Edamame

28 posts / 0 new
Last post
Turd Ferguson
Turd Ferguson's picture
Hat Tips: 326262
Edamame

I'm thinking about nibbling on some Nov beans tomorrow. I've been trying to hold out for $13.20 but I'm not sure it's going to get there.

paper_6-20pmbean.jpgpaper_edamame.jpg

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 05:18
tmosley
tmosley's picture
Hat Tips: 14948
I love Edamame, but I hate

I love Edamame, but I hate paper.  What do?

Buy the farm, I guess.  In the good way, of course.

Or just pick some up at the grocery store.  Sweet, delicious, savory little buggers.

Art Lomax
Art Lomax's picture
Hat Tips: 3661
Nov Beans

I certainly agree that beans are due a bounce after last week's sell off. We don't really have the bullish fundamentals so how much rally can we expect? 13.60-13.75? I'm not trading soybeans now, waiting on a better risk/reward set up. Thanks for the grain chart and comment.

ferretflat
ferretflat's picture
Hat Tips: 1122
corn limit down

Lost levees in Illinois and Missouri last night.  Corn here in central Illinois is looking good but will probably suffer from shallow rooting and nitrogen leach.  Looks like a buy to me.

Tis no country for old men.

uptofreedom
uptofreedom's picture
Hat Tips: 561
I know you're not talking

I know you're not talking literal nibbles, but on that note I used to snack on 'em till I read somewhere about soy having detrimental effects on testosterone levels...

silverbleve
silverbleve's picture
Hat Tips: 2217
soybeans and corn

I am far from educated in the soybean department, but Turd on a post on the old blog you wrote that when corn crops don't go in on time many farmers plant soybeans in their place. It seems perhaps even what is bullish for corn is bearish for soybeans and vice versa on the current crops timeframe?

hat tip to flatferret for some on the ground perspective!

SilverWealth
SilverWealth's picture
Hat Tips: 15411
DBA

DBA and RJA make good buys on weakness to day, I am not good enough to time this stuff but I know a relative sale when I see one.

tmosley
tmosley's picture
Hat Tips: 14948
uptofreedom wrote: I know

uptofreedom wrote:

I know you're not talking literal nibbles, but on that note I used to snack on 'em till I read somewhere about soy having detrimental effects on testosterone levels...

My understanding of that is that that only really effects children.  So just don't feed it to your kids.  Old fogeys like us can eat as much as we want!

Art Lomax
Art Lomax's picture
Grains

Money flow moving out of grains I'm told.  Also a rumor that a large macro hedge fund is going short the grains.

Ferretflat, rain usually makes grains but yesterdays rains and storms couldn't have been good for crops in the Corn Belt.  But cooler weather good for corn pollination?

ferretflat
ferretflat's picture
pollination

Pollination is still 3-4 weeks away.  Have had only a few days of hot weather. Today is low 70's.

ferretflat
ferretflat's picture
Flooding

Yesterday's Minot newspaper said the water would be high till December.  Missouri river is expected to flood through August d/t reservoir release which hasn't yet been maximized.  Bridges and railroads across Missouri already closing and will remain closed for months(US 136,159, RT 2).  I dont know if permanent levees can hold high water for 3 months.  I have no faith that the temporary levees will hold that long.

I fear that most lowlands between Montana and New Orleans will be taken by the Missouri flood this year.  Also most bridges and access roads closed or destroyed, barge traffic banned for rest of this year.  Most midwestern grain goes down the river.   This could easily be the worst natural disaster in American history.

Rico
Rico's picture
Hat Tips: 6337
That's why this ass-kicking

That's why this ass-kicking in corn and wheat just doesn't seem to make sense.  Where's the damn bottom?  This is starting to feel like the shit-canning silver went through...

ferretflat
ferretflat's picture
Katrina

I sold corn for $1.60 in 2005 after Katrina closed the export terminals in N.O.  There is the possibility that the river will be closed again this fall d/t flooding.

Art Lomax
Art Lomax's picture
Soybeans

Soybeans look like they could work lower with a possible $1 break toward $12. However, with crop report Thursday, could see a small short covering rally.  I'm not ready to trade this market yet.

(trying out how to post a chart)

ferretflat
ferretflat's picture
crop report

I bought corn yesterday and sold it into this morning strength for a modest profit.  Is there a crop report due this week? I'm wondering if this strength will carry thru to the report (front running).  This corn market is starting to resemble the silver market.

Art Lomax
Art Lomax's picture
Crop Report

@ferrettflat,

Crop report Thursday AM. See comments in corn thread.

donpaulo
donpaulo's picture
Hat Tips: 3413
edamame is really great when

edamame is really great when its steamed and salt is added. You then drink a nice cold beer and enjoy the fireworks. mmm mm good

Turd Ferguson
Turd Ferguson's picture
Hat Tips: 326262
Never did buy

Hey, Art, I never did buy the Nov beans I was considering. Glad I didn't wink

However, if I can get $12.75, that may be too much to ignore. I still think its going to be a long, hot summer, particularly at pod-setting time!

Art Lomax
Art Lomax's picture
Soybeans

Turd,

I just don't see a bullish story in beans. While June is ending on a hot note, forecast I read has normal temps and moisture into mid-July. But August weather will be key to the bean market, and it could certainly be hot. (Fun to trade weather huh?) You know the chartwork better than I, but I see beans bouncing off 12.95 twice now, with Nov trading up 12c tonight at 13.06. But I see what you do, if beans break and trade through 12.95, looks like 12.75 to 12.66 would be a buy. (Below that its a long way to support).

Have a good weekend.

Art Lomax
Art Lomax's picture
Triple Top ?
beanchart_1.jpg
Art Lomax
Art Lomax's picture
Nov Beans

Nov beans have been in a $13-$14 trading range for awhile, today trading into 14.10 resistance again. A strong close over 14.10 should trigger some short covering opening up the topside to $16-17, otherwise we retrace to 13.50? Too much weather and unpredictability here. I'm watching this market closely. Trading ideas anyone?

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Edamame"