Healthy Food and Healthy Living

1814 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mon, Jan 20, 2014 - 5:02pm Silverivalist
murphy
-
On the Border

@ Silverivalist

Lol! I'm just glad you didn't enclose any pics.

I don't know what's in this stuff but it works like a charm.

https://www.pjurusa.com/Classic_Super_concentrated_Silicone_p/sef11041.htm

Then again you can't cook with it. Well not in the kitchen. Well maybe in the kitchen but definitely not on the stove.

Mon, Jan 20, 2014 - 5:17pm
silver66

ag1969- this forum is long overdue

Thanks for starting this thread. I will be asking Mrs. silver66 to join. We watched the video on Iodine.

I look forward to this forum and the knowledge I will glean from tin foil hat wearing alternative thinkers who possess above average common sense.

Silver66

Silver66 Rage against the dying of the light

Mon, Jan 20, 2014 - 5:20pm
ag1969

Silverivalist

We use a lot of coconut oil for its anti fungal properties, have not tried it for sex...yet. Maybe Mom1969 will comment on this when she gets going here

Mon, Jan 20, 2014 - 5:30pm
pm_newbie
-
NB
Canada

Great Forum!!!!

I am soooo excited I can hardly stand it. My two main interests in life, metals and health and nutrition in one place. OMG. I am gobsmacked!

I am no expert, but I have read and followed tons and tons and tons of all this over the years. Most recently I took in a 3 day webinar called the "Gluten Summit". That was in November 2013. I really loved the presentation by the lady who came up with the GAPS diet. There's so much to all this.

Health is your most valuable asset. My parents always said this growing up. It is soooo true. You can be as poor as a church mouse, but if you are in good health you can enjoy life.

I have been off sugar, dairy, gluten, soy, peanut, low quality oils (canola being the worst!) and corn (corn because it is nearly impossible to get any corn that is not GMO) for the last two months. OK.... we visited my husband's family over the holidays and my mother in law makes THE BEST perogies, so I did break down, but I also brought our veggie juicer with us, and made juice while we were there.

I can't say that I can contribute much in the way of all the background info on this topic. I've read tons and tons, but regurgitating the info is not my strength... but if I may offer.... I would probably be a good person to talk to about the "how to" since I've been cleaning up my eating for a long long time. It's been over 15 years since I've pretty much cut out sugar completely, so I know what I'm taking about. Lately I've been upping the ante so to speak on eating better and better.

It gets easier and easier and it sure helps keep the weight under control.

Mon, Jan 20, 2014 - 5:38pm
ag1969

pmnewbie

It is great to have you here. Thank you! Just like corn, 90% of the soybeans in the USA food supply are GMO. Soy is a killer.

Mon, Jan 20, 2014 - 5:39pm
pm_newbie
-
NB
Canada

coconut oil for the skin

Coconut oil is a staple in my house. Great in the kitchen, but also an amazing moisturizer. We think nothing about slathering chemicals on our bodies, but 80% of anything that's in that concoction you're rubbing on your skin goes right through your skin and into your blood stream. Think sunscreen. Yikes. I'm not saying that you need to bake in the sun and risk getting skin cancer, but seriously, how about a hat and a long sleeve shirt vs. sunscreen??

..... crap, cutting and pasting a youtube link is not working for me (I'm such a newbie to posting anything here in Turdville.... that is going to change!!!)..... Go to youtube and search for Pangea Organics, they have a great 2 min video / commercial that really illustrates what I have said above.

I make my own moisturizer with a mix of coconut oil and another oil like grapeseed, olive, or macadamia nut. It's beautiful!

the use for bedroom discussed earlier.... can't say I've tried that one...... (yet)

Mon, Jan 20, 2014 - 5:48pm
ag1969

Just like Henry Ford...

said about banking:

"It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning."

I say about food and healthcare that if the people of the nation do not understand our food supply and healthcare system, for if they did, there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.

I do not think our energies should be spent pushing GMO labeling for it involves a corrupt government. The information and food are available to those who care to look for it, we just need more people to look for it. The best way to shut down Monsanto is for everyone to be aware that they are killers, and to stop purchasing their own sickness and death.

Mon, Jan 20, 2014 - 5:50pm
ag1969

Here you go PM Newbie

Pangea Organics - Unpolluted Beauty
Mon, Jan 20, 2014 - 5:56pm ag1969
pm_newbie
-
NB
Canada

Pangea Organics

Awesome! I am really going to spend too much time here! Thanks!!

Mon, Jan 20, 2014 - 6:42pm
pm_newbie
-
NB
Canada

sweet, seductive, addictive sugar

If you are thinking of cutting back, or cutting out sugar this post is for you, read on. If you've conquered the sugar monster pat yourself on the back! Folks, if you are new to eating healthier cutting back on sugar is probably the best place to start. It is highly addictive and tough to get out of your diet but it is doable. I'll give you some pointers in a bit, but first I'd like to tell you a story to tell you want you're up against. When I was a kid growing up my dad had a drinking problem, and he was a smoker as well. It's been over twenty years now that he's been sober. Amazing, I'm really proud of him. He said that having succeeded with quitting alcohol he was ready to try to give up smoking, because he had heard that quitting smoking was tougher than quitting drinking. So he got at it and quit smoking. His strategy was that he went for a walk every time he got a craving for a smoke. There was a "loop" that he did for his walk and it was 7k (kilometers, that's 4.3 miles for our Turdites in the USA). He told me that there were some days that he did his "loop" 4 times. Wow. It worked though, and he is probably the only person I know who actually lost weight while quitting smoking. My dad just turned 69 this December. This past summer his doctor told him that he wasn't "pre-diabetic" yet, but if he didn't make some changes he would be. My dad is very active, he still walks daily, but even still this diagnosis wasn't a shock to either of us given his age, and his diet. He has a sweet tooth for sure, and he has been over the years a big coca cola drinker. Part of his personality make up I guess.... addictions.... if he likes something... he likes it (kind of like golf!). There were times when he would get up in the middle of the night to down a can of coke. Anyway, he got at it in his usual fashion and he's cut out his sugar we're both guessing by about 80 - 90%. Pretty darn impressive. Here's the big thing though. From his point of view quitting sugar was tougher than either the drinking or the smoking. It is highly highly addictive, and it's in everything. When your body craves sugar you really crave it, and you don't realize how sugar addicted you are until you cut it out. I was in my late twenties the first time I quit sugar. I already ate relatively well, I wasn't a sweet eater, so I didn't think it would be a big deal. But it was a big deal. See, quitting sugar also means quitting bread, pasta, rice, potatoes etc etc, because as far as your body is concerned these things are sugar. It also means cutting out pretty much all processed foods, because they all contain sugar in one form or another. So, if you're not used to cooking and eating vegetables, well that too is a big part of the adjustment. There's a learning curve there. I remember pacing around the kitchen wanting to grab the bag of sugar and pour it down my throat. I was so surprised. I didn't realize how addicted I was until I cut it out. It took me about 3 weeks of being up the crazy tree, and then the cravings went away. They just went away and became a total non issue. The other thing that happens that is pretty neat too is that your taste buds adjust. The taste of fruit becomes more intensely sweet and it is as much of a treat as candy used to be, and then candy becomes.... unpalatable (no joke). The thought of sugar in your coffee is repulsive. In fact ask anyone who has cut out sugar and they'll tell you that they CAN'T drink sugar in their coffee anymore. They just don't like it. It's not like you are depriving yourself, you simply don't want it. I think that's pretty cool. It gets your body back in balance and back to a more natural healthy state. For most people the studies show that this time period is two to three weeks. It is tough. Sorry, but that's just the way it is, but it's only a few weeks and then it's gone. Gone for good. Here's the other bit of insight on this if you are thinking of making this change. There's no 50% solution. It's an all or nothing deal. You can't be successful if you think that you will cut back.... because you're still giving yourself sugar and that keeps your body in a state of craving it. Period. It's like a bandaid, you've got to just rip it off and get on with it. You can do it. Give it a go. You'll be so glad you did. In my dad's case, not only is his blood sugar in a range that his doctor is happier with, his thyroid is also improving, and his thyroid med has been reduced by over 50%. He is also sleeping through the night better and not getting up for so many trips to the bathroom. With the body, all systems are interconnected. Symptoms are nothing more than your body telling you that things aren't right. It's time to listen. Sugar consumption is linked to a host of health problems. It is by far the best improvement you can make, and the amazing thing about your body is how adaptive and forgiving it is. As soon as you make positive changes your health and your body respond for the better. Our health is by far our most valuable asset. Stack up on health as well as metals. Metals are your money plan (or at least part of your plan). How about an investment in your health? Hospitals are no place to be, consider a plan to stay away from them altogether.

Mon, Jan 20, 2014 - 6:47pm
pm_newbie
-
NB
Canada

Fat Sick and Nearly Dead

Fat Sick and Nearly Dead is an amazing documentary / movie of one man's journey back to health via vegetable juicing.

https://www.fatsickandnearlydead.com/

This is so inspirational.

One of my own take aways from this was not only how the body benefits from getting adequate amounts of the life giving nutrients in plants, but also, how eliminating the bad stuff contributes to health as well. When these folks were on their juice fasts they were not having sugar, soy, gluten, dairy, corn, peanuts etc.... food for thought.

Mon, Jan 20, 2014 - 7:15pm ag1969
pm_newbie
-
NB
Canada

unblind my mind

AG, just watched the Ted video in your post "unblind my mind", it brought a tear to my eye. What a beautiful story. I shared the info re: the GAPS diet with a friend I have here who has an autistic son, that was back in November, and no response. The whole diet / health connection is like so many other things. Some sheeple are not yet ready. We can keep working on them though. Thanks for starting this forum! The interest and things shared already are awesome! I will come and visit often!

Mon, Jan 20, 2014 - 7:20pm
ag1969

PM Newbie, getting rid of the bad stuff...

Is really important, and that is why your gut bacteria are so important. Antibiotics are wiping out our ability to digest food properly, along with GMO food. The gut bacteria (Probiotics) are what do the digesting, nutrient absorption, keep your immune system functioning properly, and they make you poop properly. My old doctor told me is that the number one medical complaint in his practice what people of all ages who can't take a dump. The body is a filter, and when it can't eliminate waste properly, it is a clogged filter. What is good for digestion: Kefir Yogurt probiotics, magnesium, Fermented Vegetables all are very healthy for digestion and restoring your gut bacteria. It doesn't happen overnight, and our medical establishment knows far more about killing off the gut than they do about making it alive and healthy.

Juicing is great, but it is a pain in the ass and there is a lot of waste as far as I am concerned. Please don't make that statement make you think I am not for juicing, I have a juicer, we've done it, it's healthy, just not for me. I do however make a ton of smoothies, almost daily. I use organic fresh fruit, magnesium, kefir, flax seed, goji berries, broken cell wall chlorella. organic cacao, and much more depending what is on hand. I will also make them for the kids with frozen fruit instead and it is like a bowl of ice cream for them.

I have recently started making my own colloidal silver as well.

Mon, Jan 20, 2014 - 7:23pm
ag1969

pm newbie,

Wait until you start talking to Mom1969 re:autism. She is amazingly knowledgeable and I am sure you will enjoy her conversation. Thank you so much for your enthusiasm about this thread. I for one find it very important.

Mon, Jan 20, 2014 - 7:32pm ag1969
pm_newbie
-
NB
Canada

getting rid of the bad stuff

we are of two minds for sure... I have just started forcing myself to eat home made sauerkraut for the "good bacteria" benefits. I don't much care for it, but I eat it anyway, cuz it is a "full on" superfood. Today I just picked up some digestive enzymes for the first time. I got this tip from a chiropractor named Dr. John Bergman out of California. He has a lot of really good info online and many very good youtube videos. I have vitilago, and while I'm not really too miffed about it from a vanity perspective, it didn't really spread until I was in my forties, so by then we gals aren't as preoccupied with our looks, and I have the perspective that really in the grand scheme of health problems that a person could have this one is really quite benign.... however it is related to an autoimmune type of problem in the body, and so for that reason I want to take a careful look at it. I am convinced that I can get rid of it naturally in time if I stick to my guns. It's still early, but I'll post the group if (WHEN) I begin to see improvements.

p.s. hemp seeds will make you poop! ;) We add them to our smoothies.

Mon, Jan 20, 2014 - 7:44pm
opticsguy
-
dallas, TX

I read that poop is 60-70% bacteria by volume

If you don't have bacteria doing their work, your whole digestive process grinds to a halt. One of my friends, who is always on antibiotics for his sinuses, says he poops twice a week, and he eats more than I do. Shocking.

I don't need an alarm because at 5:45 AM every day, I gotta go, and then again half an hour later. It wasn't like this before I got into the Mg/probiotics/sugar-free lifestyle.

My cat rolls in the dirt every day, then licks himself clean. Maybe we should do that.

Mon, Jan 20, 2014 - 8:14pm opticsguy
flyinkel
-
Cedar Rapids, IA

Great post on Magnesium! So relevant!

Magnesium is typically poorly absorbed through the gut and some holistic health practitioners think up to 50% of the population is deficient. Consider topical magnesium lotions. One is Dr Shealy's Biogenic Magnesium lotion, there are others, just google. Can make a world of difference in energy levels (because of this you might want to apply in morning)

flyinkel
Mon, Jan 20, 2014 - 8:17pm
ag1969

flyinkel

My wife gives the kids epsom salt baths. Epsom salts are magnesium. Thanks for the comment.

Mon, Jan 20, 2014 - 8:33pm flyinkel
pm_newbie
-
NB
Canada

Magnesium

and am I right remembering that taking a bath in epsom salts is good for magnesium absorption. You take in more of it and more effectively via a good soak?

Mon, Jan 20, 2014 - 8:53pm silver66
pm_newbie
-
NB
Canada

Iodine video?

Hi Silver66 & AG1969, I skimmed through all the posts again and didn't find anything about Iodine. What video? Sorry, but sounds interesting and something I don't know a lot about. Would love to check it out. Thanks! :)

randomness