823 posts / 0 new
Last post
Fri, Sep 18, 2015 - 9:54am Bongo Jim
Hammer
-
Somewhere over the rainbow

Bongo Jim wrote: Well, that

Bongo Jim wrote:

Well, that is not really the question, the question is which is the best place to get a numismatic coin graded? Any ideas?

I have used PCGS before. It took ages to come back (in my case over a month) but I was happy with the grading for a Cuban set I had sent them.

https://www.pcgs.com/

"I found a flaw in the model that I perceived is the critical functioning structure that defines how the world works." - Alan Greenspan, October 2008 WTF ! Now you tell us !!!
Thu, Sep 24, 2015 - 8:29am
Hammer
-

Now this is what I consider

Now this is what I consider to be a very good read and by a man who knows his stuff.

https://www.coinweek.com/bullion-report/what-is-the-risk-that-delayed-ph...

"I found a flaw in the model that I perceived is the critical functioning structure that defines how the world works." - Alan Greenspan, October 2008 WTF ! Now you tell us !!!
Sun, Sep 27, 2015 - 9:58pm
Gramp
-
New England

Nice looking and .9999

Nice looking and .9999 fine... Oh, how I wish I had the fiat to pull the trigger on one https://demandware.edgesuite.net/sits_pod27/dw/image/v2/AARB_PRD/on/dema...

~ Even a dead Fish can go with the flow ~
Mon, Sep 28, 2015 - 7:59am
Hammer
-

Some news from the day after

Some news from the day after it was released back July 30th for you.

https://www.coinnews.net/2015/07/31/2015-100-american-liberty-high-relief-gold-coin-photos/

some complaints about rim damage on coins but on the whole, most buyers seem to have fallen in love with them for their design and 9999 points, or have had them graded hoping for a 70 and then shipped them off to fleabay to make some quick bucks before they cool down.

Tue, Sep 29, 2015 - 6:20am
Hammer
-

This puppy arrived today -

This puppy arrived today - silly I know but it is an interesting "punt" on my side. If, just if they ever decide to change the St George design on the sovereign to this one when the little lad becomes king, it would be quite a thing (unlikely they will change but hey you never know)

Either way, it is a very good design in my opinion - original and has real impact on the eye.

https://www.royalmint.com/our-coins/events/prince-george-second-birthday

followed it up with this one https://www.royalmint.com/shop/The_300th_Anniversary_of_the_Coronation_of_King_George_I_silver_proof(George 1st anniversary - love the mintage number of 1714 corresponding to the year in which Queen Anne died and George became King, first of the Hanovers. I also have the 300 year anniversary coin of her death https://www.royalmint.com/shop/U/UK14QAPL so it is building up a nice bit of a story, connecting with the history and the name George....

Tue, Sep 29, 2015 - 7:58am
Gramp
-
New England

Mr Hammer, Your collection

Mr Hammer, Your collection must be a sight to be seen! It seems the numismatic angle is a more educational, diverse form of the hobby, vs just stacking ounces of metal away in a dark cubby. My personal collection pales in comparison to the rare and low mintage items you have obtained. That being said, my modest clutch grows in size and variety, albeit at a snail's pace. The premiums for these fine bits of art is far less repulsive to me than when I first delved into collecting. In fact, the numismatic items in my collection have been the only items to keep, or gain in value during this multi year down draft in metals price. It does leave the door open for those of modest means ( such as myself ) to obtain some very high quality numis that otherwise, with a surging price would likely remain out of reach.

Tue, Sep 29, 2015 - 8:49am
Hammer
-

To be honest, I am just

To be honest, I am just collecting coins specifically, in this case, from the year my daughter was born (or related as in the case of the 2014 Alderney King George/Queen Anne connected coins) and if any of it becomes worth something from a numismatic perspective in the future, then great. But usually, a lot of this stuff is for flipping within a few days/weeks by most to make a quick buck (with some exceptions). I am just mixing up something fun for my daughter to enjoy hopefully dow the road.

I will get back to some plain boring old stuff soon enough although some of the Japanese and Cuban proof gold stuff I have is looking fun and I am quite keen to delve into that genre again in the not too distant future. I collect sovereigns as well dated across the centuries just to keep things interesting when it gets a bit boring :) as there is just soemthing special about the history and durability of those little work horses.

I think the time will come soon enough to go get the plain ole pet rock stuff but I am enjoying a little bit of modern "design" and creating a story behind the collection for my family in what has been a very special year for us :)

Great to hear of your motives and experiences with collecting. Good luck with future purchases and I have to say, it is a fun little thread we have here :)

Tue, Sep 29, 2015 - 8:52am
Hammer
-

The trick with some semi

The trick with some semi numismatics is to wait a couple of years as the shine comes off their popularity. Sometimes the price comes down quite significantly. Sometimes it holds and in some cases, it goes up....bit like any collecting hobby really I suppose.

Tue, Sep 29, 2015 - 9:34am
Gramp
-
New England

Yes, I would agree. Had

Yes, I would agree. Had picked up one of the ATB 5 oz. coins shortly after it was released in 2012. Paid a good bit for it too... well it just so happens to be one of about 3 total in the entire series to have a higher than baseline price. The one seen here holds a place in my heart. The location depicted is truly beautiful, and I have spent much time working on the water, with nearly the same view shown. I'll admit, it was pure luck ( on my part) that the Acadia, in the Numismatic version has a much lower mintage than most others with a total of 14,978, vs well over 30,000 of most others. https://www.apmex.com/product/67997/2012-5-oz-silver-atb-acadia-national... The one I have is the slabbed version from PCGS, graded SP69 First Strike blah blah blah lol. And for those who think number of ounces is all thay matters, well in this case that is not true. This item has held, and even gained in value whilst the entire sector endures a multi year down draft. Rather than seeking the lowest premium generic 'pet rock' variety of your favorite metals, with a bit of research and information one can sift out what items show potential for gaining value, even in the face of depressed prices overall.

Tue, Sep 29, 2015 - 10:08am
Hammer
-

Good looking design. I like

Good looking design. I like the edging at the bottom under the scenery...again, it brings a certain originality to the piece beyond its central design and it also holds meaning for you. Nice. The bump in price is a nice bonus too! Congrats.

Wed, Sep 30, 2015 - 8:52pm
I Run Bartertown

Gramp

I have one of those 2012 ATBs and I gave one as a gift also (in a shadow-box frame along with a pic of us there - El Yunque - turned out really nice). I was surprised to see even the buyback prices from online dealers are pretty high. I honestly don't think the coins are anywhere near what they could be, especially after seeing the relief and detail on the 2 oz rounds I bought recently. And the front of those ATBs is bland too. Seems like it could have been so much more in the level of design, but I've only seen a couple of them up close. Still very pretty, and perfect for places you've been, gifts, etc.

That Landmark series of high-relief rounds came out with its second release. Of all the luck, it had to be

looks ok, but NY...bleh... so many great landmarks in the US and the second one is this?...testing my decision to collect them already... at least it left out that awful poem that somebody slapped onto the bottom of it years later...

Thu, Oct 1, 2015 - 8:50am
Gramp
-
New England

Continuing with Accumulation of the Numis stuff...

Couldn't help myself when I saw this lil gem! This will be by far the smallest in the collection, at 1/25th of an ounce of pure gold, and a mintage of only 7500. https://www.mint.ca/store/coins/125-oz.-pure-gold-coin-lobster-mintage-7...|categorypage|125_oz_Pure_Gold_Coin_-_Lobster_-_Mintage_7500_2015|Shop-Gold_Platinum&#.Vg0nbXTD_qC With the cost of this tiny coin in the $140 range, and being only around 1.5 grams of gold, I am curious as to how it's market value holds in the next few years. Granted, it's basically just a fun piece to have. I wonder if the relatively low mintage numbers will help to bouy it's price going forward , or if it will be viewed as a gimmick by the marketplace. (Of course selling 1/25 an ounce of gold for that price is a gimmick of sorts! but the RCM does a great job of offering quality and variety.

Thu, Oct 1, 2015 - 9:08am
Hammer
-

Fun looking coin and 1.27g

Fun looking coin and 1.27g for the record :) Comes with a coa and is encapsulated and presented in a Royal Canadian Mint-branded maroon clamshell with a black beauty box, which sounds like great fun.

Here is the designer's site https://emilydamstra.wordpress.com/2015/07/11/gold-lobster/

This lobster can recreate parts iof itself and can be either left or right handed, like humans. Fun purchase. And as you say, it will be interesting to see where this one goes in terms of its price (proof coin too).

Here is the fella on a random site I pulled up. Don't know if this is USD or CAD. Third in a the set of three sea creatures series including the starfish (2013) and the seahorse (2014).....https://www.pomstrading.com/salvaged/canadian-coin-lot.html&price=salvaged

Thu, Oct 1, 2015 - 9:38am
ag1969

ATB's

Hi Gramp, if you go back to page 1 of this thread, you will see a picture of my ATB's, I have the entire set. The picture in that post does not include this years coins, but I have the three already released and am awaiting the Bombay Hook which I preordered from APMEX.

I have a feeling that these coins will eventually achieve much higher pricing on more than just the Acadia and Hawaii Volcanoes because the mintages are low and they seem to be gaining in popularity. I plan on getting the entire set if we make it that far and passing it down as a family heirloom.

I have also bought each of my kids the 90% silver quarters proof sets of the ATB's since 2010, and those are pretty nice too.

With mintages as low as they are, and a 11 year duration on the sets, I have a feeling that in the end, complete sets will be rare and probably pretty valuable.

As much as I love these coins, I agree that the front could have been a little better done, but overall I think these are great coins, and probably my favorites to lay out and look at. When you put them all together side by side, it is quite impressive.

Once I have all five from this year, maybe I will snap another picture for the forum.

Hammer, those 1/25th sea creatures coins are pretty cool!

Thu, Oct 1, 2015 - 9:48am
Gramp
-
New England

Oh man, knew that was to much

Oh man, knew that was to much to pay for such a thing lol. APMEX at its finest lol. I see a seller NOW of course today on ebay with the same item, "Mint Fresh" for $112. https://m.ebay.com/itm/Canada-2015-Sea-Creatures-3-Atlantic-Maine-Lobste... When searching for this coin yesterday on ebay, it only came up with a very few listed. Then, with the RCM website retailing the coin for a similar price to APMEX. Having done business with APMEX before, that provides a bit of security, in that past orders have gone off without a hitch. Though I wouldn't hesitate to purchase from the eBay seller 'Talisman coins', with a 100% feedback rating , and located in the U.S. Part of the learning curve I suppose, and these small mistakes the cost of education lol. That is why starting off with these small purchases is a great way to learn to navigate the ups and downs of numismatics. Though, I wonder how a coin shop can offer these for less than what the RCM retails them for? Bulk order discount? Loss leader? Thoughts?

Thu, Oct 1, 2015 - 4:47pm
Boswell
-
L.ost A.rea, CA

Canadian vs US Dollar

"how a coin shop can offer these for less than what the RCM retails them for?"

1 Canadian Dollar equals 0.75 US Dollar

When I got my Bugs Bunny $20 for $20 it was like ~$16.50 on my credit card. ;-)

Fri, Oct 2, 2015 - 1:28pm
Gramp
-
New England

Right on Boswell!

Well, guess I hadn't kept pace with the exchange rate, and didn't realize it had that much of a spread! As I said, live and learn right? Good grab on the Bugs $20 for $20 coin!

Fri, Oct 2, 2015 - 1:45pm
ag1969

Funny you should say that Boswell

I got the 3 of the Bugs Bunny, one for myself and each of my kids. I just this morning ordered three of the Superman 20 for 20, and they came to less than $15 each.

https://www.mint.ca/store/product/rcmcoins.jsp?campaignName=20for20Superman&pId=3400014&lang=en_CA&rcmiid=20for20Superman_linearUpsell

Edit: And can I just add my two cents that I find the 20 for 20 packaging absurd. A big flimsy piece of thin cardboard that is 75 times bigger than the actual coin, that just makes it a complete pain in the ass to store. Rant off.

Fri, Oct 2, 2015 - 2:29pm
SteveW
-
BC
Canada

$20 for $20

I've been recycling the big flimsy pieces of cardboard and keeping only the coin in the hard plastic capsule, which I'm putting into plastic 8" X 10" pages.

They'll always be valued at $20 for exchange into fiat by the bank and if a coin store considers them less acceptable without all the stupid packing so be it.

I like to think I'll be giving them to my three grandchildren, provided I don't need them to barter for food.

“Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend.” ― Albert Camus
Sun, Oct 4, 2015 - 4:05pm
ag1969

Picked up a 1921 Peace Dollar...

...at the Flea Market this morning. I would call it XF. I am sure I overpaid at $80, but I don't really care. I was there and it was in my hand, and it felt like I should own it now rather than dealing with ebay. Plus, I like the guy and he has given me a lot of good deals over the years, so what the heck. Somehow I feel better with that than the 80 ponzi bucks. That one is going into the heirloom collection in deep, deep storage.

1921 Peace Silver Dollar Value

An important first year of the new design, your 1921 Peace silver dollar value shows it is highly regarded by collectors and dealers.

High grade 1921 Peace dollars are often the centerpiece of a collection. Your coin is both the start of the series and also a one year "high relief" issue. These coins have an exceptionally deep and boldly struck design, compared to the following years it is very distinctive.

As with all old coins, condition plays a large role in determining value. Because of their special striking features it's key to reference the grading images and descriptions below to accurately judge how well your coin has survived.

Pictured to the right is an "uncirculated" 1921 Peace dollar. A number of coins in this condition were saved in 1921 because of the new design, and are highly sought by today's collectors. It is often surprising how much these are worth.

1921 Peace Silver Dollar Value

Condition of CoinDateGood - GFine - FExtremely Fine
XFUncirculated1921$85$94$109$2321921 Peace Silver Dollar Value Updated2015

https://www.coinstudy.com/1921-peace-silver-dollar-value.html