Healthy Food and Healthy Living

1814 posts / 0 new
Last post
Sat, Feb 22, 2014 - 1:36pm ag1969
Mrs1969
-
NH

Realhealthyrecipes.com IS a good resource

Ag, love that you are posting recipes. Now you just have to cook some of these recipes.

To defend Ag, he is great at meats and salads.

Sat, Feb 22, 2014 - 1:40pm 57Goldtop
BagOfGold
-
The Universe
XX

WOW!...57Goldtop...

57Goldtop wrote:

Silver66,

I no longer trust the wheat grown in SWO. The mill has 'organic' flour as well, but it's organically grown Frankenwheat so really no different than the rest.

I am keeping the starter alive for now but in the fridge so I only have to feed it weekly.

Will reassess in the spring.

I've always thought of you as the "Sourdough Guru"...& if you are saying that even organic wheat is Frankenwheat...then there is no safe place to hide!...Please keep us updated!!!..

Thanks for the heads up!...

Bag Of Gold

Sat, Feb 22, 2014 - 1:44pm ag1969
BagOfGold
-
The Universe
XX

ag1969...

Thanks for the link to How To Eat Healthy!!!...

Bag Of Gold

Sat, Feb 22, 2014 - 1:58pm 57Goldtop
Mrs1969
-
NH

thanks for the fermentation info

57Goldtop, thanks for the post. I'm very interested in hearing more. The prospect that I could eat bread again is exciting. Where is a good place to obtain good wild yeast or starter?

Sat, Feb 22, 2014 - 2:05pm
ag1969

Mrs69

It pleases me to no end to hear that you like my meat. Thank you.

Sat, Feb 22, 2014 - 2:21pm
redwood

57Goldtop

Only minutes away from Arva I have actually never visited but often wanted to. Now I have little incentive to go except to witness one of the oldest mills in SWO. Do you actually buy anything else there?

Sat, Feb 22, 2014 - 2:25pm
ag1969

57Goldtop

I think you will find this interesting:

Old Ways to Leaven Bread

Posted on December 18, 2011 by admin

Yeast is an item that does not store well. Even in a freezer you are limited to just a couple of years. As a result, I have been researching the alternatives. During the pioneer days they depended on baking soda, baking powder, salt rising and wild yeast also called sour dough to leaven bread.

Baking soda called saleratus in the old cookbooks was often used. Baking soda when combined with sour milk produced carbon dioxide which causes bread to rise. Stored in an airtight container and kept dry baking soda will store almost indefinitely

According to the latest research at BYU baking powder stores longer than previously thought. Samples as old as 29 years were tested and still worked.

Homemade baking powder can be made with the following recipe.

• One half teaspoon cream of tartar
  • One quarter teaspoon cornstarch or arrowroot
  • One quarter teaspoon baking soda

Mix together. It makes one-teaspoon baking powder.

Sour dough and salt rising bread...

https://preparednessadvice.com/recipes/old-ways-to-leaven-bread/#.Uwj48Y...

Sat, Feb 22, 2014 - 2:40pm
ag1969

Hmmm: What's wrong with modern wheat?

This is very interesting. Sir Goldtop's countertop science got me looking around and I found this:

How we turned an ancient food staple into toxic junk food, and what we can do about it
(Hint: For most of us, the best solution isn't going gluten-free)

Grain has been at the heart of humankind's diet for thousands of years. It is, in fact, the foundation of civilization: it cultivates easily, stores for years in kernel form (as a living seed), and is very nutritious when freshly prepared as breads and porridge. This is how grains have been consumed over the millennia: stored in whole kernel form and milled fresh, full of life and nutrients.

But something’s gone wrong.

At farmers' markets and natural food stores, we talk to hundreds of people each month about wheat. And it’s very clear to us: modern wheat is making people sick. More and more people are going "gluten-free" to fix long-standing digestion issues and they feel better. Yet, it is also very clear that there is more to this than gluten. For instance, we get many people telling us how they can't eat gluten so they eat spelt or Kamut. Yet both these ancient grains have gluten.

So what is going on? What has changed? In fact, almost everything. The way we grow it, the way we process it and the way we eat. The very wheat itself. For 10,000 years, wheat was a nutritional foundation, and nothing much did change. But since industrialization, everything has changed, and it has happened in two distinct “technology revolutions”. The first was in milling, the second in cultivation and farming. Both have had a profound effect, yet most people have no idea.

The first technology revolution:
Industrial milling, white flour and the birth of
the processed food industry

In the 1870’s, the invention of the modern steel roller mill industrialized grain milling. Compared to old stone methods, it was fast and efficient and gave fine control over the various parts of the kernel. Instead of just mashing it all together, one could separate the component parts, allowing the purest and finest of white flour to be easily produced at low cost, so every class of person in rapidly growing cities could now afford “rich people’s flour”. People rejoiced for modern progress.

And, beyond being cheap and wildly popular, this new type of flour shipped and stored better, allowing for a long distribution chain. In fact, it kept almost indefinitely. Pest problems were eliminated because pests didn’t want it. (Of course, we now know that the reason it keeps so well is that it has been stripped of vital nutrients. The bugs and rodents knew this way before we did.)

The steel roller mill became so popular so fast that within 10 years nearly all stone mills in the western world had been replaced. And thus was born the first “processed” food and the beginning of our industrial food distribution system: where vast quantities of shelf-stable “food” is produced in large factories many months and many miles from the point of consumption.

https://www.grainstorm.com/pages/modern-wheat

Sat, Feb 22, 2014 - 3:10pm ag1969
BagOfGold
-
The Universe
XX

Can I watch?...

ag1969 wrote:

It pleases me to no end to hear that you like my meat. Thank you.

I like to watch!!!...

Bag Of Gold

Sat, Feb 22, 2014 - 3:23pm
Mrs1969
-
NH

Roasted Cauliflower Recipe

Since making my made up cauliflower recipe last week, I've been thinking cauliflower needs to be a bigger part of our diet. It's a great substitute for rice, just mash it a bit and replace for rice. I haven't made the recipe below but I might try roasting a whole cauliflower with good oil,yogurt, garlic, and spices. Sounds like it might work. Cauliflower is known to be on the good list concerning pesticides so you don't even have to go organic if it's too cost prohibitive. If anyone tries this recipe or roasts a whole cauliflower, please post so we can hear about it.

https://www.purewow.com/entry_detail/national/8821/Forget-florets--roast...

Sat, Feb 22, 2014 - 3:24pm
ag1969

How Avocado Can Help with Weight Management

By Dr. Mercola

Eliminating grain carbs is one of the best and easiest ways to normalize your weight and support your health, but when you cut down on non-vegetable carbs, you need to increase your intake of healthy fats.

Avocados are an excellent source. They're especially rich in heart-healthy monounsaturated fat that is easily burned for energy, which you need more of once you start to remove those carbs.

Improved weight management is in fact one of the health benefits of avocado consumption, according to recent research, and its high-fat, low-sugar content is part and parcel of this effect.

On most days, I will add a whole avocado to my salad, which I eat for lunch. This increases my healthy fat and calorie intake without seriously increasing my protein or carbohydrate intake. Since avocados are also high in potassium, they will also help balance your vitally important potassium to sodium ratio.

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/02/22/avocado-w...

Sat, Feb 22, 2014 - 3:36pm Mrs1969
silver66

Cauliflower --Mrs1969

We went wheat free about a year and a half ago. I had posted the Wheat belly video to mainstreet. It made sense to Mrs Silver66 and me. All aches and pains disappeared.

The boss bought the wheat belly cookbook, many great recipies. There is one for pizza using cauliflower for the crust. It is excellent.

I just googled the recipe

here you go

https://www.recipegirl.com/2012/01/16/cauliflower-crust-hawaiian-pizza/

https://detoxinista.com/2012/01/the-secret-to-perfect-cauliflower-pizza-...

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/CAULIFLOWER-PIZZA-CRUST-...

Now the boss is out, so I can't confirm this is the same as the cookbook, but I think they are probably pretty close

Silver66

Silver66 Rage against the dying of the light

Sat, Feb 22, 2014 - 4:25pm Mrs1969
57Goldtop

Mrs1969 - where to get a starter

I looked all over for a place to buy starter when I decided to try sourdough after reading about it in Sally Fallon's Nourishing Traditions.

Eventually, I figured out that you have to make it yourself. It's incredibly easy if you use the Pineapple Method. Canned pineapple, not fresh.

The wild yeast is on the flour, even if it's Frankenwheat. You just need to culture it. Takes me about 6 days from start to finish, to the point where I can make bread the first time.

I'll come back to the topic in a bit - Silver66 just sent me information about a potential source of proper wheat flour (ironically just a few steps from the LCS!).

Friends... consider this: wheat was a beneficial human food for thousands of years, since about the time we started using precious metals to store and exchange value. The species didn't suddenly lose its ability to digest it. We suddenly stopped fermenting it 100 years ago. The genetic corruption came decades later I believe.

Sat, Feb 22, 2014 - 4:32pm redwood
57Goldtop

The "Mill District"

Redwood, the mill has become the Mill District, since they added a store in the parking lot with organic products. Last time I was in they had frozen organic buffalo, if that turns your crank.

The mill itself has lots of other stuff and I trust you'll be glad you checked it out. I've often bought unpasteurized honey there, and lots of different grains etc.

Sat, Feb 22, 2014 - 4:48pm silver66
Mrs1969
-
NH

Thanks for the pizza recipe

Sounds good and no grains. Wonder if it's possible to do without eggs? My little one is allergic to the most basic ingredients that are commonly found in baking or storing. No poultry, eggs, cow's dairy, citrus, celery, cranberries, peanuts, sugar, grains, and starches. Sooo difficult for him to eat "normal" foods. He's a trooper about the whole thing but regularly feels left out. He sticks to the GAPS diet basics and is thriving. His new thing is he likes to wear clothing from the GAP because it's like his diet. So cute. His 7 year old brother asked me today if he could become president. I said sure, that would be great. He said when I become president, I'll take care of this poison food thing. Little Ag1969 for president!

Sat, Feb 22, 2014 - 4:55pm
57Goldtop

Roasted Cauliflower

This is awesome but we got a good laugh out of the fancy recipe. We just stir mustard and mayo together and paint it on. Cook till it's dark like picture above.

That's one recipe I've never messed with, but I will now.

Edit: that recipe needs a longer cooking time at a bit lower temperature, imho. Try overcooking this thing a bit for better results.

Sat, Feb 22, 2014 - 5:02pm 57Goldtop
Mrs1969
-
NH

Cauliflower

Can't do mayo but I bet plain yogurt and mustard would be good. Do you eat it like the main part of your meal or is it a side dish? Wonder what herbs and spices would be best. We tend to put pressed garlic, basil, oregano, and parsley in most recipes. Maybe it could be made sweet with honey.

Sat, Feb 22, 2014 - 5:14pm
opticsguy
-
dallas, TX

White flour

From my memory (not a Wiki article) I remember that processed flour, the white stuff, came about because supposedly "whole wheat" flour 100 years ago was usually cut with sawdust, dirt off the floor, anything to rip off the consumer. I guess this was before a lb. turned into 12 oz.

White flour was a way of making sure it was only flour, and no added fillers.

Sat, Feb 22, 2014 - 5:26pm 57Goldtop
Mrs1969
-
NH

So afraid of wheat

What flour do you use with the pineapple method? Not sure I'd ever use Frankenwheat again. Causes too many negative reactions. Thanks so much for the advice. Keep it comin if you are willing. I've noticed that this is a hit or miss process for many. In my efforts to make healthy food I've ruined a lot of expensive food and wasted a lot of valuable family time. Would love to avoid baking a brick. Would also love to hear what MrsGoldtop has to say if there is one.

Sat, Feb 22, 2014 - 5:27pm Mrs1969
57Goldtop

Why not

You really can't mess up a baked cauliflower.

It can be the main dish for sure. Like last night, no kidding. The kids turned it down so we split one, with carrots as the side.

Does anybody have an artichoke recipe to recommend?