T-ville teachers and educators

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ruffian
Ruffian's picture
Hat Tips: 12494
T-ville teachers and educators

I really need some hel from y'all.

Anyone who knows me or has read my posts is aware that I have a learning disability.

Of course I've searched on my own for online text that can help me learn proper grammar. However, most of it too advanced for me. Not being able to write properly is becoming more and more of a problem.

What I need to do is go back to the beginning. I mean elemtary stuff. So I'm asking anyone teaching or with knowledge to suggest material. All the local stuff is on kids pc's so I can't borrow or buy text books from the school. Plus as letters are fuzzy and sorta move around on me it has to be fairly simple to understand.

I know they have come or are coming out with voice learning programs. Speaking isn't my problem tho. Although, I can't deny I'd benefit from elocution classes.

I know they have folks that teach reading and els classes but I'm looking to learn how to write better and employ proper grammar. Cuz you guys know how even the use of a comma can change the meaning.

Anyway if ya can or will. I'd be grateful for any and all suggestions

Thx,
Ruffian

Joseph Warren
Joseph Warren's picture
Hat Tips: 14887
Hi Ruffian . . . Your post reminds me of a very good friend

of mine. (He passed away a few years ago.) He described what he had experienced in his life and it matches up with what you wrote. My friend had dyslexia. That is, when he looked at words on the page they appeared backwards and jumped around. Of course, that made it difficult to learn to read or write properly, so he struggled in school and was labeled 'slow'. And, he always thought he was 'stupid'.

This wasn't the case at all. As a matter of fact, he was a mechanical genius. He was a machinist, welder, millwright, mechanic, and inventor. At one time he worked at the Boeing experimental aircraft division and the engineers would often come to him to work out problems with a design that they couldn't solve. People with dyslexia may have problems with reading & writing, but they are often very skilled in mechanical or other areas like my friend. Many are athletic. There are quite a few famous people of great accomplishment who had or have dyslexia. My friend taught himself and overcame his dyslexia & later saw that it also somehow brought his many talents.

I don't know if you have dyslexia, but you might want to do web searches using the terms 'dyslexia' with 'adult learning resources'. See if what you find matches your situation and might be helpful to you.

Here's one web link that I found through a quick search:

http://www.beatingdyslexia.com

All the best to you -

question
question's picture
Hat Tips: 3396
@Ruffian

You sure picked a difficult language to learn to write in ;-)

http://esl.fis.edu/learners/advice/gram.htm

http://www.lousywriter.com/

http://www.lousywriter.com/search/pages/HOW_TO_WRITE_BETTER/

http://www.english-grammar-revolution.com/proper-grammar.html

https://www.ego4u.com/

I searched "learn how to write better and employ proper grammar" on DuckDuckGo and got these and others. Maybe something useful? (I like duckduckgo for a search engine)

More power to ya!

Learn to behave

GuerrillaCapitalist
GuerrillaCapitalist's picture
Hat Tips: 5254
A Book Suggestion

Ruffian:

I find very little to criticize in your writing. In my opinion I find you to be a talented writer because you write clearly and I have yet to wonder just what you mean. I just finished an article on Veterans Today that left me confused a bit ticked off by the writers repetition.

I minored in English for my undergraduate degree because the classes were an easy A. The Amazon link is to the style book I kept close at hand when the contradictory nature of English got in my way.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Elements-Style-Fourth-Edition/dp/020530902X

I'll keep your request in mind as I go through my evening chores and will pop back in if inspiration strikes.

GC

Ruffian
Ruffian's picture
@joseph

Im not smart like your friend but I'm not as dumb as I sound either.

It's nice knowing people can be and are successful with this handicap. I've kinda avoided dealing with it directly but in this digital age it's becoming more difficult to do that. Won't even touch upon what it's like trying to understand text and other online media lingo. Reading texts can be plain torture for me.

Thx, I'm gonna check that out. I'm not lazy but it's frustrating and laborious sifting thru the results of searches. I know I have a form of dyslexia but I also see some things in colors too. I'm envious how others can effortlessly take in and share info. oh and this auto correct crap always fixes the stuff I don't want fixed and leaves what I need help with, so go figure! :s

Thx again!

Ruffian
Ruffian's picture
@question

Lol ima change your name to "answer" hehe.

I change my search engine every other week and never use google. Never heard of duckduckgo but I'm going to use it this time.

Thx for links , they are helpful! Figures I'd have to learn english huh?

Thx again!

Ruffian
Ruffian's picture
@GC

I reckon that's more a testament to your ability than mine. You have pretty vast history of dealing with all types of folks and language patterns. Plus you show a natural appreciation for to the point way of speaking. That is what I do, I write just as I speak. It's confusing for folks not familiar with my vernacular.

I think a lot of articles are written just to meet the word count and / or are purposely confusing.

It's just sometimes when I reread what I wrote I'm horrified. The more tired I am the more difficult writing becomes. Plus I spend more time that should be necessary. Basically, I memorize all the facts and details I need cuz I can't trust my reference material. The real reason, I don't fact check when I write. It's easy with my biz stuff to do that but when I venture out of my comfort area that i can't trust myself.

I'm gonna order that book right now!

Thx and as always, my very bestest ! ( that's a word I made up hehe)

PS ruffian is wondering about your take on berghdal! Thought of you and jays when I heard.

Marblesonac
Marblesonac's picture
Hat Tips: 2808
Interesting

Son number one teaches English composition at the local University as a TA.  They just offered for him to teach two classes next year.  He is currently going for his Masters in English, and then he hopes to go on to get a PHD and become a Prof.

Son number two has learning disabilities and a speech impediment.  It seems his (tested) IQ goes up 10 percent when he takes a test orally rather than in writing.  He also had (has) fine motor skill problems.  Like you he has largely overcome these problems through hard work and will graduate from Michigan State in a few months.

My wifes brother has dyslexia and is a self made millionaire.  His son has severe learning disabilities but makes up for it with an incredible artistic ability.  When he was 6 he could sketch at a professional level, at 10 he picked up a welder and made an incredible alligator from junk.  At 14 he picked up the guitar and he shreds at a Blues club in NJ most weekends.

My sister has two adopted children with learning disabilities that will keep them from college.

Having said all that, I have asked Mr. Fix to join the conversation because he uses a voice to computer program, and he might be able to help in this area.

Mr. Fix
Mr. Fix's picture
Hat Tips: 61369
Hi Ruffian,

I don't know if this will help, but it certainly helps me...

I don't type, I can't spell, and even reading becomes problematic. Most of my learning is from videos, and I use a"Dictate" program that I purchased online to post my comments.

My old MacBook Pro did not come with such a program, but after a few years of practice, I got used to the one that I downloaded into it. A couple of weeks ago, I bought a brand-new MacBook Air, and it had a very similar program already integrated into it. It saves me a lot of time, I could not possibly post my diatribes without it.

http://www.nuance.com/for-individuals/by-product/dragon-for-mac/dragon-dictate/index.htm

"When the student is ready,
the teacher will appear."

GuerrillaCapitalist
GuerrillaCapitalist's picture
Hat Tips: 5254
Re: Bergdahl

Ruffian:

Thanks for your kind words and blast of Turdville energy. I'm doing quite well, had my last treatment yesterday and will have a scope inserted in my bladder in 6 weeks to prove the cancer is gone.

As to Bergdahl, I'm not sure we know all the facts, simply because the commercial media distorts and manipulates so much.

I think the poor guy has suffered enough and shouldn't be sent to prison. His alleged crime pales in comparison to the crimes by the Bush/Obama regime.

When I think of Bergdahl I think of my last tour of duty in Vietnam (1971-'72) when it was obvious the war was lost and people were dying for a lost cause. This was the stage in the war when soldiers refused orders for sketchy missions or went out, found a safe place to hide and then went back to base reporting limited contact with the enemy. These soldiers could have been charged with desertion, but often were not. I looked the other way often as did most officers and senior NCOs. (I was a staff officer at the battalion level at the time. Mostly just generating paper) We all knew what was going on and walked a fine line advancing our careers and not getting men killed.

Ruffian
Ruffian's picture
@marblesonac

Wow marble I am impressed. I already knew what a fine job you had done tho! So I'm not surprised.

Your post hit me in the heart cuz jays and I are godparents to his nephew who is on the autistic spectrum. His aunt was 41 when she had this child and I was confused why she asked me and him for that honor. Still remember the priest demeanor when we met with him prior to the event. We were both hungover and reeked of booze. Reckon she saw the good in us cuz we interact with him often and I'd take a bullet for that kid.

I worry about him all time.... As if he were my own. So she chose wisely cuz she can go on knowing he will be taken care of and loved.

My struggles are nothing compared to others,

Thx again marble

Ruffian
Ruffian's picture
@ mr fix

Lol your funny!

I'd never have guessed you used a program! I've read your excellent diatribes.

I'm going to give one a shot sooner or later but because my biggest fear is losing connectivity. I need to learn to function without it. Our wonderful host TF posted a blog of a friend of his that lived and still live in Argentina during the currency collapse. His blog was frightening to be but full of useful material. It also fed my fear of loss of easy access to info.

Also a funny thing is a client of mine bought up all these paper companies that were going belly up because electronics communication. He made a very wise investment. So a lot of folks must be thinking like me maybe.

Thx so much for the advice .....

Ruffian
Ruffian's picture
@GC

I read your post and was shocked. I had never thought about the end of the war and what must have gone on. Not very glamourous to make a movie about being humiliated.

I can't tell you how disturbed I am by this and why I never thought of it.

Oh fuck bush and Obama I'd love to see them transported like some time machine into a gun fight. Jays told me our men fought a fight with one hand tied behind their backs. It's a testimony to the strength and character of american forces that they don't go postal.

The only thing that bothers me about bergdhal is what his mates had to say and that they lost men. However, as you pointed out we don't know and I doubt we ever will know the entire story. And it sure wasn't him that released those GB prisoners.

Your right the guy has been thru he'll and now he's being exploited for political purposes.

I'm now putting piece together. One of my clients was in Cambodia when a coup took place. He said he was in a save the
world stage of his life I remember him telling me UN officials sold UN vehicles and just took off with piles of cash. He hates the UN to this day. He now works for an OPEC nation managing the "flow" for them. Now that I have your experience to add to his and it's left me one pissed off filly at the moment.

So ima shut up and, and, I dunno but I need to work off some frustration!

Warmest regards".....

My heart soars with good new from you!!!

Hammer
Hammer's picture
Hat Tips: 16208
Ruffian, try this. Check out

Ruffian, try this. Check out the very top space - write some words down and press enter to check your text....and clearly there are a lot more things to do on this site.

Good luck buddy.

http://www.shmoop.com/

"I found a flaw in the model that I perceived is the critical functioning structure that defines how the world works." - Alan Greenspan, October 2008
WTF ! Now you tell us !!!

Marblesonac
Marblesonac's picture
Hat Tips: 2808
You've probably already seen these:

http://grammar.about.com/od/c/g/commaterm.htm

http://grammar.about.com/od/ab/g/apostrophepunctuationterm.htm

http://grammar.about.com/od/basicmarks/a/end_marks.htm

http://grammar.about.com/od/punctuationandmechanics/a/semicolondash.htm

http://grammar.about.com/od/pq/g/quotemarksterm.htm

Ruffian
Ruffian's picture
@ hammer and marblesonac

Thx, I've been plodding through those just a bit.

For some foolish reason I thought I'd have more time now. But they are bookmarked and I'm allotting time for them.

Thx again!

flyinkel
flyinkel's picture
Hat Tips: 7065
Strunk and White

Elements of style, a tiny book that packs a whallop of common sense, examples, and writing rules .  It would be hard to find a better book, master that and you are ahead of most college grads. 

You write very well in that it is exceptionally easy for the reader to visualize the scene you are writing about.  Writing rules are easy to learn, it is the clarity of thought that counts and you already excel at that.

flyinkel

Ruffian
Ruffian's picture
@flyinkle

Once again thank you for your input and encouragement.

I don't usually speak much in public forums. I've been viciously attacked for my poor grammar. I suspect it's mostly cuz of the content and not not the style. Yet, those comments linger in my mind and cause me to hesitate. Ya, never know that by the way I blab on here those. But this place truly is special.

It will take me a bit of time but I will get thru it. So like me to pick the time of year when everything is picking up at a maddening pace. But as one my favorite horsemen used to say: " I know so and so has better horses. That just means we have to work harder. " And that's my plan too!

Thx again!

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Syndicate contentComments for "T-ville teachers and educators"