Turdville Performing Arts Center

216 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Sun, Nov 9, 2014 - 8:06pm
SaratogaPrepper
-
Saratoga Springs, NY

Turdville Performing Arts Center

Just felt there a was need for somewhere to share your favorite music and videos.

Sun, Nov 9, 2014 - 8:19pm
Fred Hayek

For those who normally don't like classical

I like quite a bit of classical music but there's some for which I don't much care. And talking to some folks who don't like classical, there seemed to be a good overlap of the classical I don't like and the stuff they disliked most -- passionless, soulless chamber music.

Well, the opposite of that, powerful classical music that even those least inclined to like classical might like is this:

Brahms' 4th Symphony

Brahms Symphony 4 - Carlos Kleiber / VPO (audio)

I think I've always thought I might see this music used in a movie but I've never heard it used, probably because no one ever filmed events powerful enough to merit this music.

Being a policeman is only easy in a police state -- Touch of Evil(1957)
Sun, Nov 9, 2014 - 8:36pm
SaratogaPrepper
-
Saratoga Springs, NY

Winter is coming

I was never much into classical music until I developed tinnitus a few years ago.

Anyone who has tinnitus can tell you, there is nothing worse than trying to fall asleep in a quiet room. Now I have my clock/radio play an hour of a classical station out of Albany as I fall asleep. Works like a charm.

ANTONIO VIVALDI - L 'Inverno (Winter - full version )
Be excellent to each other.
Sun, Nov 9, 2014 - 8:56pm

Nice debut Hayek.   

Nice setup Saratoga and Nice debut Hayek. Classical music fan here. Brahms will do the trick

I hope Rachmaninov Piano Concerto #2 doesn't fit into the category as passionless and soulless. It's anything but..

Strong and Powerful just like Rachmaninov wanted it.

If you have ADD and classical music is too long, then just skip to the 3rd movement. Freakin' Angelic

https://youtu.be/DgYhcM5TB_c

Sun, Nov 9, 2014 - 11:09pm
BagOfGold
-
The Universe
XX

What happens when you get a full room of...

classical guitarists together?...Bottles of fine vintage wines are opened...glasses are filled...& refilled many times over!...Then...like a game of rock paper scissors...the guitars fly out of the cases...& one guitarist nods & says "valses Venezolanos"!...At that moment...telepathically speaking...you had better know which one to play...or you will be eliminated right from the get go!...The largest group of guitarists playing the "right one" remain...unless the wine has gotten the better of them!...That is determined when fingers slip...& then...a guitarist will gracefully drop out...However...the game continues...until there is only one lone guitarist remaining...& then the magic starts...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOlr6e4N6BU

smileysmileysmiley

Bag Of Gold

Mon, Nov 10, 2014 - 1:27am
BagOfGold
-
The Universe
XX

The one lone guitarist remaining...

& then the magic starts...

Victor Villadangos - Lodi - VIII Stagione Internazionale di Chitarra Classica

smileysmileysmiley

Bag Of Gold

Mon, Nov 10, 2014 - 2:35am
Boswell
-
L.ost A.rea, CA

Manitas de Plata

I like the sound of his name! (Plata!;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2NUQm3CzuA

​More recent...

Manitas De Plata on TV

Didn't know of him before he passed away...

Mon, Nov 10, 2014 - 2:35am
Monserrat
-
Phoenix, AZ

Oh my goodness I love

Oh my goodness I love Brahms... and this performance by Sviatoslav Richter. Piano Concerto #2 in B flat major Op. 83. This was Richter's debut performance in America. 1960 Part 1 of 5 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIN2yVTSp_A&feature=youtube_gdata_player yes! Rachmaninoff-- definitely cannot be labeled wan and passionless. Love him.

Mon, Nov 10, 2014 - 8:47pm
SaratogaPrepper
-
Saratoga Springs, NY

Sometimes you just feel like a rogue

Romantic Spanish Guitar: ROUGE - Al Marconi
Mon, Nov 10, 2014 - 9:00pm
SaratogaPrepper
-
Saratoga Springs, NY

Lonely Shepard

Video unavailable

WOW!

Mon, Nov 10, 2014 - 10:22pm

Panpipes continued

Let's talk panpipes. A very interesting subject indeed and we're look at some more musical samples. Of course, here in America, you don't hear much panpipes and they don't give them out at your local highschool. We are a fairly panless culture. But could such a simple instrument tell us anything about the UNTOLD history of the world? Intermingling of civilizations that we've been taught had no connection?

There are pre-Columbian Pan flutes that date back to 4200 bc and we find panflutes all through the America's. The panflute that SP posted is a Romanian version. They exist in different forms through out Europe including in Ancient Greece named after the God Pan and on Greek coins. 

China they call it pai xiao,

throughout the Korean Peninsula. And even on the Solomon Islands where the indigenous people of the islands play it large groups and many African panflutes have been found and even Captain James Cook collected some in his journey's.

Now take a look at the places in the America's where the panflute has found to exist. 

The archeological digs in the US go back to the Hopewllian Panpipes. 

Modern day science will tell ya that the Hopewell Tradition or Culture is a term applied diverse Native American populations inhabiting much of the Eastern Woodlands of North America between 200 BC - 500 AD. (This region spans Southeastern Canada to the Southeastern United States, and as far inland as the Mississippi River and is most commonly described as centered in the Ohio River Valley. A large number of panpipes have been found in this area, frequently as burial artifacts. I'll tell ya they weren't Native American's. They white man surprise

Now take a good look at this

The obvious question who was mining copper 200 bc-500 ad? Who had that kind of equipment to dig into the earth? 

Hint: Ask somebody from the Smithsonian, they'll give you an answer. Ask a Native American familiar with the mythology surrounding this topic they will give you another answer. For my money, I'm going with the native version of the story. The more you dig, the deeper the rabbit hole goes on this flute story. 

Vine Deloria, a Native American author, professor of law,who promoted a greater understanding of native American history said this:

"Modern day archaeology and anthropology have nearly sealed the door on our imaginations, broadly interpreting the North American past as devoid of anything unusual in the way of great cultures characterized by a people of unusual demeanor. The great interloper of ancient burial grounds, the nineteenth century Smithsonian Institution, created a one-way portal, through which uncounted bones have been spirited. This door and the contents of its vault are virtually sealed off to anyone, but government officials. Among these bones may lay answers not even sought by these officials concerning the deep past."
Mon, Nov 10, 2014 - 10:27pm

Panflute 2

Ok, enough of the conspiracy stuff through instrument history. Let's listen to some music. The zampona is the South American version of the Panflute. Unlike the European version which Saratoga posted, the Andean version is usually made out of bamboo and they prefer a more airy sound. Like the wind through the tree's. Here is a friend of mine from Peru, Indio playing a very famous song by a group called Illapu. Pampa Limara. Indio is as soulful as they come. He got his instrument from a maker in Jujay, JuJu ?? Province in Argentina but Indio couldn't help me locate the guy so I ended up getting one from some guy in Peru which wasn't as good. 

Pampa lirima

Some jazz panflute. This guy is as virtuosic as you get. It's back to Europe. 

https://youtu.be/NYzonR_4qxk

And finally, the Solomon Islands. Wild shit

Video unavailable

And that ends this enthnomusical adventure. 

Mon, Nov 10, 2014 - 10:38pm
Fred Hayek

Awesome choice GL

The sound of Rachmaninoff's 2nd piano concerto is fixed in my mind as the score of traveling in Russia. I've never been there but that association is unbreakable just the same.

I'll just suggest a couple more pieces that folks might want to give a listen to:

Death and Transfiguration by Richard Strauss

Richard Strauss - Tod und Verklärung, Op.24

And Jean Sibelius's 5th symphony

Video unavailable
Being a policeman is only easy in a police state -- Touch of Evil(1957)
Tue, Nov 11, 2014 - 3:21pm

I listened to the entire

I listened to the entire Sibelius. Haven't listened to him in a long time. I have so many CD's now in cases after I moved. It will be Herculean task to get them out again and import them in Itunes.

Sibelius Finnish, deeply connected to the nature realm. Sometimes other wordly at times. Don't know if I am ready for Strauss. 

Sibelius Violin Concerto. Sarah Chang

I would NOT go see Sarah Chang in concert for at least another ten years. No way I could sit and enjoy the music when she is wearing a dress like that. I'll buy the CD until then. 

https://youtu.be/gpS_u5RvMpM

Tue, Nov 11, 2014 - 7:53pm
murphy
-
On the Border

You never cease to amaze

You never cease to amaze with your scope and knowledge. Can't compete with that fancy classical stuff. Try the first one with surround sound in your listening room.

Video unavailable

She never looked better than this

Video unavailable

This one's for Goldtop57 ( the psuedo Warren Haynes, sorry inside joke)

Susan Tedeschi, Derek Truck (Any Day)
Tue, Nov 11, 2014 - 7:56pm
Monserrat
-
Phoenix, AZ

Too busy listening to post

Well first I must admit to GL that I own a pan flute...and a silver flute as well. All the music here is wonderful from Rogues to Brasil-- I felt a Villa-Lobos feeling listening to the guitarist--And well.... I haven't listened to Strauss yet either...maybe tonight without interruptions... So. Sarah Chang--beautiful. I'll add here this short encore piece. A somewhat erdu-esque floating in certain tones.. Jules Massenet wrote operas during the Belle Epoche-- the period in France beginning in 1870 and ending at the start of WW1. By the time he died his music was already considered old fashioned. This is Sarah Chang playing "Meditation de Thais". It is generally an encore piece. I particularly love the voicing of her violin in this--and the dynamics. Lovely. And? Those high notes probably add a few new dendrite paths too! :). Can't hurt. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss1URTJYlfQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Tue, Nov 11, 2014 - 8:09pm
Monserrat
-
Phoenix, AZ

Django Reinhardt

Tue, Nov 11, 2014 - 10:36pm

@Monserrat

Fellow flautist eh? Here is some of my world collection. A small sample. I guess you can say, I stack flutes. 

Not only does Checho make them. He can play them too

QUENA - CHECHO LIBERTANGO (ASTOR PIAZZOLLA) CHECHO CUADROS EN CONCIERTO.
Tue, Nov 11, 2014 - 10:48pm

Some late evening jazz.  One

Some late evening jazz. One of the greatest jazz albums, and very underrated. 

Freddie Hubbard playing the flugel horn like butter and Sir Hubert Laws on the flute like puffy clouds. Supported by an all star rhythm section. Ron Carter Bass, Master Jack Dejohnette on drums. Kenny Barron on fender rhodes

https://youtu.be/5qhtS_B5onw

​George Benson makes a cameo appearance on track 2. To Her Ladyship. Freddie First recorded with John Coltrane when Freddie was just a pup. 

To Her Ladyship by Freddie Hubbard (feat. George Benson)
Wed, Nov 12, 2014 - 1:12am
Monserrat
-
Phoenix, AZ

Ah! @Green Lantern

A singer Mr. Lantern! Bel Canto. Too long a story to tell! So you stack flutes! I am so delighted because I know what love you feel for them. I know that place! Each has a persona . And if the maker can play? Well what sounds! Sacred. I bought the pan flute at Central Music here in Phx..and well there is magic in that flute...I have just a few more--A native American flute and my silver one and small little pan flutes and a Brazilian whistle of some sort- ...Music takes us places and sometimes brings secret gifts. But you already know that After I retired from singing at 33, I wanted to accomplish a few more things. 1. I wanted to site read and sing Bach with ease. 2. I wanted to play a Concerto. So I could say I had given my all and accomplished my musicianship not just my vocal musicianship. In an odd way singing is not technical. You have to put your ego out of the way. You have to be clear so the breath flows. Anyway. Flute was my choice because I had the breath. Embouchure. But my my my it was very very very hard. Beauty sounds easy huh. Not so. Anyway. I worked my way through Mozart's Concerto in C with harp. And a little of D. Some Vivaldi and Le Clair. Anyway I am filled with greater respect for true dedicated flautists because of playing the flute. And? 3. I wanted to take Kung Fu because I didn't have to worry anymore about breaking my fingers. :) Now to the video. Ps: do you have a video?

Wed, Nov 12, 2014 - 1:53am
Monserrat
-
Phoenix, AZ

@GL

What a wonderful video. Pure artist. I love it! His tones. Prefer the wood really how it amplifies the breath at times and his percussive approach at the beginning and then his tone soars almost like atmospheric lift off. That near sharp but not sharp... That perfect place. A metal cannot give quite the same. Wood remembers. Oh enough of impressions. Thank you Mr. Lantern. I think I will buy one of those--quena! I just saw a lesson on embouchure on YouTube. He said 3-4 months for embouchure. This won't be easy... But nothing worthwhile is.

Notice: If you do not see your new comment immediately, do not be alarmed. We are currently refreshing new comments approximately every 2 minutes to better manage performance while working on other issues. Thank you for your patience.

randomness