transporting a stack

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
Pseudozero
Pseudozero's picture
Hat Tips: 766
transporting a stack

so after a few years of TEOTGKE awareness, i've finally taken the initiative and decided to leave my downtown 10th floor 1bedroom apt, for some space in a house in a small town all the way across the country where i can plant a little food, and maybe get a little more self sufficient.  great news right, bugging out!!!

anyway, i have a serious question for turdville: i don't drive a car, am a lifelong city-dwelling batchelor, i am hiring cross country movers for my 'stuff', and flying myself and my cat over...i really don't know yet how i'm going to move my stack from here to there...and i've only got a few weeks.

i by no means have the biggest stack here, but it's enough to be a logistical snafu considering i'm not driving. i appreciate any and all advice offered.

here are my options as i see them, ranked in prudent order:

1. should i bite the bullet and courier them separately? just get it over with? brinks maybe?

2. should i disperse/hide it amongst my belongings and ship it with the movers?

3. should i lock it up tight in a few 'faux' boxes marked tools or something and ship it with the movers?

4. should i lock it up tight in an overly-obvious safe-box and ship it with the movers?

5. should i convert everything to gold  at this terrible ratio and try to re-construct in the middle of nowhere?

i really want to keep the coins that i've collected. i don't want to divest any more than i have to for the move itself. what's the best way to get my stack...in it's entirety... 3000 miles without a car?

thanks in advance to turdville. i'm sure this is the right place to ask this question.

CPE
CPE's picture
Hat Tips: 16642
solution

You can ship just like the online metals sites do with the USPS.  Just go on the USPS site and figure out the maximum weight per box and the maximum insurance per box.  Split it up and send it.  If they lose it then you are insured and can rebuy whichever box was lost.

Once you know how much USPS would charge to ship your whole stack insured, then you can compare prices with Brink's, Malca-Amit, ViaMAT, or FedEx...

I don't see any other options since you don't drive and putting it in the moving van is crazy...

- Concentrated Power Has Always Been the Enemy of Liberty - Ronald Reagan

ggnewmex
ggnewmex's picture
Hat Tips: 1933
o, tough one

One that I will have to consider too.

Depends on your stack obviously, however, USPS would be insured ( machine parts) 

some in the moving van (a little) 

then...... carry it? ( just kidding, going thru an airport would be laughable if not for the fact that you would get it

confiscated I believe)

gg

Pseudozero
Pseudozero's picture
i knew it

moving truck IS crazy...70foot transport notwithstanding. any more than 20-40 ounces is too risky.

airport is also crazy, never an option in my mind.

canadapost (am canadian, staying in canada) has a 30kilo max shipment, and won't insure for more than $1000/kilo, and will cost between $125-$250 PER shipment! WITHOUT insurance...balls! for the first time i understand where paper money can be valuable!! one courier company expects me to pay for the expense of an armoured guard for any shipment over $25k

hmmm.

more to think about.

maybe BTC!!!

cyclemadman
cyclemadman's picture
Hat Tips: 1116
Tough One

I think a diversified approach would be best.

Locked tool boxes is a good idea.

Hidden in with heavy items like canned goods, dishes, books, etc.

I would take any gold with me on my person.

Or avoid flying altogether, rent a car, drive yourself, load car with stack.

Unless your stack of silver is really huge any passenger car should handle it. I know our stack is approaching 300 lbs which is the weight of an average middle schooler these days.

Pseudozero
Pseudozero's picture
i wish

i don't even have a license to drive. shameful but true. so a car is just not an option. even a rideshare becomes prohibitive when you add up the daily expenses along the way...plus the fact that i can't help by driving ANY KMs. and i'm not sure i'd want to cross the country with my entire net worth in tow...with some gypsy nomad strangers...hahahaha.

i could just leave it with my father and have it shipped in parts over some time, i'd just much prefer to have it with me of course. nobody gets left behind!

why can't the GSR hit like just 25 for a month or two? even anything under 50 and i'd just convert it all to a few LBS of AU. done deal! but i really don't like the idea of swapping here over 70!!!

first world problems right?

silver66
silver66's picture
Hat Tips: 13996
I ahve a friend who owns

a gold buyer company. I will ask him how he ships his gold and silver to refinery.

I know it is insured

Hopefully I can have details for you tomorrow

Silver66

Silver66
Money is minted, currency is printed

SteveW
SteveW's picture
Hat Tips: 9619
What about these guys?

http://www.fedex.com/ca_english/services/domestic/

“Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend.”
― Albert Camus

Keg
Keg's picture
Hat Tips: 7386
Rent a car

And drive.  Road trips can be fun.

Pseudozero
Pseudozero's picture
@silver66

i'd appreciate that very much.

thank you.

57Goldtop
57Goldtop's picture
Hat Tips: 3713
Ship your clothes and take the scenic route

silver66
silver66's picture
Hat Tips: 13996
Just got this reponse

FedEx.

The other option is to do a trade with a dealer here and get equivalent product from a dealer there.

Hope this helps

Silver66

Anorht idea

Convert your silver to gold and when you get to new location, convert back to silver

Silver66
Money is minted, currency is printed

flyinkel
flyinkel's picture
Hat Tips: 7065
Many moves

They always somehow have to "repack" something.  And always stuff gets stolen.  Do not put it in the moving van.

flyinkel

Pseudozero
Pseudozero's picture
fedex is so expensive

i'm on the websites of canadapost, and fedex, trying different formulas to get quotes, and it is not looking good!

probably at least $1200-1500 to ship with fedex...uninsured. upwards of $3000 depending on what i claim...ouch. for one box!

i don't want to divest a whole ounce of gold nevermind two!! just to get my metal over there...it's already costing me 2 oz to ship my furniture! the silver is just too underwater to sell, but it's too damn heavy to ship. i dont think there are many dealers here in toronto who would provide me with a flat AU/AG swap, and i'm sure there are even less where i'm headed.

this is absurd! i'm more concerned now than i was yesterday.

i don't like it, but i'm going to have to get creative. i re-appeal to everybody here for guidance...how can i do this on the cheap? i really don't like packing it with the movers, but that seriously might be my best way.

now i'm thinking to get a whole bunch of smaller boxes (1x1, 2x2), a few well packed oz's, a few things, and a few clothes in each box, marked vinyl, sculptures, tools, etc... FWIW i'm moving with the largest company in Canada, not 'chuck with a truck'.

shitty buzz, the manipulation really hits home here! TPTB really don't want us liking the monetary metals!

Ferd Torgerson
Ferd Torgerson's picture
Hat Tips: 7170
@Pseudozero

Check your inbox.  My advice may not work for you but may be worth looking into.  As stated in message, no guarantees this will work.

Ferd

Maritime Underwriters since 2011

Pseudozero
Pseudozero's picture
@ferd

not a bad idea.

i'm definitely going to incorporate some of that into my packing.

thanks for the tip.

benny_bomb_boom
benny_bomb_boom's picture
Hat Tips: 1021
pseudo 0

does your father drive? maybe a nice father/son road trip cross-country is in order here.  

no better time than now

boomer sooner
boomer sooner's picture
Hat Tips: 6886
AG to AU

It should only cost 3-5 oz to convert.  Carry AU on de plane.  I understand it would stink to make the conversion.  Compare costs of shipping v. Options.

2nd thought, Call the boys at miles franklin.

​Bullion vaulting service? .5% per year?  Every trip to visit dad, carry some back.

Sell on craigslist or ebay, buy it back shipped to new location.

http://www.brinksglobal.com/Sectors/precious_metals.aspx

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Syndicate contentComments for "transporting a stack"