Coin Collectors Discussion and Help

791 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hammer
Hammer's picture
Hat Tips: 16205
Fun looking coins........that

Fun looking coins........that is the enjoyment collecting.....each collector finds their own joy in what interests them in the designs and periods.

I have silver sixpence and thrupenny bits from my parents birth years.....only worth a few dollars in themselves but worth much more to me for the story behind.

"I found a flaw in the model that I perceived is the critical functioning structure that defines how the world works." - Alan Greenspan, October 2008
WTF ! Now you tell us !!!

Hammer
Hammer's picture
In many ways, it is the same

In many ways, it is the same as collecting art or cars etc......it is all in the design or stories they portray

"I found a flaw in the model that I perceived is the critical functioning structure that defines how the world works." - Alan Greenspan, October 2008

Hammer
Hammer's picture
New design issues for The

New design issues for The Queen becoming the longest serving monarch in history released earlier today and the Royal Mint site has crashed twice already today.....demand must surely be high therefore. Managed to slip in a couple of separate orders inbetween the site crashing.

Hammer
Hammer's picture
This one arrived today - had

This one arrived today - had to get it to go with her gold sov issued on the day of her birth (750 mintage) as they nicked my wee one's name and I'm claiming it back.....for the record, the name means "free" :) P.S Ignore the prices on The Mint Page. If you are a registered member, they are cheaper (in this case 66 pounds as opposed to the 80 pounds on the page you see - same for ALL coins on the Mint website)

P.P.S Max Mintage 5,000

A baby’s christening marks an official welcome to the world, and as Princess Charlotte Elizabeth Diana of Cambridge is baptised, we issue a £5 coin in her honour – the only official United Kingdom coin to be struck, and the first to bear her name, with a design officially approved by her parents. Only available in 925 sterling silver and 22 carat gold, struck to Proof standard in strictly limited numbers, this is a very special way to remember the arrival of the new princess.

About the Coin

When news of the safe arrival of a very special baby was announced by the Palace on 2 May, the nation was elated. Now, as the Royal Family unites to baptise Princess Charlotte, we celebrate with a stunning 925 sterling silver Proof coin. This official UK coin has been approved by the princess’s proud parents, and it is the first official coin to bear the name of the baby who is fourth in line to the throne.

http://www.royalmint.com/shop/Princess_Charlotte_2015_UK_5_pound_Silver_Proof_Coin?tab=detail#productdetails

Hammer
Hammer's picture
P.P.PS what I like about this

P.P.PS what I like about this christening crown coin and the crown birth coin is that they are the first to have the number "5" stamped on the head side of the coin rather than the traditional "five" making both somewhat collectible pieces in my mind anyway, beyond the other reasons.

http://24carat.co.uk/

Spartacus Rex
Spartacus Rex's picture
Hat Tips: 13606
@ Brother Hammer - Seriously?...

Hammer wrote:

Don't fret, got a much lower mintage than the one you posted and she is sleeping happily ;)...

"Much lower mintage" than a maximum mintage of 60 ???

Perhaps one of the Cook Island 5 oz Gold Coins which you managed to also snag one as well then, in which case, KUDOS!

Perhaps my Brother from a Blighty Mother was also astute enough to snag a few ultra low mintage 1 Kilo / 10K Yuan Gold Coins as well?

Cheers,

S. Rex

Hammer
Hammer's picture
Very unlike you SR to miss

Very unlike you SR to miss the point. She is sleeping happily (hint, mintage of one), Need I say more ?

P.S. I am  chomping at the bit to get one more proof coin  that I really like the design of before turning my attention back to more mundane buying but am sitting on my hands until next week.......not easy !

JackPutter
JackPutter's picture
Hat Tips: 4178
As far as I know....

The silver coins that have a reeded edge with smooth breaks and numbers are actually Sterling silver and not a 100% content.

Can anyone correct me if I'm wrong on that?

Hammer
Hammer's picture
Could you

Could you tell us what particular coins you have or is it a general enquiry ? And when you say, "smooth breaks", I am not quite sure what you mean.

A recent coin I bought was reeded, of 999 purity and had numbers on it (in this case 5 pounds), and would seem to run counter to what you posted although I do not understand the "smooth breaks" part.

Hammer
Hammer's picture
The Longest Reigning Monarch

The Longest Reigning Monarch Proof coin arrived today. Not a bad effort to beat Queen Victoria for length of reign *63 years 250 days and counting......that'll take some beating which makes this coin a real one off.

The portrait on this coin is unlike any before.

.......all the coins in the Longest Reigning Monarch coin range feature a new commemorative portrait by James Butler. This makes the UK £5 coin a modern rarity, as it is unusual in modern times for one artist to design both the obverse and reverse of a coin. In the portrait, The Queen is wearing the George IV State Diadem that features in the definitive portraits by Jody Clark and Raphael Maklouf.

http://blog.royalmint.com/could-this-be-the-most-popular-coin-of-2015/

Unlike other 2015 crowns, which feature either the Queen's fourth portrait by Ian Rank Broadley or the new fifth portrait, by Jody Clark, this coin has a special commemorative obverse design. It shows the Queen wearing the King George IV State Diadem which she wore on her coronation day, on her way into Westminster Abbey. She changed into the St. Edward's Crown at the altar.

http://24carat.co.uk/frame.php?url=2015crownlongestreigningmonarch.php

Hammer
Hammer's picture
20 pound for 20 pound Longest

20 pound for 20 pound Longest reign arrived today.... nice looking coin with loads of original one of features befitting a one off event (follow link for details)http://www.royalmint.com/shop/The_Longest_Reigning_Monarch_2015_UK_20_pound_Fine_Silver_Coin

0f0dj0X.png

Gramp
Gramp's picture
Hat Tips: 5372
Elemental Mint, nice rounds

Hey IRB, I have a few of those High relief Privateer coins as well! They are done very well and a fun design. In fact, my friend was so impressed with them, that he talked me into selling him one for his daughter as a gift , as apparently she enjoys nautical items.
So I pocketed about 7 bucks profit on that lil beauty! Though more than that, it puts a bit of silver in the hands of a young person, and possibly a bit of awareness of saving, investing, ect.

Maybe you guys can answer why is there different denominations on say ASEs vs a Maple?
Where as the U.S. coin has only 1 dollar on it, though the maple has 5 dollars on it.
To further this question, why does the Gold Eagle coin have a far less value stated on it than the US platinum coins? ( I think the 1 ounce eagle says $50, and the 1 ounce platinum says $100)

~ Even a dead Fish can go with the flow ~

Gramp
Gramp's picture
The new Sponsor, Money Metals Exchange

Also picked up a few bits of Ag through the MMX, the new sponsor on the podcast page.
They have an introductory first time customer package that comes in under retail, though is limited to the 4 ounces. It includes 1 ASE, 1 maple, 1 oz bullion round, .5 oz bullion round, and 5 .10 oz rounds for the total of 4 oz.
Which came out to about $64 US, last week. And I received the order very quickly. Came with a bunch of prepper literature, and offers for purchasing long term storage food items.
I am not up on that side of things, though we do have a berkey, and some high velocity Pb/Cu items lol.

Hammer
Hammer's picture
Some

Some discussion

http://money.stackexchange.com/questions/24874/how-does-a-mint-determine-the-face-value-of-precious-metal-coins-and-what-does-i

Gramp
Gramp's picture
Trip to the LCS

I like the shop, but they are never overly friendly lol. I brought in a couple scrap gold rings I picked up from a friend from his prior marriage. The gold calculator said about $190 worth of gold at spot, to which they would only 64% of spot.
I told them that seems quite a wide spread, to which they said get other offers, you will find ours to be a good offer. I then asked if I were to purchase from them would the offer on the rings improve?
The answer, no. Only in that by bartering the rings , there would be no sales tax on that portion of the retail amount purchased.
Oh yeah, $8 over spot for ASES (gag) , $4 over on generics. No 90% coin to be had. Convenient, but probably true, as I have seen several times buyers come in and say "any 90%?, oh $1200 worth? I'll take it all".
Come to think of it, I wish I didn't give him the rings, he was a rude know it all fuck!
Whatever, I walked out with more gold than I went in with...

Hammer
Hammer's picture
Arrived today - smashing

Arrived today - smashing looking detail in the flesh that the photo can not do justice to at all and well worth the price of admission, so to speak.

http://www.royalmint.com/shop/Magna_Carta_800th_Anniversary_2015_UK_2_pound_Gold_Proof_Coin

Very low mintage - 400 (sold out very fast)

and got the silver proof too to make a set (80% sold now)

http://www.royalmint.com/shop/Magna_Carta_800th_Anniversary_2015_UK_2_pound_Silver_Proof_Coin

Bongo Jim
Bongo Jim's picture
Hat Tips: 2118
To grade or not to grade

Well, that is not really the question, the question is which is the best place to get a numismatic coin graded? Any ideas?

I Run Bartertown
I Run Bartertown's picture
Hat Tips: 15208
Gramp / Hammer

Gramp - Yeah, I think I'll keep buying the Privateer and Landmark rounds as they come out. I can't buy all the oz. I'd like at these prices, but I've been picking up a few things that either look especially nice (Canadian Birds of Prey Owl), or would make good gifts for someone, or just caught my eye

Hammer - That Magna Carta coin is something special. Same new portrait of the Queen as the Monkey coin I pre-ordered (doesn't say "IRB" on it anymore.ha). Not to wish her ill, but that young prince fellow with the beard... put a good crown on him and he'd make a right decent looking coin. All in good time, I suppose.

Hammer
Hammer's picture
IRB, that is a good point

IRB, that is a good point about irb not being there anymore now that the new fifth (and dare one say, last portrait of the queen is in.

I referred this in an earlier post. The design is chosen from a list of anonymous engravers/designers offerings and this is the first time in more than 100 years or so that an engraver from within the Royal Mint itself was selected, I believe. So, another bit of numismatic detail for those interested in the more genteel side of coin collecting.

Hammer
Hammer's picture
Yep, here it is with

Yep, here it is with explanatory video from The Mint

http://www.tfmetalsreport.com/comment/499173#comment-499173

I have the first edition 2015 gold sovereign proof with the fifth portrait (sold out and no longer available from The Mint) and am waiting for the 2015 4th portrait proof sovereign.

The first time in more than 100 years that Sovereigns of the same date will be issued with two different portraits.

http://www.royalmint.com/shop/Fifth_Portrait_First_Editions_The_Sovereign_2015_Gold_Proof_Coin

Looking forward to completing that little set early next month - locked and ordered, just waiting for it to arrive:)

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Syndicate contentComments for "Coin Collectors Discussion and Help"