St. Louis & Ferguson, Missouri attack on media

305 posts / 0 new
Last post
Strongsidejedi
Strongsidejedi's picture
Hat Tips: 11801
St. Louis & Ferguson, Missouri attack on media

This thread is started to assemble information related to alt-media coverage to the situation in St. Louis/Ferguson Missouri.

This video speaks for itself.  It was taken last night and apparently shows the media under assault by police opening fire with non-lethal but very damaging sound weapons and directed energy weapons.  The police then continue the assault with firing of weapons into the unarmed crowd (said to be "rubber bullets") and then tear gas and other aerosolized weapons are unleashed.

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 05:01
Strongsidejedi
Strongsidejedi's picture
Washington Post reporters arrested for not stopping reporting?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/in-ferguson-washington-post-reporter-wesley-lowery-gives-account-of-his-arrest/2014/08/13/0fe25c0e-2359-11e4-86ca-6f03cbd15c1a_story.html?hpid=z1

Now that Jeff Bezos owns WaPo, it will be interesting to see how this old news print publication adjusts to the new media.

This situation could be the start of a new generation of reporting that is alot different than the slow and stagnant reporting that was formerly status quo.

That was the case Wednesday. My phone was just about to die, so as I charged it, I used the time to respond to people on Twitter and do a little bit of a Q&A since I wasn’t out there covering the protests.

As I sat there, many armed officers came in — some who were dressed as normal officers, others who were dressed with more gear.

Initially, both Ryan Reilly of the Huffington Post and I were asked for identification. I was wearing my lanyard, but Ryan asked why he had to show his ID. They didn’t press the point, but one added that if we called 911, no one would answer.

Then they walked away. Moments later, the police reemerged, telling us that we had to leave. I pulled my phone out and began recording video.

---

“Go another way,” he said.

As I turned, my backpack, which was slung over one shoulder, began to slip. I said, “Officers, let me just gather my bag.” As I did, one of them said, “Okay, let’s take him.”

Multiple officers grabbed me. I tried to turn my back to them to assist them in arresting me. I dropped the things from my hands.

“My hands are behind my back,” I said. “I’m not resisting. I’m not resisting.” At which point one officer said: “You’re resisting. Stop resisting.”

That was when I was most afraid — more afraid than of the tear gas and rubber bullets.

As they took me into custody, the officers slammed me into a soda machine, at one point setting off the Coke dispenser. They put plastic cuffs on me, then they led me out the door.

I could see Ryan still talking to an officer. I said: “Ryan, tweet that they’re arresting me, tweet that they’re arresting me.”

He didn’t have an opportunity, because he was arrested as well.

The officers led us outside to a police van. Inside, there was a large man sitting on the floor between the two benches. He began screaming: “I can’t breathe! Call a paramedic! Call a paramedic!”

Ryan and I asked the officers if they intended to help the man. They said he was fine. The screaming went on for the 10 to 15 minutes we stood outside the van.

“I’m going to die!” he screamed. “I’m going to die! I can’t breathe! I’m going to die!”

Eventually a police car arrived. A woman — with a collar identifying her as a member of the clergy — sat in the back. Ryan and I crammed in next to her, and we took the three-minute ride to the Ferguson Police Department. The woman sang hymns throughout the ride.

---

During this time, we asked the officers for badge numbers. We asked to speak to a supervising officer. We asked why we were being detained. We were told: trespassing in a McDonald’s.

“I hope you’re happy with yourself,” one officer told me. And I responded: “This story’s going to get out there. It’s going to be on the front page of The Washington Post tomorrow.”

And he said, “Yeah, well, you’re going to be in my jail cell tonight.”

Once at the station, we were processed, our pockets emptied. No mug shots. They removed our restraints and put us in a holding cell. Ryan was able to get ahold of his dad. I called my mom, but I couldn’t get through. I couldn’t remember any phone numbers.

We were in there for what felt like 10 or 15 minutes. Then the processing officer came in.

“Who’s media?” he asked.

We said we were. And the officer said we were both free to go. We asked to speak to a commanding officer. We asked to see an arrest report. No report, the officer told us, and no, they wouldn’t provide any names.

I asked if there would ever be a report. He came back with a case number and said a report would be available in a week or two.

“The chief thought he was doing you two a favor,” he said.

The Ferguson Police Department did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Lowery’s detention.

The following is a statement on the incident from Washington Post Executive Editor Martin D. Baron:

Wesley has briefed us on what occurred, and there was absolutely no justification for his
arrest.

He was illegally instructed to stop taking video of officers. Then he followed officers’ instructions to leave a McDonald’s — and after contradictory instructions on how to exit, he was slammed against a soda machine and then handcuffed. That behavior was wholly unwarranted and an assault on the freedom of the press to cover the news. The physical risk to Wesley himself is obvious and outrageous.

After being placed in a holding cell, he was released with no charges and no explanation. He was denied information about the names and badge numbers of those who arrested him.

We are relieved that Wesley is going to be OK. We are appalled by the conduct of police officers involved.

Appalled would not be my word for this.  I would call it unprofessional and illegal under US law.

Either the constitution means something, or it doesn't.  Which do you think it is?

Strongsidejedi
Strongsidejedi's picture
US Vets with military experience commenting

US Vets with military experience commenting on the equipment and tactics being used by the St. Louis County Police Department.

Some highlights are comments from veterans of Iraq, Afghanistan, and Korean DMZ stating that the St. Louis County Police Department are better equipped than the US military allows the men to carry while "beyond the wire".

The weapons being used by St. Louis County Police Department are greater than those permitted by DOD while US military were on patrol in hostile cities in Iraq and in hostile territory in Afghanistan.

The leveling of a weapon by the St. Louis Police Department would have been grounds to take disciplinary action against DOD enlisted personnel in the battle zone.  Several veterans state that they only levelled their weapons on two occasions and never opened fire.

LRAD's being used by St. Louis Police Department are more robust with more capability than the LRADs used by US DOD personnel in Iraq.

Protective gear used by St. Louis Police Department against unarmed civilians is greater in amount and capability than those given to DOD personnel in the field.

St.Louis Police Department tactics are not used by US military in the field because the St. Louis County Police Department tactics violate most of the known rules of engagement and has no apparent line of command or discipline.

https://storify.com/AthertonKD/veterans-on-ferguson

Another vet posts that the gear he had in 2005-2006 matches those of the St. Louis Police Department.

Strongsidejedi
Strongsidejedi's picture
Armor Holdings LLC of Caspar, WY

http://www.asdnews.com/news-8876/Armor_Holdings_Announces_$14.1M_Less-Lethal_Munitions_Contract_Award.htm

Armor Holdings Announces $14.1M Less-Lethal Munitions Contract Award

( JACKSONVILLE, Fla., August 7, 2006 ) - Armor Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: AH), a leading manufacturer and distributor of safety and survivability systems, tactical wheeled vehicles and vehicle armor systems serving military, law enforcement, homeland security and commercial markets, announced today that the U. S. Army Picatinny has awarded to the Company a multi-year Indefinite Delivery/Indefinite Quantity (ID/IQ) contract having a maximum value of $14.1 million to provide less-lethal munitions. The Company advised that the initial delivery order received is for $1.3 million to supply 40 mm less-lethal crowd dispersal munitions, which are used typically in riot and crowd control situations. Work will be performed beginning in 2006 at the Armor Holdings Products Group Defense Technologies facility located in Casper, Wyoming.

Robert Schiller, President of Armor Holdings, Inc., said, "We are pleased that the U. S. Army has selected Armor Holdings to provide less-lethal munitions that are needed for the conduct of peace-keeping and security missions. We believe this opportunity underscores our product diversification and demonstrates the Company's capability to deliver a wide range of product offerings to support the requirements of our military, as well as our police forces, in security operations."

Published on ASDNews: Aug 7, 2006

___

Photo on Twitter this morning on 14 Aug 2014

https://twitter.com/PDPJ/status/499310092790288384/photo/1

http://colorlines.com/archives/2014/08/10_tweets_munitions_in_ferguson.html

Strongsidejedi
Strongsidejedi's picture
Analysis of munitions being used against US civilians

Internet media going to town on this case

http://colorlines.com/archives/2014/08/10_tweets_munitions_in_ferguson.html

This details with photos the munitions fired at people.

http://www.dailydot.com/politics/anonymous-mike-brown-ferguson-dox/

This story just popped up which states that anonymous has located information on the police officer who shot Michael Brown multiple times.

Strongsidejedi
Strongsidejedi's picture
More from Wired on the transfer of military weapons to police

According to this story from Wired, military DOD armaments were transferred to local police departments.

Why?

Previously, we've never needed military level gear in local law enforcement.

It's clear that you need a well-trained force to use that gear appropriately.  More importantly, you need a highly disciplined chain of command and rules of order/engagement.

http://www.thewire.com/national/2014/08/the-pentagon-gave-the-ferguson-police-department-military-grade-weapons/376033/

AUG 13, 2014 5:29PM ET / MICHAEL BROWN SHOOTING

The Pentagon Gave the Ferguson Police Department Military-Grade Weapons

The local community of Ferguson, Missouri, may not look like a war zone, but the Pentagon has helped the police treat it like one.

According to Michelle McCaskill, media relations chief at the Defense Logistics Agency, the Ferguson Police Department is part of a federal program called 1033, in which the Department of Defense distributes hundreds of millions of dollars of surplus military equipment to civilian police forces across the U.S. 

That surplus military equipment doesn't just mean small items like pistols or automatic rifles; towns like Ferguson could become owners of heavy armored vehicles, including the MRAPs used in Afghanistan and Iraq.

"In 2013 alone, $449,309,003.71 worth of property was transferred to law enforcement," the agency's website states.

All in all, it's meant armored vehicles rolling down streets in Ferguson and police officers armed with short-barreled 5.56-mm rifles that can accurately hit a target out to 500 meters hovering near the citizens they're meant to protect. 

Unnecessary? Absolutely, says Washington Post reporter and author of Rise of the Warrior Cop Radley Balko, who told NBC's Chris Hayes the following:

The militarization itself is part of a larger trend... That is a willingness or a policy among domestic police in the United States of using more force more often for increasingly, you know, petty offenses.

Strongsidejedi
Strongsidejedi's picture
Unbelievable video of St. Louis police attacking media

http://www.ksdk.com/videos/news/local/2014/08/14/14042891/

KSDK airs raw video tape of the Al Jazeera America crew getting attacked by police.

The video not only shows the camera crew getting shot at with some sort of gas.

A "St. Charles Regional SWAT unit" is seen to roll up to the camera position.

Three police officers with drawn automatic weapons then jump out of the SWAT unit, dismantle the lighting gear, and then tilt down the video camera.

Later in the raw video footage, police officers attack the video taping camera crew.

The camera crew says, "we are fine."
But, a police officer then says,  "We don't want you here".

Then, you can hear the camera crew calling the station and informing superiors of the orders ("our live shot is cancelled"  "we have to pack up and move").

This is TOTALLY AND COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE.

The police are not in a position to tell the media when they can video tape and when they can not.

Nana
Nana's picture
Hat Tips: 13828
St Louis- Red

http://beforeitsnews.com/alternative/2014/08/haarp-status-red-alert-issued-for-east-central-usa-3011048.html

Storms for Saturday.....

Nana
Nana's picture
C&P From A Different Site

http://www.infowars.com/ferguson-riot-police-wound-reporter-in-attack-on-protestors/

***** BREAKING NEWS *****

Protesters are now assembling in JEFFERSON CITY, the capital of Missouri.

There will be a police presence in JEFFERSON CITY tonight to confront them.

This is now bigger than ST LOUIS... it is spreading to additional cities.

----

Time will tell.....

Strongsidejedi
Strongsidejedi's picture
KSDK prints report from the journalists attacked

KSDK news report by journalists in the field.

http://www.ksdk.com/story/news/local/2014/08/14/crews-hit-with-bean-bags-tear-gas/14042747/

Casey Nolen, KSDK 6:50 a.m. CDT August 14, 2014

Two KSDK-TV photojournalists and reporter Elizabeth Matthews were filing a story about the cancellation of school in the Ferguson-Florissant school district. Matthews said they reported from a Ferguson neighborhood just outside a perimeter established by police. The crew was working out of a SUV and a larger "live" van. At least one other TV crew from Al Jazeera America was also in the neighborhood working from a mini-van.

Shortly after 9 p.m., police in riot gear began dispersing demonstrators about a quarter of a mile from the crew's location. Matthews said as protesters fled the area they ran through the neighborhood about two or three at a time for a total of no more than 20.

One of the photojournalists walked to the intersection of Highmont and West Florissant where he documented what appeared to be an altercation between police and an individual they were detaining along West Florissant. About 15 seconds into his video recording, bright lights can be seen shining at his position. Approximately 30 seconds later, as he continues to record video the sound of an air rifle firing can be heard followed by a "thud."

According to the 23-year veteran of television news, a "bean bag round" hit his camera equipment, and he retreated back to his original position on Highmont.

Both photojournalists and Matthews say police never told them to leave the area prior to this incident.

Approximately five to 10 minutes later, video recorded by the other photojournalist shows police at the intersection of Highmont and West Florissant fire what appears to be tear gas at the Al Jazeera America crew station nearby. The crew of three people is set up with television lights and a camera in front of their mini-van. The video shows the apparent tear gas billowing smoke directly in front of them. The KSDK crew says the canister hit the Al Jazeera America van.

The KSDK crew says the Al Jazeera America crew was yelling, "We're the press." The Al Jazeera America crew can be seen running away from the van on video. Then two police officers can be seen taking down the crew's television lights and tilting the TV camera toward the ground.

---

From there, the KSDK crew says police approached them with "guns drawn." Matthews says she and one photojournalist were in the SUV with their hands up and the third member of their crew got down on his knees in front of the SUV and raised his hand – telling police he was with the press.

Matthews says police told them they received a call that members of the media were in danger and in need of assistance. All three members of the KSDK crew say they were never in danger and never asked for assistance.

At this point, the video shows still photographers gathered around the KSDK crew. Police tell the journalists to follow them out of the neighborhood when one person is heard saying "We're OK here." Another voice says "We don't want you here. Somebody's going to get hurt. We don't want to see you guys get hurt." The KSDK crew says that is the voice of a police officer.

The KSDK crew says the officers directed them out of the neighborhood and they complied.

KSDK has called the St. Louis County police for comment, which has not yet been returned.

Are the politicians and tax-payer paid bureaucrats in the St. Louis law enforcement community serious?  You opened fire on the TV media with tear gas and projectiles.  You then arrested two print media guys, ignored their press credentials, then detained them and then NEVER FILED charges?????

No wonder the people in St. Louis are fed up with this unprofessional and uncivil conduct!

Strongsidejedi
Strongsidejedi's picture
Assembly is a protected freedom.

It's no different than Crispus Attucks in Boston at the start of the Revolutionary War.

The right of the people to assemble is not to be infringed.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances

There is no purpose in the current government if the current government will not protect the right of the media to freedom of speech and the right of the people peaceably to assemble.

This is clearly an attempt by people to "petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

The 17 yo kid was autopsied by St. Louis law enforcement.

Where's the case file and the report?

What's the coverup about?  Why the slow response by St. Louis County PD?  Why the slow reporting on the autopsy results?  Where is the police officer's name???

These things were understood, unless there were more than one police officer firing rounds into the 17 year old's body.

This whole thing stinks to high heaven.

Nana
Nana's picture
Time Will Tell

Rumors circulating the national guard is being called up......

Nana
Nana's picture
Militarization

http://www.fromthetrenchesworldreport.com/the-militarization-of-u-s-police-finally-dragged-into-the-light-by-the-horrors-of-ferguson/100394

Nana
Nana's picture
Outsiders Causing Trouble

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2014/08/chicago-communists-new-black-panthers-infiltrate-ferguson-riots-revolution/

Nana
Nana's picture
Trial Balloon Or Start?

http://www.infowars.com/the-truth-about-the-ferguson-riots-martial-law/

They want riots, they want martial law. Ferguson is a trial balloon for the entire country.

Nana
Nana's picture
Who Now

http://rt.com/usa/180360-police-louis-policing-ferguson/

Nana
Nana's picture
Taking Control

http://mashable.com/2014/08/14/ferguson-missouri-unrest/

"Law enforcement in Ferguson will be turned over to state highway patrol," Gov. Nixon announced to a room full of reporters. Nixon said Ferguson "looked a little bit more like a war zone, and it's not acceptable."

Libero
Libero's picture
Hat Tips: 4771
Hope the police officer

who killed the kid is tried for murder.  

Strongsidejedi
Strongsidejedi's picture
Twiiter feeds from Ferguson tonight

Tonight's Twitter feeds from Ferguson show photos of a large demonstration with huge traffic in the middle of their town.  The cars are driving and cruising with hundreds if not thousands of people out on the street.

No sign of police.

And, guess what, no real trouble either.

This says something very clearly.

If governments de-militarize the police and remove the armored personnel carriers, machine guns, flak jackets, kevlar body armor, and helmets; the people are happier.

Now, I don't think the neo-cons are very happy tonight because their arms contracts with major metro PD's may have just gone up in smoke tonight.

On the other hand, for us citizens, its a good thing to have the federal government and the US Senate deliberate a resolution with withdraw the military armaments from the local law enforcement agencies nationally.

Nana
Nana's picture
Why Did TPTB Wait So Long To Release This Information?

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2014/08/photos-show-robbery-suspect-mike-brown-wearing-same-clothes-as-shooting-victim-mike-brown/

Nana
Nana's picture
Expose

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "St. Louis & Ferguson, Missouri attack on media"