Preps for key derby preps

45 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ruffian
Ruffian's picture
Hat Tips: 12438
Preps for key derby preps

Ok yeah it's early... Really early but people wanna bet those very foolish future derby pools,....

So my thoughts are as usual there are at least 30 who deserve to be looked at. Maybe three will be around still first Saturday in May.

However, as I thought the powers to be ruin everything and they ruined the derby already. They switched to point system from a cash earned system to get in. This was to produce a triple crown winner and it did. It also produced sluggish boring races with no speed and route runners. Cali chrome would have been the ultimate Cinderella story and it almost happened if he hadn't had his hind foot taken off when the Belmont happened. American pharaoh was aesthetically the best moving horse I've ever seen but is he the best? Who knows, we never will. Thank wall st for killing another American tradition, I've lost my fever for the derby .,,

Yet it's being run and this year it's not runner up frosted but moyahem, same owner, same trainer, same sire but better horse overall. He's week kneed but he killed it yesterday in the holy bull against 3 other top contenders. He can stretch it out too and he's now undefeated. So to the top he goes after demolishing green point crusader and big e conquest.

However, I'm of the opinion that no derby horse should be on the track yet. Last years champ Nyquist will be starting in 2 weeks too. Yet, the holy bull was for 350k and only six horses entered????? WTF is with that. Same crap we saw last year. We race for points now instead of $$$$.

I'm still strong on baffert so lightly raced drefrong. He's tearing up the training track instead of making money. I don't know if baffert will have enough time to get him ready. The best 3 yr old in the country is an amazing filly named songbird but she won't get a chance cuz she's not running for points. Admittedly her owner is rightly gun shy cuz he owned the ill fated filly 8 belles who was 2nd to big brown and was euthanized on the track that derby year. Even so the mares have simply been more competitive and new system keeps them out,

Oh and my other early pick, black ops he's done. What idiots - they enter him early January ...

One thing I'm certain of it wont be 37 years before we see another triple crown winner and if this newest son of tapir holds up he could be it.... Same style.... Really good looking, stretches out nicely and main competition might be from Japan ,,lani another tapit and another much better Meydan horse blue creek who will hook up in a few weeks over there....

It's racing so it changes from day to day... But if ur inclined to floodlishly play future pools those are my calls this week, this year it's just outta habit for me, I really hate set ups....

Just FYI Moyaham is Arabic for protector

Ruffian
Ruffian's picture
Smokeys image

All the attention is on the Donn for older horses. It's kinda how they will evaluate for the upcoming 10mil Dubai Classic in a few weeks.

Gave me a chance to watch a very very fast poorly bred and undefeated Smokeys imagine from California that is on a lot of folks radar. He's wicked fast but poorly bred. So what so was cal chrome. but I was horrified to see how poorly conformed this horse was. He's hard to evaluate cuz he has such a poor gate and it causes him to race erratically. It has breakdown written all over him. Then again, we remember the legendary sea biscuit who couldn't have had worse conformation. Even so I don't like to see a horse like this on the track. But he is wicked fast ...

Baffert has some 35 horses nominated. Drefrong remains my favorite but I have no idea where and when he will start him without a direct confrontation with his more advanced contenders like mor spirit.

Very wisely the connections of cherry wine pulled him from the holly bull against three top contenders with the top of everyone's list winning moyahem in there. Have to wait and see where he starts at but he's on my future list. Same with Brody ps cause who I admit along with his ability, his breeding is amazing. Derby capping is half about pedigree anyway. And he's out of giants causeway .. Who's stud fee is an 150k ..,

Little feel good story about cherry wines great grandmas tail female family line. She lost her sight to a degenerative eye disease. So instead of a buddy mare she had a llama for field company. Even so she was a very successful broodmare who learned to get around by placing her head on her handlers shoulder and follow them to the field by touch only. Her offspring inherited her courage and wits and 8 of 11 raced successfully. I'm happy to see her genes back at the top again! Maybe I'm a bit biased here cuz of that.

Cuz I was asked. Eight belles the filly that broke down in the derby was out of unbridled song mare. He produced very fast horses like her but he also produced weak bones. I believe wholeheartedly her weak bones couldn't carry her speed and that's why she broke down not cuz she was a filly. The underlying pathology was the villain.

Also barbaro was different. If he had been scratched when he broke thru the gate at the Preakness he would most likely be munching grass today. Rear leg breaks are almost unheard of. Any other race and he would have been scratched like mine was a few weeks back. Also, although it seemed heroic. He should have been euthanized. That horse went thru agony only to end the only way it was gonna end.

I wanna get a better peek at a man o war line colt before I write about him, I'm tickled, as his line is essentially dead. It's the female family lines who survive. The male lines are fragile for many reasons, so I'm happy that the first big red is still around in very limited quantity.

Just my opinion but they all look like they have potential this time of year. Watch for the improving horses.

Lastly spare me about racing them, they want to run, it's hard for the one that love it to quit, the magnificent Seattle slew may have not had a breeding career cuz of his love of running, when he retired he had no interest in breeding mares. In fact they had to put him back in quasi training and ease him into breeding. He would have rather chased horses than breed at first.

Ruffian
Ruffian's picture
Songbird

Best 3yr old in the country won by 10l with her reinsmans standing up in the irons the entire race to keep her under control.
Yes that's a HER. She's not in contention racing for points,

Really sad cuz she is so much the best ... Also a major reason why I hating Churchill inc and the point system, oh and I believe she set a track record too. She crossed the finish at barely a jog ....

Ruffian
Ruffian's picture
Small update

Derby horses are popping up everywhere...

Moyahem remains at the top of the leader board but last yrs 2yr old champ Nyquist remains undefeated. He ran a blistering 7f but it's only one turn. Also Smokeys image ran a bullet workout in CA. I like seeing horses prep with a sprint, I don't like seeing a derby horse working bullets as fast as he did.

Baffert has a bunch that are hard to track cuz he has them under assistant trainers names for now. My fav of his drefong missed a wrkoit due to a fever. His mor spirit won but not convincingly. The pic will clear more in the few weeks when they bump up in class to graded stakes and a few go at each other. Remember we aren't worried about winning now. We are looking for speed figures that are going up even if they lose. It's darn near impossible to keep a horse in tip top shape from now until the beginning of May so anyone tossing high 3 digit figure is likely to bounce come May.

Also keep in mind that the new system pretty much has eliminated all pure speed horses from contention. There will never be a new time record set. It also is unkind to route runners. So keep your eyes on the stalkers and pressers. The ones that can gallop forever and rate.

Blue creek lost an 8f in Meydan. Not sure why he ran such a crappy race but he's off form for sure. He has a meetup in March with the Japanese horse Hani that will show if he bled or was sick or just a clunker. Whatever, he showed none of his previous brilliance but it's too soon to toss him completely.

Also smokey image the crooked gained horse is definitely on the improve. He could be another Cali chrome based entirely off his sustained speed figures. He needs to jump in class big time tho.

Aroeforce and Brody's cause are two others on my list but no news yet. It's a bit hard with the field being over 300 right now to keep up. Which is why churchills 2nd future derby pool closed with "other" being the chalk (favorite).

Also I gotta admit, the point system has kinda ruined the race for me. They could move this to the turf and it wouldn't make a difference IMO only.

Lastly wanted to sale the winter sale was a disaster on all levels. The only people buying were once again the South Koreans. There were bargains galore but they weren't selling, indicating that a lot more people than me think bad times are ahead. Which of course why I wasn't there. I find theses sales tell me more about the overall economy than any other charts. They are undoubtably related.

Ruffian
Ruffian's picture
Small update

Derby horses are popping up everywhere...

Moyahem remains at the top of the leader board but last yrs 2yr old champ Nyquist remains undefeated. He ran a blistering 7f but it's only one turn. Also Smokeys image ran a bullet workout in CA. I like seeing horses prep with a sprint, I don't like seeing a derby horse working bullets as fast as he did.

Baffert has a bunch that are hard to track cuz he has them under assistant trainers names for now. My fav of his drefong missed a wrkoit due to a fever. His mor spirit won but not convincingly. The pic will clear more in the few weeks when they bump up in class to graded stakes and a few go at each other. Remember we aren't worried about winning now. We are looking for speed figures that are going up even if they lose. It's darn near impossible to keep a horse in tip top shape from now until the beginning of May so anyone tossing high 3 digit figure is likely to bounce come May.

Also keep in mind that the new system pretty much has eliminated all pure speed horses from contention. There will never be a new time record set. It also is unkind to route runners. So keep your eyes on the stalkers and pressers. The ones that can gallop forever and rate.

Blue creek lost an 8f in Meydan. Not sure why he ran such a crappy race but he's off form for sure. He has a meetup in March with the Japanese horse Hani that will show if he bled or was sick or just a clunker. Whatever, he showed none of his previous brilliance but it's too soon to toss him completely.

Also smokey image the crooked gained horse is definitely on the improve. He could be another Cali chrome based entirely off his sustained speed figures. He needs to jump in class big time tho.

Aroeforce and Brody's cause are two others on my list but no news yet. It's a bit hard with the field being over 300 right now to keep up. Which is why churchills 2nd future derby pool closed with "other" being the chalk (favorite).

Also I gotta admit, the point system has kinda ruined the race for me. They could move this to the turf and it wouldn't make a difference IMO only.

Lastly wanted to sale the winter sale was a disaster on all levels. The only people buying were once again the South Koreans. There were bargains galore but they weren't selling, indicating that a lot more people than me think bad times are ahead. Which of course why I wasn't there. I find theses sales tell me more about the overall economy than any other charts. They are undoubtably related.

Ruffian
Ruffian's picture
Risen star

The only real action was in the past weekends risen star. It was won by a berdandini named gunrunner but I wasn't that impressed. Mo tom who was third should have won and he finished strongly after being checked hard when his front shin got stripped off. Seems not to be serious just cosmetic. But he regained momentum quickly. Which shows he's got more then one move.

Also aroforce who held a spot on the leader board was just crap. They claim nothing is wrong with him but I suspect he's on his way for some surgery. He wasn't able to get going at all. Despite the connections claims this is not something serious.

Dolphus who was being highly touted first for being the half brother of amazing Rachael Alexandra and his own strong works was scratched. No report which means they didn't want the state vet to see him. This was no surprise as he's been limping along for a few weeks now.

Also cherry wine one of my personal favs was scratched and he's a scratch again from a fever? Hmmm have to keep an eye on him.

Same thing with drefong the very talented baffert trainee he's down with a fever and times running out

Looks like last year ps 2yr old champ is going to the derby off of one sprint and a single 2 turn race. He won the sprint but will one two turn be enough to sharpen him for the derby?? I dunno. Will be hard to rate his speed figures off that.

So moyahem deservedly remains on top the leader board. He's working like a train too.

More races coming up soon with a lot of untested maturing horses. Smokeys image will make a huge jump in class and have to prove he belongs.

Remember ya gotta watch for improvements in speed figures not the Byers. Next big one up is fountain of youth. Some will get a chance to redeem themselves there.

Oh and just FYI Cali chrome won his prep for the 10milliin Dubai classic at Meydan Dubai as he should have. The only reason to go there is for the money it's ranked at 41 which is horrible for a race with that big a payday.

Thanks to a few prominent sires there are tons of greys. If this keeps up we could soon see an all grey derby.

Ruffian
Ruffian's picture
Update

Ok moyahem easily won the fountain of youth against notable Zulu. He came flying home .. Of course he did cuz he's So much better. He was stretch out running hard and I'm thinking is this horse peaking too early but he speed figures remained exactly the same. Nevertheless, his ears were pinned flat and that means a horse is all out .,, will need to see if he improves in his final prep if he doesn't he's s a toss. I should also add his last two works were ehhhh, not bad, not great either,

Next up Nyquist waiting for his next start too. It will be his only prep. This horse has major speed. We already know how fast he can go. What makes him top notch is his ability to repel multiple challenges. He's done as a two year old. You can't teach that. Seattle slew had blazing speed like this and thx to his fabulous trainer he learned to relax and rate. Even so.. As we say slew would look them in the eye and go right on by. Horses really do this.

I'm waiting on one of my original picks, Brody's cause. He's just not gonna hit the races for a few weeks yet. Only one prep? I dunno if that can be done. I wouldn't.

Cherry wine another I had my eye on was scratched twice for sickness not injury. Leaving his trainer in a tough spot of likely have to pit stablemates both contenders against each other. Tough call.

Smokey image  the crooked  legged horse working great. Need to see him face some real competition tho.

Green point crusader who lost to moyahem is NOT a toss. He's working nicely and Zulu also losing to him on the improve as well,

There are many more but I'm hitting the leader boards and I still haven't seen that man o war yet, but dam he's powerful, since I no longer have to worry about running against any of these talented ones in lesser stakes I'm not paying as much attention as I would be normally. It's not necessary if I can or can't beat them.

Oh and aroforce. I got the Stewart's look and that horse is done. I don't know how he managed to get out of the gate. Kinda pisses me off. He shoulda been pulled up.

Oh and baffert, so far mor spirit seems to be his top horse but with him who knows, if a horse can survive his derby prep they are tough. However,mi think he's outta time to prepare my drefong. Then again with baffert u never know. He's won everything but there was high price paid for that record. He could opt for a few southern track that are notorious for the effort needed to run them,

i picked a shitty year to be out with enormous purses and only five or six horses showing up ... That's like clean up for a mule even 

Ruffian
Ruffian's picture
Studying tapes

Wowser dale Romans has a sneaker that might be a factor. His name is cocked and loaded and horses ain't supposed to race that well with so little experience.... Keep ur eye on him

Also lookingforakiss is a serious horse. Major speed, well collected and fabulous double move. Veered out a bit but I think he jumped at a shadow from the crappy lights..... Definitely one to watch too

So far I don't have a firm favorite.... Which is kinda weird

Ruffian
Ruffian's picture
Finally

Brody's cause will start after a 19 week layoff going two turns and he's up against destin both of them by giants causeway. Who was a turf horse ... Oh the irony... This is Brody's first start as a 3ur old..and he's the high weight by 5lbs. Just looking for a solid race not a win.

Also Undeafeaded Nyquist will face leader moyahem also undefeated and the end of the month at gulfsteam, this is rough call for both horses cuz there is a million dollar bonus to the winner. So do ya blow them out of hold back for the derby ....

Finally cherry wine will start and looks like baffert will take mor spirit to oaklawn.

I not hitting on the lightly raced horses at all cuz I've seen them all and they just aren't going to make it. Nyquist is taking a hit cuz his dam side says mile. But he's from the ribot line who can run all day. They cappers used to call this dosage index and u don't hear about much about anymore but many cling to the theory. I do not,

Ruffian
Ruffian's picture
Quick update

a lot happened over the weekend ..... But I feel yucky so briefly the highlights...

Santa Anita was as dead as I have ever seen it. Smokeys image was up in class. I've been watching him cuz I'm worried about him and his gait. He paddles and cross fires. Well up against the big guys he shortened his stride while three wide and then slowed. This is indicative of lungs bleeding or a flipped palate. In the same race mor spirit bafferts top horse just plodded along but that could have been his strategy. There were others but none stood out in anyway.

Then the giant causeway brothers. The one I liked the best was bumped but not badly enough to run that poorly. His trainer dale Romans had planned on taking him to the derby off this prep only. Which I believe is absurd but what do I know. I've never started a derby horse. Destin on the other hand did fine but not impressive at all. Pletcher again is getting to the big race but... Winning it isn't his strong suit,

So for the moment I'm going to say that it looks like moyahem vs Nyquist and they will meet at the end of the month. As I noted before the new fashion is more training less preps ....

All and all I have to say this is the biggest bunch of million dollars losers I've ever seen at one time. I'm more interested in the Dubai World Cup seeing Cali chrome meet frosted and others. Btw keen ice .. Yes the one who beat American pharaoh in the travers looks done.

At least if moyahem wins the derby. One of the nicest most decent guys in the sport will finally have the one trophy missing from his CV. It's so bad that a lot of us are thinking of doing a future derby trainer pool.

Ruffian
Ruffian's picture
Closer not clearer

Bafferts Cupid won the rebel stakes but he was so green in doing so. He will never survive the derby making those mistakes. But if anyone can get yet another tapit to the winners circle it's baffert.  Cherry wine and creator lost but after cherry wine being off 10 full weeks I loved how he route ran and picked his way thru 14 horses for a 4th and held off a sudden breaking news who despite his fifth place finish ran and equally impressive equibase speed figure as winning Cupid. Creator also ran well and none are tosses as of yet. 

Coming up is what folks r calling the early derby moyahem vs Nyquist in the Florida derby. That's a tuff one to call from all angles. It's for huge money and it would be shame to see them duel each other and bounce for the derby. Either way Nyquist is going to the derby with just 12 furlongs racing under him. We know what tapits can do but Nyquist represents the first uncle mo's. 

Big on my list is a ny horse called Matt king coal. Unreal speed, mature but hasn't stretched it out yet. He's not a route runner and if he goes he's gonna have to do it on the front but he's exciting to watch. 

Ruffian
Ruffian's picture
Closer not clearer

Bafferts Cupid won the rebel stakes but he was so green in doing so. He will never survive the derby making those mistakes. But if anyone can get yet another tapit to the winners circle it's baffert.  Cherry wine and creator lost but after cherry wine being off 10 full weeks I loved how he route ran and picked his way thru 14 horses for a 4th and held off a sudden breaking news who despite his fifth place finish ran and equally impressive equibase speed figure as winning Cupid. Creator also ran well and none are tosses as of yet. 

Coming up is what folks r calling the early derby moyahem vs Nyquist in the Florida derby. That's a tuff one to call from all angles. It's for huge money and it would be shame to see them duel each other and bounce for the derby. Either way Nyquist is going to the derby with just 12 furlongs racing under him. We know what tapits can do but Nyquist represents the first uncle mo's. 

Big on my list is a ny horse called Matt king coal. Unreal speed, mature but hasn't stretched it out yet. He's not a route runner and if he goes he's gonna have to do it on the front but he's exciting to watch. 

Cupid and others will be returning to the AK derby and Brody's cause will get a chance to redeem himself off that piss poor effort. Will also see it Cupid who won't actually be three until after the derby can mature quick.

Ruffian
Ruffian's picture
Oh geez

Ok I'm up late cuz I have an overseas client ... And I gotta hit the track shortly...... But a few brief comments

I just saw the most incredible workout EVER ... By Nyquist .... He just shipped to Florida very well for the Florida derby this weekend. But he literally blew the clocks off a five furlong workout..... It wasn't that time but the time he turned in 7fs. He's ranked 2nd to the perfect moyahem and they will meet. Nyquist is going to derby off a 7f sprint win and this single two turn race. Never been done before. Then again he's never let a horse pass him either. But do you let him blow the doors off the leader or save him for the Ky derby?????

Capping these races are exactly like going to 2 yr old in training sales. Pedigree IS a factor a a huge one. The proven tapit vs the white hot I first year stallion uncle mo's Nyquist.. And Nyquist isn't the only uncle mo I like. Mo tom reinsmans checked him hard twice AGAIN and ran him into the rail and that sob still geared up. No word on if he was hurt but his jock admitted loudly his mistake and his trainer said I hope he didn't hurt my horse. Seems like some news should be out but nope.

Then Cupid.... Was a million cheaper than moyahem cuz his tail female line was considered weaker. I disagree ... He's a monster on the bottom with some of the best stayers ever underneath and legend dr fager Aswell, he's green as hell but he's a baffert horse and well if u don't know who he is forget it.

Plus there is 20 more and Jensen who will not go to the derby. Love, just love him and his trainer, he's gonna bypass the derby and avoid all these horses and clean up in the races they are not! Something I would do.

Have a bunch more to cover but for the 40th time Wall Street has ruined the derby.....,and my enthusiasm for it....

Lastly to my dear friend I hope ur reading from above

Semper aeternum amatus Jeff..... TC is waiting, I hope he stops this time.

just to cheer myself up... For the third year a row a son out of my Dads best and ill fated homebred stallion should make the cut for the derby. Over a decade ago he was fav starting his 3 yr old season and then it was over just like that. But he managed to leave a few of his kids to remind us of how good he coulda been. 

Life goes on... Ruffian out ! 

Spartacus Rex
Spartacus Rex's picture
Hat Tips: 13797
Ruffian wrote:Ok I'm up late

Ruffian wrote:
Ok I'm up late cuz I have an overseas client ... And I gotta hit the track shortly...... But a few brief comments I just saw the most incredible workout EVER ... By Nyquist .... He just shipped to Florida very well for the Florida derby this weekend. But he literally blew the clocks off a five furlong workout..... It wasn't that time but the time he turned in 7fs. He's ranked 2nd to the perfect moyahem and they will meet. Nyquist is going to derby off a 7f sprint win and this single two turn race. Never been done before. Then again he's never let a horse pass him either. But do you let him blow the doors off the leader or save him for the Ky derby?????

Hey Gorgeous,

Seriously?

R U trying to get me to believe that you are somehow unable to grasp what is happening here concerning/ in context w/ moyahem?

Cheers,

S. Rex

Ruffian
Ruffian's picture
Oops

Just fir those who care ..,, Cali chrome destroyed the field in the 10 million Dubai World Cup last Sunday evening beating the likes of frosted, keen ice , mshwshi and several other top world horses including gun fighter from Japan ..,, and broke the track record at Meydan doing it and didn't break a sweat ..... He shoulda won that crown but the racing gods made sure he didn't. But being the worlds winningest 1st ranked horse ain't a bad consolation either. I'd take a cool 12 million over a trophy anyday. 

Ruffian
Ruffian's picture
Lol SR an

I have my suspicions ...., I love kiaren. Known him a long, long time. But I'm not liking his not improving equibase speed figures .... 

Either way it's a good problem to have. Keep in mind this is the only trinket missing from the Dubai trophy case. And the fl derby has a million bonus all to the winner. Deep pockets aren't endless ones. On the other hand mo breeds to race 

Dubai has big troubles right now. My client is in Abu Dhabi and I just heard all about them!! 

Edit ok I give .. I know mo, Hamden and kiaren and I don't think they will dare let moyahem in get in a speed duel with Nyquist this close to the derby. At best they will let him stalk... Not press either and hope Nyquist tires hoping his female forestry tail line won't hold the distance.  

Spartacus Rex
Spartacus Rex's picture
Ruffian wrote: Just fir those

Ruffian wrote:

Just fir those who care ..,, Cali chrome destroyed the field in the 10 million Dubai World Cup last Sunday evening...

BwaHaHahahaha!

Cheers,

S. Rex

Spartacus Rex
Spartacus Rex's picture
Ruffian wrote:I have my

Ruffian wrote:

I have my suspicions ....,

Just Curious,

Keyzan Yeezu Teezalk Ceezarneezy?

Cheers,

S. Rex

Ruffian
Ruffian's picture
SR

ya know I don't actually see all the characters ur do u mean carney? If so sometimes. The older guys still speak it at times. 

Ruffian
Ruffian's picture
Just in case

moyahem and Nyquist kill each other look for fellowship to romp.... 

Cocked and loaded must be ill .. Might be in later crown races 

airoforce off that horrid last race is in to go... Same with Smokeys image... Amazing folks get a decent horse and just shoot for the derby instead of going for the cash. 

Love, just love mo tom but he's jinxed or something....  Exaggerator into go off horrid race and chance to redeem himself ... Don't count on it. When horses race that poorly something is wrong ... 

I was hoping Calvin borel would pick up the ride on mo tom but he suddenly retired. Heaven forbid, I hope he's ok. One doesn't retire with a full book scheduled. Those Cajun boys are my favs... Especially Calvin. They bleed horse. 

Lotta racing but I've been busy earning a crust of bread. Will try to add more ...

oh and explainations of Nyquist. He went 103 bullet in 5f officially but he was really cranked up 2f before the clockers started. He was averaging world record splits. He was less than 2 secs off record. Unlike moyahem he's been challenged and prevailed and he's come from behind and forced to route run .... 

However, this is NOT a betting race, except for bridge jumpers 

Spartacus Rex
Spartacus Rex's picture
Pretty & Sharp!

Ruffian wrote:

ya know I don't actually see all the characters...

Enough anyhow to recognize it when you hear it wink

The older guys still... 

Easy on that "older guys" stuff.

shh.gif

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

(Just don't ask: And how many months? laugh)

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Syndicate contentComments for "Preps for key derby preps "