Socks and underware, and other gifts of kindness

424 posts / 0 new
Last post
Sat, Mar 2, 2013 - 4:00pm
foggyroad

Was Jesus Christ a real person?

The Bible itself is the principal evidence that Jesus Christ is a historical person. The record in the Gospels is not a vague narrative of events at some unspecified time and in an unnamed location. It clearly states time and place in great detail.

"In the fifteenth year of the reign of Tiberius Ceasar, when Pontius Pilate was governor of Judea and Herod was district ruler of Galilee, but Philip his brother was district ruler of the country of Ituraea and Trachonitis, and Lysanias was district ruler Abilene,

in the days of chief priest Annas and of Caiaphas, God's declaration came to John the son of Zechariah in the wilderness."

So he came into all the country around Jordan, preaching baptism in symbol of repentance for forgiveness of sins,-Luke (3:1,2,3)

foggy says----(these next two verses are a couple of my favorite scriptures, close your eyes and envision this word picture , John has just immersed Jesus, and Jesus is standing dripping, eyes uplifted...)

"Now when all the people were baptized, Jesus also was baptized and as he was praying the heaven was opened up and the holy spirit in bodily shape like a dove came down upon him, and a voice came out of heaven: " You are my Son the beloved ; I have approved you."

"Furthermore, Jesus himself, when he commenced his work was about thirty years old, being the son, as the opinion was of Joseph, son of Heli, -Luke (3:21,22,23)

The first-century Jewish historian Josephus referred to the stoning of “James, the brother of Jesus who was called the Christ.” (The Jewish Antiquities, Josephus, Book XX, sec. 200) A direct and very favorable reference to Jesus, found in Book XVIII, sections 63, 64, has been challenged by some who claim that it must have been either added later or embellished by Christians; but it is acknowledged that the vocabulary and the style are basically those of Josephus, and the passage is found in all available manuscripts.

Tacitus, a Roman historian who lived during the latter part of the first century C.E., wrote: “Christus [Latin for “Christ”], from whom the name [Christian] had its origin, suffered the extreme penalty during the reign of Tiberius at the hands of one of our procurators, Pontius Pilatus.”—The Complete Works of Tacitus (New York, 1942), “The Annals,” Book 15, par. 44.

With reference to early non-Christian historical references to Jesus, The New Encyclopædia Britannica states: “These independent accounts prove that in ancient times even the opponents of Christianity never doubted the historicity of Jesus, which was disputed for the first time and on inadequate grounds by several authors at the end of the 18th, during the 19th, and at the beginning of the 20th centuries.”—(1976), Macropædia, Vol. 10, p. 145.

Sat, Mar 2, 2013 - 9:16pm
Sun, Mar 3, 2013 - 9:22am
foggyroad

Good Morning

Simple prayer can be so uplifting, this one is very familiar..

OUR FATHER.

Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy Name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive them that trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen.

Every school day of my childhood started with the above Prayer.

These two below I borrowed from a Catholic pamplet..

An Act of Charity.

O Lord, my God, I love Thee with my whole heart, and above all things, because Thou, O God, art the sovereign good, and for Thine own infinite perfections art most worthy of all love; and for Thy sake I also love my neighbour as myself. I renounce every thought which is contrary to that love of one another, by which men are known to be the disciples of Thy Son; I forgive all who have in any way injured me, and I beg Thy grace and mercy for all the world.

An Act of Hope.

O my God, relying on Thine almighty power and Thine infinite mercy and goodness, and because Thou art faithful to Thy promises, I trust in Thee that Thou wilt grant me forgiveness of my sins, through the merits of Jesus Christ Thy Son; and that Thou wilt give me the assistance of Thy grace, with which I may labour to continue to the end in the diligent exercise of all good works, and may deserve to obtain the glory which Thou hast promised in heaven.

Prayer can be so uplifting, simple words flowing across the page filled with hope and charity.

My all time favorite.

Now I lay me down to sleep

Now I lay me down to sleep;
I pray Thee, Lord, my soul to keep.
If I should die before I wake.
I pray Thee, Lord, my soul to take;
And this I ask for Jesus' sake. Amen.
~~~~~~

Now I lay me down to sleep

Gods Peace and Grace to everyone.

Amen

Thu, Mar 7, 2013 - 3:10pm
foggyroad

Robert Fulghum Wisdom

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten by Robert Fulghum

1 . Share everything.
2. Play fair.
3. Don't hit people.
4. Put thngs back where you found them.
5. CLEAN UP YOUR OWN MESS.
6. Don't take things that aren't yours.
7. Say you're SORRY when you HURT somebody.
8. Wash your hands before you eat.
9. Flush.
10. Warm cookies and cold milk are good for you.
11. Live a balanced life - learn some and drink some and draw some and paint some and sing and dance and play and work everyday some.
12. Take a nap every afternoon.
13. When you go out into the world, watch out for traffic, hold hands, and stick together.
14. Be aware of wonder....

read more..

https://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/2399046-all-i-really-need-to-know-...

Sat, Mar 9, 2013 - 11:43am
Silver Spurs
-
TX

If I may respectfully chime in..

The saying "Seek and ye shall find, knock and the door shall be opened, ask and it shall be given" has been used in many ways ... but when applied to spiritual matters, I believe it to be true. One question each person should ask themselves is: Where or who from, am I seeking answers? The Bible says judgement is reserved unto God, but it indicates that discernment is available to man. I will quote Hebrews 11:6 ...... "for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him".

Sun, Mar 10, 2013 - 12:12pm Silver Spurs
foggyroad

Silver Spurs

Welcome, thank you for sharing.

Yes, very true, discernment is a big part of the search, finding the cramped road is where the 'rubber hits the road', so to speak, for narrow is the gate to salvation and broad the road to destruction.

Many will be deceived, the Bible warns, so finding the Truth, seems to be the greatest stumbling block we have to overcome.

Again Thank you, I will add further soon.

God Bless You.

Mon, Mar 11, 2013 - 2:21pm
foggyroad

Silver Spurs

I went to Hebrews and read through some lovely scripture defining Faith.

Yes I agree whole heartedly, seeking the truth becomes a matter of faith, faith that, there really is a purpose to our existence.

If someone doesn't feel the need to ask this question, then they will not stumble onto the truth, they really have to be actively looking for it.

Faith therefore, becomes integral to first, the asking of the question, and then, the seeking of the answer.

When I was young, I heard or read a scripture similar to this; " Let your brotherly love continue."

"Do not forget hospitality, for through it some, unknown to themselves, entertained angels."-Heb ( 13:1,2)

I always remembered this admonition, as I would come across Panhandlers, Homeless Ones, or other less fortunate Brothers.

I always saw past the grime, the unkemptness, and would search the eyes looking for the divine.

I always searched for the hidden story behind the eyes, the windows of the soul, and when able, would give what I could to help.

Not money for drugs or alcohol, but I would try to give a meal or bus fare to somewhere for real assistance.

I have also been on the receiving end of others charity, kindness and generous spirit.

The Bible has power to change and help everyone, all it takes is a little faith.

"Wherefore, seeing that we are to receive a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us continue to have undeserved kindness, through which we may acceptably render God sacred service with godly fear and awe."

"For our God is also a consuming fire".- Heb (12:28,29)

Tue, Mar 12, 2013 - 10:57pm
Silver Spurs
-
TX

Just rereading

Rereading some of the comments made - Foggyroads has presented very reasoned and clearcut apologetics concerning the Christian faith, using biblical and nonbiblical authoritative references. Atarangi also has made valid points, mainly concerning misuses/abuses with "religion". I will say that sadly there are indeed misuses and power/control issues within the church, but nevertheless much good has been accomplished by the church : charities, hospitals, homeless shelters, adoption centers, aid to domestic and foreign countries, hope and care given and received to many a person, etc., etc. My observation is that not all the apples in the basket are rotten. However, the main reason for posting my first comment was a statement from Atarangi, ..."The truly enlightened person must cast aside his or her conditioning and seek guidance from within themselves..." For me, I find this a bit troubling - I think we could all agree that no one is perfect or has all knowledge (not counting God), therefore I would think that any "guidance from within" would result in a flawed or distorted answer. That is why my question was ..."Where, or who from, do you seek answers?" I still stand by that question. The Bible as the Word of God reveals mankind in many ways, and is not always "nice and sweet", showing the good, the bad, and the ugly. The Word of God also claims God is all-knowing, all-powerful, full of truth, and the ultimate authority of morality, and that Jesus is the way to eternal life, and we as humans will someday face death and judgement. I would rather put my trust/faith/belief in God, rather than "seek guidance from within", or for that matter, another person - who might be more screwed up than myself. I will not seek to persuade anyone to change their views, esp. on an internet forum which could go on endlessly, but am just presenting my thoughts .... again, the question is - "Where, or who from, do you seek answers"

Wed, Mar 20, 2013 - 8:55am
foggyroad

Who or what is Is?

Silver Spurs wrote...

"My observation is that not all the apples in the basket are rotten. However, the main reason for posting my first comment was a statement from Atarangi, ..."The truly enlightened person must cast aside his or her conditioning and seek guidance from within themselves..." For me, I find this a bit troubling - I think we could all agree that no one is perfect or has all knowledge (not counting God), therefore I would think that any "guidance from within" would result in a flawed or distorted answer. That is why my question was ..."Where, or who from, do you seek answers?" I still stand by that question."

Firstly, Thank You for posing this most pertinent question.

I can only offer for consideration, My journey as follows.

Having, self awareness, curiosity and a yearning for the truth, my quest toward enlightenment, after a time, yielded My conclusion.

The Universe, the Cosmos, the Sun and Earth are so magnificent, so perfect, so complex and yet seemingly simple, they could not be an accident, they must have been designed, created by something, some intelligence, an Awareness.

Physics, the Laws of Nature, only led me so far, to the Big Bang, ok, who or what caused the Big Bang?

What or who was before, and responsible for the Big Bang?

Something was before , what was it?

Something had to 'be', to exist, an intelligence, an awareness, an ultimate beginning, an initial force.

Well, my conclusion is, an 'Is', as opposed to an 'is not', in other words an absence of 'is', a nothing.

What or who is an Is.

In the Bible, we can find the answer, because 'Is', is in there, "Is" is God, 'He who Is', 'I Am Who I Am' is the personal name of God, the Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end.

Moses asked God what his name was, and God answered Moses, "I Am That I Am".

"In short, the name God revealed to Moses is the most powerful religious truth in the world, a huge canopy under which all other religions and truths reside."-- quote from an article I previously linked - https://www.yhwh.com/GINGN/gingn.htm

"And Moses said unto God, Behold when I come unto the children of Israel, and shall say unto them, the God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall say to me, What is his name? what shall I say unto them?"

"And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you." - Ex (3 ; 13,14)

Fri, Mar 22, 2013 - 10:34am foggyroad
Silver Spurs
-
TX

@ Foggy

I have a feeling that we're basically on the same page. Spurs

Thu, Mar 28, 2013 - 3:35pm
foggyroad

Act of Kindness

"And being in Bethany in the house of Simon the leper, as he sat at meat, there came a woman having an alabaster box of ointment of spikenard very precious; and she brake the box, and poured it on his head."

"And there were some that had indignation within themselves, and said, Why was this waste of ointment made?"

"For it might have been sold for more than three hundred pence, and have been given to the poor. And they murmured against her."

"And Jesus said," "Let her alone; why trouble her? she hath wrought a good work on me."

"For ye have the poor with you always, and whensoever ye will ye may do them good: but me ye have not always."

"She hath done what she could: she is come aforehand to anoint my body to the burying."

"Verily I say unto you, Wheresoever this gospel shall be preached throughout the whole world, this also that she hath done shall be spoken of for a memorial of her." --Mark (14 : 3-9)

"But he held his peace, and answered nothing. Again the high priest asked him, and said unto him, Art thou the Christ, the son of the Blessed?"

"And Jesus said, I am: and ye shall see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven." --Mark (14 : 61, 62)

Gods Peace to All

Thu, Mar 28, 2013 - 4:11pm
foggyroad

Jesus Ransom Sacrifice

"And when the sixth hour was come, there was darkness over the whole land until the ninth hour.

And at the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, E-lo'i, E-lo'i, la ma sa-bach-tha' ni? which is, being interpreted, My God, My God, why hast thou forsaken me?

And some of them that stood by, when they heard it, said, Behold, he calleth E-li'as.

And one ran and filled a sponge full of vinegar, and put it on a reed, and gave him to drink, saying, Let alone; let us see whether E-li'as will come to take him down.

And Jesus cried with a loud voice, and gave up the ghost.

And the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to bottom.

And when the centurion, which stood over against him, saw that he cried out, and gave up the ghost, he said," "Truly this man was the Son of God. " -Mark (15: 33-39)

Thu, Mar 28, 2013 - 5:06pm
foggyroad

Sepulchre Tomb

"And when the sabbath was past, Mary Mag-da-le' ne, and Mary the mother of James, and Salo'me, had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him."-Mark (16:1)

"And when they looked, they saw that the stone was rolled away: for it was very great.

And entering into the sepulchre, they saw a young man sitting on the right side, clothed in a long white garment; and they were affrighted.

And he saith unto them, Be not affrighted: Ye seek Je'sus of Naz a-reth, which was crucified: he is risen; he is not here: behold the place where they laid him.

But go your way, tell his disciples and Peter that he goeth before you into Gal'i-lee: there shall ye see him, as he said unto you. - Mark (16:4-7)

"Afterward he appeared unto the eleven as they sat at meat, and upbraided them with their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they believed not them which had seen him after he was risen."

"And he said unto them, "Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature."

"He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned." - Mark (16:14,15,16)

"So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God.

And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following."

"Amen." -Mark (16:19,20)

A Blessed Easter to Everyone.

Sat, Mar 30, 2013 - 5:34pm
foggyroad

Luke (9:46-50)

Jesus's Disciples bickered, as to who was first among them.

"46Then there arose a reasoning among them, which of them should be greatest. 47And Jesus, perceiving the thought of their heart, took a child, and set him by him, 48And said unto them, Whosoever shall receive this child in my name receiveth me: and whosoever shall receive me receiveth him that sent me: for he that is least among you all, the same shall be great." John forbad another doing God's Will, and Jesus answered him.. 49And John answered and said, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name; and we forbad him, because he followeth not with us.50And Jesus said unto him, Forbid him not: for he that is not against us is for us." Bible translations in English alone number 15-17 different versions, I don't Know how many different Christian Denominations that exist, but it has to number 15-50+. Salvation through Christ's Ransom Sacrifice, is offered to all who accept the Truth. The path to God's grace, and forgiveness is through His Son, and the belief in the manifestation of Christ on earth in the flesh, His ransom sacrifice, payment in full, for Our sinful fallen nature, belief in Christ's resurrection to life, through death there is rebirth. Believe and Repent, with a humble and contrite heart, and the Grace, the Undeserved Kindness of Jehovah God, the Almighty's Salvation through the Redeemer Jesus Christ, the only Begotten Son, the King of Kings, the Prince of Peace, shall be granted, everlasting life, eternal Joy and Peace in God's Kingdom. 1 John 4: 9In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him. 10Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins. 11Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another. 12No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us. 13Hereby know we that we dwell in him, and he in us, because he hath given us of his Spirit. 14And we have seen and do testify that the Father sent the Son to bethe Saviour of the world. 15Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God. 16And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him. 21 And this commandment have we from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also. Let us not bicker as the Apostles did but follow Jesus's council and be humble and small as a child. God Bless all seekers of the Truth. Amen.
Sat, Mar 30, 2013 - 5:42pm
foggyroad

@ Watcher I hope You Don't Mind

But I enjoyed your post, and found this song Beautiful.

Beau Soir Holy

Sat, Mar 30, 2013 - 8:04pm
clueless one
-
Delaware River, PA

@ foggy road..

great to read your posts. I struggle everyday.

thanks.

"For nothing is secret, that shall not be made manifest; neither any thing hid, that shall not be known and come abroad" Luke 8:17 sounds a little like the current times, eh?
Sat, Mar 30, 2013 - 10:14pm
foggyroad

@clue

Our imperfect nature causes us all to stumble, God know our hearts better than we do, He knows our limitations.

Satan searches for weaknesses to exploit, he tries to trip us up, and when we fall, he tries to make us feel unworthy, to push us farther away from our Father.

God knows everything about you, he knows you intimately, the number of the hairs upon your head, your every thought, your every tear. He wants you to overcome and will help you, ask forgiveness when you stumble, ask for strength from Him.

He loves you and wants you to succeed, and will guide your steps and forgive your stumbles.

He wants you to endure and overcome.

Walk in the light, and offer Sacred Service of prayer to the Father, through prayer in Jesus name, and God's ear will hear.

Ask for His Divine Spirit to enter into your heart and strengthen You.

Keep trying to refine your ways, that they may be acceptable, and You will be acceptable, and Jehovah's Grace and Holy Spirit, will flow into you, God's love will fill you, and refresh your thirst like a cool drink of pure water.

Peace and Joy will assist, your journey to the Lord, read the Bible, rove about in it, read a few lines and think on them, and God will surprise you by directly answering, questions that have been on your mind.

Bless You Clueless, Gods Peace be with You

Sat, Mar 30, 2013 - 10:58pm
foggyroad

Beautiful Video

Sun, Mar 31, 2013 - 12:27am
foggyroad

(No subject)

The Black Crowes - She Talks To Angels (Live) (Subtitulado)
Sun, Mar 31, 2013 - 12:35am
foggyroad

Angelic Beauty