US Blackout of Crippled Nebraska Nuclear Plant

33 posts / 0 new
Last post
Honest_Money
Honest_Money's picture
Hat Tips: 142
US Blackout of Crippled Nebraska Nuclear Plant

Bullish for corn, but sickening.  Very, very sickening.  What happened to my country?  It's time to storm Capital Hill and demand that they stop manipulating the media and the markets!!  I want the land of the free back!!

http://nation.com.pk/pakistan-news-newspaper-daily-english-online/International/18-Jun-2011/US-orders-news-blackout-over-crippled-Nebraska-Nuclear-Plant-report

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 05:24
Captain Silver
Captain Silver's picture
Hat Tips: 758
MSM.....

The lack of coverage has been criminal.  The local TV stations in the area are at least keeping the locals somewhat informed.

While I'm not sure that the Pakistan News folks are the most reliable source of info on US policy, I have been waiting for something to leak out about a blackout order.  I mean come on, a nuclear reactor in the path of a dangerous flood on US soil 3 months after what will go down as the worst nuclear disaster of all time and nothing but crickets from MSM.  This should be a ratings bonanza for them, the sort of story they love to blow way out of proportion to peak the fear of the general public.

But....   Who owns the MSM? and who builds nuclear reactors? AHHH  Now I get it!  </sarc>

Our monetary system has been hijacked by morons! Abandon ship!!!!

silverbleve
silverbleve's picture
Hat Tips: 2217
Seems bullish for Corn for sure

The media blackout is amazing. This could be pretty bad, there is a lot of farmland down river from that plant. Its not just corn that may have some issues, but hey, maybe we will never even be allowed to know we are eating irradiated potatoes and soybeans thanks to this BS. Maybe its not bullish because no one will have any idea it happened until they notice the loaf of bread in the pantry glowing in the dark from "green" wheat. 

I was thinking about this last night a lot. Perhaps it is events like this even more than economic ones we have been discussing that cause or add to coming food shortages. We dumped enough oil in the gulf of Mexico to make me never want to eat anything that comes out of there, then we have japan irradiating the pacific.  The fish with three eyes from the Simpsons comes to mind. 

The only reason for a media blackout is if it is bad enough that a large segment of the population would panic, and if its that bad, what are we going to do about it? Going long grains is not my mindset, I'm thinking going long(er) gardening and canning and 50lb bags of rice/flour.

Captain Silver
Captain Silver's picture
Blackout

SilverBleve wrote:

The only reason for a media blackout is if it is bad enough that a large segment of the population would panic, and if its that bad, what are we going to do about it? Going long grains is not my mindset, I'm thinking going long(er) gardening and canning and 50lb bags of rice/flour.

Or if it's bad for TPTB.  In this case, and the oil spill, the industry lobby controls the government, but in the case of the New Hampshire human torch it's only in the governments interest to block the story.  The media censorhip is getting scary.  Either of these stories, the flood or the New Hampshire man, should be a ratings bonanza for the MSM telling me that they've got to be muzzled. 

Turd Ferguson
Turd Ferguson's picture
Hat Tips: 326279
 Sorry, guys, but I'm calling

Sorry, guys, but I'm calling BS on this one.

http://www.ketv.com/r/28281114/detail.html

Also, the "no fly zone" has been in place for all US nuke plants since 9/11.

If you're looking for something to worry about, try this instead:

http://www.stltoday.com/news/opinion/article_2b1eeca2-e701-51dd-83c2-f7bcc81845a4.html

Captain Silver
Captain Silver's picture
Worried about MSM reaction, not nuke

Turd Ferguson wrote:

Sorry, guys, but I'm calling BS on this one.

http://www.ketv.com/r/28281114/detail.html

Also, the "no fly zone" has been in place for all US nuke plants since 9/11.

Agree not a likely nuke threat.

After 9/11 the FAA listed in 14 CFR generic no fly zone, 3 nm up to 3000 ft for nuclear plants, open air gatherings and other such things, but this did get its own special TFR

Issue Date : June 06, 2011 at 2231 UTC
Location : FORT CALHOUN NUCLEAR POWER PLANT BLAIRNE, Nebraska near OMAHA VORTAC (OVR)
Beginning Date and Time : Effective Immediately
Ending Date and Time : Until further notice
Reason for NOTAM : Temporary flight restrictions
Type : Hazards
Replaced NOTAM(s) : N/A
Pilots May Contact : MINNEAPOLIS (ZMP) Center, 651-463-5580

http://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_1_6523.html

This was not a general issue.  Not saying that it has anything to do with an actual nuclear accident, maybe just to keep prying eyes out.  Still odd that there is a potential threat to a US nuclear site and the MSM is asleep at the wheel.  Think of the ratings!!!!

spudboy
spudboy's picture
Hat Tips: 38
Nice call on this one, Turd

I live in Omaha, and most of us here are tired of those with wild eyes who see a conspiracy wherever they turn. Things are great here, but we still have too much water along the Missouri River. That being said, the nuke plants are in great shape, and we thank you for calling attention to this issue, GPT (Great and Powerful Turd!).

Sometimes I find that those who are conspiracy-minded significantly diminish their own credibility by reflexively calling those who disagree with their beliefs "Trolls", without really looking honestly at competing claims.

silverbleve
silverbleve's picture
We are merely speculating here

Who said anything about a conspiracy? This thread is not categorized under the conspiracy section, and no one implied there is some shadowy group of elite power hungry individuals that somehow planned the torrential downpours that caused the flood prevention systems to fail.

We are merely speculating on the effects of these events on the future price of corn and other grains. I went so far as to "speculate" that natural disasters such as this could have more to do with the rising costs of food than mere inflation.

The article Turd posted confirms the plant has been shut down if you read it, so I think it is incorrect to say "the nuke plants are in great shape".

Nuclear reactors are not often shut down for "routine refueling" In fact, the real danger of dealing with radioactive material is the pools of spent fuel rods which have nothing to do with whether or not the plant is operational. I'm sure the engineers who designed the plant were much more advanced than those who designed all the failing levee systems like the fort peck damn. 

I for one am definitely not looking for something new to worry about, but I'm sure glad I don't live in Omaha.

Doesn't it seem that if they are willing to openly admit we may lose the city of St. Lois to chest high floodwaters as Turd posted, that we should be able to admit to ourselves they are not in full control of the situation? It stands to reason even if everything was honky dory tptb should be actively working to mitigate the damage in ways that include control of media coverage.

One thing I am sure of, is that there is no one here deserving of the label "wild eyed conspiracy theorist"

Shill
Shill's picture
Ok sure

That being said, the nuke plants are in great shape,

Like the US eCONonmy...great shape. Now! that is a true conspiracy.

And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers.

spudboy
spudboy's picture
How do you define a "conspiracy"?

S. Bleve,

Fort Calhoun has been offline and shut down since April for refueling, way before any of this flooding was an issue. Furthermore, none of us needs to "speculate" about anything that was implied in any earlier posts, as we can go right to what was explicitly said:

"The media blackout is amazing... maybe we will never even be allowed to know we are eating irradiated potatoes and soybeans thanks to this BS...the only reason for a media blackout is if it is bad enough that a large segment of the population would panic, and if its that bad, what are we going to do about it?"

You stated twice that there was a media blackout, which signifies that you believe there is or was a concerted effort to obfuscate or otherwise prevent the truth from coming out on this issue. Are you seriously denying that you were claiming that people (in the media or otherwise) were actively colluding to suppress the truth about this issue? If so, I'd call that disingenuous and intellectually dishonest.

Now that even the Nebraska governor has openly talked about this issue to try and get ahold of all the rumors that are floating on the internet, and we know that the plant is surrounded by an "aquaberg" that will be able to contain any increase in the water level up to 10 feet greater than it already is, then I think it's time for you to acknowledge that your former claims about a "media blackout" and the resultant likelihood of "eating irradiated potatoes and soybeans" were mistaken, don't you?

mastercylinder
mastercylinder's picture
Hat Tips: 141
Archie & Jughead take over America

"I'd call that disingenuous and intellectually dishonest."

Well that little worm of rhetorical overkill set on the hook of false innuendo worked.  I'll bite.  

At this late point in the day I'da thought that the ostrich element of the American midwestern population was running out of topsoil to even stick their heads into, what with the breaking levees, flooded acreages, sandbagged neighbourhoods and frozen, snow covered expanses of northern hill country (after official calendar start of summer!)

But no.

Apparently they're all huddled somewhere behind the safety of something called an aquaberg(! >?-!angel) digging themselves ever deeper into the muddy detritus of MSM "fecal matter" and Tyson feedlot runoff at a time WHEN EVEN THE EARTHWORMS ARE SMART ENOUGH TO COME UP AND SEE WHAT'S GOING ON! 

The whole raft of links that I could use here to demonstrate the degree of bad faith that is being shown by ALL the 'responsible authorities' (warning-oxymoron alert!) across the vast former republic and is now forming into a tsunami like wave of scandalously criminal underreporting of facts of vital import to the health and safety of the populations they allegedly serve and were elected by_would ordinary be inserted about *HERE* .....

but;

when I read something so fabulously misconstructed, so amazingly misleading, not to say laughably er, dis·in·gen·u·ous  like  - "Nebraska governor has openly talked about this issue to try and get ahold of all the rumors that are floating on the internet"  ​I have to defer to common sense and realize I be talkin to someone trying to chase down and get a hold of a(corexit coated) greased eel in a Lousiana bayou(or a floating turd* from a swamped Missouri sewage plant!) at a time when most everyone else is just trying to to run to higher ground.  What's the point...? 

Nebraska?  As in (F'nn)RANKLIN NEBRASKA>!>>?? http://www.amazon.com/Franklin-Cover-Up-Satanism-Murder-Nebraska/dp/0963215809  -   Kool, dude. Is there a place on the net that I can buy one of those nifty Nebraska politicians,\judges\state troopers\blabla - or at the least an action hero figure of same? 

What you don't(want to)know can really hurt you. Believe or not. I  don't really care. I'm just worried about all the innocent victims of this neverending (non)conspiracy of silence. 

...hmm, think I'm gonna leave it at that. The more I nibble on this dayglow plastic worm dangled here, the less appetite I got for discussing NEWS with folks whose internet bumper sticker reads "move along now folks, nothing to see here"! 

Anybody what wants a hand with finding out the facts on the deadly peril confronting the folks downstream of the Ft Calhoun Homer Simpson Memorial Funhouse just ask an we can carry on the discussion at another time.  I need to swim back to some cleaner waters right now! 

*pun intended....Turd,  ol son; when it comes to PMs n stuff like that, YOU DA MAN! However, your grasp of the complexities of domestic and international geopolitical developments as they impact of the health and safety of you devoted followers leaves a bit to be desired. Could I respectfully suggest that you stick to doin what you do best, an keep an open mind t'wards the rest!?!- It don't hurt none, I promise!!...I bet Spudboy gonna weigh in again on this one later in the day after the action's died down in da produce brokerage house...takin care of bizness what what?!(Just sayin huh!)wink

‘I turned their right, pierced their centre, broke them everywhere; the day was mine, and yet they did not know it and would not run.’ Marchal Soult, (despatches to Napoleon)regarding the 57th Middlesex Regiment @ the Battle of Albuera 16 May 1811

Apples
Apples's picture
Hat Tips: 617
I have been in contact with

I have been in contact with someone who actually works in the plant itself.   And furthermore, he happens to be shall we say "agreeable" to the mindset of these forums.  His quote on the matter:

"a small number of people online have fabricated stories about the Ft Calhoun plant, and people who should know better are eating it up"

He has read over the official rebuttal ( http://www.oppd.com/AboutUs/22_007105 ) and has vouched for it.  Obviously a nuclear plant in the middle of a disaster area is hardly ideal, but there is no secret meltdown in progress as Russian scientists suggest. 

The greater danger to the area, he suggests, is industries on the river using the flood as means for dumping their toxic waste, either unintentionally due to lack of preparation, or deliberately to skirt environmental laws.

While the area will remain flooded for a month or more and remains a cause for concern, I would humbly submit that there are bigger problems, both political and finacial, and that this should not serve as a distraction to the true issues out there.

spudboy
spudboy's picture
I'm helpless in the face of such a well reasoned argument

Mastercylinder,

Since you appeared to have difficulty with the word "Aquaberg", that indicates that you didn't even bother to watch the video that Turd provided above. Furthermore, your incoherent post answered exactly none of the points I or others who agree with me have brought up, so just who is engaging in rhetoric here? Are you actually bringing up the Franklin child prostitution ring allegations (which happened from 1988-1991) as an example that current Nebraska politicians are corrupt? 

I give up, as your logic is both compelling and totally unassailable. Please don't quit your day job to take up any task that involves using basic logic or argumentation. I won't waste any more of my time with you unless your communication actually involves making a point.

mastercylinder
mastercylinder's picture
Agonies of a Spud in da Mud *a radioactive primer*

As predicted, da Spud left da mud for one last try at gettin a grip on somthin solid.

I could make any number of points here spudboy to rebut your humorous  attempt to take us all on a free trip to ALICE DOES WUNDERLAND... but yur attempt to discredit me on the grounds of "incoherence" does your argument great harm. Incoherence  is not one of the many fallibilities our Maker has put upon me; you have indulged yurself at your own expense sir....yu may now take yur own medicine.

May I suggest that yu hit the 'virtual' ignore button on Turd's site here until he gets an actual one.  Yu way, way outta yur depth here, and I glean from yur effort that you, um, "know it an don't wish to show it''.  Nice try tho....yu and applesauce should realize I done my time in the trenches of our great 10 A DAY INDUSTRY, way back when, and retired to the life I earned before yu even started lookin for work draggin pallets on the evenin shift.  Now I just look on scrubs such as yuself n smile.

Yup. I dare to discuss the Franklin child prostitution ring disaster here, and the accompanying stain upon all the other States of the Union Nebraska is still unwilling to take responsibility for!  All the current false flag scenarios and HAARP driven weather related disasters harken back to the Secret Government take over of the Union, and the rapid decay in decency and moral standards which has crescendoed into the current nightmare situation upon us. 

Yu have a problem with that, I suggest yu go talk to yur supervisors an ask for some time offa work so as to be able to educate yurself to the current realities of the times we be livin (n dyin) in Spudbud. Till then, I remain,...etc. etc.

‘I turned their right, pierced their centre, broke them everywhere; the day was mine, and yet they did not know it and would not run.’ Marchal Soult, (despatches to Napoleon)regarding the 57th Middlesex Regiment @ the Battle of Albuera 16 May 1811

BlackHawk
BlackHawk's picture
Hat Tips: 3888
Hey Mastercylinder

You are a DayGlo shit pumper in my humble opinion. Maybe working a couple of days on beefing up the levees would be good for your lily white hands and would give you something to talk about later on with your theater friends. We Mortals here are humbled by your superior grasp of reality spawned from your superior intellect. No doubt, you are the product of a genetic mutation.

Did your parents meet at a family reunion? Better check your bloodlines. You're pumping wackoglobin.

lilbromarky1
lilbromarky1's picture
Hat Tips: 2464
The nebraska plant is a

The nebraska plant is a problem.  That spent fuel pool needs cooling pumps operating on it 24/7.  Anything less than that means all food coming from the heartland will be suspect going forward, for centuries.

I can't believe humans have put ourselves in a situation where this is even being discussed.  The possibility of poisoning america's entire midsection with radation?  I'm sorry for the language, but what the FUCK were we thinking when we built these things?

Like my ideas? Check our blog at: http://backtobasicseconomics.blogspot.com/

HappyNow
HappyNow's picture
Hat Tips: 2386
mastercylinder there's no

mastercylinder there's no doubt you could bully a lot of folks into submission all the while appearing to be the victim.  No hat tip for you!

Spudboy it's great to have the local's perspective.   Thanks for leaving rhetoric out of your arguments on the nuclear plant.

Of course when it comes to nuclear materials nobody can ever claim Zero Risk credibly.  This one seems very much in control until something changes significantly.

Apples - likewise thanks for the local view. 

Blows my mind when posters who disclaim the MSM are at the same time unwilling to consider opinions of people who actually live at the site.

Swing trade indexed ETFs. Long physical gold, silver, and 1 miner.

mastercylinder
mastercylinder's picture
Sticks n Stones work better for dam building lads

yup, it's a mind blower squire....

I don't feel victimized in the least...but am more than happy to dish back out what gets thrown at me. You put down the cudgels and write a reasoned rebuttal to my argument that the public -post TEPCO west radiation-BP Gulf disaster-NATO LIBYA Terror Strikes -has earned to right to be skeptical of the authorities spin machines ...I'll give it a read and let you know what I think...the rest of the smarmy schoolyard jive you can jist throw back into the cooling pond with the three eyed carp.

Au contraire to yur supposition, I give every interlocutor here a default free pass to credibility. Opinions, however, are opinions. When it smells like sewage looks like sewage and reads like a self  serving dose of MOPE don't worry be happy of the kind that impacts on the safety of folks I actually care about - get this now - I reserve the right to say so...hat tips aren't the reason I came here comrade. SO far, that element of our public rights remains intact. Problems with that, perhaps you can make a complaint to the CRTC about people with overactive imaginations...Maybe CFB Trenton can airlift some PR people down to Franklin to help out with the perception control problems the State seems to be having.... now that the militaries are integrated.

Canada eh? I love the proactive response to Fukushima yáll have modelled for the rest of the world to gape at in utter disbelief.  Close down all the active monitoring sites and ban episodes of Simpsons which feature HOMER at the plant.  Now that's a real minder blower!

Hey BlackHawk...that pipe you be smokin may need to be reloaded with something other than the crac what seems to have set yu on edge. Funny, that, takin on the avatar of a real warrior, what knew what to do with the pipe of peace and the tomahawk too...you internet toughguys and your schoolyard taunts just make me smile.  My hands were calloused from swingin sledge before you got hatched from the turtles' egg.

Maybe yáll should just let it go now - go back to work on the levee or something constructive. I sincerely hope that the waters recede, but sounds like more rain on the way!

stephanie
stephanie's picture
Hat Tips: 9983
Moving this thread to the Conspiracies forum

This thread seems to be getting a bit antagonistic, and is less about current news than whether a conspiracy exists or not, so I'm moving it to the Conspiracies forum. If anyone wants to continue discussing a possible "media blackout" they can do so. Please try to respond to ideas in a thoughtful manner and not attack people personally. Thank you.

Gramp
Gramp's picture
Hat Tips: 5388
The Arnie Gunderson

The Arnie Gunderson interviews are informative. As a former Nuke Plant Operator,  he gets my attention.

FACT-

- Fire in the Switch Room @ Ft . Calhoun Nuke Pwr Plnt.

-Cooling Pumps for Spent Fuel Pool stopped, then restarted.

- Many "Cores" stored in Pool. ( Upwards of 20 )

Couple this w/ a historical pattern of Reg. Agency  providing  Slow,  to outright Misinformation about other past events... Only to come to light MANY years later, often by chance.

~ Even a dead Fish can go with the flow ~

silverbleve
silverbleve's picture
calm down guys

I see Stephanie has moved us officially to the conspiracy section. Admittedly this thread has splintered and morphed from its inception, not a bad thing unto itself but we are not helping anyone with the direction we are starting to take here. 

At first I was posting in this thread thinking something along the lines of "There is a media blackout, what are the potential consequences on the future price of corn and quality of food production?"

The thread quickly became "Is there a media blackout at all?"

That is fine and there is nothing wrong with that! The problem is when we resort to the common fallacy of ad hominem arguments. Ad Hominem meaning in a general way, to attack the person making the argument rather than the argument itself. Wether a media blackout is real or not, weather the plant is damaged or not, no one is helped if the conversation devolves into throwing stones and calling names.

Thanks to Turd for his taking time to comment, I wish he could have elaborated more as a one line "this is bs" is a bit vague, what part is BS? The flood? The radiation? The media coverage? The floodwaters reaching the plant at all? I will venture to guess Turd was referring to the idea that there is damage to the plant itself, but I'm just guessing. 

Even if the plant is ok and everything is well and good there we should see more attention to this situation from media in general. Even if the plant workers are busy right now throwing a big party with ice cream cake, juice and cookies because they were/are so well prepared for the flood and no one is worried in the slightest bit about anything that we should see something about it in the mainstream media because that's what they do.  If the situation is kosher why not let everyone know to help restore confidence and promote the idea that the US is better prepared than Japan was to deal with things like this. A single press release by the Gov. of Nebraska is not what I'm talking about. I think here in Turdtown we would call that talking your own book.

Either way its a great story right? Headlines could be "US Nuke plant workers relax as record high floodwaters pass without slightest cause for concern" or "Nebraska proves US nuclear plants much safer than Japanese counterparts"

Things like that. 

What I would like to see now to keep this thread helpful and readable is for a calm, rational collection of information and discussion about known facts. This is a story I doubt I am the only one following! Perhaps this is a non-event unworthy of discussion at all, nothing to see here, move along, these arent the droids your looking for etc. 

I will respectfully and politely entertain that notion, and I ask anyone who may disagree to do the same for me. Thats what keeps this place from devolving into flame wars and troll-offs.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "US Blackout of Crippled Nebraska Nuclear Plant"