Restore (Clean) Silver with Electrochemistry

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Old Major
Old Major's picture
Hat Tips: 230
Restore (Clean) Silver with Electrochemistry

Here's a great vido on how to use electrochemistry to remove tarnish from your old silver items.  Of course you may not want to do this if it would decrease the numismatic value.

If you're looking to add tarnish or color to your silver rounds/bars, watch this great video:

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 05:09
Old Major
Old Major's picture
I cleaned some old coins

I cleaned some old coins using the first method and it worked great.  I have not tried tarnishing or adding color yet, but will try soon.  Hope this helps people clean their silver w/o destroying it w/ a brush or expensive cleaners.

steeled
steeled's picture
Hat Tips: 576
patina with no harmful chemicals

put your silver in a baggie or closed container with (not touching) a crumbled hard-boiled egg. check every so often until you achieve the amount/color of patina you like.  with this process , you cannot control the color or what parts are affected (unless a resist is used), but, you can do this "science project" with kids!!

you get as good as you give

Old Major
Old Major's picture
I've never heard of that...

I've never heard of that... I'll give it a try. 

Mudsharkbytes
Mudsharkbytes's picture
Hat Tips: 8519
steeled wrote: put your

steeled wrote:

put your silver in a baggie or closed container with (not touching) a crumbled hard-boiled egg. check every so often until you achieve the amount/color of patina you like.  with this process , you cannot control the color or what parts are affected (unless a resist is used), but, you can do this "science project" with kids!!

Makes sense. Tarnish is caused by sulpher and eggs contain lots of it. Never thought I'd want to deliberately encourage my silver to tarnish but to each his own I suppose.

arch stanton
arch stanton's picture
Hat Tips: 2079
@Old Major

Glad you mentioned numismatic value.  I bought eight tubes of 1880's Morgans for spot about ten years ago.  My dealer told me they had been "scrubbed".  I couldn't tell the difference but they had their numismatic value ruined.

Old Major
Old Major's picture
That's too bad about your

That's too bad about your Morgans.  I don't really collect coins, but do buy physical silver as often as I can.  I wanted everyone to mainly see the video on how to clean your stuff w/o a brush.  I get deals on bullion that's tarnished.  When you clean it using the first method, it looks brand new and no damage is done to the silver round/bar.  APMEX sells silver eagles at a discount that are tarnished and so does my local dealer.  Hope this helps save a little cash that you can use to buy more physical. 

steeled
steeled's picture
Hat Tips: 576
@ Mudsharkbytes, I don't know

@ Mudsharkbytes, I don't know why one would patina coins (tho the one video above showed silver ingots), but the egg process and other chemicals are commonly used to patina gold, silver, copper jewelry

you get as good as you give

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Restore (Clean) Silver with Electrochemistry "