Homestead/Backyard food production and preservation.

133 posts / 0 new
Last post
Karankawa
Karankawa's picture
Hat Tips: 6770
Homestead/Backyard food production and preservation.

There seems to be a lot of interest in independent food production and preservation of the same.

Just tossing this out as a place for people to share what they are doing and learning. 

With the world going nuts I find producing my own food a very satisfying link to reality.  I don't think the bankers can be beat at THEIR OWN GAME.  But I do think people can WALK AWAY to a large extent.

I think there are some great resources among this community that would like to share their knowledge and questions with others.

"Propaganda does not deceive people; it merely helps them to deceive themselves."

Spartacus Rex
Spartacus Rex's picture
Hat Tips: 13797
@ Karankawa

yesyesyes laugh 

I like this link too

http://healthwyze.org/ 

Karankawa
Karankawa's picture
Thanks Spartacus

But I can't read the link.  It gives me this message:

Security or Technical Error

The page you were seeking does not exist, or there has been an error.   You may return to The Health Wyze Report, or the Health Wyze Store.   Please contact us if there are broken links or other technical problems with our site.

"Propaganda does not deceive people; it merely helps them to deceive themselves."

Spartacus Rex
Spartacus Rex's picture
Hat Tips: 13797
Hyperlinks Not Working?

Simply COPY & PASTE into Browser and Presto! Works like Magic everytime! laugh

Cheers, S. Rex

treefrog
treefrog's picture
Hat Tips: 10390
preservation - bacon, ham and more

here's an archive of recipes for preserving meats.  hams, bacon, sausage, pastrami, jerky, and much more.  i've made several of the bacon type products, salamis, and basterma (turkish relative of pastrami).   i can enthusiastically reccommend buckboard bacon, cajun tasso, and calabrese (calabrian) salami.

for some reason this link begins near the bottom of the archive.  be sure to scroll up AND down.

http://lpoli.50webs.com/Sausage%20recipes.htm#BRINED

treefrog land and cattle co.

Karankawa
Karankawa's picture
Wow.

I browsed through the site and it's excellent!

I'm downloading the entire site and storing it on a CD before browsing any further.

There is no reason for people being hungry today outside of Government Manipulation.  Be it the manipulation of their money or their minds.

Walk away!

mqharris
mqharris's picture
Hat Tips: 50
Eating local cheap

If you live in a rural area, you can fill your freezer with high quality local meat for next to nothing. I have grown up around here and so I know a few small dairy farmers. They have hig quality feed and the marginal cost to add an extra animal for beef is very low. More likely than not, they already do this to fill their freezer so they have a good butcher and the ability to handle the slaughter and transportation. You just got to figure out how to approach them. I commit to buy the whole cow and then sell 3/4 to friends and family and keep 1/4 for free. My customers are happy because I get them top quality, LOCAL, HUMAINLY RAISED, beef for LESS than the cost of commercial beef from the supermarket. Everybody wins.

The only thing is the way the beef is raised makes a HUGE difference in the quality of the finished product. Many have had awful local beef experiences. I've won over many at thought they hated grass fed beef.

If anybody is interested in how to make this work and what to look for,I'd be happy to share

We also organic garden, have a great root cellar in the basement. The wife loves all things fermented, right now it's kefir.

Karankawa
Karankawa's picture
Well I'm breeding rabbits for the first time. For them as well

as me.  So I'm doing some research.

I found this interesting.  I've cleaned a lot of animals for food, but I've never seen the skin left on and the meat cooled with it on, after the intestines were removed.  At least in small animals.

Looks tasty to me.

Karankawa
Karankawa's picture
The fake money game will go on until it can't.

I don't want to be a part of that game, and am extracting myself in everyway possible.

This isn't about a trade folks.  This is about people understanding history.  The more people you wake up to reality, the better chances your kids will have a chance of a future that includes a resemblence of the freedom people take for granted.

treefrog
treefrog's picture
canadian bacon @ two bucks and change/lb

taking a lunch break from working in the garden, i started an almost eight pound batch of canadian bacon while my lunch was cooking.  i was at the grocery yesterday and picked up two boneless pork loins @ 2.09 a pound.  one went in the freezer, and today i made it into canadian bacon.  i cut the loin in six seven inch pieces so it would fit in a plastic tub that a texas gallon of ice cream originally came in.  i mixed up a cure mixture of eight tablespoons of morton's "tender quick" cure (google it), a slurp of maple syrup, and a little ground red pepper (x-hot).  i rolled the loin chunks in the cure mix and stuffed them in the plastic tub, scraping the excess cure from the mixing bowl over them.  i had saved the tight fitting lid from the ice cream tub, and i snapped this on and slid the whole thing into the fridge.  zippo - done!  just in time to eat lunch. 

i'll have to turn the chunks over once a day for a week or so to even out the cure, but that's all there is to it.  after a week or ten days, i'll rinse the chunks off, wrap them in saranwrap, and they'll keep in the fridge for a couple months - not that i'll be able to leave them alone that long.  that's what the second pork loin in the freezer is for.  i expect i'll be doing this again by christmas...  or before.

Karankawa
Karankawa's picture
@ treefrog

I bought a pork loin tonight ($3.28/lb) and am going to try out your bacon recipe.  Sounds really yummy!

Edit:  More details here, www.tfmetalsreport.com/forum/6315/bacon-and-other-foodstuffs

treefrog
treefrog's picture
coffee!

i was at home depot yesterday, and in their houseplant section, i found some coffee plants.  i already had three coffea arabica plants in the greenhouse, but they had been bought as bigger plants and were much more expensive!  twenty bucks for a single plant!  these i found yesterday were eight smaller plants (6" to 14") growing in a single small pot for $4.99 i grabbed a pot of them and repotted them each in its own pot today.  the roots were intermeshed, and i am sure i did some  damage when i disentangled them.  they are now in the recovery room of the greenhouse following the separation surgery.  i was careful, and think most, maybe even all of them will make it.

coffee will never be a major crop for me.  first, arabica doesn't produce high quality beans at low elevation (i'm about 100' above high tide), and second, eleven coffee tree/bushes (assuming all eight of the new ones make it) will never produce the quantity i have become accustomed to drinking.  but i'm going to give it a shot.  i don't know how serious the coming financial/economic clusterfuck will be, but almost all american coffee is imported, and it wouldn't take much for an international luxury trade good to get pinched off, or at least get very expensive.   while i won't have a large crop, i'll have enough for special occasions, and more importantly, seed stock of fresh coffee beans to expand if the need arises.   if you plant roasted coffee beans, you'll be disappointed with the germination rate.

coffee addicted preppers might want to pick some plants up at home depot.  at the very least, it makes an attractive houseplant - glossy, deep green leaves, very fragrant flowers, not bothered by pests.   if you keep them in pots, they can commute - outdoors for the summer, and indoors when it's cold.    and maybe, just maybe you'll be the only house on the block with coffee for christmas breakfast.

http://www.coffeeresearch.org/coffee/homegrowing.htm

Ruffian
Ruffian's picture
Hat Tips: 12494
As to cds

Ya know the one thing I worry about most is the loss of energy"...... So I kinda have tons of paper printed.

After I saw that movie book of Eli. I really do worry about losing access to electronically stored info.

treefrog
treefrog's picture
papaya

with papayas, only female plants bear fruit, but this one

Displaying IMG_1294.JPG

sure looks male.  surprise

treefrog
treefrog's picture
protein harvest

Displaying FullSizeRender.jpg

pleased to meat you mr. venison.

Displaying FullSizeRender.jpg

Karankawa
Karankawa's picture
@ treefrog

The pics in your last post didn't work out.

I appogize for not getting back to you here or your last email sooner.

I'm WORRIED about my tomatos here in S. Texas.  We've already gotten close to freezing In November.  Yeah I guess it's not that out of the ordinary, but I didn't want it this year (Where are you Al Gordo global dipshit), so I'm designing my tomatoes growing on 8 foot trellises to live in a greenhouse LOL.  And I'm looking to make it expandable to the rest of the trellises so they can all become a total 'greenhouse'.  IE, my garden area can become an expandable hothouse, not really a greenhouse.  I've done enough work to start ordering the covers.

This for light freezes that can be left on throught the Winter, and be used for lengthening cool weather crops into the Summer, lettuce etc.  That usually go bitter by May here.

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/c-232-row-cover.aspx?pagesize=15&list=1&pagenum=1#

And I'm still deciding on a cover that may protect into the 20's are so.

I'd been thinking about doing that anyway, but it's bubbled to the top for now, sorta.  I still have 42 quail eggs incubating due to hatch in 10 days, 3 does have been bred with the buck two weeks ago that needed nest boxes built (neighbor helped out with that for package of 4 quail), etc. ...

It's all fun, but sometimes fun gets demanding LOL

God bless everyone that is escapeing the corruption,

Karankawa

treefrog
treefrog's picture
backatcha

sorry about the pics, bragging on a nice eight point buck my son shot and brought by treefrog manor to clean and cut up.  the yuppies in his neighborhood freak out when he hangs up a deer in his front yard.  they all get their meat from the grocery store where no animals were harmed.  devil

Marblesonac
Marblesonac's picture
Hat Tips: 2808
Congrats to your son Treefog!

I took a buck yesterday morning, toes got cold, but otherwise unremarkable hunt at my BOL.

Puting in a small solar system there, but need my son to come home from college in 9 days to help build the ground mounts.

In further keeping with the topic, I had a 4 acre pond dug and stocked it with bluegill and catfish, bass go in this coming spring.

treefrog
treefrog's picture
BRING BACK GLOBAL WARMING!!

this polar vortex sux! 

if the sea levels rise, that just means a shorter trip to the beach.  what's not to like?

Karankawa
Karankawa's picture
@ treefrog

How cold have you guys seen it?  Everything in the 'news' and official reporting here was 35-38 during our last front, but my tomatoes as well as my neighbor's suffered a bit of frost damage.  Slightly enough I thought it might be blight a couple of days ago but the damaged leaves are all being replaced by new growth.

We are back up in temps now and another freeze not in the foreseeable next 10 days.  With that in mind, I'm still refining the design on the 'hothouse'.

You also have given me the bug for growing tropicals.  I have some seeds from a fresh papaya curing to plant.  (Question, how do you protect yours from freezing?)  They grow taller than what I figure would fit in your greenhouse.  I also am going to start more pineapple, started my first one today.  (Another Question, you mentioned the quality of home grown compared to grocery store ... I hope that doesn't mean I'm wasting time growing a bad species)

I considered sending this in an email but thought others might benefit from the discussion.

Nonetheless, God Bless and thanks for the questions you answered about my bacon curing, I will never not have a home supply again. 

Karankawa

Patriot Family
Patriot Family's picture
Hat Tips: 3312
Hi all - hoping you can help

Hi all - hoping you can help with some references to good books or resources - and sellers.  We are buying a property in NE Washington State, elevation is pretty high and we are close to the Canada border with cool summer evenings and hard freezes for 4-5 months in winter.  Summer day can be 100+ F.  them dropping up to 50 F overnight.  30 acres, mixed field/level lot/SW facing hillside with fertile soil behind the house.

Neighbors seem to have very good results with strawberries, blueberries, apples, peaches, pears and anything requiring long freeze hours (they have a garage full to overflowing with picked produce).  Unfortunately the type of bush/trees is not known, and were probably planted by prior homeowners.

We have a 1/4 acre garden we can expand easily by another 1/4 acre or so (all already fenced against deer/elk), plus space for orchards and greenhouses.  We also have a southwest facing hillside behind us with good soil where we can plant blackberries, rasberries, huckleberries, etc.  Many acres available on hillside portion (15?). Plenty of cold room storage for produce after harvest.

Questions:

1. How do I find out cold tolerant/hardy plants for our orchard and berries?  Not just interested in zone tolerance, but also commentary on quality of produce, disease resistance, etc.

2. Are you aware of any suppliers of seeds or cuttings that sell good quality products?

3. Has anyone heard of placing woodstoves in greenhouses to extend growing seasons?  We've heard of people putting an old heavy iron woodstove in, surrounding with brick for heat retention and overnight release, and also jugs of water painted black to slowly release heat overnight.  If you have any references to books or other material on the subject, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks - going through the mortgage application process now, but as soon as we are cleared to close I want our rootstock/seed/cuttings order ready to be first in line since some nurseries sell out as spring approaches.  Gotta put up fenced in area on hillside too before anything can be planted.

Chris

Seller of high quality, Thrive brand freeze dried storage foods: www.freezedriedpantry.com

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Syndicate contentComments for "Homestead/Backyard food production and preservation."