Turdville Performing Arts Center

207 posts / 0 new
Last post
SaratogaPrepper
SaratogaPrepper's picture
Hat Tips: 5457
Monserrat

The Rock was my one attempt at computer art that I posted in A.I.M. long ago.

Posting an Aria here would be most welcome. This forum is for everyone to share, enjoy and hopefully broaden their horizons.

Be excellent to each other.

57Goldtop
57Goldtop's picture
Hat Tips: 3713
Well, that's the least surprising thing in my day

"I do have three tibetan singing bowls and a quartz crystal singing bowl"

Listening to the Dreaming Tree you posted makes me think that many people can't or won't slow their inner self down enough to let this in.

57Goldtop
57Goldtop's picture
Monserrat

"btw is your name related to a Gibson. So you play. And that's music. That's what matters. I dunno if this thread is about classical music"

The name's related to a particular Gibson with a heck of a history. A long list of people have played it (on loan) in the past few years and I've used a bunch of these pictures as my avatar here, but it got out of hand when a rumor went around this forum's predecessor that I'm a certain rock star. I'm..... not.

I strum an acoustic mainly. A hack with an act and a talented sideman who thinks I'm nuts. It'll only worsen if I show up next time with one of those dang singing bowls and ask about his ch'i.

smileyAnd my comments about classical were in jest, since I never imagined Saratoga would go this long in his new performing arts center without injecting some Nancy Wilson, Motorhead, or sumsuch. 

Ruffian
Ruffian's picture
Hat Tips: 6837
Classical?

Sorry for the double post

Ruffian
Ruffian's picture
Classical?

Egad, in an attempt to civilize me, I guess. Going to the symphony once a month was mandatory per my parents. I can't tell you how much I hated it at the time. So much so, I made it a point to wear casual clothes and one time, swimwear under my coat as a kinda protest. Obviously, I didn't check my coat.

Several years later I realized I really do like chopins nocturnes and love Hungarian rhapsodies and that 1812 piece.

BUT, going thru my dads old reel to reel tapes I found Lou Reed and I love him to death.

People will often say if you had five minutes, an hour, a day etc who would you spend it with? Most often folks say their parent, god, or some other well known figure. I would answer pretty much the same.

However, if it was two weeks. To be honest my parents ( I miss them painfully) would drive me insane over two weeks. So I pick Lou Reed to kick it with. All those guys are too coo in the velvet underground even today.

I hate cgi's and that artificial stuff"... It makes me uncomfortable. Kinda like what you hear you cant barely trust and you can't
trust what you see either. Even the real stuff looks fakish at times. I feel like I'm watching video games or cartoons.

SaratogaPrepper
SaratogaPrepper's picture
Hat Tips: 5457
Aboriginal

I'm trying to behave

Be excellent to each other.

Green Lantern
Green Lantern's picture
Hat Tips: 36003
@Ruffian, I too would have

@Ruffian,

I too would have probably rebelled if I were forced to attend classical music concerts as a kid.  Although I did enjoy concert bands, but I wanted more than anything to sneak away go to New York and sit at the bar of a jeezy smoke filled jazz club and hear Benson, Hubbard or Count Basie, Maynard Ferguson band.    That didn't make me too hip in the 70's with my schoolmates listening to the Police and 60's classic rock, The Who, Zepplin etc...

And oh yeah, the corridors of classical music schools is still pretty stiff but I notice these days people don't go to LIncoln Center dressed to the T.  Jeans, and women in those tight hug em pants.    When I used to play in a brass ensemble in college I used to make fun of all the baroque stuff and all the guys had to tell me to shut up.   I remember saying all this shit sounds the same to me.  BB King playing tomorrow in Brooklyn, whose coming? BTW, the late 80's bb king band, bad ass!!

But I got older and wiser.  Bet ya bottom dollar under the guise of civility some of these guys are as wanton as you would expect Van Halen was in the 80's.

Arrogance happens in all forms of music and jazz is the worse offenders.  fuck 'em.  I have little use for Wynton Marsalis and his jazz is a superior music bullshit.   There are two types of music good and bad. 

Listening is an art.  It just doesn't happen.  LIstening is learned and our likes and dislikes are shaped by what we are exposed to.  No different than food.   Most people can't sit down to listen to three or four movements of symphony without getting itchy.   That's our society.  Part of listening is allowing whatever experience or emotion the music is giving to you just to happen.  So some of it is not what you like or dislike but what experience.  When people hear different music and it doesn't have the beat, harmony or melody they are used to, they immediately turn it off.  I think as a musician, you can't afford that kind of attitude.   Folk, country, blues, rock, jazz, classical, African, Asian, Andean.... they are kick ass musicians around the world make all sorts of music and it's all valid.

I still have a hard time with opera.  I walked out on Pavarotti in an opera.  The orchestra stuff fine.  The singing style, in extreme moderation.  I can tolerate Kathleen Battle singing a pop sock.  But she is kinda of hot;)

Evelyn Glennie is complety deaf but she can hear.  Say what?  She is a kick ass percussionist and to boot a pretty outspoken musician.

Green Lantern
Green Lantern's picture
Archie Shepp

He taught me everything I needed to know about the blues.  Professor Archie Shepp saxophonist, poet, singer, and "black radical"  He took me back to Africa, to the Planation, to Louis Armstrong.  Yeah, he has some pretty radical bias's about white guys playing the blues but I was 18 and wasn't going to argue with the professor who played with John Coltrane.

Used to go see him play at the "Blue Wall" college bar, and the Iron Horse Cafe.  #1 jazz club in the world.

Momma Rose,  Did he just say that her vagina was split asymmetrically from east to west?

Green Lantern
Green Lantern's picture
Salvation Army Band

In the old days, they used to wear a uniform and they would have three piece brass bands playing Christmas Carol wearing hats and uniforms.  Civilized.  A taste of Old New York.

Now what is it?  A guy with a boom box playing Xmas music, two bells, an apron and his pants hanging off his ass.   Didn't take a picture.

Green Lantern
Green Lantern's picture
Something for Murphy.  These

Something for Murphy.  These got what is known as Longevity

Green Lantern
Green Lantern's picture
R.I.P. George Duke

Recent loss of a jazz/pop/R&B/funk legend.

His wife died of cancer and the grief got to him and not to long after he passed.   A monster pianist and writer.

His last CD and interview

Y'all know this one.  Sweet Baby

57Goldtop
57Goldtop's picture
Spyro!

Downloaded that to the tablet, and I'm going to settle into it again in the office with headphones when the noise of the day picks up. Morning bliss extension.

Green Lantern
Green Lantern's picture
Last summer I walked into

Last summer I walked into Guitar Center to buy some toys.  And they had a life size cardboard display with this DVD's.

My Puerto Rican/Columbian guitar friend who thinks he is Paul McCartney was with me.  I said, you need to learn how to play the blues.  Even the Beatles started off play rhythm and blues. So I threw this into my cart and we went home and listened to it and told him not to come back until he mastered this style.   I haven't seen him in awhile.

For you wannabe guitarists that need some help.   20 Five Star reviews.  And some putz's that say stupid shit.  "Not very helpful" because you need to put strings on your guitar before it works.  Assumes some prior knowledge of music.  Get a teacher and practice your ass off and then one day you might be able to play like this too.

http://www.amazon.com/Warren-Haynes-Electric-Blues-Guitar/dp/B000BM7YXS

My 60 year old girlfriend (on the side) is in love with Joe Bonamassa

57Goldtop
57Goldtop's picture
Haven't watched it in a few years...

But that Warren instructional vid often impresses on people the need to understand a wee bit of theory.

He tells you what he's thinking when he approaches his soloing.

Had a chance to sit down with he and Derek Trucks a couple of times and talk about how they planned the ABB shows, since they would switch parts on many songs each night. Dreams leads, the slide in Statesboro Blues, the solos in their odd performance of Blue Sky, the entire Liz Reed experience, Mountain Jam, etc.

A lot of the brilliance is the noise coming from the guy who's not in the spotlight at any given time. They built lofty platforms for each other and then hung back, Derek at the back of his rug, Warren with his Mule arse in front of the Soldano rig.

It looks like some kind easy peasy, "Oh, hey, how's about you do the middle of Dreams tonite and then pass it to me to go back to Gregg" sort of thing.

On the inside, I believe they're planning it with different modes, like perhaps a few of those darker Dickie Betts jazz notes or the exuberance of Duane's slide voicings. Derek is playing far more than a 12 note western scale.

What we hear isn't some completely accidental improvisation, but rather the execution of a plan where the strategy was deliberate, allowing for the implementation tactics to be spontaneous. Organized joy.

Two players, on many levels interchangeable, but as distinct as night and day. The reason I could watch 5 shows in a row at 74th and Broadway and understand their freshness was because I watched that video, GL.

So, if the Warren video is one bookend, here's the other. In between exists many volumes of that organized spontaneous joy.

"...there's a lot freedom inside of it, but a psuedo-strict set of rules..."

The whole bigger than the sum of the parts? Holy heck. You betcha.

I'm saddened to see that the ABB has stopped touring. These two guys were the booze in the drink, so to speak, for a long time.

murphy
murphy's picture
Hat Tips: 17788
GL

Nice Spyro one, thanks.

Here's a blast of the past. My buddies band used to play this from '75 to '78.

Did you know Champlin wrote this one?

Ruffian
Ruffian's picture
Back @ ya green latern

I've found that the key to appreciating classical and opera is relaxing.

As a person, who normally has to be in motion constantly. I can't enjoy certain types of music when I'm working. Then a few year back I got this viscous barely two year old colt at an auction. I had to jump off that sob at least twenty times. He was gonna kill me. Now horses are cued by slight body movements. The difference between contact and pressure are not very different.

So one day, Earplugs in, I get on him fully prepared for him to rear again and he just stands calmly. I hadn't switched to a more furious beat I usually listen to. Then it hit me that he had been picking up on the slight tension in my body. He really needed more relaxation than most. That when I discovered how much what I listened to affected my own mood. Anyway, he went on to be a pretty darned good racehorse and got to keep his male bits.

You are so correct. There is great stuff in all genres of music. I have to admit I like them all. One of thee best times I ever had was when I had to make an emergency stop in appalacia country and hit a local bar. I walked and they immediately grabbed me to dance to their hill music. They were clogging and just had a train/line going around the dancers. Thought I was pee myself. Ended up staying a few hours...hehe won't even comment on the beverages. Wish I could find that place again.

Monserrat
Monserrat's picture
Hat Tips: 325
57Goldtop! Green "Singing Bowl"Lantern & Saratoga

Hahaha!   Oh Goldtop do take a singing bowl! But you need a special rug and some incense so your sideman can get the whole experience.   Ok I admit I have one of those too.  Well 2.  And i gave one away.  Very hard to do but?  Well i made myself ---just to remind myself of the grand impermance of this earthly space ( as though I needed reminding).  (...moment of sadness...) sigh.
So I knew you were friendly.  And now you say you aren't a famous rock star.
I feel you have a lucky sideman whoever you are.  And a fortunate young'n!   
i am rather quiet these days doing research  and just found myself writing these interminably long answers here.  
Ok Mr. Saratoga an aria?  Lol. Here comes Baroque GL!
  In my youth music was like a palace with rooms.  I went into my rooms and left this century to visit another.  To me musical taste had nothing to do with it.  This was Handel.  And this is an aria Handel wrote and that was that.  I was always somewhat surprised by the ire of others and early on concluded that they preferred other rooms usually rooms offered by the current times in the culture.  It's really merely about the laws of time and what remains of then, here and now.  A past in the present.  A Phoenix of music rising from the ashes of our collective experience as humanity.  In the future we will offer the sounds to fill some westside child's inner room. I wonder who they will hear.  These are the questions I ask myself.  Yet the human instrument will remain as well as treasured Goldtops and flutes and Tibetan singing bowls...that I am sure of.
Lascia ch'io Pianga

Let me weep
My cruel fate 
And cry for liberty
May sorrow
Break these chains
Of my suffering
For pity's sake

Green Lantern
Green Lantern's picture
57Goldtop wrote:I believe

57Goldtop wrote:
I believe they're planning it with different modes, like perhaps a few of those darker Dickie Betts jazz notes or the exuberance of Duane's slide voicings. Derek is playing far more than a 12 note western scale. What we hear isn't some completely accidental improvisation, but rather the execution of a plan where the strategy was deliberate, allowing for the implementation tactics to be spontaneous. Organized joy.

Dang, there is deep thinking people hanging around this place.  While it's not the hot forum, maybe some of the classical stuff scared them off, what it lacks in popularity, is made up with depth.  I like that.   After all isn't music a vehichle to open up the consciousness?  We're philosophers, story tellers, seekers and through music we learn and tell the truth?  

I haven't watched any of the video's yet and will have to do so over the weekend.  If I recall correctly, in our old musical forum (jeez forgot the name) I was introduced to Derek Trucks.  For that matter, some music that I was unfamiliar with.   Probably where I learned about that Haines character, and Trucks, and did some deep listening to Allman Brothers, read about their history which wasn't really part of my vocabulary.  I knew the names so only had a superficial familiarity with the music.  But I love new stories, especially when they have history. 

If memory serves me correctly, Murphy posted a video of Trucks playing with BB King.  And after Trucks solo, BB turns to him and says something like "that's as good as I've ever heard it"   Stuff like that sticks in your mind.  So I wanted to find out more about his guy and probably watched a bunch of video's.  Checked out his website.   And if I remember correclty, he was studying raga?  Or other forms of music with alternative tuning?   The kind of guy that plays the notes between the notes.  After all, blues is essentially a microtonal music.   Raga isn't equal temperament.  My indian   bansuri's are just intonation. The third is lower and much more resonant.   (Sorry no music lesson tonite other then they split the notes differently)  So after, watching those video's, I understood that this guy has depth and that's why a young ( he looks young) white cat can sit next to somebody with longevity such as the King, and say something different.   

Good music perseveres even if society declines.   

Green Lantern
Green Lantern's picture
@Murphy.  yeah, I knew

@Murphy.  yeah, I knew Champin wrote that song.   I saw EWF and Chicago on tour together a couple of years back. Lots of gray hear on stage!! Verdine White is gonna be 90 years old and still jumping up and down.   I got to meet Verdine, Phillip and the third character, Ralph what's his name,  back stage in Philadelphia in 2001.   They performed with Chaka Kahn. 

Meeting your music mentor story....

It's a funny thing.  I am not usually star struck and I don't bother people especially famous people if I run into them.  I was in an elevator just me and Derek Jeter.  I guess that's as popular as you get in sports.  I looked at him, smiled to acknowledge him like I would a stranger, and didn't say anything else.  He's probably not used to that.   But I could kick myself in the ass for not saying anything to my childhood hero when I was in a small club in Harlem.  And Freddie Hubbard was in decline.  He suffered a malignant lip tumor and he wasn't really able to play with the fire he used to.  This was a run down supper club.  

Guy played for kings and Presidents in every venue in the world, grammy awards, all sorts of jazz awards, played with Billy Joel, Elton John, John Coltrane, Art Blakey, Benson (Benson played for Freddie)  and here he is playing in a rundown super club in Harlem with probably no more than 50 people.   But the cats were out because they knew Hub was playing and he had an allstar band.  So he finishes his set, and I'm standing right next to him and nothing came out of my mouth.  Not even stupid shit like I have all your albums. NOTHING.  Frozen silly.  And some punk comes up to him and asks him probably everything I would have wanted to ask him as a musician.  I won't get that chance again until I meet him in heaven.  Jazz heaven for sure. 

@Ruffian, you are dead on about needing to be relaxed to experience music especially music you are unfamiliar with.  So the question is can you relax enough to take this in?   I know it takes torturous amount of training everything from the hand and facial gestures, to vocal technique.  And really Chinese music is mostly a pentatonic scale.   I find it intriguing, but not necessarily enjoyable.  It almost sounds like it comes from another planet.  I like gongs especially the kind Grateful Deads Mickey Hart used to tour with.   Gongs are deep.  He writes in his book, that he would put himself in a trance state and be unable to move when he played them.   But these small chinese gongs just sound other world like. 

Green Lantern
Green Lantern's picture
Dexter Gordon in the Motion

Dexter Gordon in the Motion Picture "Round Midnight"  There is a scene where this young white kid see's him in a jazz club in Europe and goes up to him, Hey, I met you in New York.  Do you remember me?  Of course, he doesn't but he thinks for a moment and says oh yeah, how ya doing, nice to see ya.  And then hits him up for money for eithe booze or heroin.  Forgot.  Long time.  Hilarious scene.  Just the preview. 

​Chan's song named after Charlie Parkers daughter and written by Herbie Hancock for this movie.  Beautiful changes. 

That's Dexter Gordon on tenor (R.I.P)   Freddie on flugel (R.I.P) Cedar Walton piano (R.I.P) Billy Higgins (R.I.P.) and the sole survivor (another one of my jazz professors) Ron Carter.   He is a serious dude not prone to laughter or silly jokes.  Know your shit or get out.   Kind of a difficult guy but he could play that bass.  He once gave me a compliment so he wasn't all bad :) But he did rip me a new ass on other occaisions.  I probably deserved it. 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Syndicate contentComments for "Turdville Performing Arts Center"