Hey blabber mouth, SHhhhhhh!

82c0b907e9530faa4d1ad2fe140a747137f6f85b

And Stack ON!

Cheers, S. Rex

silverwood
silverwood's picture
Hat Tips: 1755
Outlook for New Electrical & Electronic Uses of Silver

The Silver Institute Releases Report on the Outlook for New Electrical & Electronic Uses of Silver Silver Industrial Demand Expected to Outpace Global GDP Growth Through 2016 (Washington, DC – July 31, 2014) The Silver Institute today released a report titled “The Outlook for New Electrical and Electronic Uses of Silver.” The report identifies three key potential growth areas for silver demand: flexible electronics; light emitting diodes (LEDs); and interposers. These three growth areas combined have the potential to add another 20 million ounces of silver to total demand by 2018. The report was produced by Metals Focus, the London-based independent precious metals research consultancy, on behalf of the Silver Institute. Highlights of the report include: According to Metals Focus, silver industrial demand, which accounts for over 50 percent of global demand, is expected to grow 5 percent per year from 2014-2016, outpacing forecasted global GDP growth. Within the flexible electronics sector, the report forecasts notable gains in silver use for flexible displays. Flexible displays, which incorporate silver, can be found in tablets, cell phones and e-readers. The report indicates a healthy rise in LED demand, driven by falling costs and increasingly stringent lighting energy legislation that will accelerate LED adoption, thus leading to strong growth for silver demand. Interposers that include silver could hold considerable promise for future silver demand. Interposers enable far greater functionality in the next generation of semiconductor chips. Given the greater technical demands made of interposers, glass, with the addition of silver, is being considered as an alternative material. Metals Focus maintains that should glass (and therefore silver) prevail as the interposer technology of choice, silver demand is on course to benefit. The report also examines the outlook for established end-uses, such as silver’s use in ethylene oxide (EO) production, which is a key building block chemical in the production of detergents, solvents and plastics. Silver demand in the EO sector has enjoyed near uninterrupted growth over the past 30-40 years, primarily due to the growing demand for a range of consumer and industrial products. The EO category could witness even greater silver demand, especially in the United States, with the advent of shale gas, potentially yielding new EO plants. Metals Focus also reports that silver’s use in photovoltaics for solar power installations may well surpass its previous demand peak, registered in 2011, as early as 2016-17. “With the introduction of these advanced uses of silver in the electrical and electronics category, which last year provided over 40 percent of total silver industrial demand, along with growth in established uses, we should see silver industrial demand develop even further, especially as economies grow globally,” stated Michael DiRienzo, Executive Director of the Silver Institute. The report can be downloaded free of charge at: The Outlook for New Electrical & Electronic Uses of Silver Report

silverwood
silverwood's picture
Hecla Reports Third Quarter 2014 Results

highlights;

• Total silver production of 2.9 million ounces, a 25% increase over the prior year quarter
  • Third quarter silver equivalent production of 7.7 million ounces, and 22.6 million silver equivalent ounces for the first nine months of 2014.3
  • * my input*, only 37.6% of Hecla's production was from silver, also Hecla is increasing supply of silver into falling prices as they realized a silver price of $18.53 for their silver.So with silver prices at these levels what will Hecla have to do to stay profitable?

http://investors.hecla-mining.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=63202&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1985980

brokerk22
brokerk22's picture
Hat Tips: 4214
@silverwood

The main reason hecla's metal production increased so much over the prior year is because their flagship mine was closed most of last year.  They are now just up and running close to their normal capacity with the Lucky Friday mine running at close to capacity.

zman
zman's picture
Hat Tips: 4039
supply

http://www.kitco.com/news/2014-11-19/Silver-Demand-To-Drop-In-2014-GFMS.html

"Mine supply forecast to reach a record in 2014, with output from Guatemala, Mexico, Chile and Peru rising. Mine supply is seen up 3.5% to 868 million ounces. "

"Scrap supply, is expected to fall by 14%, they said. Even with the decline in secondary supply, total supplies will rise 2.9% year over year, to 1.131 billion ounces"

Looks like the supply side is providing plenty of evidence why silver trades at $16 oz today.

JY896
JY896's picture
Hat Tips: 11780
For anyone really interested...(avert your eyes, zman)

...here is the 2014 Silver Survey published by GFMS:

http://www.mineralinfo.fr/sites/default/files/upload/documents/worldsilversurvey-2014_silverinstitute.pdf

I would call attention to a few main points, though the whole report is interesting:

-Their methodology states that the numbers they are working from a series of INTERVIEWS conducted with various players along the supply chain in a selection of countries (hence the name SILVER SURVEY). Not SILVER DATA REPORT or SILVER AGGREGATE SUPPLY/DEMAND METRICS, but 'survey'. (page 11 of PDF)

- Total LBMA OTC market volume was 2.36M tons, roughly 90 TIMES 2013 mine production. Nothing to see there, move along

- Total silver demand (according to this report) has outstripped supply EVERY SINGLE YEAR SINCE 2004. In 2013 the deficit was 113.3 tons vs. total supply of 978.1 tons, roughly 11.5%.

WRT the press release announcing the "7% drop in global silver demand", there are a few observations as well:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/11/19/silver-gfms-demand-idUSL2N0T821620141119

- The authors did not bother to break out their calculators: if you add up the 2014 demand numbers you see:

Jewelry: 189.2

Coins & Bars: 191.6

Silverware: 46.2

Industrial fabrication: 588

Physical demand (as stated in press release): 1,077

Actual sum: 1,015

For projected demand in 2014:

Jewelry: 197.9

Coins & Bars: 241.6

Silverware: 49.5

Industrial fabrication: 577.5

Physical demand (as stated in press release): 1,004.5

Actual sum: 1,066

Demand increase of 55 tons against baseline of 1,015 ==> 5.4% increase

Concurrently, the Silver Institute also seems to think that Industrial demand is increasing (see silverwood's post above):

"According to Metals Focus, silver industrial demand, which accounts for over 50 percent of global demand, is expected to grow 5 percent per year from 2014-2016, outpacing forecasted global GDP growth."

Full report in PDF form here: The Outlook for New Electrical & Electronic Uses of Silver Report

So... which is it, guys?

PS: Just saw Nick Elway beat me to the calculator -- kudos...

Turdland Jobs Forum

ancientmoney
ancientmoney's picture
Hat Tips: 27128
It seems zman's only reason to exist...

is to steer people away from silver.

I do not think this is because he cares for anyone's well-being.  He is either a banker, or paid by them to watch blogs.  He only posts when he feels a need to negate anything positive said about silver.

Just an observation.

silverwood
silverwood's picture
A valued perspective from SRSrocco on GFMS silver market report

Silver Mine Supply To Peak 2-3 Years & Drawdown Of LBMA Inventory – GFMS

Filed in MiningPrecious Metals by SRSrocco on November 20, 2014 • 3 Comments

According to GFMS, the world is expected to see a peak in silver mine supply in the next 2-3 years.  This statement including this year’s supply and demand statistics were released in the GFMS 2014 Silver Market Interim Report for the Silver Institute.

GFMS states the reason for the peak in silver mine supply is due to “current price levels maintaining production but constraining investment in new capacity.”  Basically, they are saying the current low silver price will maintain production for the meanwhile, but this has created a decline in mining investment, precipitating a peak in global silver production. In addition, they see silver scrap supply falling from 25% of total supply in 2012 to only 16% in 2014.

One striking statistic from the Silver Interim Report is the total drop-off of government silver sales.  From 2004 to 2013, net government silver sales totaled 366 million ounces.  Government silver sales hit a high in 2006 at 78.5 million oz and a low of 7.4 million oz in 2012.

World Silver Supply 2014 GFMS

However, GFMS shows in this graph (from the Silver Interim Report), that net government sales fell from 7% of total supply in 2004 to ZIP in 2014.  During the past decade, most government silver sales came from China, Russia and India.  Even though government sales were only 7.9 million oz in 2013, it looks as if this official supply has now totally dried up.

And who could blame them.  Why should China, Russia or India sell their government silver bullion into the market for peanuts while the Fed funnels its monetary stimulus through its member banks into the stock and bond markets while capping the value of commodities and the precious metals?

From their press release, GFMS states the following on world mine supply:

On the supply side, mine production is forecast to reach all-time highs in the silver industry in 2014 as supply from Guatemala, Mexico, Chile and Peru increases. This is forecast to see primary supply increase by 3.5% in 2014 to 868 Moz.

GFMS believes total global silver production will increase 3.5% over 2013 to 868 million oz in 2014.  Last year, GFMS reported world silver production at 819.6 Moz.  I gather 2013 will be revised upwards to 838 Moz.  It’s perfectly understandable to revise figures, but how could GFMS miss a whopping 20 Moz??

That being said, the most IMPORTANT FACTOR to understand from their Interim Report is the announcement of the planned peak of world silver mine supply in the next 2-3 years.  This actually makes sense if we consider not just the supply constraints coming from reduced mining investment capacity, but also the impact of peak global oil production… which also seems likely to occur in the next few years.

On the demand side of the equation, GFMS forecasts physical silver demand to fall 6.7% in 2014 compared to 2013.  They show small percentage declines in jewellery, photography, silverware and industrial application silver consumption, but a larger drop-off in physical silver bar and coin demand.

Even though GFMS estimates silver bar and coin demand to fall 20% in 2014 compared to last year, they had this to say in their press release:

Meanwhile demand for silver bars and coins has soared in recent weeks as bargain hunting retail investors returned to the silver market after a disappointing first half of the year. Nowhere is this more evident than in India where imports of silver are up by 14% year-on-year for the January to October period and set for an annual record. With imports in the first ten months totaling a massive 169 Moz many vaults in the UK, traditionally the largest supplier to India, have seen significant drawdowns, leading to more supply flowing from China and Russia.

According to the data above, if India continues to import a record amount of silver for the rest of the year, total imports may reach 200 million oz — nearly 25% of total world mine supply.  Also, Indian silver demand is so strong, the UK is experiencing a draw-down of silver inventories at the LBMA.

If Russia and China had to step in and supply silver to India as the LBMA inventories are running low, what does this mean if we see an explosion in physical silver investment demand in the future??  A draw-down of LBMA silver inventories may be the beginning sign of looming future physical delivery problems.

I believe total physical coin and bar demand will be higher than the 192 Moz figure forecasted by GFMS for 2014.  This is down 50 Moz from the high of 242 Moz in 2013.  Furthermore, I would imagine the majority of this estimated decline was in physical bar investment as official silver coin sales remain strong.

Lastly, there is a lot of hype about the Solar Power Industry becoming a huge consumer of silver in the future.  I have always stated that industrial silver demand, especially solar power demand, will not be much of determining factor in setting price in the future.  Wall Street analysts continue to regurgitate that industrial silver demand will grow for the next 5-10 years.  Hogwash.

When the peak of global oil production takes place within the next several years, this will impact Global GDP growth.  Matter-a-fact, world economic activity will contract along with the decline in global oil production.  Which means, demand for silver in industrial applications will decline as well.

AND IT ALREADY HAS…LOL.  If we look at this last chart also from the Interim Report, we can clearly see that silver demand in the Photovoltiac Market peaked in 2011 at approximately 65 Moz, and is forecasted to nearly fall in half in 2014 at 35 Moz.

Photovoltiac Silver Demand 2014F GFMS

Sure, maybe the solar power manufacturers are using less silver in their panels… so what.  It’s the overall consumption that matters.  If total silver consumption in the solar power industry is declining, then why do we still hear analysts say this will be a BIG MARKET for silver in the future???

Again, I have always stated that the future spike rise in the price of silver will not be due to industrial demand, but rather to the massive increase in physical bullion investment when the Global Paper Ponzi Scheme implodes.  This is not a matter of IF, but WHEN.

Industrial silver demand (minus photography) peaked in 2011 at 573 Moz and will decline to an estimated 530 Moz in 2014.  However, physical bar and coin demand is four times higher than what it was before the U.S. Investment Banking and Housing Market collapse in 2007 (51 Moz in 2007 & 242 Moz in 2013).

All-in-all, GFMS estimates that silver market will experience a 6 Moz oz surplus this year compared to the revised 85 Moz deficit in 2013.  I believe we may actually see a small annual silver deficit in 2014 when GFMS tallies year-end figures and publishes its 2015 World Silver Survey… come April next year.

Remember, the two most important FACTORS from the GFMS Interim Report:

1) World Mine Supply to Peak in 2-3 years.

2) Draw-down of LBMA silver inventories.

Just watch and see how these two indicators will impact the price of silver in the future.  Unfortunately, the world is not prepared for what’s coming… and very few are invested in Gold & Silver that enjoy a  2,000+ year proven track record as real money, high quality investments, and stores of wealth.

Please check back for new articles and updates at the SRSrocco Report.  You can also follow us a Twitter below:

SRSroccoReport Twitter Button

silverwood
silverwood's picture
Silver Supply & Demand Interim Report (video)

zman
zman's picture
Hat Tips: 4039
@silverwood

Good video, I suggest others watch it.

@ancient

"is to steer people away from silver"

I have never told one person to sell and I have never told anyone not to buy. I try to explain why silver trades at $16 oz today, I believe it's based on market fundamentals, you think it manipulation.

silverwood
silverwood's picture
"silver" search for USGS

U.S. Geological Survey

Search results

We're including results for silver from minerals.usgs.gov only.

Do you want to see results for silver from all sites?

Powered by Bing

[PDF] Silver - USGS

minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pubs/commodity/silver/mcs-2013-silve.pdf

147 SILVER . World silver mine production increased to a new record of 24,000 tons as a result of increased production from mines in China, ...

USGS Minerals Information: Silver - USGS Mineral Resources ...

minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pubs/commodity/silver/

Silver has been used for thousands of years as ornaments and utensils, for trade, and as the basis for many monetary systems. Of all the metals, pure ...

Statistical Compendium - SILVER - USGS

minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pubs/commodity/silver/stat/

Silver has been known and used for thousands of years. In ancient times, silver was used for jewelry, ornaments, utensils, and as a substance that ...

[PDF] SILVER - USGS

minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pubs/commodity/silver/880398.pdf

155 SILVER Events, Trends, and Issues : Domestic mine production of silver in 1997 increased by about 2% from production in 1996. Domestic consumption ...

[PDF] Silver - USGS

minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pubs/commodity/silver/mcs-2010-silve.pdf

147 SILVER . Industrial demand for silver declined modestly. In the United States, demand forsilver in photography fell to slightly more than 900 ...

[PDF] Annual Average Silver Price (Dollars per troy ounce)

minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pubs/commodity/silver/880798.pdf

141 relieved the pressure to use less silver or to use lower cost substitutes for silver in products. After starting 1987 at $5.44 per ounce, prices ...

[PDF] Silver - USGS

minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pubs/commodity/silver/mcs-2014-silve.pdf

147 SILVER . World silver mine production increased to a new record high of 26,600 tons, principally as a result of increased production from mines in ...

[PDF] Silver - USGS

minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pubs/commodity/silver/silvemcs05.pdf

151 SILVER Events, Trends, and Issues: Silver use in photography fell for the fifth successive year. The decline exceeded that of the 2 previous years ...

[PDF] Silver - USGS

minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pubs/commodity/silver/880400.pdf

SILVER—2000 70.3 owned by Hecla Mining Co., has been a producing mine since 1958. In 1991, Hecla discovered several mineralized structures containing ...

[PDF] Silver - USGS

minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pubs/commodity/silver/silvemcs07.pdf

148 SILVER (Data in metric tons1 of silver content unless otherwise noted) Domestic Production and Use: In 2006, approximately 1,100 tons of silver ...

[PDF] Silver - USGS

minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pubs/commodity/silver/880303.pdf

153 SILVER Events, Trends, and Issues: Digital imaging has become a serious threat to silver-based photographic applications. In contrast to the use ...

[PDF] Silver - USGS

minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pubs/commodity/silver/mcs-2012-silve.pdf

147 SILVER . as a replacement metal for platinum in catalytic converters in automobiles. Silver also was used in clothing to help regulate body heat ...

USGS Minerals Information: Map Data

minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pubs/mapdata/

Mine and mineral plant locations also have been incorporated into the USGS Mineral Resources On-line ... Silver Tellurium Thorium Tin Titanium Metal ...

[PDF] Silver - USGS

minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pubs/commodity/silver/silvemcs96.pdf

153 SILVER Events, Trends, and Issues: Domestic silver production remained essentially unchanged from the previous year, despite a slight improvement ...

[PDF] Silver - USGS

minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pubs/commodity/silver/silvemcs06.pdf

Silver ions embedded in clothing help regulate body heat and odor. Silver is also being used in manufactured products such as washing machines that ...

[XLS] Silver

minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pubs/commodity/silver/myb1-2006-silve.xls

T8 T7 T6 T5 T4 T3 T2 T1 Text SALIENT SILVER STATISTICS1 2002 2003 2004 United States: Mine production: Quantity metric tons thousands Refinery ...

[PDF] SILVER [ADVANCE RELEASE] - USGS

minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pubs/commodity/silver/myb1-2010-silve.pdf

SILVER—2010 [ADVANCE RELEASE] 68.3 infections, and silver-based disinfectants have been introduced as a low-cost, environmentally sensitive option for ...

[PDF] S IL VER - USGS

minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pubs/commodity/silver/880497.pdf

SILVER1997 69.1 S IL VER By Henry E. Hilliard In 1997, domestic mine production of silverincreased for the third consecutive year. About 76 mines in ...

[PDF] SILVER [ADVANCE RELEASE] - USGS

minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pubs/commodity/silver/myb1-2011-silve.pdf

Silver—2011 [ADvANCe releASe] 68.1. S. ilver. By Deborah A. Kramer. Domestic survey data and tables were prepared by Jesse J. Inestroza, statistical ...

[PDF] Silver - USGS

minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pubs/commodity/silver/mcs-2011-silve.pdf

silver flatware, and germanium added to silver flatware will make it tarnish resistant. Nonsilver batteries may replace silver batteries in some ...