Update from marcellus country

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ruffian
Ruffian's picture
Hat Tips: 12486
Update from marcellus country

After 5 years of observing cracking in Marcellus country I'm fairly certain of a few things. One well a few miles away from me that was only 3 years is dead.

One the reserves are vastly over estimated. I've seen the flames go out on more wells than I see new ones being drilled. The Feds forced me to allow a pipeline underground. I held them up for as long as I could. One thing so far I do have control over is they can't, at least not yet, force me to allow them to drill a well. They want five acres off me badly. I think because there used to be an old oil well and storage tank there from penns oil that had to be a hundred years old. They can shove their money up their arse. It's a pittance compared to devaluation of pristine farmland.

Second and more important. I don't give rats arse what the studies say or don't say. It is definitely having an effect on the soil. Even before fracking we routinely have the quality of the grass/hay tested. This is so we know soil additives are needed and what other grasses need to be planted to reach the optimum nutritional value for the animals. The year to year variant cannot possibly be explained by any whether. Nor can the failure of certain grass seeds to thrive and the low quality of those grasses.

Thirdly, I consider the natural ground springs the most valuable asset on my farm. One of my prime pastures is now a swamp. They changed the natural flow of the water and several attempts by them to correct it. I'm currently sueing them for proper correction and damages.

I am not an enviomental nut. I think greenies are fools. I truly believe green is 85% fraud and the rest is just plain common sense.

But something is very amiss in fracking country and I have no idea what it is.

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 05:17
Ruffian
Ruffian's picture
Sorry for the auto correct

Sorry for the auto correct mistakes I missed above.

Pug Nuggets
Pug Nuggets's picture
Hat Tips: 292
Ruffian@Fracking

I never post in the main street, because metals are over my head.  Horses and what they eat and what Pugs eat is what I want to learn more about, so thanks for writing, Ruffian.  I believe that big corporations are underestimating the social media, such as this site or Facebook when it comes to information.  I think they underestimate how much people care, how much people are capable of researching on their own.

Seems like our "media" a couple decades ago was directed by people who profited from advertising, and that's all we heard, unless we had grandmas or family that told us the truth.  Now it's more peer-to-peer.  I personally put more faith in what has helped/hurt a person than what a pharmaceutical company claims helps/hurts.

Ruffian
Ruffian's picture
Thx pug

I hare to say it but most people would be horrified if they knew more about what they are eating.

Naturally any diet should be tailored first to age and activity of the animal. It is also awfully important to see how the animal chews and what is dropping groom their mouths to the ground. Weather is important as well. I think most people are not aware of protien content in green plants. Some are extremely high and are used more of a snack or reward.

All of my horses like beer. I also have a few fond of hot dogs and burgers. I take all my stale cereal and let them have it. That's a big treat for them.

I'm also not fond of organic food production. Most people attempting it have no idea how dangerous it can be. Your chance of contracting ecoli is very high eating produce grown near bovine manure or with compost that hasn't been properly broken down.

Produce grown in poor soils means a product with poor nutritional value. Big produce farms scare me as do foreign imported produce. You can just wash off toxins that were sucked into the plants from the soil.

Cows pass on a lot illness to humans and other mammals. I only graze or water upstream from cows.

More importantly I do controlled burns in sections yearly and completely cover the area with heat holding tarps to kill any noxious weeds and bacteria in the soil. The follow year the soil is turned over to bring more to the surface and then covered again. Finally it will be reseeded in the third year.

Yeah it's a pain in the arse but I've never regretted doing it. Manures are great but only after proper treatment and time lapse.

I don't grow veggies for personal consumption because I don't have time. I just co-opt with farmers that do. If I did tho and it was on a small scale. I'd go with raised beds. It all starts with soil testing. Any university or the dept of agri will do so for a modest fee.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Update from marcellus country"