Coin Collectors Discussion and Help

791 posts / 0 new
Last post
achmachat
achmachat's picture
Hat Tips: 9480
@tvend

If the price between an Eagle and the Buffalo is the same, logic demands that you go for the Eagle!

You need to know that both coins have the exact same amount of gold in them, one troy ounce. The Eagle just has some copper added to the mix to make it scratch and wear resistant, which results in a heavier coin.

Then there's the fact that the Eagle is an official legal tender coin, with the guarantees of a government backing its qualities. Counterfeiting legal tender will land you in jail much quicker than doing it with some privately minted rounds.

ag1969
ag1969's picture
Hat Tips: 28974
Hi Achmachat

2nd release in that rimless series that brought you out of the woodwork:

This time it is 2 oz instead of five ounce.

http://www.jmbullion.com/2016-2-oz-republic-chad-egyptian-relic-series-horus-silver-coin/

achmachat
achmachat's picture
Hat Tips: 9480
Horus

That actually is a nice coin. (@tvend a real coin, not a round or medallion ;-))

And you guys have access to it at a reasonable price.

With its box it could be a very nice gift. Too bad so little people would actually appreciate it. Over the years, I have gifted many beautiful silver coins with actual meaning to the recipients, such as being from the year of their birth etc., but still I know they didn't appreciate it as much as i thought they would.

vonburpenstein
vonburpenstein's picture
Hat Tips: 2678
I have a friend who has some gold coins....

.....and he wants to sell some.  I can't give specifics this moment but they are various very old foreign gold coins.  They are graded by some company that is less thought of than the main graders of numismatics....he is thinking eBay but he's gonna have to pay someone 30% to do it for him....I've not been on this forum before and I know zilcho about these coins. I was thinking he could get more and some of you guys could get a deal....I can get the list and ultimately pics, but if anyone is interested please pm me.  Thx

Signed, Vonburp

silverwood
silverwood's picture
Hat Tips: 1663
Vonburg, I can't PM you so email me

I may be interested so email me at js.kauai@yahoo.com... Thank you. 

tvend
tvend's picture
Hat Tips: 457
Achmachat

+1 agree on all that you said up there.  I was talking about the US $50 Buffalo golds that are 9999 fine.  They are usually only priced ever so slightly more than a $50 Eagle.  I guess you aren't losing anything actually, like you say its got more copper so you've got a heavier coin in an Eagle?

[ OK I just fact checked this, yes.  Eagles = 33.930 grams, Buffalo = 31.108 grams, both with the same diameter, and interestingly the Buffalo is thicker]

Just received the coin, it was the 2011 after all. I am having a lot of trouble photographing, but take my word this thing is really sweet.  It's so much more impressive in the light.  I can hear the Goldfinger theme in my head. 

http://goldbuffaloguide.com/2011-proof-gold-buffalo/

It went on sale in 2011 for $1760, and I was able to snag this for ~ $1375.  At this price, this thing feels like a steal.  Got a lot of gravitas in-hand, the photos don't do this proof finish any justice.  Then its capped off by the really nice mint box, it all just feels like a serious vehicle of wealth-preservation. 

I owed you guys some pics of some things I've recently picked up, but having trouble figuring out the image uploads.. I'll figure it out eventually.

Boswell
Boswell's picture
Hat Tips: 2964
Goldfinger?

Here, let me hum along with you! ;-)

Boswell
Boswell's picture
Hat Tips: 2964
Got a Dime! ;-)

Was tipped off to the close-out sale by an article link on coinflation the other day.  http://www.numismaticnews.net/buzz/new-gold-race-starts-tomorrow-mercury

Got my account in order, set the alarm clock, got one!

Paid $200 list price instead of the $300 aftermarket price. :-)

Thanks coinflation...

ag1969
ag1969's picture
Interesting Tidbit for Somalia Elephant Collectors

Apparently, 2017 is the first year that the Somalia Elephant is being offered in fractional coins of 1/2, 1/4, and 1/10.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SET-OF-4-SILVER-COINS-2017-Somalian-Elephant-1-1-2-1-4-1-10-Oz-Capsules-/371764497800

Also, for those of you who like the Africa Wildlife Series, as I do, the same mint that produces the Africa Wildlife coins has started a Lunar Series starting with 2017's Rooster.  So this is a good opportunity to get inaugural coins for both of these series.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-Rwanda-YEAR-OF-THE-ROOSTER-1-oz-Silver-BU-Bullion-Coin-CHINESE-LUNAR-ZODIAC-/201723682687

I have dealt with this ebay seller several times over the years and he always delivers, always new brilliant uncirculated. 

I am still waiting to receive the Rooster Coin and the fractional series, but wanted to give you guys some advance notice.

ag1969
ag1969's picture
Alert!!!

DO NOT BUY FROM THE EBAY SELLER I LINKED IN THE POST ABOVE!!!!!!!!

In an amazing twist of irony, only 8 hours after I made that post, the guy fucked me.  Everything else about those coins is true, just don't but them from that guy.

brokerk22
brokerk22's picture
Hat Tips: 3974
@ Ag1969

how did he fuck you?  Are they fake?

ag1969
ag1969's picture
No, they are not fake

He sent me the wrong coin, apologized profusely about the mistake and offered to give me a $5 credit off of what I paid if I kept it.  So I decided that I would try to make things easy and told him to send me another invoice for what I paid for the original auction I won for the right coin minus the $5 credit and I would actually buy the wrong coin from him for his price he offered and keep the wrong coin if he would send me the right one.  He refused to send me the coin I won at auction for the price I won it for even after I offered to pay his price for his mistake so he would not need to pay return shipping.  It is mind boggling to me that he did not accept my offer to pay for his mistake.  It became quite apparent to me that he did not like the price I won the auction for on the right coin, and was not going to send the proper coin.  Here is the email exchange, it starts at the bottom:

Your previous message

Sir, you offered for me to keep the wrong coin I received for $23.77. Since I live 30 minutes from a post office and do not have a printer, I offered to pay you the 23.77 for the coin that I DID NOT ORDER AND YOU SENT ME IN ERROR! All I wanted was for you to send me the proper coin that I did order for what I paid for it. You, in turn, chose to let me know that I misunderstood your offer, when quite frankly, I don't think you understood mine. You sent me a coin I did not order, and I offered to buy it from you for your price!!!!! I find your decision ridiculous, but whatever...

son-montuno:

Sir, we are not trying to insult you and my most sincere apology of that is what you thought we were doing. We were just trying to explain that we thought we made the offer clear. I say this because you were claiming that we were not willing to give you the coin you won at the price you won it for and that is not true. We offer return shipping and an exchange for the correct item. We will go ahead and send the $5 refund now. Thank you and best wishes to you!
Sincerely,
SM

Your previous message

If you want to insult me now and insinuate that I am the dumbest of the 10 people that you sent the wrong coin to, then fine. I was just trying to make it easier for all of us. I will take the $5 dollar credit and keep the hippo as I no longer trust you and refuse to deal with you any further because you choose to try to insult me rather than accepting a perfectly reasonable offer. Did any of the other 9 rocket scientists offer to buy both coins from you? I am going to leave you negative feedback and never ever buy from you again.

son-montuno:

That is incorrect, we will absolutely send you the Rooster coin for exactly what you won it for if that is the option you prefer. In that case, we will email you a return shipping label so you can send the Hippo back at no cost to you and we will exchange for the Rooster. Please accept our apologies if we did not make this clear, please re-read our offers and you will see. We sent that same message to 9 other people as we sent 10 wrong coins out and they understood the offer clearly. We have already sent return shipping labels to others. Is that what you want to do?
Thank you!

Your previous message

Ahhh, I think I get it now. What you are saying is you do not want to send me the rooster coin for what I won it for, correct? Therefore, you did not make a mistake in sending me the hippo, because if the story you told were true, what I offered would be cheaper for you than what you are offering to me. What you are saying is that there is absolutely no way you will send me the rooster coin for the amount I won the auction for, and if this is the case, I am going to have a whole bunch of emails to send to ebay describing how you tried to hoodwink me and sent me the wrong coin on purpose. Is that the path you want to take?
I just offered to pay you the amount you offered for a coin that I did not even order, and you don't want to take that deal and send me the right coin that I won in an auction and paid you for?

son-montuno:

We understand your request, we can offer 1 of the 2 solutions we explained earlier.
We are more than happy to give you a $5 refund on the hippo and close that deal but we cannot offer another coin with free shipping at the auction price and give a $5 refund.
Another option is a complete refund, of course we would provide the shipping label for that as well.
Please let us know how you would like to proceed.
Thank you.

Your previous message

SM, I think you misunderstood my offer. I paid 28.77 for the Rooster coin, and you sent me the Hippo. You offered me a $5 credit to keep the hippo. Which means you are willing to sell me the hippo for 23.77. So what I was offering to make this easier for all of us, is why don't you send me a invoice for 23.77, I will pay that, and you can send me the Rooster coin I originally purchased for the 28.77 I already paid you. Does that make sense? That way, I have purchased both coins from you and I don't need to return anything.

XXXXXXXX

son-montuno:

It is quite alright, I completely understand your frustration and I am sorry that we made this error.
We can offer a $5 refund or we can send a return shipping label for the exchange.
Please let us know what you prefer.
The elephant fractional coins are not yet in stock.
Thank you!

Your previous message

Hi SM, my apologies for my tone yesterday. You just happened to be the third in a string of wrong products shipped, and I took my frustration out on you. I have dealt with you in the past and I know that you are a good and honest seller. Why don't we do this:
Since you offered a $5 credit to me to keep the Hippo coin, why don't you send me an invoice for the hippo coin for 23.77, and when I pay that, you can send me the Rooster coin that I ordered. That way there is no return shipping on your part, and I don't need to wait three more weeks to get the Rooster Coin.
And while we are at it, I would also like the SET OF 4 SILVER COINS - 2017 Somalian Elephant 1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/10 Oz + Capsules that you have listed. If you have that in stock and ready to ship as well, feel free to add that to the new invoice.
Thank you and I hope you have a happy and healthy New Year!

Kind Regards,

XXXXXXXXXXX

son-montuno:

I am very sorry for this error, we are offering to send you a return shipping label. All you have to do is print is, tape it on the package and drop in your mail box to send back. This was a presale, that is why there was a wait but we packaged the wrong coin. Thank you for understanding and our apologies, we are all human.
Sincerely,
SM

Your previous message

Well, this is very disappointing as I already have the hippo coin and I have waited a month for you to ship the coin. Now the onus is on me to ship the coin back, wait until you receive it, wait until you ship the proper coin and then hope I get the right one this time around.

There is nothing I hate more than having to ship back stuff I ordered on ebay, and you just happen to be the third one who has sent me a product I did not order in the past month. So forgive me for being rude, but the amount of time and effort these returns has placed on me all through no fault of my own, has left me utterly disgusted with ebay.

While I realize that you made a mistake, none of your suggested resolutions make me very happy. I just wanted the coin I ordered and waited a month for.

son-montuno:

I am so sorry but I believe we made an error with your item and sent you a rwanda hippo coin instead of this one. If you would like to keep it, we can send you a $5 refund. Or, you can send it back for an exchange, of course we will supply the return shipping label. Please let us know what you would prefer. Our apologies for this and Happy Holidays to you!
Sincerely,
SM

ag1969
ag1969's picture
Why I am closing my ebay account

So let me give you more context on the above thread.  For starters, I live in the middle of the woods and the nearest post office to me is 30 minutes.  I also have an old HP printer that ran out of ink several years ago.  Since I never need to print anything, and the toner cartridges are over $40, there it sits.  As you can imagine, this makes returning an item that was shipped to me, and for which I need to print a label to return problematic.  Ergo, when an ebay seller sends me the wrong item, it is a little frustrating.  I am far more tolerant if something was damaged in shipping or was not the fault of the seller, but in this case, he openly admitted that he sent me and  other people the wrong item.  This is also an item which I purchased in a pre sale and waited a month for.

So, the day before the coin arrived, as you can see above, I got an email at ebay from the seller that he sent me the wrong item, this is the third wrong item I have received in a month from ebay sellers so I was frustrated.  One of the three items was $9.99.  I did not even bother returning it and ate the $9.99, because the time and effort it takes me is not worth the $9.99 to me.

In this case I was offered to return the coin he sent me in error, or I could keep it and he would give me a $5 credit.  If I return the coin, I am now going to have to wait for him to get the wrong coin back, and then wait for him to ship me the new coin, which in my estimation would take another 2 weeks for a $28.77 coin that I already waited a month for.  So I offered to buy the wrong coin that I did not order, for the $23.77 that he offered it to me for.  I asked him to send me an invoice for the $23.77, and when I paid that, he could send me the original coin I won at auction.  He refused to do it, stating he could not give me free shipping on two items, despite the fact that he sent me the wrong product that I offered to buy from him for the price he offered.  Furthermore, as you can see above, I also offered to buy the elephant coin set from him that he has listed in his store on a buy it now with free shipping.  He could have shipped those coins together!

Maybe it is me, but I was floored he did not accept this offer.  How many sellers on ebay do you think would be absolutely tickled if all of their customers were willing to pay for mistakes made by the seller? 

"Oh you sent me a product I did not order?  I'll tell you what, how about I just buy from you for the price you offered and you can just send me the right product, and by the way, I will also buy another one of your products to make fixing your mistake worth your while!?

Am I missing something?

Anyway, I was so frustrated that he did not accept what in every corner of the English Speaking World would be a seller's dream offer from a buyer he screwed up on, that I decided to ust take the $5 credit, leave him negative feedback, and move on.

Today, I noticed that my negative feedback had been removed.  So, I contacted ebay only to be accused of "Extortion."  They said that because I tried to to negotiate this with him in the ebay email area, rather than through the "Return Item" platform that it represented "Extortion."  After a couple of minutes of laughing at the customer service rep, I told her that the only reason that conversation took place in the email thread was because the seller emailed me before I even received the coin to let me know he sent me the wrong one.  ebay does not allow me to return an item when the tracking number does not even show as delivered.  She said it does not matter, I should have waited and clicked the return item after I received it.  OK, but extortion?  LMAO

So after all of the above, my feedback was censored and I was accused of extortion, all for offering to buy an item that was sent to me in error.

This has all left me feeling like I don't ever want to deal with ebay again.  And why would I when I have places like JM Bullion and Provident Metals along with my LCS?  I have bought well over three hundred coins on ebay, I pay auctions I win instantly, and very rarely leave negative feedback for anyone.  I think I have left 4 people negative feedback.  One was for a coin that was never shipped, and the other two were not even for coins.  I am sure some of you might disagree with me, but I thought he deserved negative feed back for not accepting my generous offer that ebay considers extortion.  I can't cancel my account for 30 days because I am still waiting on a proof libertad I ordered.  they won't close my account until there is no activity for thirty days.  But thirty days after that thing arrives, I am all done with ebay. 

On a brighter note, I just ordered this from JM Bullion

http://www.jmbullion.com/2017-1-oz-australian-new-year-dragon-silver-coin/

I normally don't buy colored coins, but this one catches my eye and there are only 5000 minted.

Beachedas
Beachedas's picture
Hat Tips: 66
Coin collection

http://www.mnmworldadventures.com/2017/01/09/silver-shield-a-unique-and-revolutionary-art-series/

A really great creative write up on their coin collection.... Enjoy!

Beachedas
Beachedas's picture
Coin collection

http://www.mnmworldadventures.com/2017/01/09/silver-shield-a-unique-and-revolutionary-art-series/

Beachedas
Beachedas's picture
Coin collection

Edit: well that was weird.  Not sure why it posted 3 times...hmm sorry

Beachedas
Beachedas's picture
Silver Shield Group new minimintage

https://silvershieldxchange.com/content/join-silver-shield-group/

Now there are two way to join the Silver Shield Group!

1. Silver Shield Group FREE Basic

Now you can join the Silver Shield Group for FREE and receive member benefits.

Join today!

• DISOBEY - GHANDI - BUReceive the Silver Shield Report Podcast
    • By joining the Silver Shield Group Basic Membership you will receive the powerful Silver Shield Report podcast directly to your email.
    • These podcasts offer logic and insights that you will not find anywhere else!
  • NEW! Exclusive Silver Shield MiniMintages
    • Each week you will receive exclusive offers to purchase limited run MiniMintages that offer a tremendous advantage over the massive government mint programs.
    • In 2017, we will have exclusive Brilliant Uncirculated Silver Shield MiniMintages.
      • A newer version the highly successful MicroMintage formula.
      • Limited runs mean high collectors premium returns.
      • Check out the Silver Shield Market Report at SilverShieldGuide.com.
    • Now we can offer the most competitive pricing for these instant collectors items.
    • Each MiniMintage run creates a limited supply in an ever growing demand of the series.
    • BLINDED Liberty BU 3DWhy buy government silver that runs into the millions of strikes when you can get private, meaningful silver for the same if not better price?!
      • Silver with meaning. (Who needs propaganda, fuzzy animals and the elitist Queen?)
      • Limited mintage silver.
      • As low as $2.99 over spot.
      • No minimum purchase.
      • No credit card fees.
      • Free shipping on orders of $500 or more.

This is from the link.  Theres much more info and coins.  I like to stack and collect a variety of coins and SS are amoung my favorites.  The way we stack is of course our individual preferences just posting this as you may not have seen or considered these before.  Great designs and in depth meaning behind each design.  Often controversial but stacking silver in general tends to be out side the norm.  Some day the rest of society may catch on.  At that stage I will likely be looking for something new.  2017 will be an exciting year... Keep stacking!

Beachedas
Beachedas's picture

Join today!

• By joining the Silver Shield Group Basic Membership you will receive the powerful Silver Shield Report podcast directly to your email.
    • Each week you will receive exclusive offers to purchase limited run MiniMintages that offer a tremendous advantage over the massive government mint programs.
    • In 2017, we will have exclusive Brilliant Uncirculated Silver Shield MiniMintages.
    • Now we can offer the most competitive pricing for these instant collectors items.
    • Each MiniMintage run creates a limited supply in an ever growing demand of the series.
    • BLINDED Liberty BU 3DWhy buy government silver that runs into the millions of strikes when you can get private, meaningful silver for the same if not better price?!
      • Silver with meaning. (Who needs propaganda, fuzzy animals and the elitist Queen?)
      • No minimum purchase.
      • No credit card fees.

This is from the link.  Theres much more info and coins.  I like to stack and collect a variety of coins and SS are amoung my favorites.  The way we stack is of course our individual preferences just posting this as you may not have seen or considered these before.  Great designs and in depth meaning behind each design.  Often controversial but stacking silver in general tends to be out side the norm.  Some day the rest of society may catch on.  At that stage I will likely be looking for something new.  2017 will be an exciting year... Keep stacking!

Beachedas
Beachedas's picture

Join today!

• No minimum purchase.
      • No credit card fees.

Beachedas
Beachedas's picture

Join today!

• No minimum purchase.
      • No credit card fees.

Edit. Sorry again.  My tablet frustates me.  Keeps doing multiple posts.  If the moderator could delete the multiples it would be much appreciated.  May need to switch to posting on my computer.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Syndicate contentComments for "Coin Collectors Discussion and Help"