Eric O's Favorite Gold Miners

2412 posts / 0 new
Last post
Eric Original
Eric Original's picture
Eric O's Favorite Gold Miners

Currently holding the following and trying to sort out my own thoughts about them.  Keep them?  Dump them?

As I review my own DD over the next few days I'll post my thoughts but in the meantime I'm very much interested in what you all think about these.  Thanks in advance.

New Gold

Allied Nevada

AuRico Gold (formerly Gammon)

Lake Shore Gold

Kirkland Lake Gold

Timmins Gold

Argonaut Gold

Brigus Gold

Claude Resources

Bralorne Gold

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 05:20

This isn't a metals blog anymore. It's a right wing circle jerk, masquerading as a metals blog.

Vypuero
Vypuero's picture
Hat Tips: 3999
Just to give you a post here

Just to give you a post here Eric - I have Allied Nevalda Gold (at $18) and Goldcorp ($45)

do you know anything about TLR?

murphy
murphy's picture
Hat Tips: 18284
what no brownies?

I only own two. ANV and NGD. I made nice runs both times when I bought them and sold them. I presently bought back ANV @ 29 and NGD @10

Eric Original
Eric Original's picture
Sorry Vypuero

TLR is totally new to me.  "Can't own 'em all"

This isn't a metals blog anymore. It's a right wing circle jerk, masquerading as a metals blog.

murphy
murphy's picture
gold miners

Forgot to include my list

AAU

ADM

AGI

AXU

CGT

GG

EGO

AEM

FNV

MFN

PG

PVG

KOR

SWD

BYV

ICI

murphy
murphy's picture
@eric

BTW, I just noticed you prolific record of posts to hat tip ratio so I posted this to the Admin.

It may be interesting to not only keep track of the number of hat tips a poster gets but also the ratio of hat tips to the number of posts the poster makes. Like a batting average with the number of at bats. You can have category leaders with  a minimum of 100 , 500 and 1000 posts.

Eric Original
Eric Original's picture
New Gold (NGD)

Market cap of about $3.7B.  2011 production guidance of 380,000 to 400,000 ounces.  More to come in 2012.  Pierre Lassonde is on the Board.  Pierre is a legend in the mining business, and probably the best way to get the case for the stock is to listen to his KWN interview from February.  His comments about NGD start around the 10:25 mark, but I recommend the whole interview.

http://kingworldnews.com/kingworldnews/Broadcast/Entries/2011/2/23_Pierre_Lassonde_files/Pierre%20Lassonde%202%3A23%3A2011.mp3

Here's the current corporate presentation:

http://http://www.newgold.com/Theme/NewGold/files/documents_presentations/Corporate_Presentation_-_June_14__2011.pdf

Bottom line for me is that there's no way I can walk away from this stock at current prices.  No Way.

zman
zman's picture
Hat Tips: 4039
Here are a few more names

GWY

SXG

APE

LEX

OOO

MGH

FVI

CFM- watching this one, Red Lake, lots of action been taking place in this lately.

Sterling
Sterling's picture
Hat Tips: 2826
Cookies and Lemonade

I came here cuz I was promised cookies and lemonade. Well where is it?  Don't tell me cookie monster beat me here!

Can I offer you a drink? How about this expensive prostitute?

Eric Original
Eric Original's picture
Sterling

It's the old bait and switch buddy.  You got owned!  cheeky

kjm
kjm's picture
Hat Tips: 879
Looks like a pretty good list

Looks like a pretty good list Eric, however I notice that you have ignored the Yukon.

Will be some big movers there this summer imo.

Eric Original
Eric Original's picture
Kaminak

kjm

Not ignoring, it's just that the list above are all currently producing.  That was the focus of that list, though I guess I didn't make that clear.  I own Kaminak.  I have a post or two about it in this thread:

https://www.tfmetalsreport.com/forum/basket-miners-do-you/574

MainMan
MainMan's picture
Hat Tips: 257
to Eric about Brigus Gold

The history and management  of Brigus has been a long time question for me.   Questions about it go to 1998 Pegasus Gold, then Appollo Gold plus Linear to Brigus.   There seemed to be lots of misdirected monies and heavy management payouts along the line.   Then it goes on to Calais Resources (Caauf) and maybe to FAU.    I'm glad you opened this up as I am trying to be informed and hopefully someone will have some better insight.

Eric Original
Eric Original's picture
Allied Nevada (ANV)

About $2.7B market cap.  2011 production should be around 120,000 ounces.  ANV's been showing up on several lists of "most overpriced" miners lately.  Not to worry, the market is just starting to price in the spectacular growth that ANV will put on the board in the next few years.  Production of slated to double by 2013, and that's just the beginning.  The Milling Project is expected to send production soaring to ​1 million ounces of gold equivalent​ by about 2015.  Silver fans should note that HALF of that will be silver!

Working from memory now, I believe the capex on the Milling Project is around $1B, but I read someplace where management was talking about where the money will come from, a lot of it from operational cash flows on the already doubled production after 2013 I think, and it all seemed to make sense to me.  I'm not worried about dilution.

Management is basically all the old Kinross guys circa 2005, so these are professionals who know how to get big things done.

For those who like to buy juniors with a property or two in Nevada, be advised that ANV has more going on in Nevada than any 10 penny stocks combined, and are already onto what looks like a very nice discovery at Hasbrouck.

Bottom line is here is another one that I cannot, will not, walk away from at todays washed out prices.

Here's the most recent presentation:

http://www.alliednevada.com/investors/pdf/1105-anv-corporate-update.pdf

Eric Original
Eric Original's picture
Brigus Gold (BRD)

Main Man seems to have some reservations about management here.  I'm all ears.  There does seems to be something of a checkered past, but the Black Fox Mine ​is up and running now, and that can't be denied.  They expect to be up to a steady state of 100,000 oz per year production by the end of the third quarter of this year.  Market cap is around $300 million, which seems to be a decent value for that kind of production.  Also on the plus side, the chart has been looking pretty decent.  Holding up pretty well in the face of the disaster in the mining sector.  Relative strength counts for a lot in my book.  BRD is +10% over the last month, while the GDXJ is -10%.

There's also the Goldfields Project in Saskatchewan.  A production decision is expected soon.  They are contemplating something like 70,000 oz per year, starting maybe 2013.

On the minus side, Sandstorm owns a 12% royalty stream on the Black Fox.  So you might as well mark Black Fox down from 100k to 88k production right off the top.  This kind of thing pisses me off.  While it's great for Sandstorm, I don't think it speaks well of Brigus' management that they would have ever done such a thing.

Back on the plus side, much of the best drilling lately is at the "147 Zone", just 4km away from the main mine, and ​outside ​of the clutches of Sandstorm.

One more on the minus side, their main corporate offices are in Halifax, Nova Scotia.  WTF?  How many serious miners do you know that have their offices in Nova Scotia?

Also on the minus side, there seems to be an awful lot of warrants out.  Fully diluted market cap is more like $420 million.

Here's their presentation:

http://www.brigusgold.com/pdf/2011-05-27%20AGM%20FINAL.pdf

Bottom line, I've got some mixed emotions here.  Any help out there?

Eric Original
Eric Original's picture
More on Brigus

This guy at Motley Fool sure seems to love it.

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2011/06/17/why-i-doubled-down-on-brigus-gold.aspx

Steampunked
Steampunked's picture
Hat Tips: 267
Allied or Minera

Eric Original wrote:

New Gold

Bottom line for me is that there's no way I can walk away from this stock at current prices.  No Way.

I've owned New Gold since just before the interview on KWN and it's done very well, I don't plan on buying any more but I also don't plan on selling it any time soon either!

I've been interested in either buying Allied Nevada, which you mentioned in your post, or Minera Andes. Allied seem to be the safer bet but if Minera were to find a large deposit somewhere near the Goldcorp site then they'd be a prime target for a take-over; which could send the stock way up.

Thoughts?

RockinJohnnyT
RockinJohnnyT's picture
Hat Tips: 355
Eric Original

Tha t guy from Motley Fool - Chris, Is someone I contact alot.  He is a source of information I cannot get on my own.  He knows CEO's and he makes trips to the headquaters of all of the miners he follows.  I think he is awesome, ask him questions and he will answer you, tell you what he knows.  Here is his Blog on The Motley Fool:

http://caps.fool.com/Blogs/ViewBlog.aspx?t=01006124249416869148

Eric Original
Eric Original's picture
Allied Nevada vs Minera Andes

I own both.  I didn't list Minera here because I consider it a silver miner, and this  thread is for gold miners.

Besides that, I view them as completely different kind of bets.

With ANV, the gold and silver ​is there.  ​The drilling is done.  ​The plan is in place.  It is largely an exercise in financing and construction at this point.

With Minera, we don't know for sure if there's something there of the size that you are hoping for.  You said it yourself when you said "if​ Minera were to find a large deposit near the Goldcorp site."  Sure, the odds seem good, but drilling is never a sure thing.

So, like I said, I own both, but for different reasons.

Eric Original
Eric Original's picture
Johnny

Thx!

Eric Original
Eric Original's picture
Minera

Any discussion of Minera Andes has to consider the impending merger with U.S. Gold.  Forum thread a few days ago:

https://www.tfmetalsreport.com/forum/merger-us-gold-minera-andes/111

I own UXG too.  cheeky

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Eric O's Favorite Gold Miners"