Turdville Performing Arts Center

212 posts / 0 new
Last post
Green Lantern
Green Lantern's picture
Hat Tips: 37311
@Monserrat I only started my

@Monserrat

I only started my world flute journey in around 2009.   I played jazz trumpet since I was a kid and messed around with bass since highschool, piano lessons etc.. went through a life transition and started with native american flutes and then started listening to other traditions.  Got plenty of world drums too. 

I think I got caught on the quena more out of stubbornness than anything else.  I heard these Peruvian guys like Checho playing modern music on a stick with holes.  And I said how hard can that be?   So I purchased one, and it was much harder than I thought.   I'm like damn.  It must be a bad stick.  It wasn't a great stick.  So I bought another and another.  I wasn't going to let a wooden stick with holes in it beat me.  And began to realize, I needed to practice that thing like any western instrument.  And so I did.   It can take awhile to get the embouchure down and like anything you are always adjusting.

I am not really a silver flute player but I do own a student model.  Just that these world flutes take alot of time and there is only so much time in a day because I play Chinese rim blown flutes too. They are sweet.   It's learning the musical traditions that takes all the time and the repetoire.   So if you are playing MOzart and Vivaldi on the silver flute, you the man.

So warning, finding a good quena and the right quena is a journey in itself.  If you need any guidance, let me know.

I do have some video's but I'd rather not post them in this forum.  Kind of takes away from the anonymity one enjoys on a financial related forum.  Plus I am recording new stuff.  After I record stuff, I don't listen to it much because I'm focused on something else.

Green Lantern
Green Lantern's picture
Hey Murphy, Good stuff!!!

Hey Murphy,

Good stuff!!! Welcome aboard!!

Yeah, there is some bourgeois and arrogant attitudes in classical music but it's for everyone.  I just went to the library when I was a kid and tried listening to different things. until I got it.   Now we have youtube. 

I was a foodie in my younger years.  LIke trying new and different things.  Samething with music.  I like listening to music from all traditions.   Hmmm punk rock can go fall off  cliff and some of the modern hip hop and artificial beats.  

Green Lantern
Green Lantern's picture
Chinese Xiao Flute

Green Lantern
Green Lantern's picture
It's All About That Bass

Ok, ok, something a bit more Americana.

This young lady has got it! Plays bass, sings and nice smile to boot.

This was posted on facebook with comment after comment, I don't hear the bass.  WTF Up.  It's like people who give a product a bad review on amazon because they never received it, it came late, or broken.    If you can't hear the bass, it means you have lousy speakers, lousy headphones and you shouldn't be listening to music. Sell a couple of those silver eagles and get a decent pair of headphones or speakers. 

BagOfGold
BagOfGold's picture
Hat Tips: 15487
Saratoga...

I just love your new thread!!!...

smileyheartsmiley

Bag Of Gold

57Goldtop
57Goldtop's picture
Hat Tips: 3713
Murphy

Thanks for posting that absolutely smokin version of Anyday last night. Bill Murray seemed to dig it too.

In keeping with the TFMR cultural upgrade from corner bar to performing arts center...

96Goldtop has moved away to study music at the university level. Instead of watching her busk with Taylor Swift songs and then comb through the loonies for old silver coinage, the next time we see her she will be performing this darkness:

(BTW, lest you think I'm actually DT, I upgraded my avatar)wink

Monserrat
Monserrat's picture
Hat Tips: 325
@GL

Well GL I found music in high school too.  Spent my lunch hours practicing Handel.   Practicing for my Eastman audition.  Yes.  Ok.  I was accepted.  But finances did not allow that journey.  Geez huh?  No regrets though.  Back then yes.  
  I seldom look back.
Haha!  I laughed about your flute challenge.  Sneaky how determination hooks us.  First ego says "no biggie" then ego {{{wilts}}} then? determination takes over--a fuel for those hours ahead of trying and trying.  Well!  You didn't quit!  Passed the threshhold.  And then comes the inner respect and the depth of feeling.  Is this reverence?  I think so.
For me and Mozart?  Well.  By the 3rd Mvt.  I was crawling to the finish line!  I knew I'd never be a flautist.  The experience was not an exercise in futility though... That 2nd Mvt was worth the journey. I wuz sub par?
Here's da man!  Picked him also because he has a gold flute and this is a precious metals site thank you very much.  

Planning my flute trip next week.  Hopefully a friendly flute will wave
"me! Me! ME!"

Monserrat
Monserrat's picture
@57Goldtop

Lol! Taylor Swift huh? I prefer Loretta Lynn. Lotsa good singers from that area in Kentucky. The Judds and my momma. Garnet.

Monserrat
Monserrat's picture
Some Bachianas Brasilieras for B of Gold!

Listened to Bream last night!  Didn't hear 1 and 2 though! Love your talent!

This first piece I heard @ 14 years old and though mesmerized?  I didn't totally love it.  But funny.  This song must have liked me because it never left my memory..
Some songs I guess come before you're old enough to hear them fully.  
Bidu Ssyao was the favorite singer of Villa Lobos. (  I love these older sopranos-- they don't hoot.  They aren't over embellished.  They are Straightforward.  With voices not built on foundations that are more technique than talent.  Enjoy!  

This second piece.  Well.  I looked awhile for this one.  I'd seen it a few years ago.  Just want to share with the pals.

57Goldtop
57Goldtop's picture
Yep, Taylor Swift

The kid did play other material when busking, like some Floyd when freaky lookin' old guys like her dad walked by, or Leaving on a Jet Plane for the grannies having their coffee, but the most money came from little kids who hit up Mom for loose change because they like TS. Gotta do whatcha gotta do when the donation pail's got little more than your float.

When I was her age it was Uncle John's Band that got the most donations tossed in the case.

"I live in a silver mine and I call it Beggar's Tomb."

Fred Hayek
Fred Hayek's picture
Hat Tips: 10193
Hey, GL ,Freddie Hubbard and Ron Carter also played on this

Thanks for the two Freddie Hubbard videos.  I liked the first quite a bit. 

Your notes about who was playing what reminded me of one of my favorite pieces of music.  A friend who knows I'm not much for jazz suggested I listen to Herbie Hancock's "Empyrean Isles" disc.

Wow.

There are two or three other songs on it that I like but I could listen to this one 24 hours a day. 

Being a policeman is only easy in a police state -- Touch of Evil(1957)

Monserrat
Monserrat's picture
@57Goldtop

What an interesting story about TS. Actually my nieces love her too! Glad she doesn't have to sing Jet Plane anymore...hope she holds up. She has her own voice.

Btw: What is that line..."I live in a silver mine and I call it Beggar's Tomb."
where did it come from?

SaratogaPrepper
SaratogaPrepper's picture
Hat Tips: 5468
B.O.G.

Tis not my thread, it's for everyone. I had just hoped that those who stack also, as I do, love music. I have always enjoyed A.I.M., just wish I had a creative bone in my body. My one creation "The Rock" was pretty bad.

If I had my choice in life, I'd be a blues guitarist.

Be excellent to each other.

57Goldtop
57Goldtop's picture
Monserrat

It's from the Dead, at the risk of going all non-classical on y'all. About 2:30

Monserrat
Monserrat's picture
@57Goldtop

Thanks 57Goldtop! I'll have to look up those lyrics and listen again. So then I can really hear the song better. That line is very powerful...honestly I'm not that familiar with the Grateful Dead but I do love this song..
Who doesn't?

Btw is your name related to a Gibson. So you play. And that's music. That's what matters. I dunno if this thread is about classical music-- that's what I responded to as Mr. Saratoga set the tone. I promise the group however I won't post arias. Well maybe one or two. So I was teased mercilessly as a teen. Kids would ride their Schwinns by the house and hoot and holler! Hahaha. Actually they were on the brink of rather good tones! The truth is no one understands your inner room but you. For me? Singing Italian Art Songs at 13 was an escape to the 1700's. Or singing an Oratorio was another type of hymn. There is at times a stuffy mentality in really just about everything not just classical music...but that intellectual approach has little to do with artistry. Artistry to me is essentially an inner evolution...a continuum of growth and maturity in a chosen endeavor be it music or carpentry or well anything. Discipline and knowledge gives a refinement to one's emotional field. To begin complex. To end. Simple.

Thanks for sharing.

Monserrat
Monserrat's picture
Saratoga. Love Leadbelly.

Saratoga. Love Leadbelly. What is " the Rock"?
Green Lantern--the Chinese flute... Lovely. Have you heard the erhu? There's Moon Over Erquan Pond on Youtube.

Still haven't listened to Strauss. Geez. See you all in a few. Must finish my research because if I get caught up in music I forget everything else.
Truly.

Green Lantern
Green Lantern's picture
Er Hu.  Yeah, I want one. 

Er Hu.  Yeah, I want one.  Beautiful instrument!! Only two strings.

Herbie Hancock's "Empyrean Isles" - Classic!!

What business does a 7 year old girl from Norway have singing blues and jazz like Billie Holiday? When I was 7, I was still figuring out how to pee in the bowl.

Green Lantern
Green Lantern's picture
Trivia I Was Married By A

Trivia

I Was Married By A Jazz Guitarist

A. Is the name of Michael Myers prequel to "So I Married an Axe Murder" ?

B. The Name of Herbie Hancock's new autobiography?

C.  A true story based on Green Lanterns real life story

If you guessed C, then YOU win what's behind curtain #1. 

What can I tell ya.  I called George Benson, but he was in Europe.  I called Rodney Jones and he was going on stage with Manhattan Transfer and I said I'll make this quick.  I know you can play the blues, but are you free to marry me in two weeks?  You can't make shit like this up.

57Goldtop
57Goldtop's picture
Erhu

A classmate of my young'n appeared on stage at the final high school performance with an erhu and she proceeded to melt the entire front half of my head. I rushed out my video camera and filmed it, right until my bride gave me a look of horror at the camera angle I was getting from front row center, ahem. Cello posture without the instrument for concealment. Anyhow, the kid's gone off on a scholarship with the instrument.

And the Tibetan singing bowl has suddenly popped up all over the place in my life. Is it perhaps because of a broad spiritual awakening, with 24% of the population suddenly trying to align their chakras? Dunno, but that's some crazy sh!t when you're in a resonant space and start having 7 or 8 different tones resonating in different parts of your body. Makes the shavasana pretty intense. Perhaps a whole new insight into "comfortably numb", since it's supposed to be a sublime state of oneness with the universe...

GL, I'm just assuming you've covered the singing bowl here in the past and I wasn't paying attention? Seems to fit with your worldly experience?

Green Lantern
Green Lantern's picture
@57  I see you are man of the

@57  I see you are man of the world with an open set of ears!  And that would make sense from what I know about your music and the level of success you've achieved in your field.  Great musicians never stop growing and never stop  listening the expression of music from varied cultures.   Coltrane played with the shakuhachi and was inspired by eastern philosophy.  Sting is obviously inspired by AFrican, Middle eastern influences and plays a start of the art Mbira which is from Zimbabwe.  

Looks like you can peer into my soul.  Not sure I've ever posted about singing bowls but I do have three tibetan singing bowls and a quartz crystal singing bowl.  They are indeed extremely healing in many ways.  For the layman, inducing an extreme relaxation response might be sufficient.   Musically, they can serve as a drone for an improviser to play on top of.  

I have a friend who is a "music therapist"  I think he calls himself a sound healer.   He owns one of these crystal bowls and the sound is astounding.http://www.crystalsingingbowls.com  Some of them are mixed with different precious stones or precious metals and the combination of a specific tone and specific vibration of metal or stone does have profound effects and the combination directs the healing effect.   Ok, I know this all sounds foo foo, and new agey but I even had a dentist play tuning forks before drilling.  No question that sound and music are profound ways to change consciousness.  

I understated my appreciation for the Er Hu.  It is one of the most expressive instruments in the right hands.  Rivals the great cello and violinists. 

A collegue of mine just recorded different world flutes accompanied by crystal bowls.   

Introduction to the Er Hu  From House of Flying Daggers one of my favorite soundtracks written Tad Dunn

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Syndicate contentComments for "Turdville Performing Arts Center"