26619 posts / 0 new
Last post
Thu, Nov 8, 2018 - 8:28pm
sierra skier
-
ID

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg Will Retire from the US Supreme Cour

It looks like Donald Trump will be appointing another Justice to the Supreme Court. That is if the new House doesn't impeach him first as I guess that is a priority for them.

https://www.smobserved.com/story/2018/09/27/politics/justice-ruth-bader-ginsburg-will-retire-from-the-us-supreme-court-in-january-2019/3658.html

By Stan Greene
Observer Staff Writer

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg Will Retire from the US Supreme Court in January, 2019

Speaking privately, a law clerk sasy the Justice's Cancer has come out of remission

Share   Tweet 7 Comments

November 9, 2018

While the Nation is preoccupied with the appointment of Judge Brett Kavanaugh to replace Justice Anthony Kennedy, it appears there will soon be another vacancy on the US Supreme Court

U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg has had a re-occurrence of malignant melanoma, she has told her law clerks. Ginsburg was treated in 1999 for colon cancer and had surgery in 2009 for pancreatic cancer.

She has told key Democratic members of the Senate about her medical condition, including randing Democratic member of the Judiciary Committee Dianne Feinstein. This explains in part the "take no prisoners" attitude of the Democrats during the Kavanaugh nomination, carefully orchestrating weak 37 year old allegations against Kavanaugh by Women he barely remembers knowing in High School and College.

Kavanaugh is a player in this drama. He's in the wrong place at the wrong time . President Donald J Trump will be replacing Notorious RBG, the lovechild of the left, and so will remake the Supreme Court for a generation. The Democrats simply must win back the Senate in November 2018, progressives feel.

Ginsburg, 85 was appointed by President Bill Clinton and took the oath of office on August 10, 1993. She is the second female justice (after Sandra Day O'Connor) of four to be confirmed to the court (along with Sonia Sotomayor and Elena Kagan, who are still serving). Following O'Connor's retirement, and until Sotomayor joined the court, Ginsburg was the only female justice on the Supreme Court. During that time, Ginsburg became more forceful with her dissents, which were noted by legal observers and in popular culture. She is generally viewed as belonging to the liberal wing of the court. Ginsburg has authored notable majority opinions, including United States v. Virginia, Olmstead v. L.C., and Friends of the Earth, Inc. v. Laidlaw Environmental Services, Inc.

Ginsburg was born in Brooklyn, New York, to Russian Jewish immigrants. Her older sister died when she was a baby, and her mother, one of her biggest sources of encouragement, died shortly before Ginsburg graduated from high school. She then earned her bachelor's degree at Cornell University, and was a wife and mother before starting law school at Harvard, where she was one of the few women in her class. Ginsburg transferred to Columbia Law School, where she graduated tied for first in her class.

Following law school, Ginsburg turned to academia. She was a professor at Rutgers School of Law and Columbia Law School, teaching civil procedure as one of the few women in her field. Ginsburg spent a considerable part of her legal career as an advocate for the advancement of gender equality and women's rights, winning multiple victories arguing before the Supreme Court. She advocated as a volunteer lawyer for the American Civil Liberties Union and was a member of its board of directors and one of its general counsels in the 1970s. In 1980, President Jimmy Carter appointed her to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, where she served until her appointment to the Supreme Court.

Fri, Nov 9, 2018 - 10:13am
sierra skier
-
ID

So the Folks in the bar Shooting

So the Folks in the bar during the shooting in Thousand Oaks, Ca.,,,,,,,, 50-60- of them were also at the Las Vegas shooting last year. Go Figure, and what are the odds of this without both being a false flag with paid participants?

'Hit twice': Group that survived Las Vegas massacre was at California bar shooting

The comments say it all.

Fri, Nov 9, 2018 - 4:50pm
sierra skier
-
ID

Chinese ‘gait recognition’ tech IDs people by how they walk

So License plate readers, facial recognition and NSA snooping isn't enough a person's 'gait' and body stature is now the new target of cameras mounted everywhere. Privacy is rapidly becoming a thing of the past.

https://apnews.com/bf75dd1c26c947b7826d270a16e2658a

Chinese ‘gait recognition’ tech IDs people by how they walk

By DAKE KANGNovember 6, 2018

1 of 10

In this Oct. 31, 2018, photo, Huang Yongzhen, CEO of Watrix, demonstrates the use of his firm's gait recognition software at his company's offices in Beijing. A Chinese technology startup hopes to begin selling software that recognizes people by their body shape and how they walk, enabling identification when faces are hidden from cameras. Already used by police on the streets of Beijing and Shanghai, “gait recognition” is part of a major push to develop artificial-intelligence and data-driven surveillance across China, raising concern about how far the technology will go. (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein)

BEIJING (AP) — Chinese authorities have begun deploying a new surveillance tool: “gait recognition” software that uses people’s body shapes and how they walk to identify them, even when their faces are hidden from cameras.

Already used by police on the streets of Beijing and Shanghai, “gait recognition” is part of a push across China to develop artificial-intelligence and data-driven surveillance that is raising concern about how far the technology will go.

Huang Yongzhen, the CEO of Watrix, said that its system can identify people from up to 50 meters (165 feet) away, even with their back turned or face covered. This can fill a gap in facial recognition, which needs close-up, high-resolution images of a person’s face to work.

“You don’t need people’s cooperation for us to be able to recognize their identity,” Huang said in an interview in his Beijing office. “Gait analysis can’t be fooled by simply limping, walking with splayed feet or hunching over, because we’re analyzing all the features of an entire body.”

Watrix announced last month that it had raised 100 million yuan ($14.5 million) to accelerate the development and sale of its gait recognition technology, according to Chinese media reports.

Chinese police are using facial recognition to identify people in crowds and nab jaywalkers, and are developing an integrated national system of surveillance camera data. Not everyone is comfortable with gait recognition’s use.

Security officials in China’s far-western province of Xinjiang, a region whose Muslim population is already subject to intense surveillance and control, have expressed interest in the software.

Shi Shusi, a Chinese columnist and commentator, says it’s unsurprising that the technology is catching on in China faster than the rest of the world because of Beijing’s emphasis on social control.

“Using biometric recognition to maintain social stability and manage society is an unstoppable trend,” he said. “It’s great business.”

The technology isn’t new. Scientists in Japan, the United Kingdom and the U.S. Defense Information Systems Agency have been researching gait recognition for over a decade, trying different ways to overcome skepticism that people could be recognized by the way they walk. Professors from Osaka University have worked with Japan’s National Police Agency to use gait recognition software on a pilot basis since 2013.

But few have tried to commercialize gait recognition. Israel-based FST Biometrics shut down earlier this year amid company infighting after encountering technical difficulties with its products, according to former advisory board member Gabriel Tal.

“It’s more complex than other biometrics, computationally,” said Mark Nixon, a leading expert on gait recognition at the University of Southampton in Britain. “It takes bigger computers to do gait because you need a sequence of images rather than a single image.”

Watrix’s software extracts a person’s silhouette from video and analyzes the silhouette’s movement to create a model of the way the person walks. It isn’t capable of identifying people in real-time yet. Users must upload video into the program, which takes about 10 minutes to search through an hour of video. It doesn’t require special cameras — the software can use footage from surveillance cameras to analyze gait.

Huang, a former researcher, said he left academia to co-found Watrix in 2016 after seeing how promising the technology had become. The company was incubated by the Chinese Academy of Sciences. Though the software isn’t as good as facial recognition, Huang said its 94 percent accuracy rate is good enough for commercial use.

He envisions gait recognition being used alongside face-scanning software.

Beyond surveillance, Huang says gait recognition can also be used to spot people in distress such as elderly individuals who have fallen down. Nixon believes that the technology can make life safer and more convenient.

“People still don’t recognize they can be recognized by their gait, whereas everybody knows you can be recognized by your face,” Nixon said. “We believe you are totally unique in the way you walk.”

___

Associated Press video producer Olivia Zhang contributed to this story.

Sat, Nov 10, 2018 - 7:37am
sierra skier
-
ID

The Economy Does Not Care Who Won The Midterm Elections

The full read at the link below.A different view on the elections and the 'why' things don't always go the way they should.

https://www.alt-market.com/articles/3569-the-economy-does-not-care-who-won-the-midterm-elections

The Economy Does Not Care Who Won The Midterm Elections

Wednesday, 07 November 2018 14:10 Brandon Smith

Over the past few weeks I received numerous requests from readers to publish my predictions on the outcome of the midterm elections, but I did not do so for a couple of reasons. First and foremost, I view the election process very differently from many people. I do not see it as legitimate in the slightest, therefore my predictions of the past have been based not on voter turnouts, polls or any other such nonsense.  Elections are molded events, framed under the false pretense that the Left/Right paradigm in politics is real. As far as the upper echelons of politics are concerned, the paradigm is completely theatrical.

To be sure, the average American does lean either “left” or “right” on the political spectrum. Such divisions are a natural part of social discourse. However, political theater is designed in most cases to drive citizens away from centrally shared principles of freedom and equal opportunity (not equal outcome) and push them to the far ends of the spectrum toward extremism and zealotry. And to be clear, there is no “good” form of zealotry.

Zealots are not self-aware, and they never subject their own positions to scrutiny. They operate on pure assumption that they are divinely correct in everything they do, and anyone who disagrees with them, even in the slightest, is an enemy that must be destroyed by any means necessary. Zealotry is the root of human atrocity. Zealots are a tidal wave of war and genocide. They are a cancer on the soul of mankind.

Certain groups of people within the establishment, namely globalists that desire total centralized control of every aspect of economy and society, prefer that the public remain as radicalized and divided as possible. For them, zealotry is an asset.

To pursue this goal, they purchase allegiance from politicians through various means, including financial favors, media favors and campaign contributions. There are very few people left in politics that are not part of “the club.” Both Democrat and Republican leaders are essentially on the same side — the globalist side. They attack each other with rhetoric, but when it comes down to actual policy and action, they are all very similar.

The outcome of elections is therefore erroneous in the long term. Their only purpose is to manipulate public psychology to a certain reactionary end game.

When I predicted the election of Donald Trump in 2016 many months before voting commenced, I did so based on which election outcome better served the interests of globalists. I concluded with the highest certainty that Donald Trump would “win” based on the same premise that drove me to predict the success of the Brexit vote in the U.K.; that premise being that the globalists would allow “populists” (conservatives) to gain an illusory foothold on political power, only to then collapse the global economy on their heads and blame them for the disaster.

At the time it was unclear whether Trump would play along with the globalist narrative of conservatives as “selfish bumbling villains.” Today, with his consistent relationships with banking elites and globalist think-tank members, it is obvious that Trump intends to play the role he has been given. Trump’s policy actions the past two years indicate that he is following a model very similar to the one Republican President Herbert Hoover used just before the crash of 1929. Trump was a perfect choice for the globalists.

So, the question I had to ask in terms of the midterm elections is, what outcome best serves globalist interests this time? The only conclusion I could come to in this instance was — it didn't matter who wins the midterms. The globalists will get their economic crash regardless and conservatives will still be blamed.

The ultimate outcome turned out to be mixed, with Democrats taking the House and Republicans holding the Senate.  The assertion in the mainstream being that this will result in "political gridlock".  In terms of stock markets, the reaction is not surprisingly euphoric, as it has been not long after almost every election event.  But there are many that assume this is a euphoria that will last.  This is a narrow view of the situation that ignores economic reality.

Sat, Nov 10, 2018 - 4:44pm
sierra skier
-
ID

Florida at center of explosive post-election fight,

Questions of fraud are beginning to spread concerning the elections and these truck loads of ballots coming in from who knows where. Hit the link for the full article.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/florida-at-center-of-explosive-post-election-fight-as-new-arizona-senate-tally-gives-edge-to-dem

Florida at center of explosive post-election fight, as new Arizona Senate tally gives edge to Dem

Gregg Re

By Gregg Re | Fox News

closePost-election fight gains steam in Florida

A midterm election season that appeared quite settled Tuesday night has suddenly entered a bitterly contested overtime, with Arizona’s Senate candidates locked in a tight race and trading the lead as votes trickle in – and Florida reprising its 2000 role as the center of a ballot-counting brawl complete with armies of lawyers and allegations of local corruption.

In Arizona, Democratic candidate Kyrsten Sinema suddenly took a narrow 9,600-vote lead over GOP opponent Martha McSally late Thursday, with some 400,000 votes left to count in a closely watched race that will determine the size and influence of the Republican Senate majority in January.

That was after McSally had consistently led Sinema since Election Day, and was ahead by 17,000 votes as of early Thursday.

18 percent of votes remain uncounted in Arizona Senate raceVideo

And while Georgia, too, hosts a war of words over the contested outcome of the state’s gubernatorial contest, Florida has captured the political world’s attention as both sides accuse the other of trying to “steal” the election, with an airtight Senate and gubernatorial race on the line.

Sun, Nov 11, 2018 - 8:40am
sierra skier
-
ID

You just Can'r Make this Stuff Up

So now our real ages come into consideration depending on how our bodies ages are determined by physicians compared to the norms.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46133262

Dutchman, 69, brings lawsuit to lower his age 20 years

Emile Ratelband

Emile Ratelband described himself as a "young god"

A Dutch "positivity trainer" has launched a legal battle to change his age and boost his dating prospects.

Emile Ratelband, 69, wants to shift his birthday from 11 March 1949 to 11 March 1969, comparing the change to identifying as being transgender.

"We live in a time when you can change your name and change your gender. Why can't I decide my own age?" he said.

A local court in the eastern city of Arnhem is expected to rule on the case within four weeks.

However officials were sceptical about the case, believing there was no legal mechanism allowing a person to change their birth date, local reports said.

One of the judges wanted to know what would become of the 20 years that Mr Ratelband wanted to erase. "Who were your parents looking after then? Who was that little boy?" he was quoted as saying.

'Making the most of life'

Mr Ratelband argues he feels discriminated against because of his age, and that it was affecting his employment chances and his success rate on the dating app, Tinder.

"When I'm 69, I am limited. If I'm 49, then I can buy a new house, drive a different car. I can take up more work," he said.

Image caption Mr Ratelband believes changing his age will improve his chances on dating app Tinder

"When I'm on Tinder and it says I'm 69, I don't get an answer. When I'm 49, with the face I have, I will be in a luxurious position."

Mr Ratelband further argued that according to his doctors he has the body of a 45-year-old, and described himself as a "young god".

He went on Facebook last year to describe how he had made the decision one day standing in front of a mirror, not because he feared getting old but because he wanted to make the most of life for as long as possible.

He also said he would renounce his pension if he switched his birth date.

The Netherlands' constitution expressly prohibits employment discrimination on the basis of age.

Sun, Nov 11, 2018 - 8:45am
sierra skier
-
ID

Operation Choke Point Abuse

This operation to have banks not handle questionable business transactions of targeted business classifications shows signs of much wider spread abuse than ever thought. https://www.forbes.com/sites/norbertmichel/2018/11/05/newly-unsealed-doc... point/#6c60d1bc1191 Newly Unsealed Documents Show Top FDIC Officials Running Operation Choke Point Norbert Michel Norbert Michel Contributor Policy I follow the evolution and devolution of monetary and financial policy Washington Dc: FDIC United States Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation sign on wall of building with logo on 17th street in evening night closeup. Credit: Getty royalty free. Last week brought new revelations regarding Operation Choke Point, the Obama administration’s effort to freeze politically disfavored businesses out of the financial system. Rep. Blaine Luetkemeyer (R-Mo.), who helped lead a multi-year effort to shut the program down, highlighted some of theses newest findings and pointed out that stopping Operation Choke Point is not a partisan issue. Luetkemeyer’s legislation to prevent a redo of Choke Point – The Financial Institution Customer Protection Act of 2017 – overwhelmingly passed the House, with only two nay votes. Operation Choke Point was an egregious affront to the rule of law, so it is good to see that so many lawmakers want to prevent a repeat. For those unfamiliar, Choke Point consisted of bureaucrats in several independent federal agencies taking it upon themselves to shut legal businesses – such as payday lenders and firearms dealers – out of the banking system. Given the nature of the U.S. regulatory framework, this operation was easy to pull off. Officials at the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC), for instance, simply had to inform the banks they were overseeing that the government considered certain types of their customers “high risk.” The mere implication of a threat was enough to pressure banks into closing accounts, because no U.S. bank wants anything to do with extra audits or investigations from their regulator, much less additional operating restrictions or civil and criminal charges. Banks are incredibly sensitive to any type of pressure from federal regulators, and they know that the regulators have enormous discretion. The new revelations are quite scary because they show exactly what federal regulators can do with that discretion – even to law-abiding citizens. As Rep. Luetkemeyer points out: In one example of blatant intimidation, a bank terminated its relationship with a legal business after threats from the FDIC. The bank eventually surrendered to the pressure, and when the bank notified the FDIC of the decision, they admitted that a risk assessment showed the business “pose[d] no significant risk to the financial institution, including financial, reputation, and legal risk,” yet they still terminated the banking relationship. For years, Office of the Comptroller of the Currency officials have continually denied any wrongdoing, yet in the newly-unsealed documents we see proof of a conscious decision to work in conjunction with the FDIC against payday lenders. In fact, the evidence suggests that the highest-ranking officials at the FDIC were involved in Choke Point. For instance, on page 5, the following facts are revealed: Read the rest of the story at the link above.
Sun, Nov 11, 2018 - 10:02am
AGXIIK
-
reno, NV

OPERATION CHOKE POINT

Another phrase is financial deplatforming.  If your business requires a banking relationship that involved taking payments by credit card, pay pal and the like, whether through a store front merchant or internet sales, the bank can deplatform your business by refusing to allow payments for certain goods or services.   

The list is long and includes the usual suspects, guns and ammo, weed, natural health products and precious metals. The 1984 version of deplatforming can include both the buyer who's social media profile is analyzed to determine if that person or business can or should be allowed to buy a good or service or a business can or be allowed to sell a specific good or service.

AGXIIK

Sun, Nov 11, 2018 - 3:53pm
sierra skier
-
ID

Global GDP Still Propped Up By A Massive Amount Of Debt

It takes far more dollars to create a dollar increase in GDP than one might imagine. The complete article on the link below.

https://srsroccoreport.com/global-gdp-still-propped-up-by-a-massive-amount-of-debt/

Global GDP Still Propped Up By A Massive Amount Of Debt

Posted by in Economy, News on November 9, 2018 — 17 comments

While the government agencies and economists continue to publish strong GDP figures, they seem to overlook how much debt it took to produce that growth.  Or should I say, the “supposed growth.”  The days of adding one dollar of debt to get one dollar of GDP growth have been long gone for more than 40 years.  And, as global debt has increased, it has forced governments to lower interest rates.

Yes, it’s really that simple.  I get a good chuckle when I hear analysts talk about rising interest rates to 10-15%.  If the U.S. Government interest rate on the Treasury Bonds increased to just 5%, Uncle Sam would be paying over a trillion dollars a year just to service the debt.  So, no… we aren’t going to see 10-15% rates again.

Well, we could… but, most of the global debt would have to collapse or be forgiven.  Unfortunately, if global debt vaporizes or is forgiven, then the entire economy collapses as well.  We must remember, GDP growth is also driven by oil production growth.  There is no way in HADES that the oil industry can fund future production with 10-15% interest rates.  IT JUST AIN’T GONNA HAPPEN.

Why?  If it weren’t for the Fed dropping rates down to nearly zero, the Great U.S. Shale Oil Ponzi Scheme and the six million barrels per day of unprofitable shale oil production would have been a pipe dream.  I can assure you that the shale oil industry could not fund operations or service their debt with 10-15% interest rates.

Most shale oil companies are paying on average between 4-5% interest to service their debt.  If the companies’ interest rates double or triple, then it would make it extremely difficult to service the shale industry debt that is estimated to be $280-$300 billion.

However, this article isn’t about the about the Great U.S. Shale Ponzi Scheme; rather it’s about the global debt bubble propping up the economy.

Global Debt Increased More Than Five Times The GDP Q1 2018

According to data from the IMF and the Institute of International Finance, global debt increased four times more than the GDP growth during the first quarter of 2018.  The IMF forecasts Global GDP to reach $84.8 trillion in 2018 and the Institute of International Finance reported total world debt increased by $8 trillion in the first quarter of 2018.  Thus, I estimated that Q1 2018 GDP growth was $1.3 trillion, one-quarter of the $5 trillion increase from last year.

So, the world is now adding an astonishing six dollars of debt for each dollar of GDP growth:

Now, this is just an estimate as the quarterly GDP dollar figures aren’t released, but the debt is still rising at least fives times more than the GDP.  It is quite amazing to see the global debt increase at such a rapid rate.  The following chart (courtesy of Bloomberg), shows how much the global debt has grown over the past 15 years.  However, since Q1 2008, global debt has jumped by more than $70 trillion.

Thus, the average annual global debt increase is approximately $7 trillion.  So, to see world debt balloon by $8 trillion in the first quarter of 2018 shows just how much more the Central Banks are motivated in propping up the markets.

On the subject of Central Banks, the U.S. Government continues to rack up its public debt which has now reached $21.7 trillion… up $1.2 trillion since the same period last year.  As I have mentioned, rising debt and interest rates forces Uncle Sam to pay a great deal more to service the debt:

Now that the U.S. Treasury has to pay more than a half trillion just to service its debt, I hardly doubt the Federal Reserve is going to allow rates to rise above 3% anytime soon.  According to the TreasuryDirect.gov, the interest expense of $31.7 billion paid for October jumped by a stunning 30%, compared to $24.4 billion during the same month last year.

Even though $7 billion of additional interest expense in one month doesn’t seem like much compared to the trillions of debt being added, it adds up to a lot of stuff:

$7 billion = 30,000 homes (valued at $232,000)

$7 billion = 200,000 cars (valued at $35,000)

$7 billion = half annual Global Silver Mine supply

And again, this is just the additional U.S. Government interest expense for one month.  Unfortunately, Americans have become oblivious to the staggering amount of debt in the system.  Furthermore, the public and investors are also immune to the tremendous volatility taking place in the markets.

Sun, Nov 11, 2018 - 5:43pm
sierra skier
-
ID

Mercator Misconceptions: Clever Map Shows the True Size of Count

When we look at a map of the world on a flat surface it is distorted and the northern countries are much larger than they are in actuality. This article shows how big these distortions truly are.

Mercator Misconceptions: Clever Map Shows the True Size of Countries

Nick Routley

on November 9, 2018 at 10:00 am

mercator projection true size of countries

Source

Mercator Misconceptions: Clever Map Shows the True Size of Countries

Maps are hugely important tools in our everyday life, whether it’s guiding our journeys from point A to B, or shaping our big picture perceptions about geopolitics and the environment.

For many people, the Earth as they know it is heavily informed by the Mercator projection – a tool used for nautical navigation that eventually became the world’s most widely recognized map.

Mercator’s Rise to the Top

With any map projection style, the big challenge lies in depicting a spherical object as a 2D graphic. There are various trade-offs with any map style, and those trade-offs can vary depending on how the map is meant to be used.

In 1569, the great cartographer, Gerardus Mercator, created a revolutionary new map based on a cylindrical projection. The new map was well-suited to nautical navigation since every line on the sphere is a constant course, or loxodrome.

Geographic Inflation

The vast majority of us aren’t using paper maps to chart our course across the ocean anymore, so critics of the Mercator projection argue that the continued use of this style of map gives users a warped sense of the true size of countries – particularly in the case of the African continent.

Mercator’s map inadvertently also pumps up the sizes of Europe and North America. Visually speaking, Canada and Russia appear to take up approximately 25% of the Earth’s surface, when in reality they occupy a mere 5%.

As the animated gif below – created by Reddit user, neilrkaye – demonstrates, northern nations such as Canada and Russia have been artifiically “pumped up” in the minds of many people around the world.

True size of countries animation Mercator

Greenland, which appears as a massive icy continent in Mercator projection, shrinks way down. The continent of Africa takes a much more prominent position in this new, correctly-scaled map.

Despite inaccurate visual features – or perhaps because of them – the Mercator projection achieved widespread adoption around the world. This includes the classroom, where young minds are first learning about geography and forming opinions on relationships between countries.

Getting Reacquainted with Globes

Google, whose map app is used by approximately 150 million people per month, recently took the bold step of overlaying their map onto a globe. This change sidesteps projection issues completely and displays the world as it actually is: round.

Greenland’s projection is no longer the size of Africa.

– Google Maps team

As people become more accustomed to equal area maps and seeing the Earth in its spherical form, misconceptions about the size of continents may become a thing of the past.

Mon, Nov 12, 2018 - 4:04pm
sierra skier
-
ID

Provisional Ballot Boxes Discovered Inside AVIS Rental Car At Ft

Of course we just lost those provisional ballot boxes, not a worry, eh. To view the pictures and whole article use the link below.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-11-12/provisional-ballot-boxes-discovered-inside-avis-rental-car-ft-lauderdale-airport

Provisional Ballot Boxes Discovered Inside AVIS Rental Car At Ft. Lauderdale Airport

Profile picture for user Tyler Durden

by Tyler Durden

Mon, 11/12/2018 - 11:14

Provisional ballot boxes from the Broward County Supervisor of Elections Office were reportedly discovered in the back of an AVIS rental car at Fort Lauderdale Airport on Sunday night, as first reported by investigative journalist Laura Loomer.

View image on Twitter

Richard DeNapoli @RichardDeNapoli

At the Fort Lauderdale airport where box labeled “provisional ballot box” discovered at Avis rental agency @realRyanNicol @Fla_Pol

789  7:06 PM - Nov. 11, 2018

Attorney and Broward GOP State Committeeman Richard DeNapoli says he received a call from an AVIS employee informing him of the found ballot boxes after sheriff's deputies were initially unwilling to investigate. Approximately 20 minutes after receiving the tip, however, a heavy police presence arrived and blocked off traffic to the airport, and a bomb threat was announced.

Mon, Nov 12, 2018 - 6:05pm
sierra skier
-
ID

Provisional Ballot Boxes Discovered Inside AVIS Rental Car At Ft

OOPS, duplicate

Best to click the link below for the full read.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-11-12/provisional-ballot-boxes-discovered-inside-avis-rental-car-ft-lauderdale-airport

Provisional Ballot Boxes Discovered Inside AVIS Rental Car At Ft. Lauderdale Airport

Profile picture for user Tyler Durden

by Tyler Durden

Mon, 11/12/2018 - 11:14

Provisional ballot boxes from the Broward County Supervisor of Elections Office were reportedly discovered in the back of an AVIS rental car at Fort Lauderdale Airport on Sunday night, as first reported by investigative journalist Laura Loomer.

Attorney and Broward GOP State Committeeman Richard DeNapoli says he received a call from an AVIS employee informing him of the found ballot boxes after sheriff's deputies were initially unwilling to investigate. Approximately 20 minutes after receiving the tip, however, a heavy police presence arrived and blocked off traffic to the airport, and a bomb threat was announced.

Mon, Nov 12, 2018 - 7:13pm
AGXIIK
-
reno, NV

Vote Early Vote Often

Even if it Hertz

Because at Avis, they try harder

Sorry  I could not help myself

AGXIIK

Mon, Nov 12, 2018 - 11:25pm
HappyNow
-
Canada

Mercator projection

NBC nightly news used to have a decent global map as the background behind the news anchors in the 60’s and probably 70’s too.

No idea how or why that stopped but you can see it here in the 30 rock spoof.  

https://www.newscaststudio.com/2012/04/27/30-rock-spoofs-nbc-news/

Either you’re too young to remember, or didn’t realize the value of looking at the globe that way then.  Doubt it’s any conspiracy by extreme northern or southern countries though.

Swing trade indexed ETFs. Long physical gold, silver, and 1 miner.
Tue, Nov 13, 2018 - 1:00am
sierra skier
-
ID

I do Remember that Map

Yes on the news it was the backdrop. The Mercator projection was noted by my teacher as in comparison to the globe we had in class s.o I was familiar with the distortion by my early teens.

Tue, Nov 13, 2018 - 9:52am
sierra skier
-
ID

Sunspot Triggers Naval Mines

Now this incident was a long time ago, but just an example of what a strong solar wind can do.

https://spaceweather.com/archive.php?view=1&day=09&month=11&year=2018

Friday, Nov. 9, 2018

What's up in space     

CHANCE OF GEOMAGNETIC STORMS: A large hole in the sun's atmosphere is facing Earth, sending a stream ofsolar wind toward our planet. Estimated time of arrival: Nov. 10th. NOAA forecasters say there is a 55% to 60% chance of minor G1-class geomagnetic storms when the stream arrives. High-latitude sky watchers should be alert for auroras tomorrow night. Free: Aurora Alerts.

A BLAST FROM THE PAST (WARTIME SPACE WEATHER IN VIETNAM): On Aug. 2nd, 1972, giant sunspot MR11976 began to explode. For the next 2 days it unleashed a series of X-class flares, causing deep radio blackouts on Earth and punishing the solar panels and onboard electronics of satellites in Earth orbit. One CME (cloud of plasma) rocketed across the sun-Earth divide in only 14.6 hours--a record that still stands today. Resulting geomagnetic storms sparked auroras so bright, they cast shadows in countries as far south as Britian.

Above: Images of giant sunspot MR11976 from the Paris Observatory. [more]

The 1972 solar storm is legendary at NASA because it occurred in between two Apollo missions: the crew of Apollo 16 had returned to Earth in April and the crew of Apollo 17 was preparing for a moon landing in December. If the timing had only been a little different, astronauts could have been sickened by radiation, requiring an emergency return home for medical attention.

Turns out, it's legendary in the Navy, too. According to a research paper just accepted for publication in the journal Space Weather, declassified Naval archives reveal an extraordinary explosion in the sea lanes near Vietnam: "On 4 August (1972) TF-77 aircraft reported some two dozen explosions in a minefield near Hon La over a 30-second time span...Ultimately the Navy concluded that the explosions had been caused by the magnetic perturbations of solar storms, the most intense in more than two decades."

Above: A magnetogram from Manilla reveals unusual disturbances on Aug. 4-5, 1972. [more]

The authors, led by Delores Knipp of the University of Colorado, continue: "Aerial inspections revealed additional evidence of detonations elsewhere along the coast. The wartime memoirs of a US Navy Mineman-Sailor, Chief Petty Officer Michael Gonzales,state: 'During the first few weeks of August, a series of extremely strong solar flares caused a fluctuation of the magnetic fields, in and around, South East Asia. The resulting chain of events caused the premature detonation of over 4,000 magnetically sensitive [mines].'"

This prompted the Navy to fast-track the replacement of magnetic-influence-only mines with mines that also required seismic or acoustic triggers during periods of high solar activity.

The August 1972 storms affected Earth in ways that are are only now being fully understood almost 50 years later. Moreover, Knipp and colleagues say the storms could be a previously-unrecognized example of an extreme Carrington-class event, and they urge further scrutiny. Given the experience of the US Navy, who can argue? Read the original research here.

Tue, Nov 13, 2018 - 9:55am
NW VIEW

Thankful?

I remember very well when the local fire department would bring a basket of fruit and candy to our home,  during the holidays. All of the needy families qualified and there were many.  In those days, we were always thankful for even the little things of life. 

We were thankful that some of us finally had an inside bathroom or even a bathtub or shower. We were thankful that we could find odd jobs to buy just the basics. We were thankful for hand me downs, a used bike or an old baseball mitt.   We were thankful as we wanted to leave poverty and any help was a wonderful event. We all worked, having jobs in high school and college. I know we must have slept sometime.

Today, there is a huge lack of being thankful.   The young expect all things, free everything, programs to meet their needs, while they scan their I-phones. 

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Romans 1:21

“Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.” 

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I quickly notice when I meet someone who is "thankful" and not one who thinks they are entitled.     Jim

NW VIEW >>>1 Cor. 1:18
Wed, Nov 14, 2018 - 7:33am
sierra skier
-
ID

Bitcoin Mining Takes Three Times More Energy Than Gold Mining -

This can't be good for the cryptos, especially the amount of carbon generated by the mining process and this doesn't even include the cooling process for the servers doing the mining.

https://www.kitco.com/news/2018-11-12/Bitcoin-Mining-Takes-Three-Times-More-Energy-Than-Gold-Mining-Study.html

Bitcoin Mining Takes Three Times More Energy Than Gold Mining - Study

Anna Golubova

Anna Golubova agolubova[at]kitco[dot]com ( ) Monday November 12, 2018 21:42

Kitco News

Share this article:

Bitcoin Mining Takes Three Times More Energy Than Gold Mining — Study

(Kitco News) - It takes three times as much energy to produce one dollar’s worth of bitcoin than one dollar’s worth of gold, according to a new research study.

More specifically, it requires seventeen megajoules of energy to digitally mine one dollar's worth of bitcoin versus five megajoules needed to physically mine the same value in gold, said the report titled ‘Quantification Of Energy And Carbon Costs For Mining Cryptocurrencies’.

Other cryptocurrencies, including ethereum, litecoin, and monero, also require higher amount of energy than real gold. The timeframe for the study was between January 2016 and June 2017.

“As an average of all days from 1 January 2016 to 30 June 2018, to generate US$1, we estimate that Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin and Monero mining required 17, 7, 7 and 14 MJ [megajoules], respectively. In comparison, we estimate that mining aluminum, copper, gold, PGMs and REOs required 122, 4, 5, 7 and 9 MJ [megajoules] to generate US$1,” the study said.

The study also warned that the estimated energy needed for mining cryptocurrencies is likely at the lower end of the spectrum because processes like cooling crypto-mining equipment were not part of the calculations.

The research also stated that the energy consumption behind crypto-mining is projected to only increase from here on out.

“While the market prices of the coins are quite volatile, the network hashrates for three of the four cryptocurrencies have trended consistently upward, suggesting that energy requirements will continue to increase. During this period, we estimate mining for all 4 cryptocurrencies was responsible for 3–15 million tonnes of CO2 emissions,” the study said.

The research paper, which was published in the first week of November by The Nature International Journal of Science, was compiled by Max Krause, a research engineer at the Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education, and Thabet Tolaymat, environmental engineer with the Environmental Protection Agency.

By Anna Golubova

For Kitco News

Thu, Nov 15, 2018 - 12:00pm
NW VIEW

Bug Out location hot cakes!

Our new bug out home, 25 miles from the big city, has many benefits.  We noticed a busy fast food  chain, about 7 miles from our home and it is usually packed with customers.  There is about three other places to eat within the 7 mile radius. 

We stopped by, early this morning, and witnessed either 'inflation or deflation", and now understand why there are so many customers.  Three hot cakes are 89 cents and coffee is only one fiat dollar.  The older crowd cannot fix it at home for that price. However, not the best thing to be eating every day.    Jim

NW VIEW >>>1 Cor. 1:18
Fri, Nov 16, 2018 - 10:28am
sierra skier
-
ID

Fake fingerprints can imitate real ones in biometric systems – r

So nothing is sacred an more as our fingerprints can be regenerated. The full story at the link.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/nov/15/fake-fingerprints-can-imitate-real-fingerprints-in-biometric-systems-research

Fake fingerprints can imitate real ones in biometric systems – research

DeepMasterPrints created by a machine learning technique have error rate of only one in five

Alex Hern

@alexhern

Thu 15 Nov 2018 01.01 EST Last modified on Thu 15 Nov 2018 04.38 EST

Shares

DeepMasterPrints fingerprints Generating MasterPrints for Dictionary Attacks via Latent Variable Evolution

An image from the New York University paper, DeepMasterPrints. Photograph: Philip Bontrager

Researchers have used a neural network to generate artificial fingerprints that work as a “master key” for biometric identification systems and prove fake fingerprints can be created.

According to a paper presented at a security conference in Los Angeles, the artificially generated fingerprints, dubbed “DeepMasterPrints” by the researchers from New York University, were able to imitate more than one in five fingerprints in a biometric system that should only have an error rate of one in a thousand.

The researchers, led by NYU’s Philip Bontrager, say that “the underlying method is likely to have broad applications in fingerprint security as well as fingerprint synthesis.” As with much security research, demonstrating flaws in existing authentication systems is considered to be an important part of developing more secure replacements in the future.

In order to work, the DeepMasterPrints take advantage of two properties of fingerprint-based authentication systems. The first is that, for ergonomic reasons, most fingerprint readers do not read the entire finger at once, instead imaging whichever part of the finger touches the scanner.

Crucially, such systems do not blend all the partial images in order to compare the full finger against a full record; instead, they simply compare the partial scan against the partial records. That means that an attacker has to match just one of tens or hundreds of saved partial fingerprint in order to be granted access.

Notice: If you do not see your new comment immediately, do not be alarmed. We are currently refreshing new comments approximately every 2 minutes to better manage performance while working on other issues. Thank you for your patience.