Silver Solder

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
Captain Silver
Captain Silver's picture
Hat Tips: 758
Silver Solder

So let's say a fellow was cleaning out their garage today and found a rather large, and hefty, roll of #75 silver solder?

I don't know how "pure" silver solder is, it comes in various ratios.

Looking for info on home smelting.  Trying to extract a higher value alloy. 

Any ideas?  Good do it yourself tricks?

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 05:09

Our monetary system has been hijacked by morons! Abandon ship!!!!

SilverTree
SilverTree's picture
Hat Tips: 4521
http://www.ehow.com/info_8202

http://www.ehow.com/info_8202377_types-silver-solder.html

tmosley
tmosley's picture
Hat Tips: 14948
To be honest, I would suggest

To be honest, I would suggest you leave the smelting to the professionals.  The process is resource intensive and hard to do on a small scale.  You will make more money if you just sell it, AFTER you find its silver content.

You might take it to a few jewelers and see if they will give you a higher price than you would get at the refiners.  Use the proceeds to buy the pure stuff.

No1Hunter
No1Hunter's picture
Hat Tips: 1324
Just sell it

It has the best value just the way it is.  The trick is to find out what type it is, soft to hard.

If it fits in a flat rate box, I would eBay it.

Captain Silver
Captain Silver's picture
It's "Hard" silver solder

It's the hard stuff.  Approx 13 lbs of it on four spools.  I think ~5% silver content. I see it retails for ~.25/inch or so. 

I'll try ebay, those folks will buy just about anything at a premium.

Sockeye
Sockeye's picture
Hat Tips: 1234
a local plumber might buy

a local plumber might buy it.  make a few phone calls get a value at home depot. 

I would hang on to it like any silver investment.  it will be easy to sell when the price is higher.

you have to get the correct % since 40% silver is worth much more than 5% silver.

I am almost always wrong. But the fun in life is those few times when I am right.

steeled
steeled's picture
Hat Tips: 576
solder

No1Hunter wrote:

It has the best value just the way it is.  The trick is to find out what type it is, soft to hard.

If it fits in a flat rate box, I would eBay it.

yes, you are right, just be sure to note in your listing that it is undetermined or unconfirmed whether it is soft-med-hard. I think you may have hard because of the #75. here's a basic reference chart on silver solder

SILVER SOLDER

SOLDER   PERCENTAGE SILVER
Hard
Medium
Easy
Easy-Flo
  76%
70%
60%
50%

as far as determining hard-med-soft solder and therefore the total silver content,  use it and note the results (then color code ends for future use) and be sure to test the solder joint for durability.  you can also melt a bit of each in a kiln-must have an accurate pyrometer for this-and check for melt temp if you are not comfortable with trying it out. I wouldn't use it on a meaningful work in progress or on a customer's piece until until you know the results, tho!!!

so, please don't scrap or refine it and link to your listing if you list it!!!!!!!! :-D

you get as good as you give

Captain Silver
Captain Silver's picture
Wow

Had no idea the silver content was so high.  That does make it an interesting find.  I think it's actually from my father's old store, he had an electrical/industrial controls company.  It's probably 40+ years old.

Thanks all for the info!

steeled
steeled's picture
I just saw the 13 lbs!

see a local jeweler-- give or sell him an oz. to test and get the results

13lbs --that's amazing---I take it you weren't talking troy, either (12 troy oz/troy lb)!!!!! wow

Captain Silver
Captain Silver's picture
Motivated to clean garage

Yep.  13 lbs!  At least according to the bathroom scale. 

Good advice, I'll take some to a jeweler tomorrow.   This stuff is probably from the 70's.  It's wrapped in paper with twine wrapper on large cardboard tubes.  I found a bunch of copper wire on spools also. 

BTW,  I'm suddenly motivated to finish cleaning the garage.... 25 years of stuff in here, who knows what else!!!! 

steeled
steeled's picture
bless your dad's heart

quite a nice, unexpected legacy he left you

if you plan on scrapping the copper, be careful. because of all of the copper theft these days, if you can show that it is old stock from your dad's business, it may be to your advantage to do so and retain that proof (in case you need to explain to the authorities because whoever you sold it couldn't prove it wasn't stolen or was caught buying other stolen copper and gives you up as a sacrificial lamb). I'm not the most trusting soul these days, unfortunately. :(

ooow, you must have a fun garage, lol. yeah, dh says I'm a little strange.

plunder
plunder's picture
Hat Tips: 319
40 years old, it's expired

It's 40+ years old? That's too damn old, it's not worth anything. Please send it to plunder and I can properly dispose of it for you.

Nice score, Captain. Also try looking up "metal recycling" near you. Here in Detroit they are as common as convenience stores, and they can offer remarkably different pricing depending on how crooked they are. Shop around, it's worth your while. Any of them will be drooling when you walk in the door with those spools.

The last time I cleaned the garage, I scrapped out an old broken stick welder that was given to me. The price difference between two scrappers (within earshot of each other) was over a hundred dollars. If you think that the bankers are brazen, you should meet some of the scrap metal dealers in Detroit. One of them stole three scrap car batteries out of my trunk while I was rolling the windows up and locking it.

mdcromer
mdcromer's picture
Hat Tips: 246
Wow

Wow and a big congratulations!

Sterling
Sterling's picture
Hat Tips: 2826
What constitutes the rest of

What constitutes the rest of the solder?  Lead?

Can I offer you a drink? How about this expensive prostitute?

steeled
steeled's picture
from that time period, I'd 

from that time period, I'd  say a mix of tin, zinc, and cadium. most current solder formulas have the cadium removed  because of it's cancer-causing properties.

steeled
steeled's picture
Hey Captian Silver

how did that solder check out?

any more interesting finds in that garage of yours? :)

Colonel Angus
Colonel Angus's picture
Hat Tips: 2889
Anyone know of a smelter...

...who will take sterling silverware, refine it into bars, and return it to you? (We're talking about 650 troy oz. here.) Or do you have to sell it to them to refine and then go buy your own silver bars or coins someplace else?

Desert Fox
Desert Fox's picture
Hat Tips: 3567
Colonel Angus wrote: ...who

Colonel Angus wrote:

...who will take sterling silverware, refine it into bars, and return it to you? (We're talking about 650 troy oz. here.) Or do you have to sell it to them to refine and then go buy your own silver bars or coins someplace else?

I've been using SilverTowne to convert Sterling Franklin Mint sets into bars.

I  don't know about silverware but I don't see why they wouldn't.

They are paying 94% on Silver content but there are various fees for the exchange. Still the best deal I've found to convert. Running 3-4 weeks for the turn around. http://www.silvertowne.com/

Good Luck!

Back to top------Nice garage find! Need any help?,,,,,,lolcool

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Silver Solder"