Active Public Thread Comments

275 posts / 0 new
Last post
Lamenting Laverne
Lamenting Laverne's picture
Hat Tips: 4189
Active Public Thread Comments

In my opinion one of the great strengths of TFMR, apart from Turd's posts and the articles from the guest posters, is that it serves as a running news aggregator, a personal insight- and learning sharing venue and a place where people from all over the world can share their general thoughts.

This thread is intended to be the continuation of the public thread comment section. Here you can post comments to the active public thread, post links to the latest news and share your thoughts on same.

Since this thread is now in a forum format, which will not change, when the public threads are changed, please make sure to initiate you comment with a link to the public thread you are commenting on.

While it is encouraged that you stay reasonably on topic with the current public threads - this is also intended to function as the go to place for any thoughts that are not readily categorized under the other topic specific forums. 

This forum comment thread format may actually be an improvement as it is not as likely we will have the repeated posts and news links on several different threads, as we did before, and we may even get less fragmented discussion because comments to the public threads are now can be compiled in one place. Lets see if and how this works ;-)

Lamenting Laverne
FIRST!!!!!!

Comment to: https://www.tfmetalsreport.com/blog/6310/pig-headed-ignorance-courage-conviction-why-im-thrilled-own-gold-silver

My very first FIRST ;-) Pining - once again an excellent post. The reference to SilverIsMoney's post hit home with me too. The mechanism he describes is proof that Gold is the ultimate store of wealth seen over a long period of time - and the only way it can be so, is because the big boyz use Gold for this purpose too ;-) 

Pining 4 the Fjords
Pining 4 the Fjords's picture
Hat Tips: 43172
Great idea LL!

And thank you very much!  I am always cognizant that my examples are US centric, so I'm glad that a UK reader thought this was at least somewhat worthwhile.  

Regarding the UK, I would be interested if UK Turdites have an opinion whether the BoE allowing direct trade settlement with China might signal a bit less dollar-supportive stance than we have previously seen?  The lead article on epsilon theory.com now is quite good, he is wondering if we will start to see more major independent moves from CB's like the BoJ devaluation- a bit more "every man for himself" approach... Just wondering.

sierra skier
sierra skier's picture
Hat Tips: 2654
All New

Great post Pining. I am all new to checking out the forums to comment though I have visited to read on occasion.

Having the same number of ounces as I have had before the latest slam still gives me comfort knowing they are here and in hand. Spot is down and premiums are up so those buying ar not saving a whole lot on ASEs, Maples, etc. They are saving on rounds and bars though for a wonderful to increase one's stack at on sale prices.

I do agree with many of Turd's feelings about moving comments to the forums as the public side had become repetitive, spammed with much name calling and folks pi$$ing on each others legs. I think I will have a better handle on what I decide to read over the old format for comments.

Lamenting Laverne
@ Pining

I am not actually a UK reader, but I think that there are changes afoot in London for sure. And why wouldn't there be. They have to adapt to new realities, if London wants to retain its status as an important financial hub. 

Also, about a year or maybe a year and a half ago, there was a central banker (I think), who wrote that the coalition of CB's was now history and that it was now, as you say, every CB for itself. I think it was at the beginning of the first Japanese QE.

I have also noted that the messages have been a bit mixed with regards to geopolitical stance. Particularly back when there was the discussion on whether to bomb or not to bomb ISIS in the "broad" coalition. One day the UK did not want to participate, and the next day Cameron came out with blazing guns stating that the UK simply had to participate in this coalition. And then silence again. Confusing to say the least.

Bugzy
Bugzy's picture
Hat Tips: 10562
I may be spending less time here in future

However, Canada is now the first country in the Americas to bypass the US Dollar and deal directly with China.

http://www.660news.com/2014/11/08/new-china-canada-deals-could-prove-beneficial-for-alberta/

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/video/china-currency-deal-120739661.html

Check out the comments from the second link.

USD RIP

Edit: and Rioja probably puts you in Spain Lavern?

murphy
murphy's picture
Hat Tips: 18284
@LL

I'm in, nice thread  idea. Very  much like the old blogspot  setup.

edit, Pining just read your posting. Well done sir. I think I shall refer to you as Dr, make me Feelgood, from this point on.

Lamenting Laverne
@ Bugzy - less time

in Canada or on TFMR? If it is the latter, now don't you go and wander off into the shadows without at least leaving me an contact email or sumpting ay? Where else would I get my regular dose of pure unadulterated freedom advocacy and poetry ;-)

@ Murphy - Super! Glad you think so.

@ Sierra Skier - That is why we should try and keep it clean here. I would also suggest that if people decide to play along and use this space to comment on public posts, that we try to post news links like Bugzy just did - a link with a qualifying remark or a short snippet - and not with entire article copied into the message.

Marchas45
Marchas45's picture
Hat Tips: 24417
Great Idea LL

Hopefully more people will see these posts on the Forums and contribute positively. I feel for the ones that can't afford the fee to be in the vault but I'm glad we can help people with advise  or opinions no matter if we agree or not, here on these topics pages. Great, Keep Stacking

Lamenting Laverne
@ Marchas - Thank you

For me this is not only about whether people can afford to pay for the subscription or not, although that surely plays a part too. Obviously catering primarily to subscribers is a very important part of the balance, because Turd has a shop to run, and it does not run itself, so of course he has to look after the business interests of this site.

However, another part of the balance is that some of what makes this site so special is the community sharing information on all sorts of topics so freely among the participants. This is still possible in the forums and that is why I have proposed this thread. To enable continuation of that great tradition among those who prefer, as a matter of principle, to post some of their thoughts on the current threads and news on the outside of the paywall. 

Turd is clearly walking in large enough shoes to allow for both, and I think we should be very thankful for that. It is a symbiosis - and as long as the comment threads do not degrade into complete bickering and spam - I believe it is a mutually beneficial relationship between the business objectives and the altruistic information sharing objectives. This is in my humble opinion only - and that is all I have to say about that.

The forums are available as a courtesy of our host - to make it stay that way - lets try and keep it clean, civil and interesting. 

Karankawa
Karankawa's picture
Hat Tips: 6770
@ Lamenting & treefrog

Glad you looked into the quail project.  Here is a good article comparing quail to chickens.  http://floridahillbilly.com/coturnix-quail-for-homesteaders/#more-8084

As for gardening, my ground here is clay so I brought in 8" of topsoil in 2007.  Given what I've learned since, I would do seperate raised beds instead of my 20 X 30, total raised bed.  I've been growing things without synthetic fertilizer and amending the soil with whatever I could find.  This year after incorporating the quail and rabbit compost my production has been much better than years past, mainly because I've been more serious about it.  I still believe lack of nutrients have been my biggest issue

I'm growing most everything I can on 8' and 10' high trellises, which were only incorporated this year and they've worked out well.  I haven't kept any records or done any study on pounds/sq foot so can't help there.  While I had plenty to eat throughout the Summer, I didn't produce a significant amount to can.  I'm considering expanding my gardening "space" by using growbags.  Lots of information on them here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/larrylhall/videos  No weeding and easy to water.  Between the quail, rabbits, and garden I'm hoping to supply 80% of my own food.  I've always kept a supply of seeds thinking that if TSHTF I'd just grow a garden, I didn't count on the learning curve required to be successful.

@ treefrog.  Starting an email post to you soon as I finish this one.

PS.  Thanks for setting up this forum Lamenting.  I didn't know how I was going to get back to you.

"Propaganda does not deceive people; it merely helps them to deceive themselves."

question
question's picture
Hat Tips: 3396
Thank You Lamenting Lavern

for starting this forum.

Feels just like home but w/out the bickering kids ;-)

Learn to behave

SteveW
SteveW's picture
Hat Tips: 9630
Gold always wins?

Great idea LL. Nice to see Pining back with an excellent eloquent post. I've copied what follows from the other side.

Regarding Pinings post quote from SilverIsMoney.

We purchased our house in August 1980 and while gold has increased by a notional 1.82X the house is ahead a notional 7.89X. But then we are in the Vancouver housing bubble(?) and if I recall correctly 1980 was a special time for gold and interest rates.

EDIT: Our prior house from 1973 has seen a nominal 15X increase while gold has increased 11X.

“Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend.”
― Albert Camus

SilverRunNW
SilverRunNW's picture
Hat Tips: 4222
"This is dedicated to all you faithful precious metal Warriors!"

http://www.gold-eagle.com/article/gold-silver-we-are-worst-several-days-bottom

From Ron Rosen:

"This long, disheartening, dismaying, giant correction is just about over. There have been four bull moves after each occasion that the price of gold touched the quarterly rising trend-line. Each bull move was greater than the previous bull move. The last bull move was $1,242.70. The next bull move should prove to be much greater than $1,242.70. "

JY896
JY896's picture
Hat Tips: 11780
I thought we could start a new thread to discuss each post...

...but this is a MUCH better idea. Just bookmark the thread, and everyone is all set! Thanks, LL!

And yes, this is very much reminiscent of the old blogspot -- all we need are the bookshelves...

PS: The banner ad at the bottom of the thread said 'CIA Exposes the Fed for Creating Economic Collapse', with a picture of an open-mouthed Fellen... LOL... What kinds of sites have I been visiting?

Turdland Jobs Forum

Occasnltrvlr
Occasnltrvlr's picture
Hat Tips: 2866
Update On Deagel

Apologies if this was already covered somewhere.  Deagel added a long note.  Their startling prediction stems from their anticipation of migration, due to collapse of the western financial system.

http://www.deagel.com/country/forecast.aspx

The verb tense is the tell.  They are telling us.

Bugzy
Bugzy's picture
Daft question

With Canada not having to use USD for trade with China, who loses?

Surely it is only the exchanging institution which misses out of their cut. CAD to USD to RMB.

Is this say JPM or other bank? Why does the USD lose status in this regard?

A computer entry and skimming a margin. How is the USD less desirable in this regard? Does one need to hold USD in order to actually do this?

Say Canadian gov wants to buy from China. Surely it just sends CAD to JPM who accept this and they send RMB to China. China sends goods.

What am I missing? Been buried in study all day so brain a bit tired. Am I looking at this wrong?

Bugzy
Bugzy's picture
Now this is interesting

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/why-america-s-economy-has-taken-flight-162722132.html

Not the article - but read the comments section. Just when we thought the sheeple believed gov stats. They are far more awake than I previously gave them credit for.

I suspect more folk will be turning to Gold - Gulp, we are not as fringe as we thought we were.

Spartacus Rex
Spartacus Rex's picture
Hat Tips: 13797
@ Bugzy

Stop hat tipping yourself, you'll go blind. laugh

Cheers, S. Rex

Bugzy
Bugzy's picture
Too late

I have a Braille hat tip key on my computer. I have wondered for years if it actually worked, thanks for the feedback. 

Spartacus Rex
Spartacus Rex's picture
Hat Tips: 13797
Braille hat tip key

post-6001-0-28986000-1395519968.gif

Cheers, S. Rex

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Syndicate contentComments for "Active Public Thread Comments"