The Prospector's Shack

70 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mon, Jan 21, 2013 - 10:50pm
RockerBoxer
-
Canada

Rock Creek, B.C.

Thanks MUDbone, here's one from "Gold Trails and Ghost Towns" with Bill Barlee on Rock Creek, Boundary Country, all good ground obviously staked, both placer and hardrock. It would have turned ugly if it wasn't for James Douglas. 3 parts of recommended watching...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNiF5Ajqd7g

There's drill bits turnin' allright,

RockerBoxer

Tue, Jan 22, 2013 - 12:52am
RockerBoxer
-
Canada

Wisdom of Oldtime Miners

Do you want to see gold?

I moved to an old gold mining town in 2008 and the one thing I've been stacking the most are memories.

The best $25 I've spent was on my first free miners licence,

RockerBoxer

Thu, Jan 24, 2013 - 12:26am
RockerBoxer
-
Canada

Bullion Pit Mine

Video unavailable

The name says it all,

RockerBoxer

Sat, Jan 26, 2013 - 10:15pm
RockerBoxer
-
Canada

The Hemlo Gold Story

This is a Canadian classic mining story.

The Hemlo Gold Story

"You could have shipped the ore by greyhound bus..."

Enjoy,

RockerBoxer

Fri, Feb 8, 2013 - 6:25pm
RockerBoxer
-
Canada

Au is where you find it...Cincinnati

Video unavailable

Imagine living in a house your whole life and not realizing paydirt was 40 feet below the basement and spending the majority of your life looking for it thousands of miles away from home. That blue clay should have given you a clue,

RockerBoxer

Mon, Feb 18, 2013 - 5:44am
alwaysbullish
-
India

Hi, Read this forum for the

Hi,

Read this forum for the first time today. I just have a story to tell on the same lines. Although I don't have mush details about it and no one to tell more about it to me now.

The little details I have are as follows.My Grandparents used to live in Pakistan near rawalpindi. Around some mountain area where a river used to flow. My grandmother told me stories of her time that how the people near the river used to sieve through the sand and find gold nuggets or small gold dust which they used to sell to my grandparents fathers shop for daily needs like flour, matchstick etc. This si the way My grandmother's parents accumulated wealth soon and bought dryfruits/ apple farms etc.

But when the India - Pakistan partition happened during independence, they had to leave all their wealth and they could just get in few gold ornaments with them to india. They spent out their true money during that time. So this true wealth was their Saviour and helped them live through those difficult times.

I never got to hear much on that as someone (astrologer) told my Grandmother that It will not be good for my young mind.

My Grandmother left us for her heavenly abode few years back. So now I have no one from that era to give me more details.

I also was never interested in Gold/silver and considered it as a dead investment till two years back. I started with reading about gold silver etc two years back in Jan 2011 and now I have it all on my mind all the times. The crush JPmorgan - buy 1 ounce silver theme got me to know more about GS.

Sun, Feb 24, 2013 - 7:43pm
القراع عصفور
-
WI

inside an abandoned tin mine in Cornwall England

the beautiful colors are due to acidic water reacting with various metals. this mine's (the Wheal Jane) geology is an example of what are referred to as "sulfide" ore bodies. when these ore minerals are exposed to air, oxygen reacts with metal sulfides producing sulfuric acid. this acid then can dissolve otherwise insoluble metals resulting in acid mine drainage containing "heavy" metals. this particular mine also has plenty of arsenic that becomes mobile as it is chemically similar to sulfur. common sulfide minerals are pyrite (iron), galena (lead), and chalcocite (copper). i have collected these minerals in abandoned mines, and afterwards my hands always smell like sulfur (rotten eggs) for a few days.

Wheal Jane Mine visit

the tin mines in Cornwall are some of the oldest "hard rock" mines in the world. what is meant by that is that the technology did not exist before the industrial revolution to follow veins of minerals into hard rock. most all mines up to this time were only surface workings. modern steel, explosives, and the steam engine (for pumping out water) for example all had to happen first, and they happened beginning in England. in the early mining booms across the US, most of the miners initially came from Cornwall, because no one else had the experience. those of you who travel around the historic mining areas of the US are probably familar with some of the left over Cornish traditions, such as the pasty. i better quit now before i run out of time for editing.

all great works are works in progress.
Tue, Mar 19, 2013 - 3:06am alwaysbullish
RockerBoxer
-
Canada

Rawalpindi Placer Gold

Hi alwaysbullish,

Great story about your Grandparents. I did some research regarding Rivers and drainage in Rawalpindi; two main rivers, the Indus and Jhelum. The Indus River is being explored by remote sensing by the University of Houston geologist, Shuhab Khan. Considering this area has historic gold placer production, it might be the River from where the gold was won. Kind of reminds me of the Fraser River in B.C. Never been to Rawalpindi yet. Here's the link---

https://eas.uh.edu/features/geos-nsm/gold-prospecting.php

RockerBoxer

Mon, Apr 22, 2013 - 12:36am
RockerBoxer
-
Canada

Reed Gold Mine& the 16-1

Historical Moments - Reed Gold Mine
The Original Sixteen to One Mine, Inc.

Some mind blowing ore came out of the 16-1, when it's that good, who cares about price:

"The largest ore shoot in the Sixteen to One mine, for example yielded nearly 1370 kilograms (44,000 ounces)

from an area less than 12 metres-square from 60 centimetres of quartz next to the hanging wall." -Bulletin 108 Chapter 8 British Columbia Geological Survey

Still another 5 feet of snow covering the gold fields in my backyard, think I'm gonna start that shaft in the basement after all,

RockerBoxer

randomness