max that got me into muscle cars. Hey, hey good for u knowing what it is. Not many folks have seen one. 

My dad told me when I was older we would get this one running again. Only thing is he didn't get older with me. Other than his watch and cuff links I have nothing of him. Not even a lot of pics as digital cameras were a few years off. 

So its corny but it's been an act of love to bring it back. Don't think I did this on my own cuz a lot was pro done. Although I did a lot of sanding and fine detail interior paint work. Plus the the original owner had done modications and those panels were body putty, tried to repair them but it wasn't worth it so ended up tossing them, 

The only good thing is no electronics which makes it easy to fix and tinker with. No efffn computers to mess with. Bad thing is very inadequate braking system and steering, I'm pretty sure I'll never be able to drive this on the road. Only a pro driver can really safely handle this car.

the engine isn't in. We started it outside and it was lovely hearing that blip, blip of the hemi. It's in the main garage to pop it in,  I'm sure that's going to be a nightmare bolting it and the tranny back. 

@ SS that sounds like massive fun but there are no straight always here. It's hills and curves. There are so few of these cuz they ended up wrapped around trees.  

Factually, it's the stupidest thing I've done. I'll see it thru but after it's done I have no idea what to do with it. I was going to make some modicatificafions but decided not to. I'll even go to original paint color. Thankfully, I met a lot of gear heads who put a lot of their time into this. 

If I was smart I'd take pics to keep and sell it. But I'm not smart so I dunno. I will haul it to a local drag strip just to drive it where I don't have to worry about killing myself or wrecking it before I decide anything,  I reckon it's a year away but it was nice getting the engine back for Father's Day, 

ThoseFurys were hot. The state police used them in this state. The mustang is MY favorite small block muscle car. I'm fascinated with 60-70s everything, Jays says good thing I never went to Woodstock cuz I still wouldn't be back. Hehehe 

edit: for our non car folks. This is a late year 4 speed manual 1968 Plymouth road runner with the optional hemi. It was an xtra 700bucks. A nice chunk of change when a brand new VW was about $600.  Worth every penny tho! 

BIGNASTY
BIGNASTY's picture
Hat Tips: 4044
Ruff Sweet Ride................................................

You will have tons of fun with your ride not too difficult to upgrade the brakes and suspensions. Now days you can buy high quality bolt on kits for brakes and suspension components that will make it easier to tame and enjoy.

I spent a lot of blood sweat and tears modifying, racing blowing up many a 68-69 dart, 70 challengers and cudas. Never built a hemi a few 426 wedges a lot of 340's and 440's but never stepped up to the big bucks. As cost soared to stay competitive in racing I gave it up.  Figure I got one project left if TBTB allow just gotta find that diamond in the rough.

Thanks for sharing, great cars with great stories are a thing of beauty.

Ruffian
Ruffian's picture
THX BN

Dear lord u blew up a challenger *cringes*!!!! I love them. Looked at the new ones and they are ok but they don't compare. 

Challenger would probably be the only one I'd be willing to tackle.  Tell ya one thing, I became a damn good welder over the years. Had to cut out almost all the early attempts. The frame went to a shop to be mig welded to be reinforced. 

Oh this one is definitely getting a braking upgrade. It's not hard to understand why so many wrecked. This last weld must be perfect so exhaust doesn't fill the car on burn outs...  People are like aren't u worried about gas price, I'm like hell no, it's the tires that will get me.  Your right tho it's another sport/activity that has gotten so expensive.  People tell me at one time every kid had one in the driveway back then they tinkered on. 

There are lots of nifty kits ... I'm not sure yet how much I wanna change the original integrity of the car tho. I have time to decide tho

hey maybe we can race eh? 

sierra skier
sierra skier's picture
Sweet Ruff, I know you will

Sweet Ruff, I know you will enjoy that car with your dad riding as copilot. Just don't wrap him and it around those trees cause you might really pi$$ him off.

You are right about the fuel compared to the tires. If you play hard with it tires just will not last for long. The suspension and breaks are weak spots compared to the rest of the drive train in those older cars.

Wy So Lo
Wy So Lo's picture
Ruff

You mention VW , steering , brakeing, and corny.  Not corny at all.    Most old holdens that i owned wouldnt steer, too much flex everywhwere. The HR has PA drums, so the pedal is deadly. My favorite drive was a VW fastback type 3 and it had a 4.4L leyland all alloy v8 in the back, and was fully registered in Victoria. It was the second fastest car up to 120mph, in my town. It would go faster but i never had the balls, it simply had NO feel in the steer, so it felt like you were doing a mono. And yes it did wheelstand. It was my daily ride, and i never had a down moment driving it. It looked totally standard apart from the widend rims, so it had the ultimate sleeper value. I had a run against a 351 gtho ford, poor bugger had no idea when i said to him at the lights,"your about to be burned off by a volkswagen". Good times, no they were great times.

atarangi
atarangi's picture
ha great comments

You caught me snoozing. Thanks everyone!

atarangi
atarangi's picture
Darwin time

my favorite is still the guy who tore his nuts off in the golfball washer...

1. When his 38 - caliber revolver failed to fire at his intended victim during a hold-up in Long Beach, California, would-be robber James Elliot did something that can only inspire wonder. He peered down the barrel and tried the trigg er again. This time it worked.

And now, the Honorable Mentions:

2. The chef at a hotel in Switzerland lost a finger in a meat-cutting machine and submitted a claim to his insurance company. The company expecting negligence sent out one of its men to have a look for himself. He tried the machine and he also lost a finger. The chef's claim was approved.

3. A man who shoveled snow for an hour to clear a space for his car during a blizzard in Chicago returned with his vehicle to find a woman had taken the space...understandably, he shot her.

4. After stopping for drinks at an illegal bar, a Zimbabwean bus driver found that the 20 mental patients he was supposed to be transporting from Harare to Bulawayo had escaped. Not wanting to admit his incompetence, the driver went to a nearby bus stop and offered everyone waiting there a free ride. He then delivered the passengers to the mental ho spital, telling the staff that the patients were very excitable and prone to bizarre fantasies. The deception wasn't discovered for 3 days.

5. An American teenager was in the hospital recovering from serious head wounds received from an oncoming train. When asked how he received the injuries, the lad told police that he was simply trying to see how close he could get his head to a moving train before he was hit.

6. A man walked into a Louisiana Circle-K, put a $20 bill on the counter, and asked for change. When the clerk opened the cash drawer, the man pulled a gun and asked for all the cash in the register, which the clerk promptly provided. The man took the cash from the clerk and fled, leaving the $20 bill on the counter. The total amount of cash he got from the drawer: $15.

(If someone points a gun at you and gives you money, is a crime committed?)

7. Seems an Arkansas guy wanted some beer pretty badly. He decided that he'd just throw a cinder block through a liquor store window, grab some booze, and run. So he lifted the ci nder block and heaved it over his head at the window. The cinder block bounced back and hit the he would-be thief on the head, knocking him unconscious. The liquor store window was made of Plexiglas. The whole event was caught on videotape.

8. As a female shopper exited a New York convenience store, a man grabbed her purse and ran. The clerk called 911 immediately, and the woman was able to give them a detailed description of the snatcher. Within minutes, the police apprehended the purse-snatcher. They put him in the car and drove back to the store. The thief was then taken out of the car and told to stand there for a positive ID. To which he replied, "Yes, officer, that's her. That's the lady I stole the purse from."

9. The Ann Arbor News crime column reported that a man walked into a Burger King in Ypsilanti, Michigan at 5 am, flashed a gun, and demanded cash. The clerk turned him down because he said he couldn't open the cash register without a food order. When th e man ordered onion rings, the clerk said they weren't available for breakfast. The man, frustrated, walked away.

** **** A 5-STAR STUPIDITY AWARD WINNER*****

10. When a man attempted to siphon gasoline from a motor home parked on a Seattle street, he got much more than he bargained for. Police arrived at the scene to find a very sick man curled up next to a motor home near spilled sewage. A police spokesman said that the man admitted to trying to steal gasoline and plugged his siphon hose into the motor home's sewage tank by mistake. The owner of the vehicle declined to press charges, saying that it was the best laugh he'd ever had.

Wy So Lo
Wy So Lo's picture
Then

Theres the guy who went in to the bank and said i have a U49 in my pocket, give me all your cash. She complied, and when she asked why the detectives interviewing her were smiling, they told her that a U49 was an unemployment form.

atarangi
atarangi's picture
light magic zoetrope

Ruffian
Ruffian's picture
THX all

@SS my dad is still my wingman. Even so I'm putting that puppy on a trailer. I already know it's punchy and the weight distribution being what it is. I have no doubt the backend is gonna slide out a few times before I get the clutch right. 

@why ur right they were great times and there is no doubt I was born in the wrong time frame. The cosmos fucked up. Seriously thx for the kind words. Sometimes when I'm working on it and it's not going well I feel like the kids that wore his hat around for quite awhile. 

@BN n why what ya guys think of adding rear stabilizers? 

Oh and btw I've been doing tactical training in WVA. I think I'm getting kicked out already tho. I didn't go to be in boot camp like stuff. Think I might be better off doing a personal trainer thing. I don't play well with others. 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Syndicate contentComments for "Survival Guide"