Cuban quiz

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hammer
Hammer's picture
Hat Tips: 16208
Cuban quiz

1979 non aligned nations  1979 gold coin (Cuba)

12g 22K (91.7%)

What would you pay for this (mintage under 22,000)

34nmm3Y.jpg

T9CtB7Z.jpg

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 05:12

"I found a flaw in the model that I perceived is the critical functioning structure that defines how the world works." - Alan Greenspan, October 2008
WTF ! Now you tell us !!!

benny_bomb_boom
benny_bomb_boom's picture
Hat Tips: 1021
cuban gold

commie gold has to be worth something. right?

you've got over ⅓ oz agw so melt is about $420 then it has to come down to condition b/c 20k is not a huge mintage but still i would think has a premium of spot. i don't think i'd pay more than $500 bucks myself. … or you could look it up here http://books.google.com/books?id=tXSrLbIEDBMC&pg=PA301&lpg=PA301&dq=1979+non+aligned+nations++1979+gold+coin&source=bl&ots=t3jEAlSPnJ&sig=bOVV9i7zc3U5tCZmdhCw-AuX0_E&hl=en&sa=X&ei=MRTOU7eJGsrbiwKwlYHAAw&ved=0CCgQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=1979%20non%20aligned%20nations%20%201979%20gold%20coin&f=false

where it looks like they have a proof and a an UNC. proof books at $365 in the 6th ed.of the standard catalog of world gold coins

cool coin though hammer. thanks for sharing

no better time than now

Hammer
Hammer's picture
Cheers Benny. I had been to

Cheers Benny. I had been through the research myself before posting and noted that the price quoted on the very same link was from the 2009 book so there must be some small increase from those prices since then. This coin is interesting as the unc has only a 2000 mintage, far less than the proof version of 20,000. The fact that it is Castro commie gold also makes it liable to "trading with the enemy" rules if you are a yank in The US potentially . Indeed, eBay has recently refused to accept listings on their US site for similar  Castro era gold coins etc.

I should admit it was a loaded post as I had already purchased the coin ( and it's sister silver 20 pesos one matte proof) and they are both in the process of being professionally graded and slabbed. Fortunately, I am not affected by the rules mentioned above. P.S. I paid 540 usd for the lesser mintage unc coin, after converting from the actual currency I use....so just a smidgen over what you estimated with its matte proof sister in silver in tow.

Cheers for engaging in the thread. It is fun to look at things as a collectors' hobby. I will post again once the grading has been completed.

"I found a flaw in the model that I perceived is the critical functioning structure that defines how the world works." - Alan Greenspan, October 2008

Hammer
Hammer's picture
Just a quick update, the

Just a quick update, the coins are still being assessed (I was told it would take a month so they said I should expect a call at the beginning of next month).

(picture courtesy of The Royal Mint)

In the meantime, I picked up this little puppy FqLssOC.jpg

a 500th Anniversary 1989 Sovereign Proof (cased)

for a bargain price of 675 usd/407 gbp in a Royal Mint Box (no certificate but from a registered dealer, so all checked and detailed).

Hammer
Hammer's picture
Also picked up this puppy for

Also picked up this puppy for 110 gbp/@190 usd (normal price would be between 200-1000 gbp/330-1600 usd) depending on the grade of the coin.

as it has been holed for use on a necklace (thereby losing its numismatic worth) but it is still great fun to have such a piece of history at basically spot plus a bit.:) jG9NaCw.jpg

http://www.time-lines.co.uk/george-iv-1827-gold-half-sovereign-023897-37157-0.html

Spartacus Rex
Spartacus Rex's picture
Hat Tips: 13797
Hammer San Ichiban

How many Geishas will this buy on Okinawa today?

king-george-V-gold-sovereign.jpg

Hammer
Hammer's picture
I did :) In fact I got two if

Good question :) In fact I got two of these 1958 unc sovs the other day too so will try to let you know ;)

vugvDsZ.jpgxFLrOQb.jpg

Hammer
Hammer's picture
Hope you caught the surf in

Hope you caught the surf in Tahiti today. Watched it live - off the HOOK ! and these are just the kick outs :)

Hammer
Hammer's picture
OK, as promised, the Cuban

OK, as promised, the Cuban Coins in the first post I made here are finally back from the PCGS Grading Company.

The 1979 100 pesos gold coin was graded at MS69

Virtually as struck with minuscule imperfections, near full strike necessary

http://www.pcgs.com/grades.html

Its sister 1979 20 pesos silver matte coin was graded at PR68 Virtually as struck with slight imperfections, slightest weakness of strike allowed

Hammer
Hammer's picture
Here's the (not actual) silver sister coin

CZSNSvY.jpg

They make a nice couple and are now slabbed and graded so a nice bit of fun there. Low mintage so a nice prezzie to pass on to kids/grandkids and also a nice keepsake of Castro's time - I mean he isn't getting any younger.

Hammer
Hammer's picture
Details for the silver coin

Details for the silver coin here

http://colnect.com/en/coins/coin/38766-20_Pesos_Nonaligned_Nations_Conference-1962~Today_-_2nd_Republic_Numismatic_Product-Cuba

Spartacus Rex
Spartacus Rex's picture
Hat Tips: 13797
So Hammer...

What? Do you have something against George V? History actually matters!wink Definitely liked the George IV BTW.  Cheers, S. Rex

Hammer
Hammer's picture
I'd bite your arm off for a

I'd bite your arm off for a 1937 Edward VIII sovereign (but who wouldn't ?). They are very expensive and rare.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Cuban quiz"