Hurricane Isaac

158 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mon, Aug 27, 2012 - 8:51am
Cottonbelt21
-
Northern California, Saudi Arabia

Hurricanes ...

... fwiw, having worked offshore in the GOM for years (rigs/platforms) & having lived in N.O. (pre-Katrina) any hurricane under Cat 3 just not that big of a deal assuming you are prepared which most knowledgeable Gulf Coast residents are - for those not prepared, all bets are off especially the NE corner of Cat 4 / 5 ... now on the left coast, back to worrying about earthquake/fire prepardeness

Mon, Aug 27, 2012 - 9:27am
Orange

Armstrong

Odd, that this has not been in the US MSM.

Neil Armstrong: Barack Obama under pressure to grant state funeral

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/space/9501034/Neil-Armstrong-Barack-...

Mon, Aug 27, 2012 - 10:37am Dagney Taggart
treefrog
-
Xanadu, FL

panama city/panama city

if life weren't confusing enough already, there are two cities of the same name (kinda like london, ontario and that other one). panama city (florida) and nearby panama city beach are a spring break destination (like daytona and ft. lauderdale) favored by college students from the midwest, the south, and "rednecks" in general. it's often referred to as the "redneck riviera." a good place to party if you're young and reckless.

treefrog land and cattle co.
Mon, Aug 27, 2012 - 11:19am
Prize Fighter
-
FL

Redneck Riviera checking in

Redneck Riviera checking in here....

This should be a good one. In Walton County we've had mandatory evacs for low-lying areas, RVS and trailers. I live in an area only accessible by bridge from the west, north or east. Once sustained winds are over 45mph they close the bridges. They suspect that will happen this afternoon. Once that happens, we're locked in baby. Homes here are built for wind but not much elevation to speak of for storm surge. That will be the ugly. Labor Day holiday looks to be a bust this weekend. Lot of lost business.

Here's a local webcam with a shot of the beach. That beach will be covered in the next day or two.

https://sowal.com/webcam/sandestin-beachcam

Mon, Aug 27, 2012 - 11:32am
Istack

Just..

checking out new forum format. nice job!

Mon, Aug 27, 2012 - 12:04pm
waxybilldupp
-
Flyover land

Good news, Isaac

wunderground showing Isaac to be a Cat 1 when he lands. Seems like good news to me.

https://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/?lat=26.1&lon=-85.3&zoom=6&type=h...

Wax off
Mon, Aug 27, 2012 - 12:29pm
Be Prepared

@Dagney - The Fed Charter

Congress removed the 99 year term limit to the Fed Charter a long time ago... and changed it to be at such time that the Congress revokes their charter.... otherwise Indefinite.... :-)

Plan for Tomorrow, but Work your Plan Today
Mon, Aug 27, 2012 - 12:42pm
treefrog
-
Xanadu, FL

first rainfall from isaac

cloudy and breezy all morning here in north florida (near tallahassee). we, just a few minutes ago, got our first little rainshower. winds, light and variable, up to 15 mph (estimated). so far, for this location, isaac is underwhelming.

Mon, Aug 27, 2012 - 12:49pm
moondog

Angels Don't Play This HAARP

I don't know if this was mentioned previously, but for all you folks who follow HAARP. I found this mentioned over at ZeroHedge. Anyone know if this is a goof?

https://www.haarpstatus.com/haarpstatus/haarpmap.html

Mon, Aug 27, 2012 - 1:15pm
Magpie

@moondog

I've been watching this guy for a long time now. More HAARP info. Scroll down a bit for his latest on Isaac.

https://sincedutch.wordpress.com/

ancaro imparo.
Mon, Aug 27, 2012 - 2:13pm
Nana

@ moondog & Magpie

Yep, it's at magnitude 10.0 peak shortwave.........

Mon, Aug 27, 2012 - 2:38pm
treefrog
-
Xanadu, FL

most of the discussion about

most of the discussion about nola's experience with katrina was dealing with the problem rather than the solution. i don't believe anyone wants a solution

i believe the main cause of the disaster was the fact that there was (is) a city with large sections built BELOW SEA LEVEL. this is insane! it is a continuing invitation to disaster.

i have a simple solution to offer: a change to the building codes that would prohibit the construction (or reconstruction) of any building with floor space intended for human habitation at less than five feet above mean high tide level.

sensible? you bet! politically possible? no way!

Mon, Aug 27, 2012 - 4:07pm
treefrog
-
Xanadu, FL

wussicane

Click image to zoom in – Download GIS data: 0.1 degree .shp 0.5 degree .shp

Other images: 5-Day track on3-Day track on3-Day track off

nice colors! is that a hurricane? ...or an avocado?

halfway across the gulf and still not hurricane strength.

looks like some nice rain for the corn belt :) a couple months late :(

InteractiveNew!

Mon, Aug 27, 2012 - 4:20pm
Magpie

Dutch's explaination

ancaro imparo.
Mon, Aug 27, 2012 - 4:54pm
Nuclear Rocketman
-
LA

Louisiana Update

Where I live in Louisiana, the majority of people are transitioning today from preparation to panic. Yesterday, you could get gasoline at every station and Home Depot had stacks of water cases. Today, most gas stations are out or only have premium left with long lines, and there is no water to be found that I know of. Lots of vehicle accidents since everyone is in a hurry.

Similar to financial transitions that occur, you have to be prepared beforehand since you do not know when the majority shift will take place, and by then it is too late.

Mon, Aug 27, 2012 - 4:59pm

Latest NHC advisory is out

Still trop storm but now 70mph sustained. Pressure still 981 mb.

"Upgraded" back to Cat2 at landfall. Expecting 100mph strength.

Personally, I'm still worried that it could "bomb out" in the final 6-8 hours and make it to 110-115 and, on this current path, those winds would come right through New Orleans.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCPAT4+shtml/242054.shtml

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT09/AL0912W5.gif

And that the end of this loop, you can see the beginning of an eyewall:

https://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/floaters/09L/flash-avn-long.html

Mon, Aug 27, 2012 - 6:00pm
Loud Noises
-
Nashville, TN

Update from FL

I just wanted to check back in for anyone wanting an update on my situation in Ft Lauderdale. I just got my power back on after 16 hours without. Today has still been stormy and I actually got caught out in a squall earlier. While I consider myself well prepped for short to intermediate term situations... two things did jump out in my circumstance:

I was REALLY pissed about my power loss because I hadn't prepped my fridge/freezer beforehand. I expected to have constant power through this storm. If it was a serious hurricane, I would have prepared my perishable foods accordingly and not worried so much about losing a whole bunch of stuff. Fortunately, this surprise ended before anything could spoil. 95% of my food and food storage is not in the fridge anyway, but I was bothered nonetheless.

I do have a small solar setup, enough to charge AA batteries and USB devices. But since acquiring it last year, I switched from a Blackberry to an iPhone 4s and didn't make sure that it can juice up my iPhone. The two don't like each other, apparently. I need to troubleshoot this asap.

Otherwise, it was no more than a sticky, humid inconvenience. I value these times as opportunities to prepare for a much more serious situation in the future. Turdites on the Gulf Coast, stay safe!

Mon, Aug 27, 2012 - 6:07pm
WhyMeLord

It's all about Wind Shear

Wind shear is often the most critical factor controlling hurricane formation and destruction. In general, wind shear refers to any change in wind speed or direction along a straight line. In the case of hurricanes, wind shear is important primarily in the vertical direction--from the surface to the top of the troposphere. The troposphere is the region of the atmosphere that our active weather is confined to, and extends up to about 40,000 feet altitude (a pressure of about 200 mb) in the tropics in summer. Hurricanes fill the entire vertical extent of the troposphere, and are steered by the average wind through this layer. When one hears the phrase, "wind shear is 20 knots over the hurricane", this typically refers to the difference in wind speed between 200 mb (the top of the troposphere, 40,000 feet altitude) and a layer where a pressure of 850 mb is found--about 5,000 feet above the surface

Link

From Spaghetti Models:

Mon, Aug 27, 2012 - 6:12pm
WhyMeLord

Preparedness - I Think we're learning...

As this is happening and afterwards, it's interesting to note those folks who have been kind enough to post their Prep levels and where it got them. Hopefully, this will not be a serious event, but will help to teach all of us the things we need to know.

Mon, Aug 27, 2012 - 7:19pm
Jasound

Latest NOAA Wire w/links

URGENT - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED TROPICAL STORM ISAAC LOCAL STATEMENT NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW ORLEANS LA 555 PM CDT MON AUG 27 2012 ...TROPICAL STORM ISAAC GETTING STRONGER AND COULD BECOME A HURRICANE SOON... .NEW INFORMATION... ISAAC GETTING STRONGER... .AREAS AFFECTED... THIS LOCAL STATEMENT PROVIDES IMPORTANT INFORMATION AND RECOMMENDED ACTIONS FOR PEOPLE AND MARINE INTERESTS IN SELECT LOCATIONS AND COASTAL WATERS OF SOUTHEAST LOUISIANA AND SOUTH MISSISSIPPI. .WATCHES/WARNINGS... A HURRICANE WARNING CONTINUES FOR THE FOLLOWING LOCATIONS... WASHINGTON...ST. TAMMANY...ASCENSION...LIVINGSTON...ASSUMPTION... ST. JAMES...ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST...UPPER LAFOURCHE...ST. CHARLES...UPPER JEFFERSON...ORLEANS...UPPER PLAQUEMINES...UPPER ST. BERNARD...UPPER TERREBONNE...LOWER TERREBONNE...LOWER LAFOURCHE...LOWER JEFFERSON...LOWER PLAQUEMINES...LOWER ST. BERNARD...NORTHERN TANGIPAHOA...SOUTHERN TANGIPAHOA...PEARL RIVER...HANCOCK...HARRISON AND JACKSON. FOR MARINE INTERESTS...A HURRICANE WARNING CONTINUES FOR ALL OF SOUTHEAST LOUISIANA AND MISSISSIPPI COASTAL WATERS. A TROPICAL STORM WARNING CONTINUES FOR THE FOLLOWING LOCATIONS... POINTE COUPEE...WEST FELICIANA...EAST FELICIANA...ST. HELENA... IBERVILLE...WEST BATON ROUGE...EAST BATON ROUGE...WILKINSON... AMITE...PIKE AND WALTHALL. A FLASH FLOOD WATCH IS IN EFFECT FOR ALL OF SOUTHEAST LOUISIANA AND SOUTH MISSISSIPPI. PLEASE LISTEN CLOSELY FOR ANY FLOOD WARNINGS THAT MIGHT BE IN EFFECT FOR YOUR AREA. .STORM INFORMATION... AT 5 PM CDT...THE CENTER OF TROPICAL STORM ISAAC WAS LOCATED NEAR LATITUDE 26.4N...LONGITUDE 86.2W. THIS WAS ABOUT 350 MILES SOUTHEAST OF NEW ORLEANS LA...OR ABOUT 330 MILES SOUTH-SOUTHEAST OF GULFPORT MS. STORM MOTION WAS NORTHWEST AT 12 MPH. MAXIMUM WINDS WERE 70 MPH. .SITUATION OVERVIEW... WHEN MAKING DECISIONS...DO NOT FOCUS ON THE EXACT FORECAST TRACK. ISAAC IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE MOVING NORTHWEST TOWARD THE CENTRAL GULF COAST FOR THE NEXT FEW DAYS. IT IS CURRENTLY FORECAST TO MAKE LANDFALL AS A CATEGORY ONE HURRICANE NEAR THE SOUTHWEST PASS OF THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER TUESDAY NIGHT. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... FOR THOSE UNDER A WARNING...NOW IS THE TIME TO RUSH TO COMPLETION PREPARATIONS FOR THE PROTECTION OF LIFE AND PROPERTY. EVACUATE IF DIRECTED TO DO SO BY LOCAL OFFICIALS...OR IF YOUR HOME IS VULNERABLE TO HIGH WINDS OR FLOODING. FOR INTERESTS AT PORTS...DOCKS...AND MARINAS...URGENTLY COMPLETE PRESCRIBED PREPARATIONS ACCORDING TO YOUR EMERGENCY OPERATIONS PLAN FOR TROPICAL CYCLONES. IF YOU LIVE ON A BOAT...MAKE FINAL PREPARATIONS FOR SECURING YOUR CRAFT BEFORE LEAVING IT. BE SURE TO ACCOUNT FOR THE POSSIBLE CLOSURE OF BRIDGES AND CAUSEWAYS. REGARDING ANY COASTAL WATERS UNDER A WARNING...SMALL CRAFT SHOULD REMAIN IN PORT AND WELL SECURED.