A Legend is returning.

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ruffian
Ruffian's picture
Hat Tips: 12486
A Legend is returning.

I realize that most folks are generally only mildly interested in horse racing for the KY derby.

But there is a legend that I advised folks to watch on the derby undercard that day. His name is Wise Dan and he won that day like he does most the time. In fact, I'd dare say he is unbeatable at a mile. You won't make money betting him and you will lose money betting against him.

That is not what makes him special tho. He is seven and that like a human athlete being 50plus and still at the top of his game. He's been americas horse of the year for two years in a row. He also has been the first horse since John Henry in 1981 to be named older male horse of the year, champion male turf HOY as well as HOY. He's made and broken track records along the way.

That's also not what makes him so special. He has won by 17 lengths, won carrying the high weight, as much as 11lbs. He's beaten older, younger and the best from Europe. He's done in from the front, from off the pace, and by having to dig in for by a nose. Most impressively, he's done it in downpours on turf that was like quicksand. He also outlasted his competition by years. Keep in mind he's the target in every race. He's the horse everyone wants to beat. And they have tried every way you can think of.

This years he began 2-2, when he was stuck with severe colic. Fortunately, he was very close to an equine center where he under went surgery. Now a mere 8 weeks later, he's back in training and from the video I received he looks great.

Wise Dan doesn't grab your attention until you see him move. Then you can see, what I imagine his granddam sire secretariat
would have looked like racing at his age. You can see the massive hind muscles generating this fluid burst of power from the rear and his front transferring it back to the rear again.

He doesn't get the hype because like John Henry he was a slow starter and he's a gelding. Which I reckon is why he was gelded.

Many want to see him race against palace malice who is currently the best horse in the country right now. If that happens it won't until the breeders cup in the fall.

However, i for the first time ever don't care. I just want to see him return in form and once again out run, not just his competition but the wind.

If he isn't ready for the aug 9th Fourstar dave handicap, he will go to the The benard Baruch handicap on aug 30th. First starts back are always risky and after surgery and at seven. I'll be biting my nails and hoping it isn't the last time I see him. I've seen tens of thousands horses race but when wise Dan starts moving I get a knot in my throat.

On another note, the filly Untapable who I believe is the best 3yr old in the country will take on the boys in the Haskell like
rachael Alexandra did a few years back. I really don't get why the European fillies routinely run and win against the colts as part of their regular campaigns. Yet, it is a big thing here.

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 05:01
Ruffian
Ruffian's picture
A side note

An older guy asked me if I'd feel the same way about wise Dan if I had one against him.

I told him I wouldn't be stupid enough to drop mine in the box.

Pug Nuggets
Pug Nuggets's picture
Hat Tips: 292
colic

Ruffian, can you tell me just how many vaccinations are routine for these awesome horses?  Colic is like bloat in dogs, am I correct?  I believe there is a direct correlation between vaccines and the immune system, which starts in the gut. 

Thanks for the horse talk. I love them.

Pug

Ruffian
Ruffian's picture
@Pug

There is no routine amount. There are one that are mandated by law to cross state line and others that you need state to state and then ones tracks demand. However those are not the bulk of vaccines used. For example, any horse I have racing I have innoculated at least 4 xs per year for rinovirus and west Nile. There are many others I like most others have done as well. There routine schedule is somewhat different than broodmares and foals. This is a major expense. Some I can do on my own. Others must be administered by a vet and documented and must travel with the horse.

As for bloat and colic. The answer is yes and no. Both can be brought on by similar causes and fatalies are generally caused by the intestine rupturing. However, that's kinda where the similarities end.

Colic is general term for gastroinstenial discomfort in horses. It's very common and occurrs for many reasons. Dogs can vomit and horses can't. A dogs intestine can rotate 360 degrees, while a horses can 720. In both species it's important to watch for any behaviorial change and to monitor diets. In horses it's important to get the animal comfortable by pain control but avoid narcotics so symptoms don't worsen unnoticed. It's also vital in both, actually any species to make sure the volume going in is about what is coming out

Horses are particularly vulnerable because feed, supplements and even grass contain soil particles that can't be digested.
With both species the severity and treatment is best left to a trusted vet. Although, you yourself can manually palpated the abdomen for any abdominal/rectal expansion/hardness so you know if your on the right track.

If you wait until there are other visuals thar you yourself can determine such as elevated heart rate and pale gums. You have
waited too long and should be prepared for a poor outcome.

I need to add that I have addressed colic that can be treated successfully. There are many other causes such as cancer, etc that can colic is just a symptomatic from. That is another ballgame and I would almost always opt for euthanization in those cases. I do have surgical insurance on all active horses but the costs are still insurmountable and are always painful for the animal with no chance of survival.

Ruffian
Ruffian's picture
@Pug

There is no routine amount. There are one that are mandated by law to cross state line and others that you need state to state and then ones tracks demand. However those are the bulk of vaccines used. For example, any horse I have racing I have innoculated at least 4 xs per year for rinovirus and west Nile. There are many others I like most others have done as well. There routine schedule is somewhat different than broodmares and foals. This is a major expense. Some I can do on my own. Others must be administered by a vet and documented and must travel with the horse.

As for bloat and colic. The answer is yes and no. Both can be brought on by similar causes and fatalies are generally caused by the intestine rupturing. However, that's kinda where the similarities end.

Colic is general term for gastroinstenial discomfort in horses. It's very common and occurrs for many reasons. Dogs can vomit and horses can't. A dogs intestine can't rotate 360 degrees, while a horses can 720. In both species it's important to watch for any behaviorial change and to monitor diets. In horses it's important to get the animal comfortable by pain control but avoid narcotics so symptoms don't worsen unnoticed. It's also vital in both, actually any species to make sure the volume going in is about what is coming out.

Horses are particularly vulnerable because feed, supplements and even grass contain soil particles that can't be digested.
With both species the severity and treatment is best left to a trusted vet. Although, you yourself can manually palpated the abdomen for any abdominal/rectal expansion/hardness so you know if your on the right track.

Ruffian
Ruffian's picture
I have

No idea why I'm getting duplicate posts

Ruffian
Ruffian's picture
Btw pug, I'm not sure where

Btw pug, I'm not sure where you're going with the connection between, vaccines, immune systems and the gut. All systems are related to varying degrees.

I vaccinate a horse the same way people do their kids. In addition I vaccinate against other common illnesses like flu. I myself get more than one flu shot per year. I can't afford to be sick myself, let alone them. I also vaccinate for Lyme disease. There is no vaccine currently on the market for humans but there is for equines. I had Lyme disease myself a few years back. I was lucky because I got that bullets eye rash in a very visible area, my forearm. But it didn't appear for several weeks and I was sick all the time. My orthopedic surgeon didnt even attempt to treat me after he viewed my x-rays. He was horrified at the fluid volume in my knees. Worse he had no clue why. I can't even imagine trying to diagnose that in a horse. The symptoms were many and it was painful. Imagine what it feels like when you hit your shin. Thats what i woke up with everyday. I was on opiates for weeks while undergoing treatment. Thanks be that its easy to treat if diagnosed quickly and promptly. Luck was with me too because my physician went Harvard medical school and had seen the disease many times there. She was the only one who didn't think I was a nutter.

That disease was generally believed to be confined to certain geo areas. But as I found out the area has expanded vastly over the past 10 years.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "A Legend is returning."